Start by marking “Six-Dinner Sid” as Want to Read:
Six-Dinner Sid

Six-Dinner Sid (Six Dinner Sid #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  860 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Unbeknownst to each of his owners, Sid the cat lives with six different people on the same street. By doing so, he's able to get six different dinners every night! He also answers to six names, sleeps in six beds, and maintains six different personalities.
All is perfect for Sid - until the day he catches a dreadful cough. Then it is off to the vet not once, but six times!
Published April 1st 1993 by Aladdin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Six-Dinner Sid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six-Dinner Sid

Lisa Vegan
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
4 stars – star off for calling Sid’s people his owners. I hate that term as it relates to dogs, cats, and all animals.

But this is a wonderful book. It complately charmed me.

The illustrations are fabulous. I love each painting. I love the colors, style, expressiveness, especially of Sid. I love the page with the 6 different places to be scratched.

The author definitely knows cats. I think all cat lovers will enjoy this book.

I really enjoyed the story of wily Sid. I love the street names Aristot
Ami
Feb 21, 2010 added it
Shelves: 2010
A cat named Sid fools six neighbors on one street into thinking that he is their cat, in order to get six dinners. And when he gets a cough, he's taken six times to the vet, who realizes that Sid is only one cat, and tells all of his "owners". They get mad, so Sid moves to a different street, where everyone knows his game, and the last line of the book reads, "...and because everyone knew, nobody minded". I wonder if the author is polyamorous...?

I didn't care for it because I worried that some k
Tracey Young
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simply the sweetest and funniest little story. This book is about a cat called Sid who has six different owners, therefore he has six dinners each day. None if his owners know about each other until one day they find out. The book has delightful illustrations of Sid's many comic facial expressions. There is a nice little twist at the end has the right blend of cheekiness and morality to appeal to us all. Very clever use of street names where Sid lived, it will be many years before the children a ...more
Mairead Flannery
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pgce
This is a lovely story about a cat named Sid who loved his dinners. Every day he didn’t only have one dinner, he had six! He didn’t get his dinners from just one owner; no Sid had six owners who feed him dinner dinners every day. Sid was the only one that knew. His owners all thought they were his only owner. Then one day this would all change. What is going to happen to Sid? Will he still get his six dinners?

I like this story because it is able to keep the children attention throughout. The chi
Plch
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I'm reading it every night to my 4 years old son, he has started to anticipate what I'm going to say, he especially likes to list what Sid will eat and want me to scracth him like Sid's owners scratch the cat :)
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The most lovely book I could imagine, teaching children that loving doesn't mean you own someone.
Lance
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adam
"Sid lived in six houses so that he could have six dinners."

Six Dinner Sid was my favourite picture book when I was a child. The author has definitely captured the fundamanetal nature of the cat, unapologetically cheeky, Sid loves affection but he is ultimately out forn himself and his stomach.
A black cat called Sid has hoodwinked six separate residents in a street where no one talks to their neighbours into feeding him as they all believe he belongs to them alone. "And, besides, he liked being
Emelda
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aw, this book was so cute! I just got it on Amazon after reading that it might be a good book for polyamorous families to read to their kids and discuss (and, after reading this, I’d say any family that has more than two parents- step parents, birth parents, etc.)

It’s an adorable picture book about a black cat (also, LOVE! Black cats- and all black animals- are killed at higher rates in shelters, so yay for books starring them!) whose name is Sid. He “scams” 6 different families into giving him
Braiden Boswell
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Book Review of: Six-Dinner Sid
The book is about Sid the cat. Sid the cat is a cat that lives at six different houses.
He likes to live at six houses because he gets six different dinners. And he had to go to the vet not once,but six times.

The book Six-Dinner Sid is a good book for Third grade and under. This book was not one that I would read again. I would give it a two out of five.
Elys
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
'Six Dinner Sid' is a lovely story, great for children in the EYFS, and potentially into Year One as well. Sid is a cat, who likes to eat six dinners a day, so he lives at numbers 1-6 Aristotle Street (unbeknownst to his owners, who, because they don't speak to each other, each think he is theirs exclusively). Sid's life is perfect until he catches a cold and is taken to the vet, who works out Sid's secret, and, ahem, 'lets the cat out of the bag'. Unhappy with his new ration of one dinner a day ...more
Meg McGregor
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sid is one very clever cat! He eats six meals a day, thanks to all the people who live on Aristotle Street!

Now, how can people who live on the same block not know they are feeding the same cat? Easy - no communication.

But I can't blame them. I have lived on the same block for twenty years. After meeting my first neighbor, who is the embodiment of Satan herself, I stopped trying to be friendly.

I do have a couple of people I talk to on the street but not many. The area I live in has a very high t
Aidan Till
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Book Review of: Six-Dinner Sid
This book is about how Sid would go from house to house and eat six dinner.
Another thing is Sid would work really hard to get his six dinners.Also the neighbors don't talk to each other.
Six-Dinner Sid is is a good book.If I rated this book from 1-10 I would give it an 8.There is a lot of detail in this book,but it does have some bad grammar in part of the book.I would recommend this book to my little brother and sister.That is what I think of the book.
Zurks
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this and wish I had children to read with.

The pictures and story were engaging, Sid makes a cute cat, and there were lessons behind the story, eg. the moral of honesty, an insight into different household compositions, and community values. Short, sweet and entertaining. Plus, I like cats.
Kathleen Dixon
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
Shelves: children-s, animals
I have a friend who shares a cat with a group of neighbours, so this book totally rang true. Sid is wonderful, the illustrations are excellent, and the text is just right. Both I and the kids loved it.
Cal
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a cat person, I love this book. I have definitely suspected certain cats in my house of doing this. The illustrations have a lot of character, especially the one with him getting fed medicine over and over and over xD This was a childhood favorite of mine.
Kathryn
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Sid is such a smart kitty living in a neighborhood where each house thinks they own him, so he gets six times of everything. Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur...
Sonia
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
well loved in our family. especially the subtle wit of the illustrations showing Sid`s changing moods. ...more
Amanda
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love this; think our one cat would do this if he could get away with it.
Rob
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a creative and fantastic kid's book. Especially that ending. ("Everyone knew, so nobody cared.")
Angela Tuson
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful story for those who think they know their household cat.
Cat
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Too funny! I love this sneak little cat who's always hungry and finds a way to get six families to feed him! Little ones, especially those who love cats!, will enjoy this story! Art work is great!
Christabelle
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the pictures in this one! What a rascally little cat living six lives at once. My kids got a kick out of it, too.
Rylan Hayes
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CATS!!!!!!!!
Mary
Cute premise. I feel like there could have been a little more story, a little more excitement, but I do love the illustrations.
Karen GoatKeeper
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sid likes having six dinners every day. To get them he lives at six houses and behaves in six different ways. Then he gets a cough.
The pictures are colorful and well done. The story is fun. Sid may be a con artist but he is too delightful to care.
This book is short. It always makes me laugh.
Timothy Tilbury
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Six dinner Sid is the story of a greedy Cat named Sid who lives at number one Aristotle Street where he has a very comfortable life, with a loving family. However Sid also happens to live at number two Aristotle Street and number three, in fact Sid really lived at one to six Aristotle Street with six different families all because Sid loves eating his dinner so much that he has six different dinners every day one at each house. Sid is a cat who is addicted to having six meals a day and glories i ...more
Rachel
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
‘Six-Dinner Sid’ by Inga Moore is an entertaining tale about a mischievous cat. Sid lives with six different neighbours in six different houses on the same street. Sid gets to have six different dinners every evening as each neighbour thinks the cat belongs to them. As you can imagine, Sid is definitely a cat ‘who got the cream’. Life was perfect for Sid until he caught a nasty cough. He went to the vet not once but a grand total of six times. The vet found it quite strange that six cats on the ...more
Farah
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Gue sukaaaa banget sama buku ini.
Buku ini lucu sekali.
Jenis buku yang akan gue beli, berapapun harganya, dan akan gue bacakan ke anak gue kelak.
Karena gue bacain buku ini ke keponakan gue, dan dia ketawa ngikik.

Ceritanya, Sid ini tinggal di jalan Aristotle dimana penghuninya ngga 'nenangga'. Jadi ga pernah tegor-tegoran satu sama lain. Dan si Kucing bernama Sid ini memanfaatkan keadaan itu dengan begitu pinternya sampe-sampe dia bisa dapet 6 kali dinner. Huahahahahahaha...
Hebatnya, dia juga jag
Thabata
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, cat-books
Barbara Radisavljevic
Sid is one smart cat. He's got six different families who think they own him -- all on the same block. He got a different dinner from each one every day and no one got wise to Sid's duplicity because none of the neighbors ever talked to each other. All that changed, however, when Sid caught a nasty cough, and all six "owners" took Sid to the same vet, where he was given six different doses of medicine. After seeing the same cat six times in a day, he got suspicious, checked his address book and ...more
  • The Good Luck Cat
  • Two of Everything
  • Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story
  • The Church Mouse
  • Slinky Malinki
Inga Moore is a distinguished author and illustrator of children’s books whose illustrated titles include acclaimed versions of THE SECRET GARDEN and THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS. She lives in England.
More about Inga Moore...