Start by marking “Martha Walks the Dog” as Want to Read:
Martha Walks the Dog

Martha Walks the Dog

(Martha Speaks)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Martha loves her daily walks. She enjoys sniffing and scratching with her pals down by the hydrant. But today something is different. A house down the street has been sold, the for sale sign replaced by a new sign - Beware of Dog! Always curious, Martha investigates and discovers that there's a new dog in town, a blustering tough-dog named Bob. He's big and mean, and even ...more
Published September 29th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Martha Walks the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martha Walks the Dog

Luisa Knight
Ages: 4 - 8

Cleanliness: Name calling "birdbrain," "big bully," "ruffian," "thug," "meanie."

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
Heidi
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Summary: Martha loves her daily walks with her fellow dog friends. But now, there's a new dog in town and he's big and mean. Martha knows that Bob, the big mean dog, is a bad dog. One day, Martha tries to talk to Bob, but she soon found out that he doesn't like to talk. Bob chased her around until something suddenly made him change his ways. In the end, Martha and Bob become friends.

Reading Level: 1st- 3rd Grade

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: Bullying, Friendship & Dogs

Use: Read Aloud & Indepe
Shaundell
Martha, a talking dog, takes her daily walk around the neighborhood. One day she notices that a "For Sale" sign in a yard has been replaced with "Sold." Bob, the dog who lives at the new house, is just as ferocious as his owner. Martha learns an important lesson, just like we all need to at some point in time, that nice words have a far better effect on others than mean ones.

Love the Martha series! Susan Meddaugh is a creative woman! :)
Fjóla
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was okay, but my son was really startled by the mean dog, when we turned to the page where the dog's leash had come off he literally froze. The second time we read it he asked me to skip the pages with the barking dog, and after that he didn't want to have anything more to do with the book, anyway. I thought it was kind of harmless, because all is well in the end, but I guess he's just really sensitive ...
Melanie
Of course Martha the dog can speak! She ate alphabet soup one day and it went to her head instead of her stomach. Ever since she's been a very well-spoken canine. One day she encounters a very angry mutt who is only yelled at by his owner. She is amazed when the parrot she has been friendly with calms the dog down with phrases taught to her by Martha. Sometimes a kind word is all it takes.
Apr 09, 2012 added it
Shelves: edsl-520
Meddaugh, Susan. Martha Walks the Dog. (1998)

Annotation: Martha has a new neighbor dog who is not very nice. When Martha goes to confront the dog, she get more than she bargained for.

Theme:dogs, bullies

Way to use with children: You can talk to your class about bullies and why bullies might act the way they do or how they can help bullies in a positive way

Recommended ages:4- 10
Courtney
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pet-friendly
As I stated before, I love books dealing with dogs. I use to always watch this t.v. show "Martha Speaks" so I was glad to find one of her books. This is good book to read to children when dealing aggressive people or bullies. It shows you how to not back down and stand your ground. Enjoyed it a lot!!
Edward Creter
Martha is a brave dog but it all changes when Bob, a biggger dog, bullies the town by way of a meanie owner. Can M. get a simple parrot to talk Bob down to a normal level? Wonderful stuff, and this time the lesson of forgiveness and doing what's right despite the consequences is not heavy ahnded as with some other authors.
The Brothers
Martha (of the Martha Speaks fame) takes herself out for walks every day. There's a new mean, bully of a dog in the neighborhood and Martha learns how a kind word can often be more effective than shouting abuse at someone.

Nice illustrations.
Jennifer Heise
Nice reminder that we get back what we send out, and if we change how we interact with others, they may change too.
I got this (in a collection) from the library for my 5 year old after he had played the Martha Speaks games on PBSkids.org and watched a few Martha Speaks videos. He enjoyed them.
L campagnola
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Requested a lot. We love Martha the talking dog.
Piper
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really like this show on PBS, and I was so excited to find these books at the library! I call them "Marfa Peaks," and Mama knows what I mean.
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you like Martha stories, this one is a cutie
Red
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Child-geared book with an underlying message that positivity breeds cooperation faster (and more effectively) than negativity.
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Martha walking the new dog that her caretakers got.
M. Reedz
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
It was a very good book. Martha talks and she says true things.
Sara Lemonade
Sep 26, 2018
rainier
Feb 03, 2012
AnnMarie Marranzini
rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2018
Courtney Vick
Aug 17, 2011
Brenda
Aug 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Susan Meddaugh was born and raised in Montclair, New Jersey. She graduated from Wheaton College, where she studied French literature and fine arts. After working briefly with an advertising agency in New York, she moved to Boston and worked at a publishing company for ten years, first as a designer, then art editor, and finally as art director. While there, she did the illustrations for GOOD STONE ...more

Martha Speaks (6 books)