Start by marking “There Goes the Bride (Agatha Raisin, #20)” as Want to Read:
There Goes the Bride (Agatha Raisin, #20)

There Goes the Bride

(Agatha Raisin #20)

James Lacey wandered over to the window of his hotel room. His fiancée, Felicity, was asleep. He was feeling some twinges of unease. What he loved about Felicity was the way she looked at him with her large eyes, appearing to drink in every word.

But on the plane journey, he wondered if she were listening to him. “The order to charge was given,” said James, “and a spaceshi
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published September 8th 2009 by AudioGO (first published March 2001)

To ask other readers questions about There Goes the Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Goes the Bride

Start your review of There Goes the Bride (Agatha Raisin, #20)
Kathy
Finally, I've finished by Agatha Raisin reading blitz of the whole series (until the new one comes out in October). I have to admit, because after the first one I wasn't sure I would like the character, that I am now a big Agatha Raisin fan. I enjoyed her emotional and social growth throughout the series, and I think it was an advantage in reading straight through the series to fully appreciate that growth. Her humanity was somewhat lacking in the beginning, but Agatha has done a lot of growing ...more
Jenny L
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Read them! All of them. All 23. They are simply fabulous! I love them and love Agatha Raisin. The stories are set in the English Cotswolds - which is where I'm from, so that makes them extra special, but I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you want to read about an opinionated, outspoken, headstrong single woman in her middle years with no money worries, but men worries and murder at every turn, then you too will love Agatha Raisin. Just make sure you buy more than one at a time, because y ...more
Fiona MacDonald
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I love so much about Agatha Raisin, is her constant optimism in the face of adversity. There was a moment in this book where it seemed like she would retire, but all she really needed was a good holiday!!
Agatha is plunged this time into a murder plot involving the death of her ex husband James's fiance (on her wedding day no less!!) She is also sweet talked by a suave and slimy Frenchman called Sylvan who has numerous dark secrets of his own, as well as the usual panicked calls to her best
Berit☀️✨
Agatha's love life was quite a hot mess in this book....
Agatha going to a dating service was absolutely priceless! Every date Agatha had in this book was quite hilarious.... and this book made me think once again that Agatha and Charles really do belong together, even though Charles is such a selfish ass.... there was quite a lot going on in this book, and as I've mentioned in other reviews I truly like the addition of Tony and Sharon now as well, I like the dynamic of the youth with Agatha.....
Lanelle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
You'd think the main character was in her late teens or early 20s, and not in her mid 50s. There was so much angst, doubts, sexual thoughts, and language.
Damaskcat
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin's former husband, James Lacey is getting married. Agatha has mixed feelings about this event and to take her mind off it she decides she has fallen for a glamorous Frenchman she met at James' engagement party. All the series characters are invited to James' wedding but it seems all is not well with the happy couple and precisely what is the glamorous Frenchman up to?

This is an intriguing mystery with plenty of action and some nail biting scenes in which it seems Agatha just may hav
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
I absolutely love the Agatha Raisin series and this book does not disappoint at all!

Poor Agatha has a right roller coaster of a time in this one! We follow Agatha through another mystery and get to see more of her friends again such as Sir Charles (possibly one of my favourite of her friends!), the characters are explored more deeply and we get to see a bit more of Agatha's vulnerability which deepens the connection with her.

This is one of them mysteries that twists and turns just when you think
Karen M
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, series, cozy-mystery
This series never fails to entertain me. Sometimes you just need to read something light and funny. I always look forward to seeing what trouble Agatha's ego will get her into next.
Gerry
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At one point in 'There Goes the Bride', Agatha Raisin's policeman friend Bill Wong says, 'I should think you've enough work on your hands at the moment ... Just let the police get on with their job.' There's as much chance of that happening as there is of Agatha resisting the charms of any man who chooses to flirt with her.

And so it proves in this thrilling tale of murder and mayhem. It all begins with Agatha thinking of going over to Paris to meet up with a beau she had met at Agatha's ex-husba
bella
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trouble (and murder!) seem to follow Agatha Raisin around. This time when Agatha attends her ex-husband's wedding she doesn't expect the bride to turn up dead, but that is exactly what happens. While Agatha isn't sure how she feels about James Lacey, her ex-husband and on-and-off again crush, she certainly doesn't wish his fiance dead. When Felicity Bross-Tilkington turns up dead right before the "I Do's" the policy point their fingers at Agatha and it's up to Agatha to prove her innocence.

I lov
Erin L
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-british
I'm in the middle of the next book in the series, having just finished this one. Honestly, I feel like the author is just phoning it in at this point.

While I do still see some character development in Agatha, she still makes the same mistakes again and again. And at the end of this book, there were entire chapters devoted to completely pointless crap. I know why it was put in there, but I also strongly suspect it was mostly added to make the book an acceptable length. It also felt contrived and
Emily Cullen
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha's ex-husband is getting married again and Agatha begrudgingly attends, but the wedding is not to be as the bride is shot to death. Knowing Agatha's reputation, the bride's parents ask her to investigate. I took a break from reading the Agatha Raisin mystery series and was delighted to plunge back in again! This is the perfect English village mystery and Agatha is a perfectly unlikeable character. She's not all bad actually, and I enjoy this middle-age woman ever in search of love. I'm loo ...more
El (book.monkey)
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fantastic, it kept me guessing throughout the whole book keeping me interested the whole time, though I did find occasionally that i found Agatha to be a bit of a grumpy old woman but for the most part she was portrayed as what ever 50 year old woman should be like, enthusiastic and energetic.
I do enjoy reading new crime writers because it means I'm not used to the way they write their characters. I do realise I started on the 20th book but I'm not planning on reading the others any ti
Connie
Feb 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love listening to the Agatha Raisin books but in the latest, There goes the Bride, the reader has changed. I have nothing against in fact I like Penelope Keith but she is not the reader I have come to associate with Agatha Raisin. Only listened to one disk.
Cyndi
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James plans on remarrying but then murder arrives, with Agatha, of course. Most people just bring a crockpot as a gift.
Banshee
This novel was a fun, cozy mystery with our favorite insecure private investigator. This novel wasn’t as enjoyable as other novels in the series but I still liked it.

The plot was great with lots of twists and turns. Agatha gets into trouble so many times which was fun to read. I thought I would get annoyed with how many times she got abducted but it fit perfectly with the plot. The main villain wasn’t a surprise, I’m just surprised that the police messed up that badly.

The characters were great
Gail
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. Agatha finds herself on the guest list for her ex-husband's wedding to a young, wealthy beauty. Needless to say, her ego is wounded but with all her Carsely friends around her, the afternoon looks like it will be a success...until her ex quietly appeals to her for help escaping his imminent nuptials.
When a fatal bullet halts the wedding, Agatha must solve the case to keep James from being convicted of murder.
Gina
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars rounded up. These Agatha books get better and better. Especially with regard to James Lacey. Interesting mystery although it did get a little predictable at the end. But the dating agency follies were quite funny. I just wish she'd quit falling in love after one date! Could there still be hope for an Agatha-Charles match? Stay tuned.....
Evelyn
I have seen the TV series of Agatha Raisin mysteries which was not bad. I had heard a few comments that the books were better, so I decided to read one. It was OK, but I think I prefer the more vintage or period mysteries. Agatha is an interesting character, but not to my taste.
Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind)
Coyer Winter Switch

Of course James getting married makes Agatha more mad for him, but when the bride is killed before the ceremony Agatha is angered that James wants to just forget it all. Agatha however can’t , and falls into danger once again. Both James and Agatha fail to learn from their mistakes. Agatha immediately begins to moon over James who has the nerve to invite her to his engagement party and wedding! When the inevitable dead body turns upAgatha scams to have James join her in the iv
Heidi Burkhart
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable and somewhat humorous reread.
Lauren
In this book, Agatha Raisin, private detective, finds herself the prime suspect in a thrilling murder involving her ex-husbands fiancé. On her ex’s big wedding day, the bride-to-be, a whiny young women far out of her ex’s league, is found murdered in her bedroom. What unfolds is a scandalous mystery full of international crime and intrigue with Agatha right at its center.

I did not realize at the time that this book was part of a series (quite a long one, in fact – this was book #20!), which made
Ali
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Agatha's former husband James is engaged to be married to a beautiful, young woman and Agatha has been kindly invited to the wedding. To take her mind off this, Agatha decides she has fallen for Sylvan, a Frenchman she met at James' engagement party. To distract her still further she decides upon a holiday and flies to Istanbul, where unfortunately she bumps into James and his fiancee not once but twice - convincing him she is stalking them. So when the bride is murdered on her wedding day, natu ...more
Mary
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series because it is just great fun....and because it is set in England. Reading it is rather like listening to rock and roll after listening to a Mahler Symphony. This newest book is rather more abrupt in its twists and turns.

Agatha’s former husband James is engaged to be married to a beautiful, young woman and Agatha has been kindly invited to the wedding. To take her mind off this, Agatha decides she has fallen for Sylvan, a Frenchman she met at James’ engagement party. To distra
Georgiann Hennelly
Agatha Raisin is unlucky in love, yet she,s hopelessly romantic. Her exhusband James Lacey is getting married to the beautiful Felicity Bross-Tilkington and it fills Agatha heart with dread. She reluntly takes time from from her successful detective agency to to attend the wedding. Even though she has her sights set on a new man handsome beguiling French man Sylvan. But when the bride is shot and killed moments before the wedding. And Agatha is named the prime suspect . Toni stands ready to help ...more
Tiffunee
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Agatha Raisin is unlucky in love, yet she’s hopelessly romantic. Her ex-husband James Lacey is getting married to the beautiful Felicity Bross-Tilkington and it fills Agatha heart with dread. She reliantly takes time from her successful detective agency to attend the wedding.

Even though she has her sights set on a new man handsome beguiling French man Sylvan. But when the bride is shot and killed moments before the wedding. And Agatha is named the prime suspect.

This is the 1st book I've read i
Linda
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the Agatha Raisin series! What a hoot. Mean-spirited Agatha isn't happy when her ex-husband, James, is about to marry a beautiful young heiress, but she certainly isn't the one who shot the bride before she could say, "I do." However, Agatha is the main suspect. Once again Agatha and her detective agency bumble their way through the investigation to find the killer. M.C. Beaton has wonderfully drawn characters.
Bea Anita
Agatha Raisin is my favorite fictional fifty-something, she reminds me I'm not alone in this world of sore bones, sagging skin, and the lust for adventure. M.C. Beaton never fails me when I'm in need of a light read. I hope she has a storehouse of Agatha Raisins and Hamish MacBeths waiting to emerge.
Jules
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not read any Agatha Raisin for a while. Seeing the recent TV adaptation of The Quiche of Death, has encouraged me to catch up on the books I've not yet read.

This was yet another enjoyable read. Poor Agatha always seems to be getting herself into trouble & sticky situations. That woman has more lives than a cat & really is very unlucky in love!
Sam Wilkinson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun to read adventure with Agatha. Humorous descriptions, outrageous behaviour, peril, and a bodycount to rival a thriller, all of Agatha's nearest and dearest put in appearances to save various days, whilst Agatha is her usual self. I think in real life, Agatha would infuriate me, but on the page, she's utterly lovable.

• Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Date with Danger
  • Arnaques et petits meurtres
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin 24 - Gare aux empoisonneuses (Agatha Raisin enquête)
  • Les morts ont du souci à se faire
  • Deadly Desires at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #2)
  • Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)
  • Bal mortel à Honeychurch : Les mystères de Honeychurch
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • La Cerise sur le gâteau
  • Né sous une bonne étoile
  • Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (The Traveling Matchmaker, #3)
  • The Romance (The Daughters of Mannerling, #5)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Da

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)

News & Interviews