Start by marking “Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights ” as Want to Read:

(Supernatural Jane Austen)

MANSFIELD PARK AND MUMMIES: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights Spinsterhood or Mummification!

Ancient Egypt infiltrates Regency England in this elegant, hilarious, witty, insane, and unexpectedly romantic monster parody of Jane Austen's classic novel.

Our gentle yet indomitable heroine Fanny Price must hold steadfast not only agains
Paperback, First Edition, 568 pages
Published November 16th 2009 by Norilana Books

To ask other readers questions about Mansfield Park and Mummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mansfield Park and Mummies

Sherwood Smith
Nov 23, 2009 added it
Shelves: fantasy
There are three Austen mash-ups that I like: this one, Jane Bites Back, and James Fairfax, each for different reasons.

This one is just plain fun. Crazy, Monty-Python fun. Nazarian does a much better job than the zombies or seamonster guys in tinkering with Austen's text--in this case, Mansfield Park, to add in werewolves, vamps, and the sort of late-nineteenth century weird Egyptian mythology motifs that, overlying the restrained set-pieces Austen gives us, makes a funnier contrast.

I could hear
Kimberley Fligor
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I couldn't make it past page 109. Any supernatural parody of Jane Austen is bound to be a bit odd, so I wasn't expecting anything terribly high brow, but there is a fine line between silly that's funny and silly that's dumb. For me, this book crossed that line one too many times. First, there's the dumb footnotes. Second, the 'wolf speak' that one of the werewolf characters uses. The straw that broke the camel's back was the scene when the Pharaoh comes back to life. Seriously, why can't he undo ...more
Katy
Jun 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Mansfield Park, Egyptologists, spinsters
Shelves: ebook
Please note: As always, if you are reading this review on a site that does not allow formatting, to see formatting, links, etc. please visit my blog, Now is Gone. Links can always be found in my profile, on every site I on which I'm a member.

Book Info: Genre: Classic Literature parody
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Jane Austen who enjoy a laugh, people who enjoy parodies, Vera Nazarian fans

My Thoughts: This was the first of the supernatural Jane Austen parodies that Nazarian wrote.
Ana Mardoll
Feb 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Mansfield Park and Mummies / 978-1-60-762047-1

I loved "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" and "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", and I really wanted to love "Mansfield Park and Mummies", but I felt that this book was such a rushed and sloppy attempt to cash-in on the current "Austen and monsters" trend that I really cannot recommend it to anyone.

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" were both wonderfully good laughs largely because they perfectly im
Kim Miner Litton
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
If I could, I would probably give this 2 and a 1/2 stars.

I'm not sure why I keep reading these mash-ups. I thought that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was going to be the best way to re-read Jane Austen ever. As much as the girl in me loves the characters created by Jane Austen, the reader in me knows that the plots slow and plodding, moved forward not by action but by the slow passage of time. Here was the promise of everything good, the charm of Jane Austen + random monster violence.

It doesn'
Castiron
Dec 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
This book was a lot of fun, and Nazarian's additions made sense with the established personalities of Austen's characters.

My one issue with it (and one I'm sure I'd have with other AustenBook And SupernaturalCritter books): There didn't seem to be enough repercussions from some of the events. For example, if a flock of mummies attacks at a ball, people are going to be talking about it, wondering about it, etc. for years afterward. And you'd expect that event to have further effects on the plot,
Christa
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I admit it, I am a sucker for these Austen mash-ups. This is the 5th one I've read and the second by Vera Nazarian. While this is no substitute for Austen's original, it was a fun read and I liked the way the added parts of the book enhanced Austen's characters and story. For example, explanations are given why Lady Bertram is always so mild and half-alseep all the time (it's like she's under a spell or something) and why Aunt Norris is so mean. Fanny Price has always been for me the most boring ...more
Sophia
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Mansfield Park and Mummies is an unapologetically silly paranormal spoof of Jane Austen's third novel. Mummies might have been chosen for alliterative purposes, since all sorts of dark creatures permeate the story which closely follows the original plot. The "scholarly footnotes" are also silly admonishments lest the reader harbors prurient thoughts when words like "intercourse" are used. Although there were gross historical inaccuracies and some editorial oversights, I thought it was a light, f ...more
Tracy S.
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have always thought that Mansfield Park is the weakest of all of Jane Austin's books. The heroine, Fanny Price is a weaker character than Elizabeth Bennett and less interesting than either Miss Dashwood.

Not so in Mansfield Park and Mummies, where she is elevated to the status of mummy fighter and vampire hunter (but sadly, not slayer). The book is filled with hilarious footnotes and modern slants on Austin's historic social commentary. The author's deft touches keep the book interesting throu
Amy
May 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Goodness, this is just killing me. P&P&Zombies was AMAZING, but so far all of the other spoofs I've read have really failed. I haven't actually read all of regular Mansfield Park yet, which is bad, I know, so that made it a little confusing. The author just tried way too hard to make it clever and mysterious and intriguing, so then it wasn't. I hate giving something connected to Jane 2 stars, but it was just dull and dragging.
Rex Libris
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mansfield Park & Mummies is another Jane Austen mash-up, injecting werewolves, vampires, and re-animated pharoah into the staid English countryside of Mansfield Park.

As awhole the story does not hang together as well as the original. Oftentimes it is just a series of scenes with werewolves, mummies or a beatly duck injected into them. However, the stregnth of the individual nignettes is enough to make the book a hilarious read.
Catherine
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Entertaining entry into the Austen with monsters subsubgenre. Nazarian does a nice job integrating the Egyptology into "Mansfield Park," and making it a bit more fun (it's not my favorite Austen, I must admit).
My only complaint is the number of typos which will hopefully get corrected in subsequent editions.
Edited to add: have just been told that they've been addressed in the later edition.
Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2013 marked it as what-is-this
When I saw the name of the book, I couldn't resist myself to open this page. Super hilarious!!! yeah, we got all the vampire and werewolf things for Jane Austen's rewrites....but 'mummies' is totally beyond my expectation. Must grab this sometimes XD
X-Emilia-The-Witch-Lover-X
All the pieces where there but nothing was really made out of it :(
I had such high hopes but it was a far miss this time for a classic/monster mashup.
Gutted!
Jimmie
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious. Better than pride and prejudice and zombies. BEST BALL EVER!!!
Terri Luer
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
So much fun. Mummies!! I think it's more a 3 1/2 stars kind of read, but that's not an option here, and I felt 3 stars wasn't strong enough. So... 4 stars it is!
Foggygirl
An entertaing romp through Jane Austen's world of Mansfield Park with the added bonous of Mummies, werewolves and vampires.
Ariel
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a rather hilarious adaption of Mansfield Park! I enjoyed the little add-ins, and mummy bits, which flowed very nicely with the rest of the story.
Kristen Adkins
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious, but extraordinarily long. If it were 200 pp shorter, it would have been perfect.
Karey Owens
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Though it was a bit slow in parts, this book was very fun.
Margaret Eveleigh
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously spooftastic. Not for those who take their Austen too seriously. An excessively silly book that I was extremely sorry to see end. Imagine intoxicated Monty Python writers let loose on the text of Mansfield Park while locked in the 'Ancient Egypt Wing' of a museum and you may get an idea of just how inordinately absurd this book is. Two desiccated rag-wrapped skeletal thumbs up.
Wendy Scott
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
There is something the supernatural that makes Classic Literature so much more fascinating!
Kristin Hennessy-McDonald
This is the third of the "Austen + immortal creature" novels I've read. I think it is also my last. While I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters was okay, this one lost me. I think my biggest problem with this novel is that it deviated so drastically from Austen's original that it was hard to tell that it was a derivation of Mansfield Park. The characters were there, and some of the story was the same, but so much was changed that it left me hungerin ...more
Angela
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
This warrants 2 stars from me because overall, it was a pretty entertaining read (which it's meant to be), but the footnotes deterring people from sexual references got really old really fast. To be honest, I would think if someone picked this novel up, they'd be relatively familiar with Austen's writing (I hope!) and wouldn't need to know what these words mean. Honestly, they're pretty self-explanatory. I know she's doing it for fun, but honestly, it got pretty annoying.

Finally, I truly wish s
Atlantis
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
I definitely did not enjoy this installment of the series of re-written stories by Jane Austen involving the supernatural. I enjoyed much more "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies as well as "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters." The added mummies and mayhem in this book just seemed haphazard and spotty and with having just read the original "Mansfield Park" it was also unfortunately a bit of a bore. Never mind though...on to the next book...
Tonya
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book. I love Austen and the tales relating to her. I loved "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" was OK, and this one followed the story rather well, but kept throwing in all kinds of monsters dealing with Egyptian artifacts. My biggest pet peeve was all the spelling errors. Get an editor! I couldn't handle it. I didn't finish it.
Krystal
May 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Full props for the effort that went into this adaptation but I think she might have tried to cover just a little too much in the end. An incredibly faithful adaptation this is though with some fun added scenes but in the end, not really worth the 500+ pages.
Susan
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun read!
Brittany
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Was excited to read this take on an Austen classic but it fell flat for me. To far from the original and I felt like the author made Edmund Fanny's fall back choice.

• Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • Emma and the Vampires
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • Little Women and Werewolves
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's the Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Boleyn Tudor Vampire
  • Henry VIII: Wolfman
  • Little Vampire Women
  • Grave Expectations
  • Jane and the Damned (Immortal Jane Austen, #1)
  • Vampire Darcy's Desire: A Pride and Prejudice Adaptation
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead
  • Romeo  Juliet  Vampires
  • Wuthering Bites
  • I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
  • Android Karenina
  • Shakespeare Undead (Shakespeare Undead, #1)
Vera Nazarian is a two-time Nebula Award Finalist, award-winning artist, and member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, a writer with a penchant for moral fables and stories of intense wonder, true love, and intricacy.

She immigrated to the USA from the former USSR as a kid, sold her first story at the age of 17, and since then has published numerous works in anthologies and magazine

Supernatural Jane Austen (3 books)
  • Northanger Abbey and Angels and Dragons