Start by marking “Money for Nothing” as Want to Read:
Money for Nothing

Money for Nothing

(The Drones Club)

A P.G. Wodehouse novel

The peaceful slumber of the Worcester village of Rudge-in-the-Vale is about to be rudely disrupted. First there's a bitter feud between peppery Colonel Wyvern and the Squire of Rudge Hall, rich but miserly Lester Carmody. Second, that arch-villain Chimp Twist has opened a health farm - and he and Soapy and Dolly Molloy are planning a fake burglary so
Published October 2nd 2008 by Arrow (first published January 1st 1928)

To ask other readers questions about Money for Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Money for Nothing

Start your review of Money for Nothing
Jason Koivu
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What ho?! A smashing early Wodehouse? Topping!

I thought I'd sworn off early Wodehouse works. The one's I've read so far have been blah. Just drippy romances with the lightest of comedy touches. Nothing worth wasting time on.

However, I grabbed this one on audiobook because I saw that it was narrated by Jonathan Cecil, who does a corking good job with the English toff voice. As far as voicing the upperclass English twit, Cecil's top of his class!

descriptiondescriptiondescription
descriptiondescription

Money for Nothing follows a common Wodehouse templa
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
Damn! I usually love Wodehouse, so to read a book of his that I only liked was hugely disappointing.

The beginning was the best with some wonderfully witty lines- especially during the first meeting of Molloy & Lester Carmody. I was hopeful that this book was going to develop at the same mad cap speed of my all time favourite Wodehouse Frozen Assets by P.G. Wodehouse But the final two thirds of the book was a muddled mess & I hardly cracked a smile.
Nancy
Wodehouse wordplay and a few new twists plus one old one, so to speak, on a standard Wodehouse plot. What's not to enjoy?
Sun
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Wodehouse and consider his writing marvellous in every way. Well, perhaps every way except one: Wodehouse novels are hard to read if you don't plug away at them consistently or devour them in one or two sittings. The plots and characters are simply too similar to remember between one reading and the next, especially if you, like me, have read so many of his books. There's always a Major or a Captain or a policeman in there somewhere, a stupid one. There's a country estate. There ...more
QNPoohBear
Mr. Lester Carmody is not having a good time of it. First, his dearest friend Colonel Wyvern is not speaking to Mr. Carmody because the Colonel claims Mr. Carmody shoved his friend in front when faced with nearly being blown up with dynamite. Mr. Carmody refuses to apologize for nothing. Then, Mr. Carmody checks into Heathward Ho! a health spa that restricts his consumption of food, alcohol and cigarettes!!! Dr. Twist even prescribes ... exercise! (Imagine that!) Mr. Carmody manages to escape th ...more
Leslie
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, audiobooks
Lots of fun! I had actually read a subsequent book with some of these characters (Hugo Carmody and Ronnie Fish) earlier this year - "Summer Lightening".

I started reading this as an ebook (borrowed from the Open Library) but really wanted to listen to the audiobook edition. So much so that in fact I bought it when I couldn't find a library that I belong to that had it! Jonathan Cecil is so wonderful narrating and his voices for the various characters are just right. 4.5* for this audiobook editi
Julia
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, 2010-list
After reading a spate of Jeeves and Wooster books, Money for Nothing seems refreshingly, umm...fresh. It could be I'm a sucker for a book where the guy actually wants the girl. Or maybe I was just in the mood for some character development. Bertie Wooster, bless his heart, is a character from the start, but he doesn't seem to develop one smidgen from one book to the next.

In Money for Nothing, P.G. Wodehouse doesn't have to worry about keeping Bertie "just-so", and his characters develop quite n
Jacquelyn Moses
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PG Wodehouse will always get 5 stars from me. Not because of his insight into human nature or his straightforward plots, but for the way he can turn a phrase. It’s always refreshing, totally entertaining and a wonderful light summer read.
Ram Kaushik
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Comic genius at work in top form! Who but Wodehouse can dream up scenes like
1. A lord stuck on a second floor windowsill with a curious bird investigating proceedings.
2. A sozzled aristocrat quoting Shakespeare to a terrified burglar.
And many more!
The world would be a much poorer place without regular doses of PGW.
Illiterate
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Burglars bungle. Cavemen triumph.
Fazackerly Toast
even minor P G Wodehouse gives more pleasure than virtually anything else that you can read.
Barbara Sydow
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the most British thing ever. And I mean that in the best way possible. There are disgruntled landed gentry, con artists from Chicago who sound like they fell out some bad film noir, star-crossed lovers, wayward spendthrift nephews who stand to inherit, and merry mishaps, all of which you just know will resolve by the end of the book under happy and ridiculous circumstances. This is my first Wodehouse; I'd definitely be up for more of the same.
Chris
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty fun Wodehouse story, especially for one lacking in both Blandings and Jeeves.
Cindy
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wodehouse is my favorite escape from the real world.
John Frankham
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-fiction
Wodehouse at near his best in one of his 'will the manly but shy hero get the girl in the end' light comedies. Here, the hero is not called Bill, as seems usual (hence the song by Wodehouse - He's just my Bill, an ordinary guy, you'd meet him in the street and never notice him ...etc!), but John.

The action is mostly set at Rudge Hall, home to miser Lester Carmody and his nephews, and at Healthward Ho, a health farm run by "Chimp" Twist, along with his cohorts "Soapy" and "Dolly" Molloy, who all
Elliot
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fiction
Wodehouse will always get in a few passages of beautifully written prose in every book. But given his usually high standard, I was a little disappointed with this one. For one thing, he gives dialogue to a dog, which just doesn't work. Add to that that this book lacks some of his most well-known and well-loved characters, and I'm afraid this isn't in the top half of what he's written.
Nita
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The comedy circus meets a French farce, is one way of describing the various characters and the unlikely situations they find themselves in.
Of all the characters P.G.Wodehouse has created, I like his Female protagonists best. he always gives a miss to a simpering miss. Here's one whose frog changes into a prince.
Alik
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forget for a moment about Barth, Sterne and Pynchon, and this would be the funniest thing since Jerome K. Jerome (some 25 years older, in my case).
Caroline
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
There is nobody like Wodehouse when you need a spot of madcap escapades and hilarious shenanigans.
Roshni
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy-and-humor
A standalone Wodehouse that doesn't disappoint. A classic plot involving robbers, hidden identities, and lots of comedy.
Joe Stevens
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wodehouse worlds bounce off each other in this charming British Castle novel that is something of a prequel for the Blandings Castle two-parter Summer Lightning & Heavy Weather which kicked off the glory days of that great series. Hugo Carmody and Ronald Fish, who are minorish character here, will play roles for which they are more famous in those Blandings novels. They are also member of the Drones Club to which many fatheaded young men in the Wodehouse universe belong. The most famous member o ...more
David Miller
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
To read P.G. Wodehouse is to enter a different world, full of entertainment, virtue, and derring-do, where the right young man always marries the right young lady in the end. Genuine malice never enters this world, but it is full of normal human frailty.

This particular novel includes typical Wodehousian criminals, a gang of thieves intent on the heirlooms belonging to a venerable old English country house. In this instance the lord of the manor invites himself in on the scheme; at this time, or
Arti
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
(Finally got to really read and finish the book that has been on my reading shelf almost
thru the year)

I read a PG Wodehouse after years(!) and it was as charming and hilarious as ever... complete with its eccentric characters, unconventional situations and madcap escapades...

It was like going back into time - a lazy day, doing nothing, just enjoying the dry humour and style of writing...

The plot centres around a fake burglary to claim insurance money... and the title is apt as the attempt is to
Gavin
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous as ever. Was snorting on the Tube over it.

----

This was surprising, for 1928:
You're a confirmed settler-down, the sort of chap that likes to roll the garden lawn and then put on his slippers and light a pipe and sit side by side with the little woman, sharing a twin set of head phones.

But Wiki tells me this was indeed possible, for a posh progressive couple. Not sure why they'd do this instead of a gramophone - maybe it was for the radio.
SHUBHOJEET SAHOO
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
English countryside in 1920s. Serenity, peaceful slumber all around. People at Rudge-in-the-Vale village usually prefer taking an afternoon siesta during summer to taking a leisurely walk across the village. Therefore it does become quite entertaining when, under such innocuous circumstances, a series of events take place in the lives of some of the village's denizens which ultimately goes on to add life to this otherwise laid-back, unbeknownst piece of a place.

The entire story revolves around
Todd Martin
Lester nearly kills Colonel Wyvern in an explosion.
Lester’s nephew John loves Pat (Colonel Wyvern’s daughter).
Pat likes John, though thinks him spineless.
Lester is having money troubles.
Soapy and Dolly are grifters who scheme with Lester to steal some heirlooms.
They enlist the assistance of Chimpy, a grifter-come-health spa operator.
Hugo (another of Lester’s nephews) proposes marriage to Pat, who accepts.

And as one might assume … a terrible muddle ensues.
But all is set to right in the end.

What
Beau Stucki
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“What Wodehouse writes is pure word music. It matters not one whit that he writes endless variations on a theme of pig kidnappings, lofty butlers, and ludicrous impostures. He is the greatest musician of the English language, and exploring variations of familiar material is what musicians do all day.” - Douglas Adams

I don’t know how Wodehouse does it. It fascinates me and much as it amuses me.
Diwakar
A gentle entertainer for lazy holidays, this book has all the trademark Wodehouse characteristics (hard uncles, romantic youngsters, butlers, absurd feuds) along with gangsters! The book doesn't really standout with many of the usual PGW plotlines used with the usual sprinkling of wit in each chapter. The highlight for me was the Healthward Ho chapter where Dr Twist makes New men for old!
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

More or less the quintessential Wodehouse novel, with a country manor, a romance frustrated by misunderstanding, comings, goings, comedy mishaps, and several greedy protagonists locked in a tangle of one-upmanship, all exquisitely facetious in the telling, the prose gilded in its loquacity.
Cassie
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lighthearted
Quirky and fun, as usual for Wodehouse, but it's a plot he's done before and this time not nearly as solidly. While I love Wodehouse's seeming haphazardness when it comes to storytelling, this one was one of those where it didn't quite work.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)
  • The First Casualty
  • Titmuss Regained
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • The Fear Institute (Johannes Cabal, #3)
  • Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)
  • The Brothers Cabal (Johannes Cabal, #4)
  • The Fall of the House of Cabal (Johannes Cabal, #5)
  • Wives and Daughters
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Just William (Just William, #1)
  • North Korea Journal
  • To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Sergeant Cluff Stands Firm
  • The Wilt Inheritance (Wilt, #5)
  • Dangerous Days in the Roman Empire: Terrors and Torments, Diseases and Deaths
  • A Holiday by Gaslight
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more

The Drones Club (7 books)
  • Mr. Mulliner Speaking
  • Young Men in Spats
  • Lord Emsworth and Others (Blandings Castle, #5.5)
  • Eggs, Beans, and Crumpets
  • Nothing Serious (Blandings Castle, #7.5)
  • A Few Quick Ones (Jeeves, #11.5)
  • Plum Pie (Jeeves, #13.5)