Start by marking “Six-Dinner Sid” as Want to Read:
Six-Dinner Sid

Six-Dinner Sid

(Six Dinner Sid #1)

Unbeknownst to each of his owners, Sid the cat lives with six different people on the same street. By doing so, he's able to get six different dinners every night! He also answers to six names, sleeps in six beds, and maintains six different personalities.
All is perfect for Sid - until the day he catches a dreadful cough. Then it is off to the vet not once, but six times!
Published April 1st 1993 by Aladdin (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Six-Dinner Sid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six-Dinner Sid

Start your review of Six-Dinner Sid
Cecily
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A true story of six cats and more than six dinners.

Sitty

Once upon a time, more than 20 years ago, my toddler introduced an imaginary friend: a cat called Sitty. She was a member of our family and our storytelling for several years - except one afternoon, when apparently she said she didn’t want to be my child’s friend any more! They made it up.

Image: Small child’s drawing of cat, similar to one my toddler drew (Source.)

Sitty had a strong personality and presence (like my child), and I sometime
Lori
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to an inviting review from my GR friend Laysee, who was buoyed by Sid when she was feeling ill, I helped myself to Sid and his six dinners and saved him for a proverbial rainy day. I'm glad I did; this clever cutie has me smiling and I know he will again and again.

Six-dinner Sid lives on Aristotle Street, whose residents pay no attention to one another. So each day Sid sashays from house to house eating six different dinners, sleeping in six different beds, being scratched in six differen
Jan-Maat
A sly commentary on the atomisation and breakdown of traditional social cohesion in urban communities that possibly also contrasts Aristotle and Pythagoras as philosophical and social role models in the form of a children's picture book.

The silo mentality of the inhabitants of Aristotle street is exploited by the eponymous cat to score six dinners every day - at some psychic cost as he must remember six distinct names and identities, but the illustrations show him becoming pleasingly plump at th
Laysee
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A friend made me a gift of this book when she learned how much I loved a YouTube reading of this story. I sought comfort in it when I was down with a nasty bout of tummy flu. O, the delight of a beautifully illustrated book!

Sid lives in Aristotle Street where neighbors do not talk to each other. He is a black cat that loves to eat. In my condition I could barely eat; thus Sid having six dinners a day was unthinkable but mostly amusing to me. The story follows Sid on his obsession. There are rewa
Lisa Vegan
4 ½ stars – ½ star off for calling Sid’s people his owners. I hate that term as it relates to dogs, cats, and all animals.

But this is a wonderful book. It complately charmed me.

The illustrations are fabulous. I love each painting. I love the colors, style, expressiveness, especially of Sid. I love the page with the 6 different places to be scratched.

The author definitely knows cats. I think all cat lovers will enjoy this book.

I really enjoyed the story of wily Sid. I love the street names Arist
Alex Sarll
There was a spread from this at the British Library's cats exhibition, with a note that 'most of us know a Sid'. Borderline poly-shaming, TBH.
Mathew
Sid spends much of his life on Aristotle street - from number 1 to number 6 to be exact. Living a life of luxury by pretending to belong to each resident. Because these people never talk to each other; sad considering their lane is so sung and close, they aren't aware that this cunning feline is playing them all in order to get a full meal. But Sid works hard for his supper; he's a different cat for each of the residents whether he's hunting mice or playing ball each owner wants something differ ...more
Plch
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I'm reading it every night to my 4 years old son, he has started to anticipate what I'm going to say, he especially likes to list what Sid will eat and wants me to scracth him like Sid's owners scratch the cat :)
Abigail
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat Lovers Young and Old
A clever kitty manages to convince six different humans - all of them neighbors on Aristotle Street - that he is their cat, thereby obtaining six comfortable beds, six different forms of petting (all in pleasurable spots), and best of all - six dinners. Of course, our wily feline has to work hard at being six different kinds of cat, but all goes well until he gets a cold and is taken to the vet - six times! When his game is finally rumbled, and the Aristotle Street neighbors decide that Sid shou ...more
Ami
Feb 21, 2010 added it
Shelves: 2010
A cat named Sid fools six neighbors on one street into thinking that he is their cat, in order to get six dinners. And when he gets a cough, he's taken six times to the vet, who realizes that Sid is only one cat, and tells all of his "owners". They get mad, so Sid moves to a different street, where everyone knows his game, and the last line of the book reads, "...and because everyone knew, nobody minded". I wonder if the author is polyamorous...?

I didn't care for it because I worried that some k
Kacy❁
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK AS A KID. I think about it often, especially when I see stray cats running around. I just found it the other day and still love it.
Tracey Young
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simply the sweetest and funniest little story. This book is about a cat called Sid who has six different owners, therefore he has six dinners each day. None if his owners know about each other until one day they find out. The book has delightful illustrations of Sid's many comic facial expressions. There is a nice little twist at the end has the right blend of cheekiness and morality to appeal to us all. Very clever use of street names where Sid lived, it will be many years before the children a ...more
Beth
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sid was a happy cat receiving 6 dinners a night until, much to his dismay, his cover was blown. Fortunately for Sid, he quickly devised a new plan and was able to resume his comfortable, previous lifestyle.
Sid was a very astute cat and knew how to take care of himself.
This is a great book for cat lovers who can appreciate the 90% intellectual and the 10% calculating ways of our fabulous feline family members.
One of my favorites!
Freddie D
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, cats
A timeless tale about a cheeky and resourceful cat that never fails to disappoint!
Susan Liston
This was a gift. I appreciated it as a person who is daily victimized by a Sid. (who actually just lives next door) In fact I think he's out there right now....(mere Meow Mix is not enough anymore, he likes me to add in some Buddig honey-roast turkey, and will yowl indignantly until I do, sigh. Reminding him that he is NOT MY cat is ineffective.)
Kym
I loved this story! It's great. Great for read aloud, great for counting, great for sneakily sharing the idea that it's best to share information. Nice book to discuss with children secrets, selfishness, what is selfishness?, neighbourhoods, ownership, identity, and rewards/forgoing certain things to gain other things. And it's really funny :-)
Cal
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a cat person, I love this book. I have definitely suspected certain cats in my house of doing this. The illustrations have a lot of character, especially the one with him getting fed medicine over and over and over xD This was a childhood favorite of mine.
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The most lovely book I could imagine, teaching children that loving doesn't mean you own someone.
Owen Townend
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A tale of rampant polyamory and greed. One cat tries to be everything to everyone for the sake of a (very) full stomach. And yet what independent cat hasn't tried something like this?

In all seriousness, this is a sweet little story with some wonderfully emotive illustration. Moore clearly knows how a cat thinks and seems to have been closely observing a particularly cheeky tom's activity. It's an honest tale told wholesomely: one of my favourites back in Infant School. Revisiting it years later,
Julie
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a cat lover, when I saw this on a friend's Goodreads page (thank you, Beth!), I just had to read it. Sadly, my library doesn't own a copy, but interlibrary loan came through. The adorable Sid, a black cat like one of mine, is clever enough to get six dinners each night along Aristotle Street, because each neighbor thinks Sid is theirs and theirs alone. When a smart vet finally figures out what is going on, Sid is busted and has to figure out a new plan to eat, because he is not willing to giv ...more
Katie Mote
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book as a child, seeing the cheekiness of Sid going from house to house and found it very funny. Imagining that the cats I see in real life may have done this too. I think this would be a fun book to read with children, encouraging them to see the human characteristics in Sid and how he lives. Seeing how we as humans are so quick to open up our homes for cats, maybe questioning why we are less quick to open up our homes to other humans?
Eliza J
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny story of a Sid the cat who unbeknown to the residents of Aristotle Street has six different owners who all feed him dinner... Sid clearly has an appetite.

This story is a great one and can be used in many different contexts within the classroom. Great for encouraging some exploratory talk around the themes in the book and even asking children to write letters to Sid asking all the questions they want to ask him! Can they convinve Sid to only have one dinner?
Jenny
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed this wonderfully illustrated, tongue-in-cheek story about a clever cat who calls six homes on his street "home", do yourself a favor and also check out Katie Harnett's Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat, another delightful spin on the same theme. ...more
Keith
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most books for kids this young, an adult can spot the ending from page 1, or at worst page 6. In this case, even though I already knew what it was about—or at least what my preschool teacher friend said it was about—the last page still caught me enough by surprise to elicit a grin.
Zoe Hickey
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story as it has a good moral behind it. Brilliant for year 1 children as it is very engaging.
Ben Ostrowsky
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A cute story about non-monogamy (polyamory? poly...ailury?), both unethical and ethical. Sid has loving relationships with six families and they all meet each other's needs in different ways, but nobody knows about the others. After he's found out, Sid moves to a new neighborhood where he has six different families, but they all know about each other, “and, because everyone knew, nobody minded.”
Lance
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Sid lived in six houses so that he could have six dinners."

Six Dinner Sid was my favourite picture book when I was a child. The author has definitely captured the fundamanetal nature of the cat, unapologetically cheeky, Sid loves affection but he is ultimately out forn himself and his stomach.
A black cat called Sid has hoodwinked six separate residents in a street where no one talks to their neighbours into feeding him as they all believe he belongs to them alone. "And, besides, he liked being
Emelda
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aw, this book was so cute! I just got it on Amazon after reading that it might be a good book for polyamorous families to read to their kids and discuss (and, after reading this, I’d say any family that has more than two parents- step parents, birth parents, etc.)

It’s an adorable picture book about a black cat (also, LOVE! Black cats- and all black animals- are killed at higher rates in shelters, so yay for books starring them!) whose name is Sid. He “scams” 6 different families into giving him
Braiden Boswell
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Book Review of: Six-Dinner Sid
The book is about Sid the cat. Sid the cat is a cat that lives at six different houses.
He likes to live at six houses because he gets six different dinners. And he had to go to the vet not once,but six times.

The book Six-Dinner Sid is a good book for Third grade and under. This book was not one that I would read again. I would give it a two out of five.
Elys
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
'Six Dinner Sid' is a lovely story, great for children in the EYFS, and potentially into Year One as well. Sid is a cat, who likes to eat six dinners a day, so he lives at numbers 1-6 Aristotle Street (unbeknownst to his owners, who, because they don't speak to each other, each think he is theirs exclusively). Sid's life is perfect until he catches a cold and is taken to the vet, who works out Sid's secret, and, ahem, 'lets the cat out of the bag'. Unhappy with his new ration of one dinner a day ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Peace At Last
  • Stick Man
  • Tuesday
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Inga Moore is a distinguished author and illustrator of children’s books whose illustrated titles include acclaimed versions of THE SECRET GARDEN and THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS. She lives in England.

Six Dinner Sid (2 books)