Start by marking “Up Over Down Under” as Want to Read:
Up Over Down Under

Up Over Down Under

(Students Across the Seven Seas)

A super-special S.A.S.S. exchange novel offers romance in the land down under?and right here in the U.S.?when two exchange students swap places!

Eliza Ritter has high expectations for her semester in Melbourne, Australia. Sure, she?s participating in an environmental program, but really she hopes to spend her time meeting cute boys. So when she meets a hot surfer, she is t

Published April 29th 2010 by Speak

To ask other readers questions about Up Over Down Under, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up Over Down Under

Jesten
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved the idea of this book yet, it just kind of fell flat when I was actually reading it. The characters weren't all that great, and the writing wasn't extremely striking, though it was charming.
Camilla
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this book, however I wish that it was just about Billie. I almost always wanted to skip the chapters about Eliza and I just really didn't like her character; she just keep making bad decisions that were hurting everyone.
Caroline
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I bought this book from my library’s used bookstore because it looked cute. It’s the story of two girls taking part in an foreign exchange program based on environmental issues. Billie from Australia is swapping places with Eliza from Washington, DC.

I expected this to be a cute read and maybe learn a little about Australia in the process. I thought it would be about the girls trying to fit in with their new environments, and it kind of was, but mostly it was about their environmental projects.

T
Alycia
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great for teenagers interested in DC and/or Australia. Just a fun book.
There were some errors about DC that were puzzling. Surely the author and editors knew that Dulles airport isn't in Maryland and that DC has a very strict rule about how tall buildings can be. Nothing important but anyone who reads this book familiar with the area would give it a couple of good eye rolls. Maybe there were some Australian mistakes too.
Clodagh
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like this series, but it's obvious that neither of the authors are Australian. I know way more about Australia than they do, and I've never been there. NO one from this part of the world confuses Marmite with Vegemite. NO ONE! I'm so glad that the book wasn't set in NZ, because then I would be even more offended than I am.
Sally
I really did like this, in spite of all my nitpicking! I do just wish they'd gotten an actual Melburnian (or even just any Australian) to proof read this because there were a number of itty bitty details that just irked me... although the attention to detail that was correct WAS nice! I liked both girls and enjoyed reading about both of them. The Parker/Billie romance did seem a bit forced and unnecessary though, and I would have enjoyed more to the story as it seemed to end with a lot more stil ...more
Kimber
This is a trimmed down version of my review, to view the full review visit The Book Ramble.

Eliza and Billie exchange places for a semester as they embark on their S.A.S.S. experiences. Eliza, the daughter of a politician, is thrust into the world of fieldwork and surfers when she heads to Melbourne, Australia. Bille, a proactive greenie, heads to Washington D.C. and faces the world of office work and protests. Can they successfully make it through the semester without causing strife in their hom
Liralen
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
In this version of the S.A.S.S. world, Eliza has fled Down Under for the chance to let loose a little, while Billie has gone Up Over in the hopes that being in D.C. will allow her to save the environment once and for all.

More than ever I wish I knew more about the writing guidelines for the series -- there's a lot of variation in how the programme works. In some books, students are placed with families; in some books, they're in dorms; sometimes they rarely interact with anyone outside S.A.S.S.;
Allie Rae
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book after I had finished the anger S.A.S.S book called When Irish Guys Are Smiling. I thought this would be just as good as the one I read but I was sorely disappointed. I found this book hard to read because of Eliza and all her antics. My only reason to keep on reading was Billie.

Billie is a greenie, surf addict, hippie, save the whales type of girl. Eliza is more off a pink, boy crazy, girly, I care more about myself then other people type of person.

Throughout the whole book El
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Eliza's dad works for the EPA in Washington, D.C. His is a highly respected position, which means Eliza's behavior plays a factor in his profile. As a result, she's been the perfect daughter, but when an opportunity arises for an exchange program, she's thrilled to be on her own Down Under.

Billie, on the other hand, can't wait to become involved with the political aspects of saving the environment. She's taken a hands-on approach in the past, but n
Ari
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love the S.A.S.S. series becuase most of the places profiled are places that I dream of visitng. This was a bonus because I;ve been to D.C. a few times and I love it, so I enjoyed reading more about the city. And I've always wanted to visit Australia. I've read two or three YA books st in Australia and never been able to grasp the concept of footy. This book explained it all in a way that made sense to me ;)

I also really liked that this book in the S.A.S.S. series had some more depth to it in
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Another cute S.A.S.S. adventure, this one involving Eliza (the Yank in Australia) and Billie (the Aussie visiting the USA). I have to say, I found Billie's character and plot line a lot more enjoyable than Eliza and her escapades. Maybe this is because Billie actually cared about the environment and making a change in the world, while Eliza mostly cared about working on her tan and trying to party without getting caught. I enjoyed reading a bit about the differences the two girls experience, liv ...more
Beth Rodgers
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
It took five or six chapters for me to get more into it, but once I got past those chapters, the book flew by. I loved the juxtaposition of Eliza (from Washington, D.C.) and Billie (from Melbourne, Australia). It was fun watching them delve into each other's lives, even though they had never actually met. I truly felt worried for each of them at certain points, based on predicaments that they found themselves in throughout the novel. All of the S.A.S.S. (Students Across the Seven Seas) books, wh ...more
Istiningdyah
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a reread for me.
I remember not enjoying this book the last time I read it because I had a book hangover.
I'm glad that I enjoy reading this book a lot more.
This book is quite different from other sass books as we have two main characters here, Billie and Eliza. They do the sass exchange program for an environmental internship. While the subject of environmental is interesting, most of this book rather talk about the girls' rebellious adventure. Billie is a passionate eco-warrior and ready
Sydney
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it
It was slow getting through the flight over from their home countries, then Eliza's story sped up while Billie's stayed pretty slow to me until halfway through. I like that Bille was more interested in the real reason for the trip in the first place. She was interested in helping a cause. Eliza just wanted a tan and to go to the beach, which for me is understandable since I live in Florida :). If I picked between the guys, I would totally go for Macca ;). I think for the most part I like Eliza's ...more
Nielson
In the latest installment of the S.A.S.S.(Students Across the Seven Seas) series, native Aussie Billie Echols and American born Eliza Ritter exchange homes and lives for a semester abroad. While Billie is serious about her experience abroad, anticipating to make a mark in the environmental world, Eliza is only interested in Australian boys and beaches. In alternating chapters, we discover they both get what they want but in a way they didn't imagine! Cute book but I wish there were more about Bi ...more
Jordan Clouse
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Up Over Down Under was a very good book. I enjoyed this book a lot. It was very romantic and adventurous. This book was very long though. Other than that it was very good. I enjoyed the swapping between the characters.

Eliza and Billie the two main characters switched places. Billie went to America. Eliza went to Australia. They were two completely different places. I enjoyed them going back and forth between chapters.

I recommend this book to girls only. It's romantic and fun. I enjoyed it a lo
Bethany
I liked that this S.A.S.S. book involved two different exchange students, that was interesting to layer their stories. Was left wanting more at the end...seemed to come to an end quite quickly without too much resolution.
Candy
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Didn't like it very much, especially how the American was written as being more interested in partying and having fun and using her father's position to get in the program than actually learning something.
Angie
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-teen
I read this to see if we should keep this series at my library. Overall, 2.5 stars.
Ally Brown
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Angie The Librarian
Jul 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Fizza
Mar 24, 2012 added it
nice ending..although eliza got into soo much trouble!!
the ending was sweet..i like bellie's story better in the US..
Zahraa
Jul 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I felt it was a bit boring at the begining but later on i felt it was a bit good not excellent nor very good
Majka Hahn
A light-hearted story, but with really underdeveloped characters. I went in to the book looking for a light read, and that is exactly what I got.
Jenny
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic, teen, teen-2010
Seeing two characters exchange from both their points of view was fun.
Chrissy
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who liked 'the sophomore switch'
Shelves: travel
I found it really fascinating to read about two people who lived at each other's houses for a semester and how different it is to experience what another person has to deal with ever day.
Stacy
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall cute, but I'm not thrilled with the decisions Eliza kept making. She finally learned her lesson, but it took way too long....
Christina Borgoyn
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book series a lot.
Elaine A.
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book, a bit different from the others but overall, it isnt bad.

• Swede Dreams
  • Getting the Boot
  • Spain or Shine
  • When Irish Guys Are Smiling
  • A & L Do Summer
  • Banana Splitsville (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #1)
  • Love & Sk8
  • Have to Have It (Nannies, #3)
  • Ellie Andrews Has Second Thoughts
  • Boys, Bears, and a Serious Pair of Hiking Boots
  • Little Miss Red
  • Love, Hollywood Style
  • In the Stars
Micol Ostow has been writing professionally since 2004, and in that time has written and/or ghostwritten over 40 published works for young readers. She started her reign of terror with Egmont with her novel FAMILY, which Elizabeth Burns named a favorite of 2012 on her School Library Journal-syndicated blog, A Chair, a Fireplace, a Tea Cozy. Micol's graphic novel, SO PUNK ROCK (and Other Ways to Di ...more

Students Across the Seven Seas (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Westminster Abby