Start by marking “Obsessives, Pioneers, and Other Varieties of Minor Genius: Part One from What the Dog Saw” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  614 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
<!--StartFragment-->What is the difference between choking and panicking? Why are there dozens of varieties of mustard-but only one variety of ketchup? What do football players teach us about how to hire teachers? What does hair dye tell us about the history of the 20th century?
In the past decade, Malcolm Gladwell has written three books that have radically changed
Published October 20th 2009 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Obsessives, Pioneers, and Other Varieties of Minor Genius

Aram Sohigian
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly love the way Malcolm Gladwell writes and describes the people that he interviews in his stories. He has such joy and inquisitiveness that it shines through and I can't help but feel excited and intrigued. There were about 4 or 5 different stories here and they all interested me. Ron Popeil and his family are amazing. I never knew how driven and eccentric they were and are.

The birth control story and how women in western cultures have many more menses and a higher rate of cervical and ov
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the first part of the collection of articles Malcolm Gladwell has chosen from his writings for The New Yorker. This part is about Obsessives, Pioneers and Other Varieties of Minor Geniuses. As Gladwell usually does, he tackles quirky subjects and discusses them to come up with conclusions that serves as gateways to larger meanings. In this part he talks about a variety of subject, such as american kitchens, ketchup and mustard, hair dye, stock market, and birth control pills.

I LOVE Gladw
Lucius
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of Malcolm Gladwell essays. Unlike some of his other books where he has a clear topic and something to keep coming back to, this book is just meandering essays which often go nowhere. Often, he concentrates on insignificant details, as if he were writing a novel in the Victorian age. It feels like he needed to pad his word count for the articles at times, so he writes paragraphs about how it feels to arrive at someone's house or someone's office. Unlike Oliver Sacks, Gladwel ...more
Michelle
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
The Tipping Point and Outliers were such page turners that I was completely engrossed in. This book was good but I had such high expectations after the other two books so I was left feeling a bit disappointed.
Robin Spielberg
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, non-fiction
I like all of Gladwell's books. Like the others, this one was insightful, interesting and intriguing. If you have never read this author/researcher, I would recommend OUTLIERS a bit more than this one.
Charmin
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
When we love someone, we fulfill everything about them. That’s loving.
The freedom they have to do great work is more valuable, and harder to match, than a pay raise—and employees’ spouses, partners, and families are among ROWE’s staunchest advocates.

Amy
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating peak into these stories. Haven't read anything by Gladwell that I haven't liked.
Peter
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
*only the Nassim Taleb chapter, "Blowing Up", from 2002.
Pallavi Deshpande
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent real life stories of pioneers, some succeed and others don't but it's the perseverance and belief that counts.
Jen Noonan
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting compilation of Gladwell's work, but I prefer it when he writes surrounding a single theme.
Heather
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
excellent book. I love Malcolm Gladwell even if I don't fully agree with everything he says. :)
S.m. Phillips
Jul 12, 2013
David
Sep 22, 2011
Suzanne
rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2012
Beth
Jun 30, 2011
Chelle
Mar 04, 2016
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • Untangling the Mind: Why We Behave the Way We Do
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • The Art of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules for Making Meaningful Connections
  • The Art of Uncertainty: How to Live in the Mystery of Life and Love It
  • Confessions of an Unlikely Runner: A Guide to Racing and Obstacle Courses for the Averagely Fit and Halfway Dedicated
  • The Office and Philosophy: Scenes from the Unexamined Life
  • Build Your Dreams: How To Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • 30 Rock and Philosophy: We Want to Go to There
  • The Power of Forgetting: Six Essential Skills to Clear Out Brain Clutter and Become the Sharpest, Smartest You
  • Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business with a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Are We Alone? Philosophical Implications of the Discovery of Extraterrestrial Life
  • The FBI
  • The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers
  • The Queen's Promise
  • You've Got a Book in You: A Stress-Free Guide to Writing the Book of Your Dreams
  • The Renaissance Soul: How to Make Your Passions Your Life—A Creative and Practical Guide
Malcolm Gladwell is a United Kingdom-born, Canadian-raised journalist now based in New York City. He is a former business and science writer at the Washington Post. He has been a staff writer for The New Yorker since 1996. He is best known as the author of the books The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (2000), Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (2005), Outliers ...more
More about Malcolm Gladwell...

“Taleb’s hero, on the other hand, is Karl Popper, who said that you could not know with any certainty that a proposition was true;” 0 likes