Start by marking “Ultimate X-Men, Volume 5: Ultimate War” as Want to Read:
Ultimate X-Men, Volume 5: Ultimate War

Ultimate X-Men, Volume 5: Ultimate War (Ultimate X-Men #5)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  1,929 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The Ultimates vs. the Ultimate X-Men: the battle begins. When the X-Men do the worst thing they could to humanity, the government orders Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and the rest of the Ultimates to bring them down. A small but lethal army, the Ultimates were created to face these and other newly rising threats to mankind. But the X-Men's founder, Professor X, hasn't be ...more
Published September 13th 2006 by Marvel (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Volume 5

Nicolo Yu
The title is an appropriate name for what was a historic clash between two of Marvel’s biggest super-teams. This pre-dated this year’s Avengers Vs. X-Men event by almost a decade, but this was set in the alternate Ultimate Universe. On the run and underground, the mutants gave as good as they got against the government-sanctioned Ultimates, this universe’s version of the Avengers.

This miniseries sets up Mark Millar’s final arc on the title he helped launch with Adam Kubert. Millar, with Brian Be
Bookwraiths
Loved this X-Men and Ultimates story line. You can't get better than Magneto being a completely savage zealot and the good guys bickering and fighting one another before taking the self-righteous madman on. The only thing I didn't totally love was the art. It was good, but at times, the main characters looked damn odd.
Sesana
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
This is the best volume of Ultimate X-Men yet. It has the tightest scripting and plotting yet, even if this is really just a prologue to the big event in the next volume. But overall, Millar is very prone to the great stumbling block of the Ultimate universe as a whole: he's so busy beating us over the head with how much "edgier" these characters are than the ones we know that they don't really become their own people. And given when this was written, for "edgy" read "jackass".
Mike
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Something about this book doesn't sit right with me. Sure it's got Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates. Sure it's written by Mark Millar who's been a favourite of mine for a while. It's got some aggressive tactics and little of the "heroes posing while they monologue".

I don't know if this stuff ages particularly well. I read most of Ultimate X-Men a number of years ago, which I enjoyed quite a bit then. But the thought occurs to me that this stuff doesn't age particularly well - too many then-curre
Leila Anani
After beast accidentally revealed to Blob that Magneto was alive the brotherhood freed him and restored him to his former glory. Magneto has issued a challenge for America to surrender power to mutants or be eliminated. S.H.I.E.L.D headed by Nick Fury is not taking it likely and has created the Ultimates (basically a prototype of the Avengers: Captain America, Thor, Ironman, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk and Wasp) to defeat Magneto. Suspicious of the X-Men he's also ordered them to be taken out as ...more
Kimberly
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Still loving it! But now I'm sad because I'm out of comics. I just ordered 6-9 though, so more reviews to come.
Ben Nealis
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
magneto was cruel as can be. i mean he shot his own son/quicksilver's knees to shreds and din not feel one ounce of guilt.good book though.
Jedhua
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Other Useful Reviews: Sesana's review

Book Info: This collection contains Ultimate War issues #1-4.

ABSOLUTE RATING: {2.5+/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <3/5 stars>

description

It's been six months since the X-Men supposedly killed Magneto in Washington D.C. But soon after the Brotherhood of Mutants blow up the Brooklyn Bridge and kill 800 New Yorkers, the country finds out the hard way that Magneto is in fact still alive and kicking. After formally taking responsibility for the attack, Magneto grants h
Dr K P Smith
Not a fan of the adolescent style of darkness. Almost everyone in the book is a bit of a dick. Wolverine? Bit of a dick. Captain America. Also a dick. Tony Stark, sleazy alcoholic douche.

I'm guessing this was written in an era where extra gore made stuff "cool" bit for me it just made it seem not so much morally ambiguous but more as though it's trying too hard to be grown up.

I suppose it's a bit like Civil War as avengers fight X men (for no valid reason as far as I can tell) but just less in
Natalie
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This story line is stupid. Like why are the Ultimates so keen on going to war. Are you that bored? Also, if someone is trying to be your ally and fix a mistake that they made, maybe you should consider it?
Nate
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ultimate War is a big step up from what has been a mostly disappointing run of Ultimate X-Men for me. The bulk of Millar's story feels like a three way philosophical chess match between Magneto, the X-Men and the Ultimate. It is smart and thoughtful and the ending slugfest is well earned.
Charles
Edward Cheer
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
There we go! Back to the low-quality Millar trash I was waiting for!

It's like relaxing in a hot tub, knowing your kid brother will turn the heat up, when you turn your back on him, and then when he does... you don't care. You still relax even though it's hotter. That's kind of what happened here. I saw how bad the comic was getting, relaxed, and read it on auto-pilot for the last issue.

Ultimate War follows the story of the X-Men... and The Avengers (sorry, the Ultimates)... and the Brotherhood o
Davy
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The X-men are in defense: their World Tour failed and now Magneto is back, with a devastating terrorist attack. So the government brings in the Ultimates. It's an early X-men versus Avengers. Millar made the Ultimates a "meaner" version of the Avengers and the X-men are younger, more naïeve. With Magneto as a third party involved, things don't end up so good for the X-men. The story is good, packed with action only strange thing is that in the entire Millar/X-men storyline there is so much actio ...more
Fugo Feedback
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Incondicionales del autor y los personajes
Recommended to Fugo by: Completismo
Y este tomo parece tan pero tan "comercial" en el sentido más literal y básico del término, que estuvo cerca de las dos estrellas. Los diálogos y vueltas de tuerca de Millar nunca me resultaron tan tirados de los pelos y los dibujos de Bachalo nunca tan poco claros. Ambos son buenos en lo que hacen casi siempre, pero no es el caso de este crossover medio forzado. Lo estoy leyendo de la edición Marvel Deluxe que incluye también "El retorno del Rey", así que veré si con esa otra historia el tomote ...more
Tym
I really wanted to be able to give this graphic novel 5 stars but the art was just too inconsistent. At times the art was really good and other times it looked like the artist was actually trying to make everyone ugly. The story was great though and it was interesting to see that Cap remembered Wolverine from WW2 in this Universe too.
Talyseon Talyseon
Classic "Two Good Guy Teams Fight" story. It's the X-Men versus the Ultimates, this universes version of the Avengers. What's not to love? Check out my full review: Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate War
Molly
Apr 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon.
Jdetrick
The cynicism of the Ultimates plus the cynicism of the Ultimate X-Men makes for an unpleasant book. And is there another artist more ill suited for a book filled with straightforward superhero fights than Chris Bachalo?
Shaun
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the art on this crossover series. I felt that it was a little short though for a crossover between two of the major teams in the Ultimate universe. The art was interesting and really got my attention.
Jeff Raymond
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I’m enjoying the Ultimate-verse brand of X-Men, but the ages are really skewing me and since I’m actually somewhat familiar with the X-Men (unlike Spidey), a lot of stuff is still throwing me. But yeah, still a good time.
Rita
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Seemed a bit slapdash to me, I'm afraid. Also, I missed the artist from the first two volumes of "The Ultimates."
Rob McMonigal
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
A step backwards for the series. See my review here: http://trebro.livejournal.com/261639....
Angel
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
See my note on it in my blog:

Aaron Swensen
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Only slightly better than the others by Millar. Perhaps The Ultimates made it a slightly more interesting story.
Amanda
Not the best of the series, but still fun. Oddly enough, I didn't find the Avengers vs. X-Men to be very well-executed here.

Also: Cap was kind of mean and a bit manipulative?? That was weird.
Chris
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting story, fun to see the ultimate version of the x-men take on the ultimates.
Declan
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great confrontation between x-men and ultimates which makes perfect sense.
Zach Danielson
The X-Men are back on top after a few dismal volumes. The art is much more solid and the story's engaging as they face off against both Magneto and the Ultimates (this universe's Avengers).
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 7: Blockbuster
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 12: Hard Lessons
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 14: Phoenix?
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 19: Absolute Power
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar

Ultimate X-Men (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 1: The Tomorrow People