Start by marking “Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit” as Want to Read:

Play the Piano introduces Charles Bukowski's poetry from the 1970s. He leads a life full of gambling and booze but also finds love. These poems are full of lechery and romance as he struggles to mature.
Published May 31st 2002 by HarperCollins (first published June 5th 1979)

Be the first to ask a question about Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

Start your review of Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit
Jake
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Bukowski the fiction writer and Bukowski the poet always seemed to be two different people. I've read a handful of his poems over the years and recognized a fire in him that is totally lacking from his novel work. In his poems, there lies a confident drunk, asleep at the wheel of life, seamlessly floating on by, content with distraction and apathy. In his fiction, there's an emptiness that's so passive, it's hardly a story at all.

This is the first volume of his poetry that I've read from start
Raegan Butcher
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the first Bukowski book that I ever read. I think Bukowski's importance as an American writer will only grow in the 21st century. The man is already a Hemingway-like figure in Europe.The cultural snobs of academia in America have tried to ignore his work, but that will change. This collection is a grab-bag of previously uncollected poems that Bukowski regularly submitted to small press rags during the late sixties and seventies. These are from the seventies and there are some great poems ...more
Belinda
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Unsurprisingly, I am once again floored. I finished this book in less than a day and I felt like a 3 year old who just had her lollipop taken away when it was done. I literally felt pouty that it was over. This series of poems is from the 70's and is incredibly eloquent and harsh at the same time. Each thing I read of Bukowski's is like revealing another piece of an unbearably complex puzzle. Last night I had the house to myself and had set up my netflix so I could have the first in a series of ...more
vi macdonald
I was genuinely hopeful for this one, "Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit" is kind of an amazing title. Unfortunately the poems in this collection hardly even come close to measuring up to their title, which is a shame.
Meredith
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I read this when I was like 14. I thought he was brilliant.... turns out, not so much
Joe Totterdell
Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit is a short and sweet collection of poems published by Charles Bukowski in 1979 containing some of his most esoteric and least offensive poems (relatively speaking, of course, and as far as I have read of his work hitherto, which really says something about this collection)—some absolute gems in this collection.

"claws of paradise"

there is nothing to do
but drink
play the horse
bet on the poem

i love the fact that bukowski's poems seem to tell a story, however gruesome that story may be. most of his poems revolve around alcohol/beers,
I am dying of sadness and alcohol ,
cigarettes and love. however, bukowski has a somewhat uncanny perception of love,
I have, he went on, betrayed myself with belief, deluded myself with love tricked myself with sex .

and I like it when they tell me;they are having luck with a man;luck with
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Though it's a slim volume of poetry, this book makes up for its size by packing a huge punch of brilliance. The amazing poems more than outweigh the average poems. Before picking up this book, I'd only read a few of Bukowski's poems and his novel Ham on Rye. This has definitely encouraged me to read more of his poems. Today I bought Love is a Dog From Hell, which I'm very excited to begin!

I'd recommend Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit to
Brian Sims
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just read Play The Piano Drunk Like A Percussion Instrument Until The Fingers Begin To Bleed A Bit by Charles Bukowski - yes, that's the title.. It's a book of his poetry - not for all; not sappy poetry that is, more like drunken Sailor's stuff.. I thought it was right up the alley with the rest of his literature, though I like his novels much better..
Paul Secor
Not everything works, but when Charles Bukowski nails one, it's down.
Basma
Aug 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry-prose
No more Bukowski for me, ever.
Adam
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
If you're looking for the popular image of Bukowski--drunk, misogynist, taking swings at whatever gets close--you can find him here, including perhaps the quintessential Bukowski line in "40,000 flies":

"it's so easy to be a poet
and so hard to be
a man."

This is the slimmest volume of his poetry that I've picked up, and while it's not my favorite, it has some gems. I've never been really disappointed by a book of Bukowski poetry.

Favorites in this collection:
"Leaning on wood," "The souls of dead
Jess Beck
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Perhaps the style of writing was not for me, but I was disappointed by the poetry. Among the mediocre poems were some gems, though, and I feel it was still worth the gander.
Downward
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
tho he is still plagued with romanticizing a very particular kind of decadence and has real backwards ideas about gender, Bukowski the poet is I think much more talented than Bukowski the novelist. There's a real sense of cutting through the bullshit and honestly assessing life in these poems; he attacks the latter third of his life with the knowledge of the first 2/3rds, savoring the minor bacchanalias that sustain him while dismissing the bureacracies that want to infringe of that life giving ...more
Drew
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Lost my freelance gig. Then my Mac computer died. Then a playwrighting gig fell through. Plus my joints ache and it's cold outside. Where do you turn for comfort? Well, there's always the blunt and bawdy poetry of Charles Bukowski, whose Schlitz-soaked verse strips life down to its essentials: women, sex, decay, liquor, money or the lack of it, misunderstandings, cockroaches, age, death, and gambling. Gambling, you ask. Oh, yes, gambling. It's all a gamble whether you bet on horses at the races ...more
Gal
Aug 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Over hyped misogynistic old drunk writes about bacon, factories, whiskey, farts, whiskey, being drunk, drinking, strippers, whiskey, his dad, his mom, and women.
how he fucked women he loved
how he fucked women he didnt love
how he didn't fuck women he loved
and how he didn't fuck women he didnt love

and don't forget that everybody farts.

if you want to read entire 3 page poems for a good line maybe, or boring short stories then this is your guy.

If a person loves Bukowski for me it's a warning
Elvar

Hug The Dark - pg. 113
 Ishtar
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-poetry
the great soprano has never read my poems
but we both know how to murder art
drink and mourn
Reuben, drinks way too much fucking coffee, Goddard
As the spirit wanes the form appears.
Bethany
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many of these are timeless. A few have aged like milk. Reading Bukowski while female takes some patience.
Eric Cartier
Aug 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Some gems are scattered amongst the poems assembled here. I'm surprised the lesser ones appeared while Buk was still living and writing, though, because they're fit for the company of those minor poems that make up most of his posthumous collections. Nevertheless, when he's on, he shines. His basic observations, brazen line-breaks and black humor will probably lead me to read everything he wrote, in search of those jewels.

From the proud thin dying:

it's the order of things: each one
gets a taste
Reese Lightning
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Not my style. I can appreciate his sparse, stark, raw & ragged style of composition, but I prefer my poetry more poetic, the language more lyrical. This just seems like unremarkable prose chopped into blunt little lines like cocaine. And that doesn't magically transform it into poetry, in my humble opinion. I know he's supposed to be one of the greats, but what exactly is the talent here? I don't see any insightful observation, innovative ideas, interesting rhythm or subject matter, or ...more
Faith-Anne
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my personal favorite of Bukowski's books of poetry. It has such a raw voice to it. So many of the poems in this collection are memorable. This is the book I pull out when someone tells me that they know poetry because they know the 'classics'.
رؤيا شعبان
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
list of my favorite ones :

A Little Atomic Bomb
The Strangest thing
2 flies
The Ladies of summer
The Apple
5 dollars
Blue moon bleweew mooooon how i adore you ! ( the most funny one )
The killer smiles

Anthony
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Scholars won't touch Bukowski. He's inconsistent, he does a ton of things that don't work. some poems are just plain bad, but when he gets it (and he does a decent amount of the time) it's great.
Vince
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Some of Bukowski's best, although most "raw", poetry. This is pure emotion from a decadent, masculine point of view. I am probably on my tenth reading.
Matt
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Good collection of early Bukowski poetry
Shelley
Oct 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
The one take away from this is that if chuck can fall in love then there's hope for us all
mwpm
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
poems like gunslingers
sit around and
shoot holes in my windows
chew on my toilet paper
read the race results
take the phone off the
hook.

poems like gunslingers
ask me
what the hell my game is,
and

stretches
Brent Woo
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Seems like an interesting guy

o, just give me a little atomic bomb
not too much
just a little
enough to kill a horse in the street
but there aren't any horses in the street

I thought it's interesting to combine poetry and debauched, drunk, objectifying, smelly bachelor life. Vulgar topics but not language. He, actually, does not seem jaded or tortured, it's just... his life.

I stand in the kitchen
halfway to madness
dreaming of Hemingway's Spain

"interviews", "face of a political candidate on a street
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Ask the Dust (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #3)
  • 1933 Was a Bad Year
  • Collected Poems, 1947-1980
  • Scattered Poems
  • Atop an Underwood: Early Stories and Other Writings
  • Look Back in Anger
  • Inadvertent
  • Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
  • The Graveyard Shift
  • Illuminations
  • 終わりのセラフ 10 [Owari no Serafu 10] (Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign, #10)
  • حكاية الرجل العجوز
  • Birthday Letters
  • A Confederate General from Big Sur
  • كل شيء سيكون على ما يرام
  • The Spice-Box of Earth
  • Pulp Fiction: A Quentin Tarantino Screenplay
  • Ballpoint Art
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
“you son of a bitch, she said, I am
trying to build a meaningful
relationship.

you can't build it with a hammer,
he said.”
695 likes
“I care for you, darling, I love you,
the only reason I fucked L. is because you fucked
Z. and then I fucked R. and you fucked N.
and because you fucked N. I had to fuck
Y. But I think of you constantly, I feel you
here in my belly like a baby, love I'd call it,
no matter what happens I'd call it love, and so
you fucked C. and then before I could move
you fucked W., so I had to fuck D. But
I want you to know that I love you, I think of you
constantly, I don't think I've ever loved anybody