Start by marking “The Production of Security” as Want to Read:
The Production of Security

The Production of Security

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The introduction to this stunning work is by Murray Rothbard, who calls French radical Gustave de Molinari (1819-1912) the great innovator in the market provision of security. Indeed, he might be regarded as the first proponent of what is called anarcho-capitalism.

Molinari was steeped in the old liberal worldview of Bastiat and hence was a dedicated champion of private pr
Published 2009 by Ludwig Von Mises Institute (first published 1849)

To ask other readers questions about The Production of Security, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Production of Security

Nick
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
P1: In all cases free competition secures unto the consumer a higher quality service for a lower price than either monopoly or "communism" (democratic economic planning).

P2: The provision of security is a service.

Q: Quality of service will increase and price will decrease if monopoly or communistic provision of security is abolished, and replaced with free competition.

The rest of the book (or rather essay?) is basically an exposition of the above. Its rather basic, but that makes sense given tha
Sacha Valero
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Gustave de Molinari lays down some compelling reasons for privatizing that most sacred of holy cows; security.

I know, I know, security is provided by the state. Always has always will. Why? Because it's why the state exists. Or so those who put their faith in the almighty state would have us believe.

Long before Rothbard was born Molinari proposed that security, like any other commodity, could be privatized and this would mean it would be better for the consumers of security. Police would be chos
Ryan Thornton
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a very well written book and can be read in less than an hour (which I just did!).
This book does not, in my opinion, cover how privatized police would work in enough detail (for that check out something like Murray Rothbard's "For a New Liberty) it mostly focuses on why security is not best as a monopoly by the state or run communistically (as it tends to be).
As economists have said time and time again, and it is instinctively known by many, monopolies are bad for consumers. Why, t
Geir
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The text left me wanting more.
Pedro Faraco
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Escrito em 1849 (há mais de 160 anos portanto!) este livreto é considerado por Murray N. Rothbard o primeiro texto "anarcocapitalista" ou "anarquista de livre mercado" da história da humanidade.

Molinari provoca o leitor questionando as razões pelas quais o senso comum considera que o provimento de segurança deve ser monopólio do estado. Apesar fazer uso de argumentos interessantes, considero que o o autor não analisou a fundo o funcionamento de agências de segurança concorrentes, o que teria aju
Zach Boyle
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
It refuted the idea that centralized force was a good idea, and convinced me on civil protection (everyday protection of property), but he did not touch on larger matters, such as criminal endeavors (murder, etc.). But considering he was merely trying to bring it to light, I would consider it a good work.
Tvrtko Balić
I disagree with the author on numerous issues and I believe capitalism is outdated, but there is no denying that this is a well written book, I would actually be hesitant in recommending it in fear of converting someone to anarcho-capitalism.
Daniel
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short and easy read on why private production of security always beats state security based on a monopoly of force.
Ron Smith
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very good and easily read primer on free market security against the prevailing violence of state monopolies (monarchies) or communist takeovers (republics) of the security industry.
Nina Bastiat
sancho
Jan 11, 2016
Alex
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I was very enthusiastic about this essay when I read Rothbards lavish praise for it. However, I don't think it has aged very well. The arguments put forth could be dismantled quite easily with the standard repertoire of statist clichés (public goods problem, externalities etc.), and there's now much better material available to prove that private security will work better than public one. What I give Molinari credit for is how clear his idea was: If the free market is better at providing goods t ...more
Rodrigo Alves