Start by marking “The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity Before Christ” as Want to Read:
The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity Before Christ

The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity Before Christ

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Khrisna of India. Thammuz of Syria. Esus of the Celtic Druids. Mithra of Persia. Quexalcoati of Mexico. All were crucified gods, and all met their fates hundreds of years before Jesus appeared on the scene. In this foundational work of modern atheism, American spiritualist KERSEY GRAVES (1813-1883) breaks the Christ myth down into its component parts and ably demonstrates ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Cosimo Classics (first published October 27th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors

Toni Daugherty
I knew of other religions claiming the same miracles but I had no idea there were so many exact miracles and exact characters since ancient orientalism. An eye-opener! Many of the miracles attributed to Jesus were probably stolen from ancient religions long before the Council of Nicea, when those few powerful men decided what would be in the great book or what would actually be god's word for the masses.
Book
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books of its type. The author collected loads of folklore and mythology that predated Christianity to show that the story of Jesus was not original or unique but just one more slight variation.
Paul Krug
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This book contains fascinating history I had not been aware of. Written in 1875, it can be challenging reading at times. Nevertheless, the similarities between the various savior figures are remarkable.
At times it seemed the author overreached--unnecessary given the subject matter. And he had a tendency to occupy the bully pulpit at other times, as if reveling in his self-perceived triumph.
The book is worth reading. It's amazing to know how many historical figures were crucified, even between tw
Kane Cassidy
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is dated and it shows, I had to google a few of the listed figures to get a better understanding but when I did, I gained an immense undetstanding and the second reading was a breeze.

Brilliant work, eye-opening expose on how Christianity has borrowed from pre-existing religions. Richard Dawkins often asks theists to acknowlege their atheistic states regarding Gods like Zeus and Thor, after reading this I now ask Christians to prove to me that Zoroaster isn't my saviour, to excellent ef
David Bevins
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great reference to discover all the myths/stories in history that resemble the Christ figure.

However, the authors snarkiness just overwhelms me, hence two stars.
Naomi Moore
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A real eye opener.
Mizan Harun
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
كتاب رائع، لكن فيه مبالغات حتى أصبحت جميع المعتقدات النصرانية، صحيحها وسقيمها- وثنية وهذا منهج غير صحيح
Dave Sippel
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a deeply frustrating read for me. I have been curious about the supposed amalgamation of mythological and historical figures that "created" Jesus Christ. This seemed like a good place to start reading, but the lack of citations bothered me very much. I was a history major in college, and the professors constantly reminded us that citations and reference were beyond important in our professional. Part of me was intrigued to read a book on the subject from the POV of a 19th century author ...more
Super Marge
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the the most easy to understand books on the subject that I have ever read. It is to the point and considering that it was originally published in the late 1800's it takes no prisoners. No matter what you believe it is a must read.
Mtoti
Feb 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: every one
didnt read yet but here is some1 elses review on it from amazon:
Christians have heard this argument a thousand times, but few really know what people mean by saying that little in Christianity is original. This book provides you with the reasoning behind this claim in an exhaustive way. I found this book to be a much better choice than any of Robert Price's books because Price gets his ideas (or most of them) from this author. For a good counter-argument I recommend The Jesus Legend by Eddy and
Christina Vogel
May 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Many of his assertions are twisted and verses are misquoted to fit with his beliefs. While there's no doubt that other myths existed before the birth of Jesus, some of the inaccurate facts and overall bad assertions make me question the validity of anything he wrote. This is Some of the most irresponsible writing I have ever seen.
Scott
Mar 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
While I agree with Mr. Graves about the similarities between Christ and the other martyred saviors of the world, the presentation was very dry, and most of which I have heard before (although his book was obviously printed first). I much preferred his work with the Biography of Satan.
Reggie Parker
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good (and informative) read...

This book was very thought provoking. It's full of information on the origins and history of Christianity. I thought it bordered on atheism close to the end... but still... a good book...
Jake
purestrain religion
Okpara
Mar 05, 2011 added it
The books helps i clearing up the myth related to the story of Jesus the christ
Jul 13, 2012
Aleph
rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2017
  • The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold
  • Ancient Egypt: The Light of the World
  • The Hebrew Goddess
  • AD 381: Heretics, Pagans and the Dawn of the Monotheistic State
  • Crusade Against the Grail: The Struggle between the Cathars, the Templars, and the Church of Rome
  • Empires of Time: Calendars, Clocks, and Cultures
  • Caesar's Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • Before the Pyramids: Cracking Archaeology's Greatest Mystery
  • The Fated Sky: Astrology in History
  • Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date
  • Lost Star of Myth and Time
  • Forbidden Faith: The Secret History of Gnosticism
  • The Dance of Time: The Origins of the Calendar: A Miscellany of History and Myth, Religion and Astronomy, Festivals and Feast Days
  • Gateway to Atlantis: The Search for the Source of a Lost Civilization
  • Talisman: Sacred Cities, Secret Faith
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • The Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age
Kersey Graves was a skeptic, atheist, spiritualist, Nontheist Friend, reformist and writer. He was born in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. His parents were Quakers, and as a young man he followed them in their observance, and then later moved to the Hicksite wing of Quakerism. According to one source, Graves did not attend school for more than three or four months in his life, but another source says t ...more
More about Kersey Graves...

“We can only find room for a few citations and illustrations in proof of this statement.” 0 likes
“But in an age of intelligence, when the keys of science have unlocked the sacred shrines and hallowed vaults of sacerdotal mysteries, and modern researches of history have laid bare the fact that most ancient religious countries abound in reports of this character, a profound and general skepticism must be the result, and a total rejection of their truth by all men of science and historic intelligence.” 0 likes