Start by marking “Animal Ingredients A to Z” as Want to Read:
Animal Ingredients A to Z

Animal Ingredients A to Z

Animal Ingredients A to Z is the bible for vegetarians, vegans, and caring consumers. More and more, we find our everyday foods containing peculiar -ingredients—many of which are animal derived. As well as a comprehensive listing of animal ingredients, this easy-to-navigate guide contains supplemental information on vegan nutrition, food alternatives, and contact informati ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 100 pages
Published February 1st 2004 by AK Press (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Ingredients A to Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Ingredients A to Z

Start your review of Animal Ingredients A to Z
Greg
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This review is for the first edition, which was printed in zine format. I read it when I was a vegetarian and sometimes vegan, and this book is great. If you ever thought you'd like to spend way more time in a grocery store than you do already, just reading ingredient labels, then this is for you. Once you read this you realize it's really difficult to avoid animal products, and you can feel really self-righteous after a two hour shopping trip knowing you're all animal friendly and shit.
Katy
Mar 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vegans
It's helpful, but I would prefer a different organization to make it a little less overwhelming. For example (in addition to the dictionary format), a shampoo section with the list of animal products which one is likely to find in shampoo. It would make the book thicker, but a bit more practical for shopping purposes. But it (or something like it) is a must have for vegans. I've heard you can buy the book for your ipod; maybe it's a little easier to use that way.
Plus, in the beginning of the boo
Peacegal
Mar 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Here’s a dictionary of common and uncommon animal ingredients found in consumer products, designed to make vegan shopping easier. Entries range from “well, duh” (cod liver oil) to more obscure (depanthenol). I’ve always found listings like this more than a bit overwhelming. Unfortunately, many entries muddle things further with the caveat “may be from animal or plant sources.”

Sadly, animal slaughter is so integrated into every part of our society that it’s impossible to avoid all products of cru
Katey
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: New-ish vegetarians/vegans
As a practicing vegetarian and half-ass vegan of some years, I already know about what to avoid. For the most part. I had this book on my shelf but never read it; I'm kind of glad I didn't read it earlier, as it can be so vague, since so many of the ingredients they list can be from a plant or animal source, it really isn't helpful. And if I was a vegan alcoholic, I would appreciate the fairly extensive section about vegan beer, wine, and liquor a lot more.

I would encourage any new vegetarian or
Beth
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-drink
Not very clear - many items listed could come from plant or animal sources, and there were no ideas or advice on how to determine which source an ingredient came from. The only advice was "avoid to be safe." No offense, but I'm already avoiding a lot due to vegetarianism and food allergies, so this is not helpful advice!
Shafe Shaffer
Nov 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
It would have been awesome if they had actually updated the information that I put together for the 1st few editions instead of having some famous authors write some new introductions.

The whole idea was not to be preachy, it's a shame that it sold well enough to put out this garbage without any research to update it.
Miranda
A helpful and informative resource for those new to meat-free eating and those that have been veg for a while. I used to take it grocery shopping with me and I learned so much from this book. I highly recommend it to those who are interested in eating less animal products or going completely vegan.
Cynthia
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone.
Essential reference book for the compassionate shopper to have on hand at all time! Lots of great info - helps to bring awareness into all areas of your life.
Eva Becker
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vegans, aspiring vegans
What would you do without it?
Kellyanne Higgins
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent resource for vegans and for people who want to know what's in their food and their cleaning and self care products
Gg
Handy dandy!
Billy Nye
Apr 27, 2016
Tierney
rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2007