Start by marking “The Grumpy Morning” as Want to Read:

The Grumpy Morning
Published March 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Grumpy Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grumpy Morning

Start your review of The Grumpy Morning
Kay
When the farm animals don't get fed one morning they go looking for the farmer. They find her still in bed. I really like that the farmer is a lady, nice to see the author has created an equality aspect to this story. They animals all get fed and the owl finally gets to go to bed for the day.

Teaching application- This could easily be turned into an interactive story by using plastic farm animals or flannelboard pieces. The story also has delightful rhyming aspect that kids can practice.
Meg McGregor
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lexi-victoria
When the farm animals aren't fed one morning, there is a lot of complaining and negative feelings!

Turns out, the farmer, had overslept! Something, I think, most of us have done, one morning or another! I bet the animals have overslept too, one or two mornings!

What a difference a "Good morning!"can make, in a day!

The girls simply loved the story; I really liked that the farmer was a woman!
Savannah H
Picture Book
Uses rhyme; cute story with barnyard animals
Lindsey Duncan
This book is a another great book about farm animals. It would be a great way fro students to learn about animals and what they eat.
Kessley Butler
The book The Grumpy Morning is about a bunch of animals on the farm who wake up early and are hungry for breakfast. They are impatiently waiting for the farmer to wake up and feed them. The author Pamela Duncan Edwards uses rhyming to transition between the different animals. In the end the farmer wakes up and feds the animals and gives them love.

There didn't really seem to be any kind of message being delivered in this book, but I did like the idea that the animals were like her children. They
Deserae
This is fun way to teach children about rhyming words and responsibility, if you have made a commitment to do something it is important that you keep that commitment because you want to be considered a dependable person. Growing up I knew that if I wanted an education I would get up at 4 a.m and make my 5 o'clock bus to get to school on time and that was a commitment I made to myself and my educators and I also valued that commitment. School has been wonderful for me and I can share my ...more
Angela Hutchinson
In this book, the farmer over sleeps and the animals are going crazy because their food has not been distributed, as it normally is. All ten animals begin to panic and wake the farmer lady. So, she rises and feed the animals and it becomes a good day. This would be a great mentor text to use with younger students to teach the concept of rhyming. It would also be a good book for beginning readers.
Sandra Strange
This picture book is aimed at the younger readers (1-3) with barnyard creatures making their characteristic noises to communicate their grumpiness because they needed to be fed. Then the female farmer is awakened by a friendly moth, feeds each animal, and the grumpiness is over. It's cute, with fun, clear illustrations, so the very youngest can identify each animal and review their characteristic sounds--twice.
Sabrina Henry
This book is about some animals being noisy and grumpy in the morning as they complain about their needs, etc. As their master got up to feed them and calm them down, everything changed and they were not complaining anymore.
The story was humorous and the storyline is beautiful and easy to be understood. This picture book has bright, colorful and funny illustrations. This book can be used to encourage children to dramatize or make the sounds of the animals.
Jade Detzer
The Grumpy Morning is a great book to use for learning animal sounds as well as rhyming. The animals are all grumpy because their farmer has not gotten out of bed to feed them. This book can also be used to teach about responsibility and how to be a dependable person as well as how breakfast is a vital part of the morning and it is important to eat something when you wake up in order to start your day off in a great mood!
Kelly Thevenot
The Grumpy Morning is a cute children's book about animals on the farm. The animals are grumpy because their farm owner has not got out of bed yet to feed them and they are hungry. This would be a good way to teach children that if you skip breakfast it can make you grumpy and your brains will not work to learn anything. The animals are finally happy after she feeds them.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
This is about a farmer who overslept and her animals were upset and were not having a good morning. The cows wanted to go for there walk, the dog wanted breakfast and the goats wanted to eat oats. The animals decided to pay her a visit to wake her up. She got up and pretended like she did not oversleep and tend to her animals normally.
Colleen
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: female-focus
This book has a short read aloud story with lots of animals sounds and is one of the only books I can find where the animals are a mix of genders. At the end the farmer is female, defying our strongly set stereotype!
Christy
A good book for kindergarten and first graders. This is the story about how all of the animals on the farm wake up one morning and how they all have something to say; They want to be fed!!! The farmer overslept and every animal is grumpy!
Lindsay
All the farm animals wake up on the proverbial wrong side of the bed. Simple rhyming couplets and animal sounds make this a versatile book. The final pages switch from "them" to "us" which is a bit confusing. Otherwise, another great storytime title found on the farm.
Lori Smith
Great book for introducing farm animals and the sounds they make. This book is also a fun way to discuss rhyme. The farm animals are grumpy because they have not been fed breakfast. This could be used to discuss breakfast being the most important meal of the day.
Renee
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2yr-preschool
Shelves: picturebook-farm
I appreciate that there is a female farmer which is a farm picturebook rarity.
Alyce Dougan
The Grumpy Morning is about morning time on the farm and the animals are all ready to be fed. The book was easy to follow and rhymed. Young children will like it.
Sara Brand
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a good book about how your mood can affect others
Megan Sutherland
The animals on the farm are hungry. When will the farmer wake up and feed them?
Nichole
Cute book about all the animals on the farm waking up hungry.
Megan Rowland
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece3601, rhyming
The book is engaging becuse it rhymes and is about animals. I would be able to read this book in a language arts lesson because of the rhyming.
Kelly
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book about farm animals. It contains all of the sounds they make and the book rhymes. I could use this in a Pre-K classroom.
Suzie
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We reread this in 2020 on a VERY grumpy morning, and it helped to turn the mood around!
Christine Levinge
This book is a fun farm animal story. This would be a great interactive read, as the teacher can prompt the children to participate in all of the different animal sounds.
Ahmad Worthy
I like this book because it introduced different farm animals to the children. It also used rhyming words to keep the children interest.
Kimberly Entrekin
Rhyming words. I could use this book in the classroom for children to identify words that rhyme. Use it as part of a lesson plan.
Crissy
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were cute, I liked the rhyme and rythm of the writing, but the title should have been the HUNGRY morning, not the grumoy morning.
Katie Beck
I enjoyed reading this book. I think that it is a great book to teach children about farm animals and about ryhming words.

• Split! Splat!
  • The Best Mouse Cookie
  • The New Bear at School
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Shopkins: Welcome to Shopville
  • Oh, Bother! Someone's Messy!
  • Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1)
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Tell Me One Thing, Dad
  • How Many Kisses Do You Want Tonight?
  • Hush, Little Horsie
  • Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse
  • Every Cowgirl Needs Dancing Boots
  • Tea Time with Sophia Grace and Rosie
  • Fin M'Coul: The Giant of Knockmany Hill
  • Row Row Row Your Boat
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Duck & Goose
Pamela Duncan Edwards grew up in northern England and moved to the United States several years ago with her husband and two sons. She has lived in the Washington, D.C. area ever since. Her father wrote childrens stories for magazines in England and his love of childrens literature was a huge influence on her. Pamela taught preschool for eleven years in England before becoming a childrens librarian ...more