Start by marking “Justice For None: A Novel” as Want to Read:

2.87  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Justice For None: A Novel
Published June 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Justice For None, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice For None

David
Aug 31, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
I was trying to figure out where the authors of this novel were trying to go with this story that takes place right before the Great Depression. A troubled World War I veteran stumbles into the murder scene of his wife and flees. Later he is arrested and in jail meets a black man who has been falsely accused of rape. The two become friendly and escape custody together.

At this point, the story begins to go askew.. the story seems to be about their friendship between these two men and the grave i
Carl Alves
In Justice for None, Calvin Boyd is a World War 1 combat veteran with a decorated past who settles into Illinois just prior to the Great Depression. Calvin is accused of killing his estranged wife, and immediately goes on the run, seeing how the deck is stacked against him in the legal system. Calvin has people on his side who are trying to help him but he always does his best to thrust these people away from him, often becoming his own worst enemy in the process.
The plot is pretty basic and str
Nitrorockets
Jan 07, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spare-yourself
I thought that this might be a good try, a little different, not my typical selection. I like my books a little less cliche. However I wanted to give it a read and see what one of Hollywood's veteran actors could put together. Lesson learned: Don't do that! This was not a particularly interesting read. It was difficult for me to maintain my focus and often I found myself too bored to finish the page. The storyline seemed to drag on and on and on. That comes from the authors trying to make this a ...more
Brian
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Gene Hackman as an actor, so I had to see what his writing was like. While this story is kind of a predictable/cookie cutter piece, there are flashes of brilliance that come out in monologues, back=story, motivation etc. In other words, if you're looking for it, you get a sense of some of what makes Hackman tick as an actor, and that can be thrilling. While this certainly is one of the weaker pieces I've read recently, I'm still glad I got into it. As far as popcorn fiction goe ...more
Andrea Bernardo
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picturing Gene Hackman as Boyd made the character very believable. George, the Major and Claudia were interesting characters, and George's description of his uncle's lynching brought me to tears. Especially enjoyable was the way the writing let you inside the Major's head, and I wish there was more of that for the other characters. I didn't understand Boyd's anger with the Major at the end and felt as though I must have missed something. That's what I get for rushing through the end because the ...more
David Nadolny
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's probably not fair that a man who is as talented an actor as Gene Hackman, can also write. I was at a party halloween night and a neighbor mentioned that she had read all his books. The actor? I said. Yes. Well, I'm sure glad I checked it out at the library. A very good read that I hated putting down at night. It is set right after WWI, so it falls in the time period I enjoy.
Jenn
Dec 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I attempted to read this a few times as the person who sent me the book from BookCrossing touted it to the nth degree. I couldn't get into it and I found it very poorly written. There's a chance that should it come across my path I would give it a try again.
Samantha Ashby
One of those books to me started off slow but I'm glad I stuck it out and read the whole thing.
Alice
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
True story of convicted man probably innocent but slow.
Charles
Audiobook
Connie
pretty good
Penny
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mississippi burning? I liked the story.
Erin
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Interesting story of a young WW1 veteran in small town Illinois. Kind of disappointed in the ending. Characters were interesting but, as usual there was lots of foul language. It's an OK read.
Gordon
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty dull, but my copy was a gift and has Hackman's autograph, so reading it is the least I could do.
Jane
Apr 10, 2016
Tim Countryman
Jul 26, 2017
Jeff Crocker
rated it did not like it
Sep 07, 2013
David Riester
Jun 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Two dangling threads 1 2 Aug 25, 2016 03:46PM
Two time Academy Award winning actor. Over the forty odd years that he worked as an actor Gene Hackman starred (or co-starred) in such classics as The French Connection, The Conversation , Unforgiven , Superman , and Young Frankenstein as well as smaller, but beloved films such as Hoosiers and Bite The Bullet .

In 2004 Gene Hackman retired from acting and began a second career as a novelist
More about Gene Hackman...