Start by marking “Mouse's First Day of School” as Want to Read:
Mouse's First Day of School

Mouse's First Day of School (Mouse's Firsts)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Mouse decides to hide inside a bright red backpack...and ends up at school! As he explores this place full of colors, letters, and numbers, Mouse discovers a world beyond his imagination--and makes some friends along the way. Now a Classic Board Book, Mouse's First Day of School is sure to entertain children with its simple, energetic text and sweet illustrations, as well ...more
Board Book, 34 pages
Published June 22nd 2010 by Little Simon (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse's First Day of School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse's First Day of School

Alexis Fiore
A little mouse found a hiding place in a backpack and before he knew it he was at school. The story shows the mouse discovering items that are generally found in classrooms. I think this book is best for younger children who are in preschool or kindergarten.
Carly Brown
For Megan's Mason Award

Level: Early

Genre: Picture Book

Curricular Use: Guided or Independent reading

Topic: First Day of School

Social: First day of school, getting kids ready for school, making kids familiar with the things in a classroom setting

Literary Elements: Onomanapeoia, Rhyming, word art, giving an animal human traits

Strong connection between the pictures and the text
Destiny Dawn Long
The oil painting illustrations have some nice saturated color to them that I think young kids will enjoy. The art style is sort of cutesy, but not so much so as to be irritating.

The text is sort of middling. There are a lot of sound words used, which I guess is fun. But at the same time, it's all a little predictable and formulaic. There's nothing wrong with it per se, just felt a bit dull to me.
Missy Kirtley
This book was bright and colorful, and probably would be good to read with a child at a younger age. I was going through some books to try and prepare my three-year-old for her first day of Montessori Preschool, and I don't think this one helped that much.

But the pictures are bright and cheerful, and kept her interest. I'll have to try it again with my younger daughter.
Christyn
This book was bright and colorful with simple, but cute illustrations. There are sound words, colors, shapes, and I could see it being a fun way to get kids interested in going to school/daycare. The twins (who I got the book for) are a bit young for school - but they enjoy making the sound noises and looking at the pictures. ...more
Asha Smith
This book is great for kindergartener's or preschooler because it eases the tension and the first day of school and shows a student how exciting and fun the first day of school can really be. Mouse is excited for his first day and all the new things he will learn.
Jamie Forrest
What a great book for the beginning of the school year. It introduces (or reviews) a lot of school vocabulary. It would be a great mentor text for beginning writing in which each page includes a small description followed by the vocabulary word.
Ruth Ann
Simple text with large, bright illustrations make this book a winner for preschoolers or children headed off to kindergarten. As mouse explores a classroom, kids will discover what they might find when they go to school!
Meredith
I really like the pictures, but some of the things that Mouse discovers at school are confusing. Why does he find pots and pans? Or a plant? What about those things say "school?" I'm probably over thinking this.
Jocelin
Ok, so I picked up the book because the little mouse on the cover was just too cute. Real easy story for the little ones. The illustrations in the book were simple and colorful.
Amanda
Illustrations are rich and sweet. I love this story! Not biased or anything- just a school teacher here that found a gem!
Terry
Borrow it only if you have a young child JUST entering school who seems anxious about what's going to happen.
Tricia
may be cute story time book for twos. shows mouse going to school in a backpack and learning/making friends.
Jaime
My 3 year old love all these mouse board books by this author!
Mckinley
Introduction to the first day of school by a mouse stowaway.
Brooke
Simple lapsit book with plenty of opportunity for interaction.
Kayla
My daughter made me read this book three times!!!
Joni Fletcher
Cute book for the beginning of the school year!
Jennybug
Easy Reader. Really cute pictures!

Shelf 1
Pam
Great for a kindergarten class in the fall
Conquering Dinner
Conquering Dinner marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015

• Mouse's First Summer
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • Mouse's First Snow
  • Mouse's First Fall
Little Quack The Christmas Magic Polar Bear Night Mouse's First Fall The Apple Pie That Papa Baked