Start by marking “Lost for Words” as Want to Read:
Lost for Words

Lost for Words

My New Year's resolution: I'm moving on from everything that's happened. I'm not going to talk about it, think about it, let the memory pounce upon me like a waiting tiger, nothing.

All Sophie wants to do is forget. But it's not easy now that everything's changed. The house feels too big, school drags on for too long, lights are too bright, the room spins, and her hands get
Published May 11th 2010 by HarperTeen (first published August 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lost for Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost for Words

Linger by Maggie StiefvaterThe Reckoning by Kelley ArmstrongCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
2010 YA novels (part 2)
130 books — 312 voters
Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckTiger's Quest by Colleen HouckThe Seduction Expert by Saya Lopez OrtegaInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Wishlist
194 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Christie
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Sophie releases the details of the worst thing she ever did through journal entries and this turns out to be a blessing and a curse in Alice Kuiper’s second YA novel, The Worst Thing She Ever Did. It’s a blessing because we get to hear Sophie’s authentic teenage voice and a curse for the same reason. Teenagers are, by definition, insular and of course no where is this made more apparent than in the pages of a teenager’s diary.

Sophie is keeping this journal at the request of her therapist, Lynda,
Brooke
Honestly, this is a hard book to rate.

I didn't enjoy it, but I think that's the point. Sophie, the narrator and protagonist, really, really drove me insane. She's grieving after the death of her sister, yet doesn't 'reveal' (although I found it very obvious and saw where it was going early on) details as to how her sister died until about the last quarter of the book.

The book is set in the UK which I liked. I didn't really feel the voice Sophie was supposed to have, I guess due to my lack of int
Theresa Miller
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Okay, when the main character describes herself as plain and expounds on that, you can't go and put a heavily-made-up model on the front cover- it just seems ridiculous. There is no reason to have this woman on the front cover- who the hell is she supposed to be?
I did love about this, and about Hold Still, that they both show how parents can want to the best for their kids, but not always know how to deal with their own hurt. Still, as I always say at work, kids tend to not pop out with an inst
Crini
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Ein Buch für eher traurige Stunden:
Auf ganz besondere Art und Weise schildert Alice Kuipers wie es ist, nicht nur mit den alltäglichen Problemen eines Teenagers klar zu kommen, wie Streit mit der besten Freundin, Verliebt sein, dass Eltern einfach immer peinlich sein müssen, sondern zusätzlich noch mit dem Verlust eines geliebten Menschen umzugehen und damit beziehungsweise ohne ihn leben zu lernen.

Besonders gut gefallen hat mir, dass das komplette Buch als Tagebuch geschrieben ist. Und dabei he
Heather
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. I had seen it all over the Internet lately, and was intrigued. Plus, I love the cover. (Yes, I do tend to judge a book by its cover. ;-) )

The story was OK. Having lost someone I love, I could feel Sophie's pain – to a degree. Thankfully, I've never been in a situation like she was in, so I can't fully understand. Anyway, it became clear to me pretty quickly that she likely was suffering from PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) – especially once she started having
Meera
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Plot: It is about a girl called Sophie who struggles to forget an incident that happened last summer. It is all about how she copes with her new life after that. She finds it hard to communicate with the people around her; she rarely talks about it, and basically pushes people out. She starts writing a diary on a notebook her psychiatrist gave her at some point believing it’ll make her better. The book is Sophie’s diary stating her life on a day to day basis.
Likes: I did not find it that likeabl
Reaganstar
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
I have to say, that this book took a bit for me to get into. I thought it was going to turn out as a whole book of a girl being unable to move past the death of her sister. However, once I got about half way through the book things changed and you could see a huge change in not only her but other characters in the book, I was glad that by the end of the book there were others seeking help in many various ways.

After, the entire book I am gonna summarize the book as a good guide for others going
Heather
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Having lost her older sister recently in a tragic bombing whilst travelling to the National Gallery on a train, Sophie finds herself struggling with her loss and, after it was suggested by a councillor, begins writing her thoughts about the present and her memories of Emily in a journal.

At the start I felt very sorry for Sophie, but that didn't last long! I found her to be extremely sell-obsessed, judgemental and uptight. For most of the book she was either yelling at her mother and friends, fee
Daniela
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eu adorei este livro! Consegui colocar-me na pele da Sophie e da mãe dela. Os dois lados da mesma realidade, da mesma perda, do mesmo recomeço.
Gostei muito da escrita simples que nos toca no coração. Pareceu-me real.
Estações Literárias

Uma história sobre a perda de um elemento familiar de forma trágica e inesperada e as repercussões que este evento causa na família.

Sophie perdeu a irmã e fechou-se numa redoma de sofrimento. Tornou-se agressiva para com a mãe, uma estranha na escola e simplesmente deixa de saber estar.

Perder alguém é inexplicavel, podemos referir que é mau, mas só quem passa por isso, sabe como é sentir as emoções que essa perda provocam e como esse momento perdura toda a vida. A questão torna-se dúbia, quando
i dont drink food and i dont eat water
Lost a star for misleading title
Angela  M
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a truly griping story of a young girl who is trying to deal with the unbearable grief of losing her sister. Sophie is completely devastated, and her therapist tells her to keep a journal, which is what this book is. Every day Sophie goes through life trying to forget the fact that her sister is dead. Her mother walks around in a daze and barely talks to her. It's been a year spent in a house that is completely quiet.

Sophie's love for her sister was completely touching. I felt for her t
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
This is an emotional book written in journal entry form. In some cases, this is a problem with me for books, but Kuipers writes to where it feels seamless to me. I got the feeling I was peeking into someone's private life, so she was successful getting me in Sophie's mind and world.
The friendships are really unstable in this book, but I think that it reflects real life and the stress these are put under (ed and ptsd).
It is frustrating yet also beautiful how the story unfolds, and finding ou
Dion Ribeiro
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorei!
Fala da perda de um ente-querido, do sofrimento e do sentimento de culpa, das dificuldades em seguir uma vida normal depois de uma perda devastadora como esta, fala de amizades e de amores adolescentes. Está escrito de uma forma simples e concisa, que consegue transmitir-nos os sentimentos dos personagens de uma forma tão real e tão profunda que nos toca intensamente.
Clarabel
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un roman triste, et qui rappelle la fragilité de la vie. Ou comment vivre avec le fardeau de se sentir responsable, coupable de la perte d'un proche. J'ai pleuré à deux reprises, parce que j'ai un petit coeur aussi tendre qu'un chamallow, mais je ne pense pas que le roman avait pour but de virer au pathos. Un deuxième roman qui confirme tout le bien que je pense d'Alice Kuipers!
La Mordue
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Et voilà moi qui pensais de pas pleurer ... Je me retrouve en larmes !
Ce livre a tellement fais écho chez moi. Beaucoup d'émotion, un coup de coeur
Mon avis complet :
Celine___
Du vu et revu... trop plat et pas assez original
Tintentraeume
Ich bohrte meinen Stift in das Holz meines Tisches und schrieb den ersten Buchstaben meines Namens. S. Sophie. Ob ich ein völlig neuer Mensch sein könnte, wenn ich einen neuen Namen hätte? Ein Mensch ohne Vergangenheit. Ein Mensch, der nur die Zukunft vor sich hat.

Erster Satz:
Ich blicke auf die Worte hinab, sie sind schwarz wie Tintenspinnen, und ich betrachte die Netze, die sie weben.

Inhalt:
Manchmal brennen sich Bilder in dein Gedächtnis ein, verfolgen dich, wie ein Fluch. Als wollten
Joana Barroca
I admit it took me a while to get into the story, I was just bored at the beginning, but as the story continued I became more interested, I was glad about that ending.

Her sister died in a terrorist attack and she couldn’t let go of the memory, it was painful and I get it, but one thing that I really disliked was how she treated her mom, she was just trying to help, asking what she could do to make things better and Sophie didn’t care and always left when her mom talked to her, and yelled at her
Julia
May 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
O matko, nie pamiętam, kiedy ostatnio czytałam książkę, która tak bardzo mnie denerwowała. Próbowałam na nią spojrzeć z perspektywy mojego piętnastoletniego ja, ale nawet to nie pozwoliło mi wystawić pozytywnej oceny.
Coraline
The first half of the book seemed dissapointing and boring and I almost gave up on it. It had that poor teenager-ish style. But the other half changed it all. It's a story about life, about feelings and about a teenager and her mother who try to get over the death of the teenager's sister.
Jemima
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so amazing!! I loved it so much and I couldn't put it down! It was such a great read, even though it is quite sad, it has a good plot and good characters :))))
Sara
This book started out slow but then got really good half way through. I did find that the characters a tad annoying.
Brina
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nachdem ich bereits von "Sehen wir uns morgen?" restlos begeistert war, stand für mich schnell fest, dass ich auch weitere Bücher von Alice Kuipers lesen möchte. "Vor meinen Augen" kommt an "Sehen wir uns morgen?" nicht heran, dennoch konnte mich die Geschichte zum Großteil von sich überzeugen.

Die Autorin hat einen wunderbaren Schreibstil. Auf sehr eindringliche und dennoch sensible Art und Weise, erweckt sie ihre Charaktere zum Leben und bringt diese dem Leser sehr gut rüber. Obwohl das Buch l
Christy
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-fiction
Sarai Segura
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
The book Lost for Words ended up being a book I randomly choose from my library. The story is told through the thoughts of a young girl named Sophie, who has had a horrible accident occur to her recently. She writes things down in a journal that her therapist gave her so she could in way relieve herself from any bad thoughts. After reading this book, I would say that isn’t not for everyone and its not that interesting/memorable afterwards, the reason behind this is because of how the story is to ...more
Lena
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt: Über ein halbes Jahr ist nun seit dem Tag vergangen, an dem Sophies Schwester Emily gestorben ist. Und obwohl sie so verzweifelt versucht, weiterzuleben und den traumatischen Tag aus ihren Gedanken zu verbannen, muss Sophie in jedem Moment ihres Lebens an ihre große Schwester denken. Die Trauer ist noch immer so groß und schmerzhaft, als ob Emily erst gestern aus ihrem Leben verschwunden wäre. Sophie nimmt den Rat ihrer Therapeutin an und schreibt ihre Gedanken über ihr Leben und vor all ...more
Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
The Worst Thing She Ever Did really took me by surprise. Based on the plot description alone, I knew I would probably enjoy it, but I had no inkling just how much I would come to enjoy reading the novel. Emotional and absolutely heartbreaking at times, it was a novel that pulled me in from the very first page and I simply couldn’t put it down… finishing the novel in a mere couple of hours.

Sophie was just like any other teen when one awful day in London, a terrible event suddenly rips away her ol
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine: The Worst Thing She Ever Did 3 18 Mar 08, 2014 04:53PM
  • The Second Trial
  • The Life of Glass
  • Borderline
  • Friend Is Not a Verb
  • A Blue So Dark
  • Chance to Dance for You
  • The Opposite of Tidy
  • Little Black Lies
  • So Many Boys (The Naughty List, #2)
  • Stranded
  • Wish
  • Fishtailing
  • The Summer of May
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped
 photo Goodreads-icon_zps520d2a85.png Google-Plus-Icon Tumblr-icon YouTube-Icon Email-Icon

Free Online Writing Course? Sign up here: eepurl.com/bA03lH

I was born in London, England, and I moved to Canada in 2003 when I fell in love with a Canadian. We live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which took a while for me to learn how to spell. I have four children, a girl and three boys.

My first novel, Life on the Refrigerator Door, was published in 29 countries, won several awards an