Start by marking “Six-Dinner Sid” as Want to Read:
Six-Dinner Sid

Six-Dinner Sid

(Six Dinner Sid #1)

Unbeknownst to each of his owners, Sid the cat lives with six different people on the same street. By doing so, he's able to get six different dinners every night! He also answers to six names, sleeps in six beds, and maintains six different personalities.
All is perfect for Sid - until the day he catches a dreadful cough. Then it is off to the vet not once, but six times!
Published April 1st 1993 by Aladdin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Six-Dinner Sid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six-Dinner Sid

Lisa Vegan
4 stars – star off for calling Sid’s people his owners. I hate that term as it relates to dogs, cats, and all animals.

But this is a wonderful book. It complately charmed me.

The illustrations are fabulous. I love each painting. I love the colors, style, expressiveness, especially of Sid. I love the page with the 6 different places to be scratched.

The author definitely knows cats. I think all cat lovers will enjoy this book.

I really enjoyed the story of wily Sid. I love the street names Aristot
Alex Sarll
There was a spread from this at the British Library's cats exhibition, with a note that 'most of us know a Sid'. Borderline poly-shaming, TBH.
Mathew
Sid spends much of his life on Aristotle street - from number 1 to number 6 to be exact. Living a life of luxury by pretending to belong to each resident. Because these people never talk to each other; sad considering their lane is so sung and close, they aren't aware that this cunning feline is playing them all in order to get a full meal. But Sid works hard for his supper; he's a different cat for each of the residents whether he's hunting mice or playing ball each owner wants something differ ...more
Kacy❁
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK AS A KID. I think about it often, especially when I see stray cats running around. I just found it the other day and still love it.
Ami
Feb 21, 2010 added it
Shelves: 2010
A cat named Sid fools six neighbors on one street into thinking that he is their cat, in order to get six dinners. And when he gets a cough, he's taken six times to the vet, who realizes that Sid is only one cat, and tells all of his "owners". They get mad, so Sid moves to a different street, where everyone knows his game, and the last line of the book reads, "...and because everyone knew, nobody minded". I wonder if the author is polyamorous...?

I didn't care for it because I worried that some k
Plch
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I'm reading it every night to my 4 years old son, he has started to anticipate what I'm going to say, he especially likes to list what Sid will eat and want me to scracth him like Sid's owners scratch the cat :)
Tracey Young
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simply the sweetest and funniest little story. This book is about a cat called Sid who has six different owners, therefore he has six dinners each day. None if his owners know about each other until one day they find out. The book has delightful illustrations of Sid's many comic facial expressions. There is a nice little twist at the end has the right blend of cheekiness and morality to appeal to us all. Very clever use of street names where Sid lived, it will be many years before the children a ...more
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The most lovely book I could imagine, teaching children that loving doesn't mean you own someone.
Kym
I loved this story! It's great. Great for read aloud, great for counting, great for sneakily sharing the idea that it's best to share information. Nice book to discuss with children secrets, selfishness, what is selfishness?, neighbourhoods, ownership, identity, and rewards/forgoing certain things to gain other things. And it's really funny :-)
Keith
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most books for kids this young, an adult can spot the ending from page 1, or at worst page 6. In this case, even though I already knew what it was about—or at least what my preschool teacher friend said it was about—the last page still caught me enough by surprise to elicit a grin.
Zoe Hickey
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story as it has a good moral behind it. Brilliant for year 1 children as it is very engaging.
Lance
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Sid lived in six houses so that he could have six dinners."

Six Dinner Sid was my favourite picture book when I was a child. The author has definitely captured the fundamanetal nature of the cat, unapologetically cheeky, Sid loves affection but he is ultimately out forn himself and his stomach.
A black cat called Sid has hoodwinked six separate residents in a street where no one talks to their neighbours into feeding him as they all believe he belongs to them alone. "And, besides, he liked being
Emelda
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aw, this book was so cute! I just got it on Amazon after reading that it might be a good book for polyamorous families to read to their kids and discuss (and, after reading this, I’d say any family that has more than two parents- step parents, birth parents, etc.)

It’s an adorable picture book about a black cat (also, LOVE! Black cats- and all black animals- are killed at higher rates in shelters, so yay for books starring them!) whose name is Sid. He “scams” 6 different families into giving him
Braiden Boswell
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Book Review of: Six-Dinner Sid
The book is about Sid the cat. Sid the cat is a cat that lives at six different houses.
He likes to live at six houses because he gets six different dinners. And he had to go to the vet not once,but six times.

The book Six-Dinner Sid is a good book for Third grade and under. This book was not one that I would read again. I would give it a two out of five.
Elys
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
'Six Dinner Sid' is a lovely story, great for children in the EYFS, and potentially into Year One as well. Sid is a cat, who likes to eat six dinners a day, so he lives at numbers 1-6 Aristotle Street (unbeknownst to his owners, who, because they don't speak to each other, each think he is theirs exclusively). Sid's life is perfect until he catches a cold and is taken to the vet, who works out Sid's secret, and, ahem, 'lets the cat out of the bag'. Unhappy with his new ration of one dinner a day ...more
Meg McGregor
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sid is one very clever cat! He eats six meals a day, thanks to all the people who live on Aristotle Street!

Now, how can people who live on the same block not know they are feeding the same cat? Easy - no communication.

But I can't blame them. I have lived on the same block for twenty years. After meeting my first neighbor, who is the embodiment of Satan herself, I stopped trying to be friendly.

I do have a couple of people I talk to on the street but not many. The area I live in has a very high t
Aidan Till
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Book Review of: Six-Dinner Sid
This book is about how Sid would go from house to house and eat six dinner.
Another thing is Sid would work really hard to get his six dinners.Also the neighbors don't talk to each other.
Six-Dinner Sid is is a good book.If I rated this book from 1-10 I would give it an 8.There is a lot of detail in this book,but it does have some bad grammar in part of the book.I would recommend this book to my little brother and sister.That is what I think of the book.
Zurks
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this and wish I had children to read with.

The pictures and story were engaging, Sid makes a cute cat, and there were lessons behind the story, eg. the moral of honesty, an insight into different household compositions, and community values. Short, sweet and entertaining. Plus, I like cats.
Kathleen Dixon
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
I have a friend who shares a cat with a group of neighbours, so this book totally rang true. Sid is wonderful, the illustrations are excellent, and the text is just right. Both I and the kids loved it.
Cal
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a cat person, I love this book. I have definitely suspected certain cats in my house of doing this. The illustrations have a lot of character, especially the one with him getting fed medicine over and over and over xD This was a childhood favorite of mine.
Rob
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a creative and fantastic kid's book. Especially that ending. ("Everyone knew, so nobody cared.")
Kathryn
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Sid is such a smart kitty living in a neighborhood where each house thinks they own him, so he gets six times of everything. Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur...
LauraW
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
Of course, I am a cat-lover, so what do you expect.
Amanda
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love this; think our one cat would do this if he could get away with it.
Sonia
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
well loved in our family. especially the subtle wit of the illustrations showing Sid`s changing moods. ...more
Samantha
Story - 4
Illustrations - 3.5
Writing Style - 3
Overall - 3.5

A book about a beautiful cat called Sid who heads into more than one house in order to eat multiple dinners. I don't blame him - who doesn't want to get as much food as they can.
A really lovely story that just makes me smile.
Opportunities to become Sid and write a diary of your adventures into the different houses and map work - mark where Sid went in the day.
Isobel Smith
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The message of the story teaches children about the importance of communication with people ; sharing problems or concerns and it also teaches them about not being greedy.

I would recommend this book as an English class read. The adult can help the children to understand the importance of not being greedy and the children could use Inga Moore’s fascinating but simple plot to come up with their own story of a greedy animal living on a named street.
Anthony
Sid the cat lived at #1 Aristotle Street, and #2,#3,#4, #5, and #6 also, but since the neighbors didn't speak to one another Sid had a good thing going when it came to dinner, but six trips to the same vet blew his cover, and he needed another plan to continue getting his six dinners. Quick thinking Sid solved his problem.
Katy
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book predates Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat, which seems to be quite a carbon copy but the ending in Archie is considerably better.
Imogen T
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks1
As a reluctant reader as a child, I was drawn to this story as a cat lover. This story offers many opportunities for talk for learning and drama scenarios. For this reason, I would use it with both Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Duck for Turkey Day
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • The Grannyman
  • Cat Heaven
Inga Moore is a distinguished author and illustrator of children’s books whose illustrated titles include acclaimed versions of THE SECRET GARDEN and THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS. She lives in England.

Six Dinner Sid (2 books)