Start by marking “The Digital Writing Workshop” as Want to Read:
The Digital Writing Workshop

The Digital Writing Workshop

" We believe new technologies can advance both the teaching and learning of writing." -The National Commission on Writing in American Schools and Colleges, The Neglected 'R': The Need for a Writing Revolution, 2003. Years later and we're still waiting to see how it can really be done.

The wait is over.

"In clean, clear prose that unravels the labyrinth of new terms and a
Published September 1st 2009 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about The Digital Writing Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Digital Writing Workshop

Start your review of The Digital Writing Workshop
Frances Wittman
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Digital Writing Workshop by Troy Hicks is a great resource for any teacher looking for information that will help transform their classroom into an environment where writing and workshopping takes advantage of all the technological opportunities that are out there. In the book he uses the five basic principles of the writing workshop as the structure for this book which leads to a useful and organized way in which teachers can follow his findings, teachings, and suggestions in a truly effici ...more
Megan
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What an outstanding resource for Language Arts teachers! I have incorporated many of the pieces already that Troy outlines in his book, but he grounded using a digital writer's workshop with research. This research is very helpful when discussing the benefits of using digital writing with parents and administrators. There were several new things that I love and will incorporate into my classes: RSS for SSR, MAPS (mode, audience, purpose, and situation), and using audacity to comment on writing. ...more
Deborah
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book probably should get a 5-star rating for how much information it gives, but I gave it a 4 because it wasn't the most readable (maybe a function of having so much information). That said, it should be read by every teacher who wants to incorporate technology in writing instruction because it frames such instruction in purposeful ways--not just doing the same things but on computers. Hicks' assertion is that the new technologies change even the reasons and processes and strategies--and I' ...more
Gary Anderson
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I will return to again and again in the coming months. It's practical and valuable, especially the specific links to various tutorials and other sites that are worth exploring.

Without becoming didactic, Troy Hicks leads readers to an understanding of various ways to think about digital writing and what to do with that understanding that will most benefit students.
Kris Patrick
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
How is it 2016 and we still have educators not on board with collaborative writing? Drives me bananas. Troy, I met him in June so I'm calling him Troy. Troy does a fantastic job addressing copyright & fair use as well as online sources citations. Love the idea of setting up RSS feeds as a research strategy.

Tracy Dempsey
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tons of useful information and many additional resources. It takes time to process this much information! This is a must-have for writing instructors to move writers into digital spaces.
Brian Kelley
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pawlp-library
Rooted in sound process writing principles, Troy Hicks leads you through many possibilities of transforming at least a portion of what you do in your class. I liked that he stresses the concept that we shouldn't be writing digitally just for the sake of using a computer or a slick new program. The core of what we are working are still the principles of effective writing and that should always be the primary concern.

Understanding that that is platform Troy Hicks builds upon, The Digital Writing W
Sarah Zerwin
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching, 2014
Why: I read this to prepare for a two-day seminar I'll be teaching for the Colorado Writing Project this spring.

When: January 2014

How: I read this one in hard copy. Took notes old-school (on note cards that are now stuffed in the book).

Thoughts: I definitely picked up some ideas in this book about using digital tools to support the writer's workshop. And this book got me thinking more about getting my students to produce digital, multimedia texts. That is a skill that their world will likely ask
Marybeth
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Although Hicks discusses the importance of digital literacy, his work covered the basics of components and portals teachers can use. I felt that his work spent that majority of the time trying to convince me to use technology in my classroom. I, personally, would have preferred a more in-depth conversation about digital literacy. It's an interesting read, but if you are already familiar with using Wikispaces or digital stories, you can pass on this book.
Pauline
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
My students and I love this book - it specifically addresses the HOW to use technology in the English classroom, instead of vaguely suggesting it. The book itself gets 4 stars, but the 5th star is earned with the companion website and resources that are kept up-to-date for readers.
Antje
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
For those looking for ideas, go no further. This book is nicely written, not too overwhelming and the ideas are definitely doable. I particularly like the chapter on "media literacy" - we need that now more than we need computer literacy. The kids got that down.
Joe
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great book in context. I'm excited about all the ideas Hicks presents. My head feels like it will explode, though, because of all the new information for me to play with and try out. Anyone use a digital writing workshop out there? Any pointers?
Karen
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Some people in my district are studying this book together. It makes for fascinating thinking and conversation. Helping to clarify my thinking about digital literacy within a workshop framework in my classroom.
Erika  Forth
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I consider myself a tech-savvy girl, but before this book I really had no idea to integrate these technologies and resources into the classroom. This book is thorough, easy to read, and packed with useful information.
Marsha
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most helpful and mind opening books I've read in ages. It is clearly written. It has helpful ways to implement the ideas he presents about using digital writing tools...not just to use technology but to really improve the student learning experience.
Hap Weir
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Several really outstanding ideas about how to use technology in your classroom. The Internet is an unavoidable and exceptional resource for teachers, and Hicks' ideas bring us much closer to realizing its potential in the classroom.
Allison
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edtech
Really interesting book for Langauge Arts teachers about how we can integrate technology into the Workshop model.
Marek
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very helpful discussion for a writing classroom. There are many things to think about and to help encourage both teachers and students.
Bonnie
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am reading this book, with my HVWP tech team and I can't wait to hear about how they are doing with it at our next team meeting in January.
Fran Darling
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-tech
National Writing Project in-depth look at how Digital Tools are used and effective for student wriring development.
Sara
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
More technical how-to than writing theory, but a blend of both. MUST be read within typing-distance of a computer so you can bookmark the plethora of mentioned-websites.
Meredith
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Great framework for thinking about these issues.
Joe Wood
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great book for technology elective teachers to read. It might help them give more pedagogical purpose to teaching the applications they teach.
Jon
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking look at how to integrate digital technologies into our writing instruction. Very practical and Hicks knows his stuff--great insights into the possibilities of technology.
Jianna Taylor
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good resource for teachers thinking of moving towards a digital writing workshop model. Includes many additional resources and ideas for projects.
Julie Johnson
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book has so much information and lots of samples.
Bill Gaskins
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Just finished my second read through!
jmjester
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is an essential read if you hope to use technology meaningfully in a reading/writing workshop.
Liz B
Nov 30, 2010 marked it as abandoned
This is a fine book, but not really what I was looking for.
Amy
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-books
Great ideas for taking writer's workshop to the digital level. Practical advice and good resources.

• 50 Ways to Eat Cock: Healthy Chicken Recipes with Balls
  • Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds (Captain Underpants, #3)
  • The Adventures of Super Diaper Baby (Super Diaper Baby, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1)
  • Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)
  • Under the Tuscan Sun
  • The Romans
  • Introduction to Teaching: Becoming a Professional [With Online Access Code and DVD]
  • The Reflective Educator's Guide to Classroom Research: Learning to Teach and Teaching to Learn Through Practitioner Inquiry
  • Classroom Management That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Every Teacher
  • Critical Encounters in High School English: Teaching Literary Theory to Adolescents
  • Doing Literary Criticism: Helping Students Engage with Challenging Texts
  • As the Romans Did: A Sourcebook in Roman Social History
  • Classroom Assessment: Principles and Practice for Effective Standards-Based Instruction
  • Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)
  • The Whipping Boy
  • Belonging to the Universe: Explorations on the Frontiers of Science and Spirituality
  • Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1)

News & Interviews