Jump to ratings and reviews

Six Dinner Sid #1

Six-Dinner Sid

One sly cat plays the pet of six different owners so that he can get six dinners every night.

Sid the cat lives at number one Aristotle Street. He also lives at number two, number three, number four, number five, and number six.

Since the neighbors on Aristotle street don’t talk to each other, no one realizes that Sid gets six dinners each night. But when Sid gets a cold, being six people’s pet might be more than he bargained for.

32 pages, Paperback

First published May 1, 1991

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Inga Moore

71 books45 followers
Inga Moore is a distinguished author and illustrator of children’s books whose illustrated titles include acclaimed versions of THE SECRET GARDEN and THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS. She lives in England.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
30 (1%)
1 star
11 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 203 reviews
Profile Image for Cecily.
1,094 reviews3,836 followers
September 8, 2019
A true story of six cats and more than six dinners.

Sitty

Once upon a time, more than 20 years ago, my toddler introduced an imaginary friend: a cat called Sitty. She was a member of our family and our storytelling for several years - except one afternoon, when apparently she said she didn’t want to be my child’s friend any more! They made it up.

Image: Small child’s drawing of cat, similar to one my toddler drew (Source.)

Sitty had a strong personality and presence (like my child), and I sometimes found tins of real cat food in my supermarket trolley.

Sid

During Sitty’s time with us, we discovered Sid, and this book quickly became a favourite. We now had two fictional cats, being overfed.

Sid divides his time between six houses in Aristotle Street: six names, six personalities, and six dinners.

Because the residents don’t talk to each other, they don’t realise. But when they do find out, they’re furious. So Sid moves to Pythagoras Place, where people chat with their neighbours, so they know he’s a six-dinner cat,
And, because everyone knew, nobody minded.

Shia LaFluff

Years later, when my cat-loving child moved to a shared house with uni friends, a cat they dubbed Shia LaFluff often came in through the window. Wary of creating a Sid situation, they offered cuddles, play, and water, but never food.

Noodles

Three years later, in a different house, they were finally able to have their own cat, or rather, the cat has them. There isn’t a catflap, and is near a main road, so they chose a housecat. No chance of a Sid setup with Noodles.

Pippa and Katie Cat

And now, my father has died, and his widower returned to the land of his birth, leaving Pippa and Katie Cat needing a new home. Neighbours were popping in daily, but the cats were spending more time away from home, probably seeking human company.

We found friends who might offer the cats a new home, and took them round at time the cats were normally home. We knew Pippa had not been seen for a few days, but food was going, and Katie presumably wasn’t eating all of it.

We couldn’t find Pippa anywhere in or out, but Katie took an instant liking to her potential new humans, and they to her. She went home with them and settled very contentedly, immediately.

We left food for Pippa, with a note that if anyone caught her in the house, to lock the catflap and phone us, and we put posters on a few lampposts. A couple of days later, we had a call to collect her.

We took Pippa to be reunited with her sister, less than 72 hours after Katie had arrived there. What joy?

Sadly not. They were not pleased to see each other, nor even indifferent. They did everything short of fighting: snarling, wailing, pawing, and hiding to show their displeasure, discomfort, and distress. Fortunately, their new humans have had cats before, and over a couple of days, calmed, petted, and reassured each. Pippa and Katie are back to sharing a feeding bowl, and each has found her favourite spots in their new home. I’m sure they’ll live happily ever after.

Moral

Talk to your neighbours. Help each other out. Honesty is important.

Irony

My father was a vociferous atheist, but the cats’ new humans believe the coGod-incidence of my husband mentioning Pippa and Katie when they’d privately decided to home cats again was a Sign. My father would be very amused - and happy for them all.

Confession

I’ve never lived with a cat because I’m allergic.
Profile Image for Jan-Maat.
1,525 reviews1,771 followers
August 23, 2019
A sly commentary on the atomisation and breakdown of traditional social cohesion in urban communities that possibly also contrasts Aristotle and Pythagoras as philosophical and social role models in the form of a children's picture book.

The silo mentality of the inhabitants of Aristotle street is exploited by the eponymous cat to score six dinners every day - at some psychic cost as he must remember six distinct names and identities, but the illustrations show him becoming pleasingly plump at the end of the day so the stress of performing the different roles required of him does not seem too overwhelming but perhaps that stress does precipitate the cough that exposes the dangers of the Aristotelian approach to life and brings to an end one phase of Sid's heroic life, dedicated to the pursuit of life, liberty and six dinners a day and the rejection of the bourgeois anthropocentrism of the Aristotelians.

My niece was unimpressed by the six dinners and would interject "and seven, and seven" which struck me since she can't count yet. I did wonder 'and why not seven', is there a secret numerological significance to the story - perhaps many further readings are required. My niece was also much taken with the spoonful of medicine - perhaps this gave her flashbacks to her own earlier addiction to Calpol ?
Profile Image for Lori.
353 reviews418 followers
November 4, 2019
Thanks to an inviting review from my GR friend Laysee, who was buoyed by Sid when she was feeling ill, I helped myself to Sid and his six dinners and saved him for a proverbial rainy day. I'm glad I did; this clever cutie has me smiling and I know he will again and again.

Six-dinner Sid lives on Aristotle Street, whose residents pay no attention to one another. So each day Sid sashays from house to house eating six different dinners, sleeping in six different beds, being scratched in six different places. Until...busted! Count on Sid to find a solution that satisfies his supersized appetite for food and love.
The illustrations are lovely, as sweet as the story which also makes a point, gently. Sid will charm all cat lovers and some lesser beings. Children will delight in Sid, little ones as well as the children that live on always in our adult selves.
Profile Image for Laysee.
486 reviews214 followers
October 17, 2019
A friend made me a gift of this book when she learned how much I loved a YouTube reading of this story. I sought comfort in it when I was down with a nasty bout of tummy flu. O, the delight of a beautifully illustrated book!

Sid lives in Aristotle Street where neighbors do not talk to each other. He is a black cat that loves to eat. In my condition I could barely eat; thus Sid having six dinners a day was unthinkable but mostly amusing to me. The story follows Sid on his obsession. There are rewards and, of course, challenges to be expected from belonging to six different owners. And when Sid’s clever plan to secure six dinners a day falls through, he is unperturbed. Because cat lovers are ever willing to share dinner with a handsome black cat. He just needs to find the right neighborhood.

Last thought. How does a cat that eats six dinners a day stay so slim?
Profile Image for Julie.
1,860 reviews38 followers
April 7, 2022
We lived on Pleasant Street and this happened to us! We started feeding what we thought was a stray cat. She was pretty plump and we thought she might be pregnant, so we took her to the vet to get her checked out and discovered she had already been spayed, had an official owner and another 'adopted' family besides us! We all had a good laugh about it!

So, I was drawn to read this book based on our own experience. Six Dinner Sid is a fun book about a cat who charms his way through six families on one street before moving along to another street and beginning all over again. They say 'variety is the spice of life' and Sid certainly enjoyed a wide variety of food and friends.
Profile Image for Lisa Vegan.
2,734 reviews1,199 followers
March 13, 2013
4 ½ stars – ½ star off for calling Sid’s people his owners. I hate that term as it relates to dogs, cats, and all animals.

But this is a wonderful book. It complately charmed me.

The illustrations are fabulous. I love each painting. I love the colors, style, expressiveness, especially of Sid. I love the page with the 6 different places to be scratched.

The author definitely knows cats. I think all cat lovers will enjoy this book.

I really enjoyed the story of wily Sid. I love the street names Aristotle Street and Pythagoras Place. I did feel a bit sorry for the residents of the former street and cheered for the second group of people. I grinned and chuckled all the way through this book. Who hasn’t known a cat like Sid?! Maybe not any quite as smart and persistent, but certainly one (or many!) who made sure to have more than one human/group of humans catering to their needs.

This story says some things about neighbors’ friendliness or lack thereof, and of how each benefit comes with a price (dinners & attention vs. vet visits & cough medicine), and how smart cats can be and what good companions they can be.

Lovely story, lovely illustrations, and a memorable book.
Profile Image for Alex Sarll.
5,608 reviews223 followers
January 17, 2019
There was a spread from this at the British Library's cats exhibition, with a note that 'most of us know a Sid'. Borderline poly-shaming, TBH.
Profile Image for Mathew.
1,462 reviews170 followers
November 20, 2018
Sid spends much of his life on Aristotle street - from number 1 to number 6 to be exact. Living a life of luxury by pretending to belong to each resident. Because these people never talk to each other; sad considering their lane is so sung and close, they aren't aware that this cunning feline is playing them all in order to get a full meal. But Sid works hard for his supper; he's a different cat for each of the residents whether he's hunting mice or playing ball each owner wants something different from him. Then there comes a day when one event brights to light the cunning trick that Sid has been playing.
What does Sid do when they refuse to give him as many meals? Does he apologise? No, of course not, he's a cat. He finds somewhere else - Pythagoras' place to be exact. The street might seem broader, less quaint but the residents are friendly, all know each other and welcome Sid and his dietary requirements with open arms. Sid can just be Sid and everyone's happy with it
This is a story about a wily cat but it is also, chiefly, a commentary on people and community. Pythagoras was in a constant search for harmony (in the spheres) and Aristotle, his disciple, was a more rational thinker who fathered social contract theory in which we sacrifice some freedoms in order to live in harmony...I'm digging too deep aren't I.
Profile Image for Plch.
60 reviews89 followers
September 13, 2019
I'm reading it every night to my 4 years old son, he has started to anticipate what I'm going to say, he especially likes to list what Sid will eat and wants me to scracth him like Sid's owners scratch the cat :)
Profile Image for Abigail.
7,083 reviews173 followers
January 20, 2020
A clever kitty manages to convince six different humans - all of them neighbors on Aristotle Street - that he is their cat, thereby obtaining six comfortable beds, six different forms of petting (all in pleasurable spots), and best of all - six dinners. Of course, our wily feline has to work hard at being six different kinds of cat, but all goes well until he gets a cold and is taken to the vet - six times! When his game is finally rumbled, and the Aristotle Street neighbors decide that Sid should be limited to one dinner(!), our redoubtable hero acts quickly, moving to Pythagoras Place, where he gets up to his old tricks. This time however, Six-Dinner Sid's humans are very much aware of his predilection for roaming, and take it in stride.

This adorable book had me chuckling on my morning commute. It is clear that Inga Moore knows cats, as her humorous story and lovely artwork both capture that essential feline charm. What cat wouldn't like to eat six dinners - judging from the cat companions I have ever known over the years, none - or to have six adoring humans waiting upon him? The illustrations are every bit as engaging as the story: expressive, humorous, and heartwarming. I particularly liked Sid's expressions of pleasure, as his six owners pet and scratch him; and his disgruntlement, as he is given six doses of medicine. Six-Dinner Sid is just a wonderful picture-book, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to cat lovers young and old. I'll have to see if I can track down the sequel, Six Dinner Sid: A Highland Adventure .
Profile Image for Melki.
5,579 reviews2,308 followers
July 22, 2021
Enjoy the highly entertaining tale of Sid, a clever cat who pretends to belong to six different owners in order to mooch six different dinners a day from the gullible humans. It's fun to see how he pulls it off. With wonderful illustrations by the author.

description
Profile Image for Ami.
426 reviews12 followers
February 21, 2010
A cat named Sid fools six neighbors on one street into thinking that he is their cat, in order to get six dinners. And when he gets a cough, he's taken six times to the vet, who realizes that Sid is only one cat, and tells all of his "owners". They get mad, so Sid moves to a different street, where everyone knows his game, and the last line of the book reads, "...and because everyone knew, nobody minded". I wonder if the author is polyamorous...?

I didn't care for it because I worried that some kid hearing it would try to act it out and make some poor cat very sick. Worried eyebrows! Bean sort of has a review of his own: he climbed on my lap at the "Sid gets six dinners" part and jumped off when we got to the "Sid goes to the vet six times" part. He just can't stand for that sort of thing. Lastly, my godson, the main person to whom I was reading, didn't seem to be particularly interested in the book. He looks to be about 1 1/2 stars into it, if I had to guess. A "meh" kind of book, except for that last line! I do like honesty.
Profile Image for Kacy❁.
347 reviews43 followers
January 7, 2018
I LOVED THIS BOOK AS A KID. I think about it often, especially when I see stray cats running around. I just found it the other day and still love it.
Profile Image for Caro.
152 reviews1 follower
February 14, 2022
Cute cute Sid. I bought this super short graphic book for a nice 1.11 USD in Kindle. Fluffy drawings, I just have the feeling Sid is based on a real life cat. UwU, love cattos!
18 reviews
May 3, 2012
Simply the sweetest and funniest little story. This book is about a cat called Sid who has six different owners, therefore he has six dinners each day. None if his owners know about each other until one day they find out. The book has delightful illustrations of Sid's many comic facial expressions. There is a nice little twist at the end has the right blend of cheekiness and morality to appeal to us all. Very clever use of street names where Sid lived, it will be many years before the children appreciate them but it made the adults smile. This is a nice book to read and could be a good book in literacy. It would be a good book to use with comprehension questions, you could get the children thinking about, where did Sid first?, what did he eat?, how do you think he felt? You should definitely get a copy for yourself and anyone else with a young family and a sense of humour.
Profile Image for Beth.
553 reviews
December 13, 2019
Sid was a happy cat receiving 6 dinners a night until, much to his dismay, his cover was blown. Fortunately for Sid, he quickly devised a new plan and was able to resume his comfortable, previous lifestyle.
Sid was a very astute cat and knew how to take care of himself.
This is a great book for cat lovers who can appreciate the 90% intellectual and the 10% calculating ways of our fabulous feline family members.
One of my favorites!
Profile Image for Sharon.
Author 38 books371 followers
February 17, 2022
I read this charming book while waiting at our vet's office. The titular Sid visits six different homes on his street, and each family thinks they are the only ones feeding him ... until he gets a cough. Pretty soon, all of the families know what Sid is up to.

The illustrations were adorable, and the story about kind people looking after their community cat made me smile.
Profile Image for Susan Liston.
1,271 reviews36 followers
October 26, 2019
This was a gift. I appreciated it as a person who is daily victimized by a Sid. (who actually just lives next door) In fact I think he's out there right now....(mere Meow Mix is not enough anymore, he likes me to add in some Buddig honey-roast turkey, and will yowl indignantly until I do, sigh. Reminding him that he is NOT MY cat is ineffective.)
Profile Image for Kym.
41 reviews3 followers
October 29, 2018
I loved this story! It's great. Great for read aloud, great for counting, great for sneakily sharing the idea that it's best to share information. Nice book to discuss with children secrets, selfishness, what is selfishness?, neighbourhoods, ownership, identity, and rewards/forgoing certain things to gain other things. And it's really funny :-)
Profile Image for Cal.
297 reviews9 followers
July 27, 2011
As a cat person, I love this book. I have definitely suspected certain cats in my house of doing this. The illustrations have a lot of character, especially the one with him getting fed medicine over and over and over xD This was a childhood favorite of mine.
Profile Image for Laura.
12 reviews2 followers
April 1, 2010
The most lovely book I could imagine, teaching children that loving doesn't mean you own someone.
Profile Image for Owen Townend.
Author 5 books3 followers
January 29, 2020
A tale of rampant polyamory and greed. One cat tries to be everything to everyone for the sake of a (very) full stomach. And yet what independent cat hasn't tried something like this?

In all seriousness, this is a sweet little story with some wonderfully emotive illustration. Moore clearly knows how a cat thinks and seems to have been closely observing a particularly cheeky tom's activity. It's an honest tale told wholesomely: one of my favourites back in Infant School. Revisiting it years later, I can still see why. Still, from my now adult perspective, I feel it was a gutsy move to see Sid move on without proper reprisal.

I recommend Six-Dinner Sid to cat lovers and their kids, curious about where kitty goes when he wanders off...
Profile Image for Julie.
1,076 reviews
December 21, 2019
As a cat lover, when I saw this on a friend's Goodreads page (thank you, Beth!), I just had to read it. Sadly, my library doesn't own a copy, but interlibrary loan came through. The adorable Sid, a black cat like one of mine, is clever enough to get six dinners each night along Aristotle Street, because each neighbor thinks Sid is theirs and theirs alone. When a smart vet finally figures out what is going on, Sid is busted and has to figure out a new plan to eat, because he is not willing to give up his six dinners. Fortunately, with all the sly wisdom that felines possess, he is able to do so easily. Fun, cute, and ingenious in demonstrating the resourcefulness of cats.
Profile Image for Bernie4444.
1,272 reviews7 followers
December 28, 2022
We have a Sid, actually a Cyd as in “Cyd Charisse" on our street.

This is a cute book and is impossible to resist. Inga Moore must be a cat owner. The book is fun to read and the color sketches are priceless.

Cyd alias Scaramouch, Bob, Mischief, Sally, Sooty, and Schwartz has a system going for herself until she gets caught, and a suspicious vet turns her in.

I like the picture of Sid in a cardboard box as we have to order coffee to get just the correct size box for Cyd where her head can rest on the edge when she squeezes in.
Profile Image for Katie Mote.
70 reviews1 follower
October 3, 2019
I loved this book as a child, seeing the cheekiness of Sid going from house to house and found it very funny. Imagining that the cats I see in real life may have done this too. I think this would be a fun book to read with children, encouraging them to see the human characteristics in Sid and how he lives. Seeing how we as humans are so quick to open up our homes for cats, maybe questioning why we are less quick to open up our homes to other humans?
34 reviews2 followers
November 14, 2019
This is a funny story of a Sid the cat who unbeknown to the residents of Aristotle Street has six different owners who all feed him dinner... Sid clearly has an appetite.

This story is a great one and can be used in many different contexts within the classroom. Great for encouraging some exploratory talk around the themes in the book and even asking children to write letters to Sid asking all the questions they want to ask him! Can they convinve Sid to only have one dinner?
Profile Image for Hannah Rae.
Author 3 books113 followers
December 30, 2020
Truth: I am biased in my opinion of this book due to the fact that I have a black domestic shorthair named Sid. That being said, this was a really cute read. I have to admit that I was SO WORRIED when all six of Sid’s owners took him to the vet and were going to be giving him medicine every day. That could have caused a serious overdose. Fortunately, the neighborhood veterinarian was an observant guy and he stepped in before something really bad happened.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 203 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.