Start by marking “Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #3)

Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #3)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  642 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The difference between the wrath of God and the wrath of your mother is that eventually God forgives you.

Finley Anderson Tanner just landed a quaint new cottage on posh Palm Beach. Not bad for an underachieving, sample-sale-shopping paralegal -- until she finds the place in shambles. She should have known better than to accept her overbearing mother's offer to sell her
Published March 24th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Chance

Maureen DeLuca
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this a 3 star, but I'm adding another for I did finish it, and I'm very picky about my cozy books...for I only read them when I need some pop corn for the brain. This is the third in this series, and it was kinda ok to kinda good. Your typical cozy, hot looking ex- cop, now turned detective. Another x love interest and a new hunky man thrown in for good measure.

Finley, the main character, is always looking for great buys on designer clothes on eBay, works in a law office as a paraleg
Linda
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge, bingo
I really like Finley and the messes she gets herself into. This was a fun story with her finding a skeleton in her closet (literally) in the new house she "bought" (don't even get me started on how her mother treats her). Because the skeleton dates back I somehow never got a good grip on the dates she was going back to but that didn't really detract from the story or my enjoyment. I even figured things out a step or two ahead of Finley and even though I was expecting something creepy to happen i ...more
Iowalibrarian
I liked this book, but it should have been about 50 pages shorter. I got it because it sounded like a Janet Evanovich novel, and it mostly was like one--but a little less funny.

I figured out "the mystery" pretty early, and had to wait for Finley to catch up. My other problem is that while the main character--Finley Anderson Turner--is fun, I can't identify with her. She is a little too concerned with materials things and is actually pretty lazy.
Ginger Paro
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wowsa!!!

This was a great book with a great story and it's the best one so far in the series!!! I can't wait to start the next one.
Marlene
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I especially liked this one. Such a mystery and she's finally getting somewhere with Liam. Go away Patrick!
The Peon
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished the entire series of Finley Anderson Tanner books by Rhonda Pollero. This series was a VERY VERY simple read. It was a combination of Chick-Lit and Mystery…but mostly Chick-Lit, the mystery was much to be desired. The author’s writing is beginner level at best. Do not get me wrong, I read the books and enjoyed them to some degree, however the plots were sub par and unbelievable. The author would introduce a problem but often times would not resolve it. Another thing that was annoying ...more
Tracey
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
adult mystery/chick lit. This is a quick, light read--but only if you can overlook the fact that the narrator (Finley Anderson Tanner--apparently the author is just going to use phrases with the word "FAT" in it for titles, rather than trying to come up with something that conveys any meaning about the stories within) is not nearly as clever, as funny, or as fashionable as she thinks (Tiny cherries on a print dress? How old are we--12? or 55?). The reader can also make some pretty good guesses a ...more
Sandy
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fat Chance is the third installment to the Finley Anderson Tanner series. It keeps getting better and better. It's light, humorous, and most definitely entertaining. It has a bit of everything: romance, humour, chick-lit, mystery, danger, and a bunch of surprises to keep you on your toes. This time Finley's bought a home at a bargain price - but it comes at a cost. Especially as it is sold to her by her IRRITATING mother (when will she ever do something about her???). If you're a regular reader ...more
Roberta
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
I find Finley Anderson's cheerfully covetous attitude fun to read, as she breezes through life one step ahead of the debt that plagues her. In this installment of her mystery series, Rhonda Pollero has her heroine dealing with major contractor issues in an attempt to rescue her new home from ruin. It doen't help that she has to solve a murder while withstanding the temptations of two men, hot private investigator Liam McGarrity, and her new boss; all while making sure she's dressed in the heigh ...more
❂ Jennifer
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I've just re-read this in anticipation of the next book, Slightly Irregular. I had actually thought this series was cancelled, so I was thrilled to see the next two books out.

I love this series - I think it's a lot of fun to read; very entertaining with a great cast of characters. Finley is an absolute idiot when it comes to personal finance, but still a hoot. Lots of interesting romantic tension, and really excellent mysteries.

Fat Chance is about a corpse Finley finds in her new 'handyman spec
Kristi
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The 2 Beans Worth: Yeah, go ahead and say it. Another fashionista, wannabe detective story? In a way, yes. In another way, no.

Pollero was a never-heard-of-her author before this read, but sometimes taking the chance pays off. Such is the case with Pollero. She is another author who can mix the genres and make a really readable story. Even though there's a mystery (gruesome skeleton in the closet), and Tanner's mom is a complete Capital B (Tanner even starts to think her mom is involved in the m
Sheryl
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just as great as the other 2 in the series. If you haven't read them, I strongly suggest starting with those, rather than with this one, only because the characters are so great and you'll miss some of the back story if you read them out of order. However, that said, Pollero does make references to the other 2 books so you won't be totally lost if you haven't read them.

What I like so much about this series is that not only are the characters fun, but the actual mysteries themselves
Susan
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-florida
Florida paralegal Finley Anderson Tanner is stunned when her cold, much-married mother demands that Finley buy a beach house on Palm Beach for way under the normal price. She can't afford it, but Finley goes for it anyway (the story of her life), only to find the interior barely salvagable, and a mummified dead body in the closet. The police are ready to write it off as an old crime, but Finley, helped by too-attractive private eye Liam McGarrity, can't dismiss the woman that easily. Tracing bac ...more
Heather Jones
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am torn on how well I like the book. It is very well written, great storyline, but the detailed fashion and shopholic portions break the rythmn and I just cannot get fully invested. I do hope to see more books by here and want to read the rest of the series (I picked this book up at a book sale) and am interested in the characters. I just do not think it is a series I will be able to binge read. She makes it seem that shopping thrifty is a bad thing and belabors it cross the point it needs to ...more
A.B.
Aug 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, mystery, chick-lit
This book had a very slow start. Turns out it is the third in a series, but nothing needed to be known from the previous two that wasn't reveled to me anyway eventually so it worked. I do like it, it was exciting, even if I figured out the ending with fifty pages or so left. It got to the point I really didn't want to put it down, which is always a plus for a book. It is not great Literature, but was a fun summer read. I will have to look for the first two and the next one as well.
Charles Duvel
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like humorous mysteries and Fat Chance fit the bill. While the multiple ways that Rhonda Pollero's heroine Finley Tanner goes to hide her wardrobe shortcomings was not of much interest to a guy like me I have known some women that are exactly like that who would go to those same lengths. A quick breezy read without getting lost in the characters. Great for reading at the beach and will keep a smile on your face.
Nancy H
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, this mystery features Finley Anderson Tanner as she tries to find out who murdered the dead girl who was stashed in the closet of the house Finley's mother just sold to her. Finley thinks she knows, but has it all wrong up until the last second when she almost loses her own life. Definitely a page-turner!
Jeanette
These are just light mysteries with a dash of romance. I did figure out this mystery long before the main character and I don't normally do that. So you know it must have been very obvious. The main character is so involved with buying designer clothes that sometimes I have a hard time relating. But that all said, I really enjoy these books. They are not deep -- just fun.
Lynn
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Likeable heroine, hot and helpful men, evil boss, mean girl, shopping...this one has it all. I have seen it compared to Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich's character) but frankly, I think Finley is more cerebral and likeable than Stephanie. I am about done with Stephanie Plum, but Finley is a satisfactory and refreshing female amateur sleuth to take her place.
Ann
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character, Finley Tanner, was very hard to like or feel for. She's lazy, spoiled and unethical. But, by the end of the book, Finley's character and thinking had changed somewhat.

No person can go through life without it affecting them. That's what I enjoy reading and what I saw in this book.
Tina Axell
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, and each one seems to get better. The characters are so well-developed and the storyline a great mixture of friendship, mystery, romance. Even though I figured out the clues this time well before Finley did, I still enjoyed reading to the end. What an ending! Rhonda Pollero really knows the meaning of cliffhanger, I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Kate
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am totally hooked! Love Finley, and this book redeemed the series--after the second F.A.T. mystery, I wasn't sure that this would be a series I continued to follow. I felt like this was a book that made some substantial turns with the character and the supporting characters in her life--and I like where I'm imagining the author will take Finley. I can't wait to read the next one!
Linda
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Extremely lightweight, but sort of fun and quirky for a mystery/romance. I would have given it 3 stars, but there were too many plot holes, lack of in-depth characterization, and unresolved issues. The "heroine" became very annoying as she constantly complained about not being in a relationship, but kept pushing men away from her. The author is pretty darn funny, however.
Cheryl
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like the writing style of this author. And especially like getting swept up into Finley's world of adventure and life in general. This is a funny book with mystery and a little romance. Mostly like the mystery and the trouble she gets into along the way. Her every day life is exhausting but very interesting and consuming to the reader. I didn't want to put the book down.
Carrie
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was good, Pollero really hit her stride. I liked the mystery, even though Finley seemed a bit dense about Melinda, she was fiesty and determined. It was mean of the author to leave things hanging at the end, but I suppose I understand... maybe... :)
Cheryl
Similiar to Janet Evanovich. Laugh out loud. Clutsy paralegal finds a skeleton in her new house on the beach. She investigates to find who the person was. She wrecks cars and has two love interests. FUN!
Becky
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first I'd read of this series - got it from my mom. Even though I was coming in in the middle of the series, I enjoyed this as a fun fast read. Something to distract me from being sick. Finley is a pretty likeable character. Obviously not the next Great Work of Fiction, but a fun read.
Steph
Sep 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've almost had enough already. It's now been 600+ pages and Finley still isn't quite with Liam. Story was quick. Not as good as the first and second ones but now I'm too invested to quit here. Fourth book- here I come.
Leslie
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this was the 3rd in the series when I picked it off the shelves at the library. There was enough references to the first two, I really didn't feel lost. The book was good enough for me to want to read the first 2.
Paula
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this series!!!! Fat Chance was definitely the best of the 3 so far! I can't wait for the 4th book of the series, Slightly Irregular to come out! Finley is such a great character and definitely relatable!! Definitely a great read!
  • Not One Clue (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #6)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Cocktail (Molly Forrester Mystery, #2)
  • Night of the Living Deb (Debutante Dropout, #4)
  • Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)
  • No One to Trust (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #2)
  • Nip, Tuck, Dead (Pauline Sokol, #5)
  • Easy on the Eyes
  • To Take Her Pride
  • Searching for Paradise in Parker, PA
  • Down and Out in the Great Depression: Letters from the Forgotten Man
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)
Rhonda Pollero also writes under the name Kelsey Roberts.
More about Rhonda Pollero...

A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery (6 books)
  • Knock Off (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #1)
  • Knock 'em Dead (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #2)
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #4)
  • Bargain Hunting (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #5)
  • No Returns