Start by marking “Eisenhower Eisenhower Eisenhower” as Want to Read:
Eisenhower Eisenhower Eisenhower

Eisenhower Eisenhower Eisenhower

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

This new, in-depth life of Eisenhower offers fresh perspectives, not only on World War II and the Korean War but also on the Cold War, the civil rights movement, McCarthyism, the U-2 crisis andVietnam.
Geoffrey Perret's Eisenhower gives us, for the first time, the whole man. It brings together ahuge amount of material, much of it made available to researchers only in recen
Published March 2nd 2000 by Random House (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Eisenhower Eisenhower Eisenhower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eisenhower Eisenhower Eisenhower

Steve
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Eisenhower” by Geoffrey Perret was published in 1999, two years after the publication of his biography of Ulysses S. Grant. Perret is an author and historian and served for three years in the U.S. Army. Among his dozen published books are biographies of JFK, Lincoln and Douglas MacArthur.

Perret’s biography was the first comprehensive review of Eisenhower following the publication of Stephen Ambrose’s two-volume series in the early 1980s. With 608 pages of
William J.
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book! The author doesn't get bogged down with unnecessary details. He reports on General Eisenhower's life and experience in the Army but he doesn't present a history of WWI or WWII or the interim years but he provides enough information to understand how and why General Eisenhower developed and succeeded. He continues the same process for the Presidency. Geoffrey Parret points out President Eisenhower's successes and failures in legislation as President. The author explains ...more
Brian
It is very difficult to write a one volume biography of Eisenhower but this comes as close as one can get to being a thorough and accurate account of his life. The biography is a fair treatment of Eisenhower and looks at many of the myths that have come up about his life and dispels them. Starting with his early years and time growing up in Abeline to the days in the white house the reader can clearly see the evolution of Eisenhower. It covers not only his personal evolution but really looks at ...more
John
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had always thought of President Eisenhower as very easy going, not having any ambition and things just falling into his lap. This biography relieved me of that misconception.

He worked hard in school, very much wanted to get ahead. When he graduated from West Point he made it known he wanted to marry a rich woman and he did. And so on...

Another misconception of mine is that Mamie went to school here in Denver. Her dad was a very successful business man in Iowa, retired when he was 45 and moved
Chris
This is a good narrative about Dwight D. Eisenhower's life. Considering the subject matter (WWII and Ike's presidency), it's fairly short at 608 pages. I liked the way the author touched on things and gave his point of view on Ike's notes. Many of these points were insightful, because the author was sure to list both the mistakes and accomplishments that he saw.

On page 412, I found the note about the Republican party of the 1950s quite interesting, given the points made about the UN, Social Secu
Dulcie
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming to Eisenhower relatively neutral I carry no can for either supporters or detractors.
The only lesson I take from this book is that the author ran out if interest in his subject well before the final curtain.
Based on what I have just read Eisenhower was neither principled nor ethical.Pure laissez - faire to get through any problem no matter what it is. Admirable in a soldier & an enterprise manager, absolutely deplorable in a politician.
Greg Holdsworth
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best overall biography of Eienhower I have read.
Terrific descriptions of his dealings with large ego
generals and politicians, modestly and wisely managing
these men.I didn't expect to like this as well as I did,
as I didn't care so much for Perret's biography of U.S. Grant
so maybe I will have to reread that.
Paulcbry
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eisenhower was a great military leader but as the author illustrates a competent though not great president. From his humble midwest beginnings to the seat of power in Washington Eisenhower's fascinating life is thoroughly explored by the author. Well worth reading.
Amy
A decent bio, I was really enjoying it till I got the presidency. The authors started to shift the book from a strict timeline to each chapter being about a different event in the Eisenhower presidency.
Geno
May 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a decdent bio
Kevin
Terrific biography. As full and varied as Ike's life was, though, even a 700+ page biography seemed like a survey at times and left me wanting more.
Barb Shade
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography

This book was informative, well researched and well balanced dealing with the military and political aspects of Eisenhower's life.
Burt Schoeppe
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start to finish discussion on Ike the man.
Jim Swike
An amazing life, General to President. A great book that brings to Eisenhower to life. I did not know a lot about him. I do now. Enjoy!
Chris Carson
  • An American Requiem: God, My Father & the War That Came Between Us
  • President Nixon: Alone in the White House
  • Going Home To Glory: A Memoir of Life with Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961-1969
  • The Patton Papers: 1940-1945
  • Sgt. York: His Life, Legend  Legacy: The Remarkable Untold Story of Sgt. Alvin C. York
  • T.R.: The Last Romantic
  • The Japan Journals: 1947-2004
  • Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents, #39)
  • James Madison: A Biography