Start by marking “The Search” as Want to Read:
The Search

The Search

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  49,230 ratings  ·  2,804 reviews
To most people, Fiona Bristow seems to have an idyllic life: a quaint house on an island off Seattle's coast, a thriving dog-training school, and a challenging volunteer job performing canine search and rescue. Not to mention her three intensely loyal Labs. But Fiona got to this point by surviving a nightmare.

Several years ago, she was the only survivor of a serial killer
Hardcover, First Edition, 488 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Search, please sign up.
Josie Cline Happily ever after but not as you would think? the dogs are fine they are not seriously injured
Sofia No, it is one of Nora Roberts' independent books.
Although it would be better if there was a sequel...…more
No, it is one of Nora Roberts' independent books.
Although it would be better if there was a sequel...(less)

·  49,230 ratings  ·  2,804 reviews

Start your review of The Search
Corina
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Search is still my all-time favorite novel by this author. I read it at least once a year. And if you are a dog lover – this is a BOOK I would recommend you to read!!

I should start by mentioning that I always wanted a dog, but unfortunately it hasn’t happened yet. But every time I read this book, my desire of wanting a dog goes through the roof. Just be warned – lol!

Fiona Bristow, dog trainer extraordinaire, who survived a kidnapping years ago, finally lives a peaceful and content life on Or
Alp
WOW. This is one of the BEST romantic suspense stories I’ve read this year!

I can always count on Nora Roberts to deliver an engrossing and thrilling read. In spite of my high expectations, the author still knocked me off my feet and surprised me with this brilliant story. The Search is a very well-written story with the perfect mixture of breathtaking romance and heart-pounding suspense.

I don’t want to spoil any plot details so I will try to keep this as short as possible.

After losing her fianc
Jilly
You get to see photos of my doggos. They are the most awesome dogs ever. All other dogs should be ashamed and bow in their presence.

Okay, maybe they aren't exactly boundless balls of energy anymore, but this works for my book-reading lifestyle.

This is Sunny:

This is Cocoa:

This is Tinkerbelle:

This book was made for dog-lovers. Our heroine is Fiona, a dog-trainer with three Labs who are almost as awesome as my dogs. Almost. So, we get lots of dog-training advice, along with funny doggy personalitie
Vicki
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read the Search by Nora Roberts and this is one intense read. The characters Fiona Bristow and Simon Doyle are hilarious which helps during the tense scary parts.

Fiona is a dog trainer and works on the search and rescue canine team. Her dogs are brilliant and when Simon comes over with his unruly, ill mannered dog.

Simon is about ready to wash his hands of him until Fiona helps him teach Jaws to be a smart puppy.
It was so nice to see the dogs being trained over and above the typical obedienc
Pamela
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
If you have a dog and want to train him/her then by all means pick up this book as this reads more like a "how to" guide. I like dogs but this was overkill. Seriously, page after page on how to train your dog and what's involved in search and rescue missions.

She gets a point for starting off the book really well but that's about it. There was no suspense and the killer storyline could have been so, so much better.

What I found to be unbelievable was the romance between Fiona and Simon. Nothing a
♡Karlyn P♡
Cyndi
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
My favorite characters in this book had four legs. Don't get me wrong, Fiona and Simon were great. But Newman, Peck, Bogart and little Jaws stole the show.
Fiona survived a serial killer. Now she lives on an island where she trains dogs (or as anyone who has ever trained a dog knows, trains the dog's human) Fiona also heads up a search and rescue team with the dogs. The whole thing is amazing!!
Simon is a wood carver and carpenter. He is a kind of temperamental artist and has no intention of f
⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
5 Stars!!

In my top 3 reads from Nora, LOVED everything about this book!!

photo brilliant_zpsfvacnai6.gif
Phrynne
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read Nora Roberts's books when I want to be entertained and this one certainly fit the bill! I must admit a lot of time was spent on talking about training dogs but as someone who likes dogs I found it interesting and informative.
As usual there was a feisty heroine and a hunky hero who are obviously destined to be together but that's what a romance is all about. These two were pretty funny as well which helped keep me involved. There was also some murder, mystery and danger along the way which
Jessi
I've been getting a little worried because the past couple of Nora Roberts books haven't really tripped my trigger. But this one... was awesome.
Fiona Bristow was kidnapped almost ten years ago, the only survivor of a serial killer who would find single, athletic women, kill them and then bury them in a shallow grave in a national park. After Fiona managed to escape, the killer went back and killed her boyfriend and his K9 unit. In his memory, Fiona opened up a dog training school which does eve
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: NC-17
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: Fun and Different
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Just when you thought you were safe…
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Simon

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
I really liked this one a lot. I thought it was different in a way I don’t see often. The characters weren’t cookie cutter. There was fun banter that made me laugh. I just love how the dogs were woven into the story. I liked this one a lot.

For a full r
Mada Linx
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Wow. What a pleasant surprise this book was.

I enjoy it enormously.

The MC's were awesome and so were the side characters. Each and everyone of the characters had personality, which in my opinion, is a great thing as many writers fail to do that.

I liked the third person narration, and none of the chapters were boring.

The fact that there was no insta-love, but a slowly built attraction, respect and love, is a massive lesson for those who forget that looks ain't everything.

I'm so happy th
Karla
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3 Stars!! I'm still "SEARCHING" for the excitement!

Okay, so the book had it's moments, but I really expected more in the way of a thrilling read. I did like the two main characters, Fiona and Simon. Fiona was easy going, funny and a dog trainer extraordinaire! Simon was gruff, demanding, pushy...but it added to his appeal and they played well off of each other. I enjoyed the dog training aspect of the book, I love dogs, but when a book is titled The Search and the underlying plot is about a seri
Mei
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Another typical NR! :)
Even if I liked the MCs very much, I just loved the dog-training parts and everything that had to do with dogs here! It was just perfect!!!
Also was inetersting to read the crazy parts from the killer's POV! A really sick man!!
Well worth reading!
Lena
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Fifth time reading, first time audio.
First time the ending dragged for me.
But still a favorite.

Fourth Time - I've read this and it still manages to give me a mental vacation. Yes it's romantic suspense but it's also dogs and the magic that is Orcas Island. I have to see this gem soon. This is my favorite Nora Roberts.

Third time - read after adopting a new family member from the Animal Defense League. Dogs are love, furry unconditional love.

*audible note - the narrator had a great pace but she wa
Lynne
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My first Nora Roberts.... I loved it! Fiona is a great lead.
Jonetta
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the reviews here are brutal, which is a mystery to me. I happen to love dogs but didn't think that was at the basis of my interest of a story about a woman dog trainer. Fiona Bristow is a survivor who has recreated herself following pretty tragic circumstances. She relocated herself to Orcas Island in Puget Sound and is devoting her life to dog obedience training and as a volunteer with the Canine Search and Rescue. Fiona also trains dogs for search and rescue.

Enter Simon, a wood artist
Vicki
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books, novels
Nobody reads Nora Roberts for shocking and unexpected plots – she basically has a handful of types of books and just rewrites them over and over. The Search falls into Category 2: woman with traumatic past has overcome it to become completely self-sufficient and a little bit closed-off emotionally, meets new guy right as she falls back into danger very similar to whatever caused the trauma in her past, they fall in love while danger deepens and eventually best the foe together. I am not mocking ...more
Catherine
This was pretty disappointing for a Nora Roberts book. Usually I inhale her books the day I get them, but this one didn't hold my attention. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't engrossing. It took me a couple days of picking it up and putting it down before I finished it.

The beginning chapter was really interesting. It really helped get me in tune with what she did for her Search & Rescue job. I didn't mind all the details of the training for the search and rescue, most of it was interesting, but I did
Rachel
Overall rating: 4 "Pizza Slut" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Obsidian
I initially thought that "The Search" was going to be a very good romantic suspense novel, but I ended up disliking the male hero so much that it ruined any enjoyment I previously had and then soured me on the book. Roberts did a lot of research it seems into Search and Rescue and dog behavior which was good. Heck, I will even throw out some kudos about the serial killer plot being woven into the story believably. However, I cannot with a male hero who calls the heroine a "cocktease", "bitch" or ...more
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

Finally finished this one! Review to come.
LibraryLass
Not one of my out and out favourites of NR's, but I would far rather read one of her books than most others out there today any day of the week.

Loved Simon and Fiona both. Loved the whole premise of rescue dogs, the training involved etc. I quite enjoyed all the obvious research that went into this book.

But what I love the most about Nora Roberts books is that she never changes her characters to suit her plotlines. Simon started out gruff, impatient, grumpy and a loner and he consistently stayed
Carolyn
Although this story was somewhat predictable it was a very enjoyable read. Nora Roberts is a great story teller, writing great characters and romances and it was obvious that the feisty, prickly Fiona and sexy but solitary bachelor Simon were meant for each other.

They meet when Simon, a creator of beautiful wooden furniture brings his very bouncy, full of life puppy, Jaws to Fiona for training at her school for dogs. Fiona has built a new life for herself following the murder of her policeman fi
Ian
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b-favorites
Nora Roberts is a little hit and miss with me. I've read a few and almost gagged on my own vomit...but there are a few of her books which do everything right and this is one of them.
Ann Lou
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 solid stars for the h Fiona and the dogs!

Our H Simon is blunt, gruff, socially stunted and cynical.  It grated on my nerves when he told the heroine He doesn't find her beautiful and told her four times, she's not his type.  He's Mr. Romantic. NOT! His style is more like this "Shut up. You matter".  But he grew on me. I thought, they are perfect for each other.

Our h Fiona is a survivor of a crime.  She was supposed to be the 13th victim but she got out.  I love her.  She's strong, kind and she
♥Sharon♥
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it

This is my third book by Nora Roberts and I have to say The Search is my favorite so far. Both main characters were independently strong willed and when they came together I loved their chemistry. While the plot did have a bit of suspense I found the romance factor won out in this one.

Fiona Bristow was living her life doing the things that made her the happiness. Though it was a carefully constructed life, living it that way was how she kept the sadness of her past at bay and allowed her new be
Lynsey A
OK - so I'm somewhere between a 2 and 3 star on this so I'll go with 2.5 stars.

The beginning of the book was kind of boring and boy did I learn a lot about how to train a dog. I also really didn't warm up to Simon. He just seemed way too hard for me. There just was something about him that I didn't warm to. He was a little too grumpy for me or something. Fiona was ok but I didn't really love her either. It's hard to explain but this couple just didn't do it for me. Yes, I at sometimes smiled ov
Lori
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I don't know how Nora Roberts writes so many high quality novels, but she's done it again with The Search. The heroine (Fiona) was strong without being harsh/bitchy, the hero (Simon) was a delightful combination of handsome, competent, loyal, and cranky without ever becoming annoying. Watching these two fall in love was a treat.

But the real stars were Fiona's and Simon's dogs. Ms. Roberts did an amazing job giving each dog their own distinct personality and they lit up the page every time
Looking for book 1 1 Sep 10, 2020 04:30PM
Favorite Character? 7 28 Apr 17, 2020 10:24AM
I am looking for the title of a book similar to the search!!!! 2 8 Apr 17, 2020 10:22AM
Novel name search 1 4 May 28, 2019 06:23PM
An Honest Very First Hand Encounter with DialJordan 1 5 Mar 08, 2018 01:31AM
Nora Roberts Grou...: The Search - February 2017 Book of the Month 9 37 Mar 02, 2017 03:58AM
Nora Roberts Grou...: Buddy Read - The Search (March 2016) 86 44 Mar 16, 2016 06:42PM

• Shadows in Death (In Death, #51)
  • Second Sight (The Jigsaw Files Book 2)
  • Connections in Death (In Death, #48)
  • Outfox
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Hideaway, Under Currents, Come Sundown and coming in November 2020 -- The Awakening -- the first book in The Dragon Heart Legacy. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print. ...more