Start by marking “Sinner (Paradise, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sinner (Paradise, #3)

Sinner

(Paradise #3)

Some say roll with the punches. Drift with the tide. Nothing can stop the inevitability of change. There was a time when 300 Spartans disagreed with such mindless thinking and stood in the gap.

Now it's time for 3,000 to stand in the gap.

Sinner is the story of Marsuvees Black, a force of raw evil who speaks with wicked persuasion that is far more destructive than swords or
Published June 28th 2009 by Thomas Nelson (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinner

Zachary
Ted Dekker has some interesting ideas about tolerance. He sheds light on a particularly disturbing aspect of American culture and politics; namely that we should be tolerant of all peoples, regardless of their color, nationality, gender, age, or personal beliefs except Christians because Christianity is an exclusive belief system intolerant of any other system which rejects or defies it. Why is this so disturbing. Let me explain: In America, we say that we have to be tolerant of Muslims because ...more
Janie Johnson
I went into this read with exceptionally high expectations since both Showdown and Saint were extraordinary reads. I love the Good VS. Evil Concept that this series was based around. With Sinner I did not feel that adrenalin and overall excitement that I feel with just about every book I read of Dekker's. It started good and then quickly lost that special Dekker touch. It went from Good VS. Evil to religion VS. religion, and belief against belief. This is one thing I dislike so much about our so ...more
T.E. George
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will leave the plot for others to rehash. Instead, I would rather comment on the journey Dekker seems to be making. As I have noted in other reviews, The Circle Trilogy was the height of Dekker: fresh, innovative, multi-layered, and spiritually profound. The Books of History novels have headed downhill from there. Showdown was still very good, Saint okay, and Skin barely passable. Sinner offers me hope but still doesn't rise back to the level of Black, Red, White.

Some will not like Sinner beca
Leah
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After going for several years not reading Ted Dekker, this book was a good reminder of why i used to enjoy this authur. The book has definatly rekindled my love for his writing so much so that i am now looking for other books of his that i can read.

i really enjoyed the story, even though it was the 3rd book in the series i never felt like i was missing chunkc of information.

definatly a good read.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sinner by Ted Dekker is a peek into a future where “tolerance” has become the new religion. Our children are fed a constant diet of the necessity for “tolerance” in school every day. While we become tolerant of cultures and religious beliefs outside our own, we find that the beliefs that are still in the majority are becoming less tolerated. I’ve often felt that as a society, we need to stop focusing on and celebrating the differences between all of us. Instead I’ve thought that if we could use ...more
Broken  Bookshelf
Even though I thouroughly appreciated the themes addressed in this novel, I was left wanting more. And not in a good way. I'm a huge fan of Dekker and his books are always packed with adrenaline provoking plots and symbolism that opens your eyes to how creative of a writer he is. In that aspect, this one was lacking and just left me feeling unsatisfied. Considering how amazing Showdown and Saint were, there was just something missing in this one and I can't put my finger on it.
I enjoy this seri
Symon
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
For those of you who didn't know, 'Sinner' is the third book in the 'Paradise' trilogy written by Ted Dekker. The trilogy involves the 'Books of History' which the Circle trilogy was all about ('Green' is coming out this year... will that mean it will be the Circle quadrilogy?). I love the way Dekker's books all seem to be linked to each other... even 'House' is linked to Paradise. But I digress.

Sinner is written as two books (Book 1 and Book 2 interestingly enough) and tells the story of three
Brenten Gilbert
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the first book i’ve ever read from the pen of Ted Dekker… i know that seems amazing, but i’d just never gotten around to digging into any of his books and then, the notion of this 10-book series really seemed a bit too much of a commitment for me to settle down with, especially since i wasn’t certain that it would work out…

Now, having read Sinner, i want to dive into the rest of the series… unfortunately i only have one of the other books in my possession (Showdown) and there’s always the pressu
Syahira
I'm kind of surprised that the book is intended to be read in circle and there was no 1st in any turn... so this book is the first for me despite it being said as the third book of the series. Although I think the initial religion approach in near future society is interesting, but half of it was a bit ludicrous... especially with the bit about Johnny and his near utopia influence on the people. Darcy is likable in the beginning but she began to be corrupted with the power she held in persuading ...more
Cindy
This is the third book of Ted Dekker's that I've read and to be honest I was a bit disappointed. Although I was somewhat familiar with most of the characters from reading the previous two books, they were a bit flat for me in this one. It was an OK read and I didn't put it down for three months before finishing, but I found it to be the least engaging of the Paradise series. Dekker is an excellent author and I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books, but this one was lacking in character developm ...more
Lolapaige
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Ted Dekker's view of a world taken over by a crooked government bent on political correctness under the guise of "tolerance" is spot on. I started this book not realizing it was part of a series and although it references previous ones it didn't leave you completely clueless as to what had happened before. All in all a very interesting read.
Adrielle
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A weird, crazy ending to a twisted dark series that never gripped me from the start. I'm not saying I didn't like it because a three star rating says I did. However, overall I found it slightly depressing because it was SO dark.
Keiki Hendrix
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dekker is one of my favorite author's, if not my favorite. This was a great project but with every new book from Dekker, I yearn for the depth and insight of his first few novels.

Still a great read.
Lou
Interesting but I'm not hooked.
Audrey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate a 3 Star as a good read. Dekker has an incredible gift at paralleling the abstract mystery of the holy scriptures with tangible plot and human experience. It’s that way with everything he writes.

There are technicalities of this book that would prevent me from rating it higher. One in particular is that within the dialogue I am frequently returning to the previous phrase, paragraph.....page.....to try and determine who said what. It’s quite frustrating.

There are also scenes in which the
Chloé
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Review: ???

I really don't know how to review this book. Having read the previous two books in this trilogy, I knew going into this novel that Ted Dekker writes a slow-burning plot - he likes to introduce you to all these things that seemingly don't connect or relate in any form or fashion, and in the last 100 pages or so reveals exactly how everything does just that. This worked really well in Showdown and relatively well in Saint. In this book, however, parts of it were just plain boring
Caleb Lail
Yeah, it took me a month to get through this, because this book actually made me dread reading.

First off, I love Ted DeKker, I do! He makes Christian-y popcorn thrillers that are often enjoyable and well-paced.

This one?

Oh God.

He tries to touch on race and it comes off as incredibly racially insensitive. “Paradise” is mainly white people. He makes sure to point that out. I know that’s not what he was going for, but whatever right-wing beliefs he holds show up in a bad way in this book.

The pacing
Marianne Nichols
I absolutely loved this trilogy. Ted Dekker has quickly become one of my favorite authors. I'm happy there are still many books ahead for me.

Johnny, Billy and Darcy are all grown. Living separate lives, until they are all brought together by Marsuvees Black. It's been 13 years and these three survivors are all that's left of Project Showdown. All three have been left with some amazing mind powers. Tolerance is the world wide way of life. A new law is passed making religious talk "hate" speech. T
Mikey
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allen Baldwin
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written with solid characters,a very enjoyable novel, and a relevance for today that screams to be heard. The reality that tolerance has become the bludgeon of intolerance for the left is a message that must be heard and reversed of this experiment of the USA is to survive.

This book can stand on its own but much will be missed if you skip its parents and grandparents. Start with the circle series.
Stacey Ibarra
I love Ted Dekker's writing, and I would never normally rate one of his books so low. This book, however, was difficult for me to get through. I have been re-reading all of The Books of History Chronicles. The first time in 10+ years I have read these stories, and Sinner was just so much slower than all the others. This is honestly my least favorite Dekker book that I can remember. The beginning and ending were great, just everything in the middle is forgettable.
Lee Devinney
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a tremendous book and with the political climate in America right now it made out that much more relative. This is about religion, politics, freedom, tolerance, hate, freedom of speech, government suppression and control. This book grabs a hold of a person and makes you question what is right, wrong, good, or evil, how we treat others, and what role the government plays.
Hannah Dillard
This was a good culmination to the trilogy, focusing this on love. It leaves just enough questions to reiterate that Dekker has written other books in this world, the Lost Books and the Books of History. I still have a few more books to complete!
Peggy
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I gave this a 5, l felt a little let down with the ending. Love the story and the characters. After having read the Circle Series and the Immortal trilogy I was somehow expecting more.
Julia
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spooky! But I loved it! So many twists and turns that there was no way to figure out what would happen next! Great read!
Jessica
Jan 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this book, it was so bad.
Ruth-Anne Hayes
Not really my genre. Reading it with my son.
Holderofthemt
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting conclusion to the trilogy. In my opinion the best of the three books.
Kent Dickerson
Liked this one much better than the last one I read of Dekker's. The book, like many of Dekker's is a thriller and a quick read.
Jim Trela
Slowest read of the trilogy. Confusing at times
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinner 1 32 Nov 20, 2008 08:37AM

• Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • To Kill With Reason
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • Sorcerer
  • Prophet
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Demon
  • Fire of Heaven (Fire of Heaven, #3)
  • Darlington Woods
  • When the Day of Evil Comes (Day of Evil, #1)
  • The Copper Scroll (The Last Jihad, #4)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • First the Dead (Bug Man Series #3)
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.

Paradise (3 books)
  • Showdown (Paradise, #1)
  • Saint (Paradise, #2)
“Just because the truth disturbs someone doesn't make speaking that truth hate speech.” 17 likes
“Just because someone sees the truth doesn't mean they will accept it or allow that truth to change them.” 16 likes