Start by marking “A Catered Wedding (A Mystery with Recipes, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Catered Wedding (A Mystery with Recipes, #2)

A Catered Wedding

(A Mystery with Recipes #2)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  475 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Leeza Sharp's dream wedding turns deadly when she is murdered just hours before her trip down the aisle, and it is up to her caterers Libby and Bernadette Simmons to solve the case of the nightmarish nuptials.
Published September 1st 2005 by Kensington (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Catered Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Catered Wedding

Mary Ann
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It is going to be the wedding of the year and the sisters are hired to do the cake and catering. The set up is difficult at best because of how far from the kitchen the tent is and also, how close to the river and a hill between. As they are setting up, they find the bride with an arrow in her.

This is a series of books and I have moments where I just don't enjoy the storyline. Mostly, I don't like the sister dynamics.
Leah
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, light mystery. I enjoyed this as much as the previous book.
Julie
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story was weak, and the editing was horrible! I could've taken a red pen to this thing and done the next reader a favor. It was full of run-on sentences and missing commas all over the place. I decided to read the first two books in the series to see if I'd like them; no need to read the rest!
Lora
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
While the storyline was light and entertaining, I cannot give this book more stars. The number misspellings, grammatical problems, and punctuation errors were so distracting. Whoever proofread/edited this book did an absolutely horrible job.
Catherine
I really enjoyed this book. It was light hearted and a lot of fun. That being said, I felt like the conclusion was a little bit weak. It could have been developed much better.
Cece
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Would have given it 2 1/2 if possible. Still has moments of cleverness, but I wonder if this series has legs. Already, in book 2, there are some stretches and tired cliches.
Pam
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bernie and Libby are on hand to find the bride-to-be shot through the heart with an arrow from a crossbow when they arrive to cater a very rich wedding. The bride, Leeza, is an outsider, with a love for money if not for the groom. Is it a love affair gone wrong, jealousy, or greed that pushed someone to kill?
Bernie and Libby's aunts, Gertrude and Eunice, with money of their own, hire Sean (Bernie and Libby's dad) to bring the killer to justice.
Diane
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3 - Good
Janice
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the interaction between the 2 sisters and their dad as they bake, cater, and solve murders.
Christel Reynolds
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice 👍🏻 I liked the characters better than those in the chocolate 🍫 mystery series. I’m starting another one ☝ now;) ...more
Syrdarya
Nov 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Bernie and Libby Simmons are sisters who run a bakery/deli and who sometimes cater on the side. Just before a swanky wedding for caviar king Jura Raid and his tacky bridezilla Leeza, the sisters discover a dead body. Adventurous sister Bernie immediately wants to investigate, but Libby is reluctant. Still, they and their assistant spend an inordinately long period of time messing with the crime scene and discussing the murder before they finally call the police.

The sisters' father, Sean, who is
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
As with most Cozy Mysteries, this follows a certain pattern, and formula. This is a food one with catering and a bakery as the vehicle. The different dynamic in this series is the two sisters and their retired former Police Chief father. I have enjoyed the few in this series I have read, having started in the middle, then come back to the beginning, and plan to read more in the future.
Kim j
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: isiscrawford
Not sure what I will rate this because it has potential but this is the second book so? I think what bothers me the most is the waste of pages on bickering. They do investigate & come up with the killer but why all these extraneous details & use of language that is not necessary? I get it, Libby has anxiety issues but oberdoing it just a bit? Why all the critical remarks about all the male characters & yet these are boyfriends or potential ones? I am surprissed this made it to editin ...more
Debbie Maskus
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I selected this book on a whim, since the premise is food and recipes are included. Two sisters, Bernie and Libby Simmons, run a catering service and food shop, but have a second profession as amateur sleuths. In this episode, the sisters and their ex police chief father race to discover the killer of Lezza Sharp. Poor Leeza, finally getting the wedding of her dreams, is murdered via crossbow on the day of her wedding. The mystery unfolds amid delicious tidbits of food preparation, and the const ...more
quinnster
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this one better than the first book, I think because the sister's father was more involved and I kind of like him! Bernie's aggressiveness and Libby's passiveness still drove me crazy, but it wasn't as bad as the first book!
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
OK, this is a nerdy book - but I liked it better than some of the later ones in the series. It was sweet to see Libby and Marvin getting together, though it's hard for me to stomach Rob now that I know he and Bernie break up (and why!). Obviously, it's better to read series in order. Anyway, while this tied up pretty neatly and there weren't any crazy plot twists, it wasn't completely obvious who the killer was until the end (there were several people with reasonable motives). This is one of the ...more
Jessica
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
As a trivia fan, I enjoy the facts that Bernie busts out at mostly inappropriate moments. I'm guilty of the same thing, though maybe not on the same scale as Bernie! Anyway, aside from those random facts there wasn't much to keep me interested here. The beginning was different and it had a lot of potential to be a great story, but somehow it fell sort of flat. The progression was rather slow and the "bad guy" wasn't all that clever/surprising. It's an okay book, but it could have been so much be ...more
Julia
Aug 12, 2008 rated it liked it
The sister catering team are at it again -- this time the plot is really out there, but funny. I keep relaying the basic premise of the murder to people who just look at me with incredulity. I like the way they bring their Dad in to help them out with this one -- it gives it a feel of an episode of "Psych" -- which I really enjoy. Looking forward to reading the next in the series and see what direction the sister team heads next.

The recipes at the end, although not necessarily part of the plot l
Nancy H
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
The plot of this book was okay, but I didn't care for the constantly changing viewpoints between the two sisters, as the story unfolded. It tended to be confusing because I had to keep checking which sister was talking/thinking at any given moment, since the viewpoints changed sometimes from paragraph to paragraph. The story itself was okay and I will probably read more of this author, if only to see if the writing is better in more recent books.
Jan
May 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
I thought I would give this series another try with book 2. I'm finished chapter 5 and I am giving up on the book and series. I find the characters shallow and extremely hard to believe. 3 women standing over a dead body and not one of them thinks they should call the police? Instead the lead character is thinking about what to do with the food that will not be eaten and wondering if she has a chocolate chip cookie.
Danielle
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyed this book,however there were a few grammatical errors.I love how the author is able to combine the culinary aspect with murder. I also enjoy that the characters seem like a real family with the issues that happen. It was slow in the beginning, but after page 25-30,the pace of the book picks up a lot. I couldn't put the book the down,I had to keep on reading to see what happened next,it's a real page turner.
Kim
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
As always with cozy mysteries, the question is not was it fantastic writing but was it a good story. I think this series reads like a sitcom, in that the situations are interesting yet unrealistic, and tend to end scooby doo style with too many suspects and a seemingly rug puller of a murderer.

At any rate, it was a fun read that did have some good sleuthing at times. At other times I would have preferred a commercial break from the corny.
Erika
Better than the first book, since Bernie and Libby have been back living with each other for awhile and so are more used to each other's quirks. It was nice to see their father get more involved too, and their friend Marvin. The Walker sisters were confusing but had a couple of funny bits. The ending was meh, but explains some of the things at the mid-point of the book. Not sure if I'll read more of the series.
Lbaker
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Early in the series, the "mystery" isn't too difficult to figure and the behaviour of the heroines is over the top - a little b&e-ing, etc. But the characters are compelling, the sister relationship seems realistic, characters have realistic problems - weight, money, relationships, time, lack of sleep.

I will read more of this series.
Sandra Hernandez
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize how much I would like this series until I read the second book. Bernie and Libby really grow on you. I love the sisterhood and the love they have for the parents. The idea of the bakery makes my mouth water every food Libby makes, makes me want some. I do enjoy this story and can't wait for the next one.
Kilgallen
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads, mystery
For a "cozy mystery" this one was pretty good. The story was paced well and had a good conclusion. Some of the characters seemed a little flat but there were a lot of them and rounding them out may have added too much clutter to the novel. I will read the other offerings in this series if I stumble across them but don't see myself going out of my way to find them.
Linda
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
I liked this book. I thought the story was good, I liked getting to know the characters and it made me want to read more books in the series. The part I didn't like was all the mistakes I found (such as missing words or a wrong word used - the editor was totally asleep when editing this book).
Miri
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Leeza is about to marry Jura a very wealthy man who owns his family business with his two brothers, but on the day of the wedding, which is being catered by sisters Bernie and Libby, Leeza is shot through the heart with an arrow and yet again the sisters are thrust into the scene of a murder.
Kim
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A not-so-catered wedding, when a crossbow stops the fun. But who killed the bride? So many suspects!
Claudia
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fast, funny, easy read.
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • The Baked Bean Supper Murders (Eugenia Potter, #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • The Secret Ingredient Murders (Eugenia Potter, #6)
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • Illegally Iced (Donut Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Cook's Night Out (Angie Amalfi, #5)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
Isis Crawford was born in Egypt to parents who were in the diplomatic corps. When she was five, her family returned to the States, where her mother opened a restaurant in Upper Westchester County and her father became a university professor. Since then Isis has combined her parents’ love of food and travel by running a catering service as well as penning numerous travel-related articles about plac ...more

A Mystery with Recipes (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)
  • A Catered Birthday Party (A Mystery with Recipes, #6)
  • A Catered Thanksgiving (A Mystery with Recipes, #7)
  • A Catered St. Patrick's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #8)
  • A Catered Christmas Cookie Exchange (A Mystery with Recipes, #9)
  • A Catered Fourth of July (A Mystery with Recipes, #10)
  • A Catered Mother's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #11)