Start by marking “A Casual Revolution: Reinventing Video Games and Their Players” as Want to Read:
A Casual Revolution: Reinventing Video Games and Their Players

A Casual Revolution: Reinventing Video Games and Their Players

We used to think that video games were mostly for young men, but with the success of the Nintendo Wii, and the proliferation of games in browsers, cell phone games, and social games video games changed changed fundamentally in the years from 2000 to 2010. These new casual games are now played by men and women, young and old. Players need not possess an intimate knowledge o ...more
Published October 9th 2009 by MIT Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about A Casual Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Casual Revolution

Start your review of A Casual Revolution: Reinventing Video Games and Their Players
Chris Aylott
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
How quickly the game world is changing! This is a 2010 book, finished sometime in 2009, and it almost completely misses the revolution in social gaming. The focus here is on casual web games, Guitar Hero, and the Wii, the burning hot parts of the game business in 2008.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Juul's study of how game audiences and game or controller designs interact is thoughtful and just as applicable to social gaming as it is to casual and mimetic gaming. I've pic
Rachel
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: video-games
I liked how clearly Juul defined his ideas and backed them up with historical and research evidence. I read this last year but put off reviewing it since I wanted to finish reading the appendix, but I guess that's not happening.

Some quotes that encapsulate Juul's theses:

"Where a casual game is flexible toward different types of players and uses, a hardcore games makes inflexible and unconditional demands on the skill and commitment of a player." (10)

"The casual revolution is that
Tiffany Taylor attaway
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good observations and critique of the difference between casual and hard core games.
Alberto
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Un libro intetesante sobre diseño de videojuegos y el cambio de paradigma hacia un juego más "casual", en el que se castique menos al jugador, se pueda jugar en ratitos cortos, etc. Lo más interesante para mí han sido las entrevistas con los desarrolladores, por lo demás las ideas que maneja no son muchas y a ratos se hace repetitivo.
Lobna sameer
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found the book insightful but a bit repetitive
Taswa
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
A intersting book With lots of good Points and really good to know information for everyone interested in video games. When we are talking about videogames, if you have a passion for them this book may not help you understand it, but it sure can get you on the way. That is if you can get past the boredom of Reading it, which by the way is the books only drawback.
Erin
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wake up and smell the Farmville.

Video games are thankfully growing out of their exclusivity to Gamers. As more and more people play games, more and more designers need to get serious about what makes a game fun for all kinds of people and not just people who are hardcore gamers.
Molly Goedken
Feb 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
I felt like the book was more about the word "casual" in relation to games than anything else. It wasn't quite what I thought it would be about.
Rich
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
A good, basic book that gives a nice sense of where the game industry is heading.

Not great, but not bad either.
André Bernhardt
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sold
Quite superficial in my opinion. Published a bit to late (or early) as it missed the social games revolution!
Craig
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: games
This scratches the surface of casual gaming, but is schizophrenic: some history, a lot of pictures, some interviews and half a book of appendices. Just a weird organization/ package.
morbidflight
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mit-press, cms, thesis, games
I think I'll be citing this book a lot. It's also quite relevant right now with the bs in game culture against diversity of play.
Emma
Sep 20, 2018
Jan
Nov 30, 2011
Andrew
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2010

• How Games Move Us: Emotion by Design
  • Play Between Worlds: Exploring Online Game Culture
  • Coroner
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made
  • A Taxonomy and Metaphysics of Mind-Uploading
  • Videogames
  • Works of Game: On the Aesthetics of Games and Art
  • Values at Play in Digital Games
  • The Lessons of History
  • Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty: Don't Treat Thirst With Medications
  • War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery #1 (of 5)
  • War of the Realms: Journey Into Mystery #2 (of 5)
Jesper Juul is Visiting Assistant Professor at the New York University Game Center. He is the author of Half-Real: Video Games between Real Rules and Fictional Worlds and A Casual Revolution: Reinventing Video Games and Their Players, both published by MIT Press.