Start by marking “Friends Like These: My Worldwide Quest to Find My Best Childhood Friends, Knock on Their Doors, and Ask Them to Come Out and Play” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,510 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Danny Wallace has friends. He has a wife and goes to brunch, and his new house has a couch with throw pillows. But as he nears 30, he can't help wondering about his best childhood friends, whose names he finds in a long-forgotten address book. Where are they now-and where, really, is he? Acting on an impulse we've all had at least once, he travels from London to Berlin, To ...more
Published September 2nd 2009 by Little, Brown and Company (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Friends Like These, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends Like These

Steven Scaffardi
Aug 05, 2011 Steven Scaffardi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lad-lit
When I grow up, I want to be like Danny Wallace! Because here is a man who has carved out a career for himself still doing all the things you might drunkenly discuss and laugh about whilst in the pub, but would then never actually do when you came to your senses the morning after. But looking at Danny Wallace’s back-catalogue of books and you see that not only is he the man that still carried out these immature boy tasks, but he has wrote a whole bunch of books of them. I guess we shouldn’t be s ...more
Nicholas Karpuk
Oct 06, 2009 Nicholas Karpuk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
Dear Daniel Wallace,

I won your book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I enter any giveaway where the synopsis seems halfway interesting.

First, I must take you to task for the book jacket. It looks awful, like a scrap-booking mishap, with photos of people that will mean nothing and make no impact on anyone who hasn't already read the book.

I must also take umbrage with your hyperbolic quotes:

"Irresistible" - Daily Mail

No part of this book defies resistance. It's slow paced, only intermittently funny, and
J.M.
Sep 10, 2009 J.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, nonfiction
A fun and humorous look at a man's quest to reconnect with his childhood friends, not just through email or text or Facebook but rather to get back in touch with them in an old-fashioned way and see if they can't be friends again. Parts of this book are so silly, I laughed out loud. Great fun.
Angus McKeogh
Sep 27, 2015 Angus McKeogh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressed. The comedy is always there in a Wallace book and he manages to slip in some humanity too. There's usually something a little heartbreaking but it's always a great story. Really liked it.
Jun 08, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me want to get in touch with all my childhood friends...and then I remember that I'm only thirteen and 95% of my childhood friends live in my area and are in my class at school! A fantastic book though, showing how important friendship is and how you'll never know where you or your friends will be in twenty years. It was really funny throughout and I honestly didn't want to put it down: definitely worth 5 stars!
Shana
Sep 26, 2012 Shana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How could you resist a title like that? It’s friendly (har har), engaging, and describes the book down to a T. As his 30th birthday approaches, Wallace begins to really feel the transition from boy to man, and fears it. By chance, his parents send him a box full of photos and random objects from his childhood, including an old address book. An idea dawns on him: Why not hunt down these old friends and see how they’re handling adulthood?

The journey that ensues is hilarious, both in Wallace’s anti
Jak
Oct 24, 2008 Jak rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This feels a little bit like he’s running out of ideas for what wacky adventure he can get him self mixed up in next while trying to live up to the truly excellent ‘Join Me’ and entirely original ‘Yes Man’. Not to mention that is some parts it just feels a little contrived. These minor criticisms aside ‘Friends like These’ is still a very enjoyable read.

It is also heart warming and life affirming in that it demonstrates that while a friendship may well be lapsed it’s never lost and reconnecting
Penny
Apr 30, 2015 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a damn good idea! Setting out to meet up with the friends you had in primary school, to prove that even though you haven't seen each other for many years, you're still friends at heart! Thanks Danny - geez I really appreciate your work and the honesty you convey. I wish you were one of my primary school besties, I do. And I really wish I'd met you when you wrote part of this in New Zealand. What more can I say except...well...POTATOO!!!
Clinton Sweet
Oct 20, 2014 Clinton Sweet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I often feel like a big kid despite being 30 years old. It was nice to read from someone who is the same. I got really excited when he mentioned he had a pint in South Yarra and was visiting the Corner Hotel #nostalgia
Adi Alsaid
Apr 29, 2012 Adi Alsaid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, engaging read. It will make you want to go on an adventure or three, and that's always a good thing.
paul togher
Mar 14, 2017 paul togher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d like to begin this by making it clear that I should not like Danny Wallace. The pervading Western portrayal in advertising and television of men as overgrown children rescued from social, sartorial, hygienic and even physical catastrophe by their benevolently bemused spouses that has reached an irritating saturation point and (you have been warned) is in danger of becoming a self-fulfilling outlook, is almost perfectly espoused by Wallace’s gormlessly infantile on-page alter ego. Long senten ...more
Emily Ross
This makes me want to meet up with all my childhood friends. And wear skinny jeans.
Christine (booktumbling)
Friends Like These: My Worldwide Quest to Find My Best Childhood Friends, Knock on Their Doors, and Ask Them to Come Out and Play by Danny Wallace was just what the doctor ordered! Entertaining, funny and sweet.

The story is simple enough: become worried turning 30 implies becoming an adult, seek to rekindle relationships with those from childhood and find out if they are also feeling a little queasy about the big 3-0. Readers follows Mr. Wallace as he starts his search online posting a profile o
Meghan
Apr 05, 2010 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meghan by: Mallory
Cassandra
Jun 30, 2012 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Handlung:

Danny Wallace steht kurz vor seinem dreizigsten Geburtstag, doch irgendwie graut Danny vor diesem magischen Tag. Ist er denn überhaupt schon bereit erwachsen zu werden?
Als seine Mutter ihm dann noch eine Kiste mit alten Dingen schickt und er unter allerlei Krempel sein altes Adressbuch findet, entschließt sich Danny seine alten Freunde zu suchen und zu erfahren, was aus ihnen geworden ist.
Dabei lernt Danny, dass Freunde einen Flug wert sind und viele weitere Dinge.

Meine Meinung:

Wie
Dane Cobain
Jul 02, 2013 Dane Cobain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friends Like These is a lot of fun – it tells the story story of what happened to Danny Wallace when, as an adult, he decided to try to get in touch with his former childhood friends, with predictably hilarious results. Danny Wallace’s work is always funny, and it’s somehow made even funnier because it’s true, and he has an easy-to-read writing style that it’s hard not to love.

And one of the interesting things here is that, in stark comparison to some of the other things that Wallace has done, l
Rebecca
If you want to pick up a Danny Wallace book, I highly recommend this one. Not only could I relate fully but it doesn't hurt that this/was his most recent book. I believe he has another book out at the moment, but it's more of a compilation of articles he has written for some rag in the UK. So if I ever find the book, it will be new to me! Anyway, this book really hit home. Danny wrote it on the eve of his 30th birthday (me last year, kill me now!) when his mother mailed him a box of old stuff an ...more
Vivien Ernst
Jan 13, 2013 Vivien Ernst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danny Wallace ist eine britische Medien-Persönlichkeit und vor allem durch seine witzigen Kolumnen, TV-Auftritte und Bücher bekannt, in denen er wahre Begebenheiten aus seinem Leben festhält.
Im Vorgänger-Buch ‘Yes Man’ erlebten wir unter anderem wie Danny Lizzie kennen lernt und mit ihr zusammen kommt. Inzwischen sind die beiden verheiratet und haben ein Haus gekauft und eigentlich findet Danny es auch ganz schön ‘sesshaft’ zu werden, aber als sein 30ster Geburtstag näher rückt, wird ihm doch et
Kim V
Oct 22, 2009 Kim V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danny Wallace, the perpetual boy-man, is about to turn 30. For Wallace the big 3-0 symbolizes “Adulthood, Responsibilities, and Display Cushions!” And he’s not sure he’s ready for the transition. On the eve of his thirtieth birthday, with a stroke fortuitous timing, Wallace receives a box of childhood memorabilia. While perusing through his personal collection of 80’s artifacts, Wallace discovers a long forgotten address book containing: “The Twelve” -- the names and addresses of twelve former c ...more
Janet
Aug 02, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shortly before his 30th birthday, Danny’s Mum sends him a huge box containing memorabilia from Danny’s childhood, including an old address book. It contains 12 (13, if you include The Michael Jackson Fanclub!) addresses of children with whom he was best friends over the years.

However, his Dad’s job meant that the Wallace family moved a few times, and over the course of time and distance, Danny has lost friends with all the names in this address book. However the memories of them are as strong as
Lucy
Apr 07, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I nicked borrowed this book off the boyfriend the other week when nothing on my kindle was inspiring me and I just fancied an easy read. I actually got it him for Christmas because he loves the film Yes Man- I wasn't sure if he had read the book the film is based on so I went for another Danny Wallace instead. When he read it he said I should too.

Well I did say after reading Charlotte Street that I wanted to try some of Wallace's non-fiction, and who am I to deny an offer of a book?

I'm sure ever
Mina
4.5 stars, really. I enjoyed this one very much. For everyone who read or tried to read Unfinished Business: One Man's Extraordinary Year of Trying to Do the Right Things and found it too dry, this is your solution. I got a laugh out of every chapter, and I cheered for every reconnection. I must admit, I even shed a tear or two for Andy.

My only issue, and the only reason that this book is not getting the full five stars, is because I took forever to read it. It did not have the same "get off th
Kenny
Oct 29, 2014 Kenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I'd probably give 3.5 - it made me laugh out loud on the train quite a few times - but was also 100 pages too long, so I skimmed some bits that were just filler. There's a sense of fun about the man-child wondering about what his old friends were doing (his family moved around a lot) in the pre-facebook world (which I remember), so while this was the most 'real' of his stunt books (we all did/do it to a degree), it was also the most bland in places - Danny had a fairly normal childhood, and y ...more
Aaron Williams
May 20, 2011 Aaron Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BRILLIANT!
Like the author - I definitely went through (and even 2 years later am still going through) issues of REALLY passing into adult-hood - or reaching/passing THIRTY years old. I could definitely identify with many parts of this book.
UNlike the author however, at 32 years old I have FOUR beautiful children, I have not written best-selling books that have been (or will be) turned into successful movies starring Jim Carrey (good movie actually, and now I've gotta read the book), nor do I hav
Xanthi
Jul 15, 2012 Xanthi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Danny Wallace's other books and loved them. This one did not disappoint. I often found myself giggling away whilst reading this book. Danny is funny in an almost smart but childlike, upbeat, fun kind of way. As in his other books, he gets up to all sorts of things, to the point of near randomness. I say 'near', as he does have a loose method to his madness, which sees him travelling to Australia, Germany and Japan, looking for old school friends that he has lost touch with.
There is s
Mark
Sep 23, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, drama
Having done the Facebook thing (which I thoroughly enjoyed), this rang a lot of bells for me and, as Wallace notes early on, the more specific he made things to him, the more universal they seemed to become. He uses the fear of turning 30 well (I remember that fear well, far worse than anything I felt turning 40) and it makes a nice framework for the book. The search starts off well, there’s plenty of humour and just when you think this is the easiest quest ever, he discovers one of the friends ...more
Jan 08, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
My niece recommended this book to me and I was very interested in reading it. As usual, all the blurbs on the back of the book said how funny it was, how it's the funniest book you'll read this year, etc., etc. To be honest, I laughed (or rather chuckled) twice during the first 100 pages. As I reached page 100 (1/4 of the way through the book), it suddenly hit me that I didn't care. I didn't care how the book ended, what happened with his other friends, if they kept in touch, or how he found his ...more
Simon
Sep 15, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danny Wallace deserves an OBE. I read Yes Man when I was 23 and in a bit of a rut and it motivated me to say 'yes' to more things, takes chances are actually have "adventures". Feeling like a light but jolly read I bought Friends Like These and low and behold, it's about a Danny Wallace approaching 30 and trying to reconnect with his old friends. Freak me sideways but I'm currently 29.5 years old. Danny Wallace to the rescue again.

Friends Like These is a funny and touching story in a similar vei
Giuliano
May 28, 2016 Giuliano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the eve of his thirtieth birthday, Danny Wallace embarked on a long and uncertain journey. His aim? To update his address book by tracking down and meeting up with twelve very good friends from his childhood.
His journey would take him around the world and force him to push the boundaries of what is considered accepted behavior amongst old friends.

On a deeper level, this book will make anyone (who doesn't have a heart of stone) remember fondly what it was like to have friends when they were
Katie Brown
Oct 06, 2009 Katie Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, adventure
When I read the description of this book, I had trouble imagining how someone could write an entire book about a process that might take 30 minutes on Facebook. I mean, my dad is on Facebook--surely this author could find a few childhood friends there?

Of course he could. But what made this book an entertaining and heartwarming story are the author's memories of his childhood friends, the mysteries of how their lives turned out, and the hijinks that ensued as he attempted to reconnect with them.

I
  • Are You Dave Gorman?
  • Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
  • Summer Heat
  • The Diary of Dakota Hammell
  • Screen Burn
  • Sit, Ubu, Sit: How I went from Brooklyn to Hollywood with the Same Woman, the Same Dog, and a Lot Less Hair
  • Turn Left At The Trojan Horse: A Would-Be Hero's American Odyssey
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • Firesong
  • Naked in Dangerous Places: The Chronicles of a Hungry, Scared, Lost, Homesick, but Otherwise Perfectly Happy Traveler
  • Larry's Kidney: Being the True Story of How I Found Myself in China with My Black Sheep Cousin and His Mail-Order Bride, Skirting the Law to Get Him a Transplant--and Save His Life
  • Speaking Truth to Power
  • BTW I Love You
  • Around the World in 80 Dinners: The Ultimate Culinary Adventure
  • Istanbul: The Collected Traveler: An Inspired Companion Guide
  • How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
  • I Shudder and Other Reactions to Life, Death, and New Jersey
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work exper
More about Danny Wallace...

“Hello?'
'Mum?'
'Yes! Who's that?.'
'Your only son.'
A pause.
'Daniel?'
To be fair, I'd only given her one clue.”
28 likes