Start by marking “The Farseekers: The Obernewtyn Chronicles 2” as Want to Read:
The Farseekers: The Obernewtyn Chronicles 2

The Farseekers: The Obernewtyn Chronicles 2 (The Obernewtyn Chronicles #2)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  6,372 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
in the two years since its takeover of Obernewtyn, the secret community of Misfits has flourished. Protected by their remoteness, Elspeth Gordie and her allies have worked hard to develop their forbidden mental abilities—all in preparation for their inevitable confrontation with the totalitarian Council. And though their training is far from complete, the Misfits can no lo ...more
Published December 9th 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Farseekers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Farseekers

Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continuing in my quest of re-reading all the books before the final book is in my hands (ahahaha why did I start this so late?!)

*happy sigh*

I love this world so much! I never really understand people who aren't re-readers. Each to their own of course, but reading an old favourite is like coming home. Even when you can see the first steps of a horrible future event clicking into place. Even when you just want to wrap up all the characters in a warm blanket and keep them all warm and safe.

With th
Bree T
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saving-the-world
It’s been two years since Elspeth and Rushton successfully ousted Alexi and Madam Varga from Obernewtyn and Rushton took his rightful place as the Master. Since then it’s been a peaceful place to live, with the ‘Misfits’ embracing their differences, even establishing ‘guilds’ where they can join and better hone their particular talents. It has become a refuge for others just like them and due to their location they’ve been relatively unbothered by the Council. Elspeth uses her position as mistre ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This review contains some spoilers of the first book.

It has been two years since the climactic events of the first book, Obernewtyn , occurred. Elspeth is about seventeen years old and still recovering from the burns to her feet and legs, not helped by the aching cold of the mountains in winter - the same mountains and weather that keep Obernewtyn, now a safe refuge for misfits with unique powers, safe. Under the new master of Obernewtyn, Rushton Seraphim, the Misfits - as the ruling Council ha
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this was a pretty good book, however the first chapter (with one of those random *2 years later* time jumps since the first book) was rather strange and confusing. Also it really jumped straight into a bunch of new terminology and systems without really explaining too much, which was frustrating. Seeing "Guilden", "Guildmerge" and similar terms pop up about 50 times in the first chapter with no explanation...
Anyway, getting beyond that: I liked the new character introductions, especiall
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, re-read
Well, it's better than Obernewtyn, for sure.

*Spoilers for Obernewtyn, the first book*

Continuing my re-read of the Obernewtyn chronicles, I devoured most of this one in a night. Interestingly, it's set some time after Obernewtyn ends, and therefore we don't get most of the fight against Alexi and Madame Vega, nor Rushton's work at being made legal owner of the place. Possibly because Elspeth is out of it for a while thanks to the burns to her legs? Anyway, we open here rather abruptly to discover
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I got the first one from the library and towards the end of the first book I knew this was something interesting. But it wasn’t until the second book (at the end of the second book no less) when I knew I had something fascinating in my hands. The moment that really got me was when the horse Gahltha pledges his loyalty to Elspeth and promises to help her and never leave her side (there’s a reason why of course) but I was so moved by this previously-arrogant horse and his devotion, that my hear ...more
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'd really like to give this one 4.5 stars. I tend to be quite sceptical as I read books, assuming that the author is leading me into a long boring part of a story where no real action or surprising plot twists can be had. I love it when an author proves me wrong.
The action in this book is really rather good. Definitely engaging and absolutely capable of keeping me wanting to read more.
I must say, that by the end of the book I was getting a bit sick of all the obstacles. I tend to get impatient
Oct 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't quite as good as the first in the series (mostly due to repetitive word use--see: "guild" and "guildmerge"). But, once you get past the beginning, it's a pretty lively story. I enjoyed the growing equality of humans with animals, though I wonder--are all animals equally smart? How do they feel about eating them, then? There are ethical questions that should be mentioned that never are. Also, I feel like Carmody often singles out one random character to die in each book. Most of the ti ...more
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This one jumps ahead a bit from where Obernewtyn ended. The Misfits have organized into Guilds, according to their particular gifts, and each has its own agenda. A cooperative venture forms between the Tecknoguild, who seeks a library that may reveal more about the Beforetimers' machines, and the Farseekers -- led by Elspeth -- who are trying to track down a powerful Misfit.

I still like the level of grittiness of this world, and the characters who are meant to be endearing always are, but I hone
My re-read continues. I felt like the writing was slightly better in this one, but still not stellar. I think the main problem is that overall it's pretty formulaic fantasy writing. Y'know: good vs. evil. Carmody's characterization isn't earth-shattering by any means. But I love all the feisty friendly disabled folks, and the premise is what gets me on these, still. I have to say, i WAS kind of disappointed that Elspeth gets magically cured in this one. I forgot that part. On to the next one!
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was quite a good sequel, though it definitely felt like an in-between book. Lots of world & character building but not a lot of plot progression. Really loved the scene where they found the Old-time library, as well as the part where Elspeth is found by the birds. The story just keeps on getting more interesting.
Carla *Jen7waters*
So much better than the first one (Rushton, love!:D) and Dragon is such a great character.
*PT*Cuidado com o Dálmata - Obernewtyn e The Farseekers
Misha Husnain Ali
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one a lot more than the first, which is likely because the first book sets up a lot of things and has very little action in favor of exposition about the world. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED book 2!! Amazing ending, excited to read book 3!!
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read in preparation for release of The Red Queen.
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes adventure!
Just as good as the first! Glad I saw it on Choupette's book list:o) On to number 3...
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just wish she would fall in love with Rushton!!!
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming into your stride. Finding out what your quest is.
B. R.  Kyle
Things I Liked:
~Interesting Plot: I liked how the characters and the plot intertwined together and I loved how multiple people and animals were undertaking their own personal journeys and character development and how all of that connected together in the end.

~The Harsh Reality of War: Isobelle Carmody didn’t shy away from the greater ramifications of what the Misfits are trying to accomplish and what the Council will be willing to do in order to stop them. There’s going to be civil war, one way
Kylie Purdie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
It's been over 20 years since I read the Obernewtyn Chronicles and I'm loving the fact that Carmody's writing well and truly stands the test of time.
I found The Farseekers had a quicker pace to it than Obernewtyn. Elspeth and a group of other misfits from Obernewtyn set off to complete a couple of missions. Things of course do not go to plan and they find themselves having to deal with some uncertain situations. Within this, Carmody allows her characters to grow and show themselves in a differe
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian
Not a bad sequel. I read Obernewtyn long enough ago that I couldn't quite remember what happened, but thankfully The Farseekers sums it up well enough that I didn't have to reread it.

The plot of this book seemed thin. Not to say that it wasn't entertaining or interesting, but it certainly seemed like a lot of padding. I got the feeling that Carmody was moving characters around, and taking the opportunity to introduce new characters before she could move on and tell the story she really wanted t
Amanda Wells
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think if I had read these books when I was in highschool, they would have been all I thought about. The characters, the world - just great.

I'm often nervous to read something that was written more than ten years ago for young adults, as sometimes authors attempt to connect to 'the youth' by saying some borderline offensive things that do not last the test of time. That's not the case so far here.

I also appreciate that the major plotlines of the story haven't been brushed aside to make room for
After re-reading my review of Obernewtyn, I find that I don't have much new or different to say about this book, second in the series that now has seven books, with publication dates ranging from 1987 to 2015. I still enjoyed the setting and the story; I still like Elspeth and her "misfit" friends; I still worry about what will happen to people with powers like hers; and my main complaint is still the simplicity of the good vs evil dichotomy.

I did find the episode with the bird a bit far-fetche
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Wow - what an action packed, whacked out novel this is. I loved every moment. The Farseekers really builds on what we know of Elspeth's world and introduces new plot threads. The tragedy of the third act still breaks my heart. I love Galtha's introduction to the story and we see the beginnings of Elspeth's character flaws in this one. Also, gypsy disguises!
Jody Ellis
It was ok. Nothing memorable. I struggle to see how 6 books can exist for this story. It seems dragged out, too much. Here's to a good third book or I fear my interest will vanish and I won't finish the chronicles.
Paige (lookbetweenthepaiges)
A lot better then the first book, this one seems to flow more. The characters were all a little confusing, what with new ones being introduced out of the blue. I love the plot though, it is slowly building and i love it!
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this series, the first book took a little to get into and I feel suffered a bit from 1st book written by writer syndrome a bit, wasn't as well developed. However this one is great and I loved and am looking forward to reading the other books in this series.
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Less strong than Obernewtyn. Very much a middle child, establishing a bunch of story arcs that will probably be better resolved in the following books. Still, very enjoyable!
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)
  • The Gods of Amyrantha (Tide Lords, #2)
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
  • The Tainted (Isles of Glory, #3)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Night Is for Hunting (Tomorrow, #6)
  • Galax-Arena
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • Dragonfang (The Jelindel Chronicles #2)
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy
More about Isobelle Carmody...

The Obernewtyn Chronicles (8 books)
  • Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1)
  • Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)
  • The Sending (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #6)
  • The Red Queen (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #7)
  • The Obernewtyn Chronicles: Books 1 - 6

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
  • Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“The worst predijudice is unknowing. We think we treat others as equals, but, in our deepest heart, we regard ourselves as superior. In part, this is because we are, in ways, powerful. But that does not make the race of humans (funanga) better than that of the dog or equine.” 24 likes
“Life has always been a matter of putting one's feet down carefully” 18 likes