Start by marking “Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2

Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 2 (The Uncanny X-Men #11-21)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  393 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The origin of Professor X! The birth of the Juggernaut! The end of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants! The coming of the Sentinels! And the mystery of the Mimic!

Collects The X-Men #11-21
Published November 1st 2003 by Marvel (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Masterworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Masterworks

Dang Ole' Dan Can Dangle
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
In many ways this collection is even better than the previous one. There's heaps of backstory in here--from the origin of Professor X and Beast to the debut of plenty of memorable baddies. These 11 issues are really pretty stellar. First we see the downfall of Magneto thanks to The Stranger (who is sort of like X-Men's version of F.F.'s The Watcher), then we have the fantastic introduction to The Juggernaut, the epic Sentinel trilogy, the impressive return of Magneto, the debut of Mimic, and the ...more
Amy
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best part was Stan Lee's comments
Kami
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- These comics just keep getting better! The geeky side of me is just ecstatic while reading these!

- I like that Juggernaut is introduced in this volume! He is one of my favorite baddies!

- I loved that there is some of Professor X's history in these issues. We learn about his family, and how he loses the use of his legs.

- I don't understand why Johnny Storm was really needed, but it was fun to see him in an X-Men comic.

- There is still that old 60's humor. It is cheesy, but I still find it funny
Joseph Zurat
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
I read this across two sittings this morning and over my lunch break. In one sentence, it was better than volume 1, but Uncanny X-Men volume 1 is probably a much better place to start.

I'll start with the bad. Werner Roth is no Jack Kirby. He isn't bad by any stretch, but he really doesn't do anything to set himself apart with these issues. It also felt like Stan Lee was treading water with these stories. They don't really go anywhere or do anything too interesting with the characters. It was ni
Evan Leach
This contains issues 11-21 of the original run. I really enjoyed these as a kid, and decided to revisit them. The original X-Men consisted of Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, and Marvel Girl (Jean Grey). As ever, the team is lead by Professor Charles Xavier and his superhuman brain. These issues introduce the Juggernaut and the Sentinels. Magneto, the Blob, Unus and Lucifer also make return appearances.

These issues were published between 1965-66, and can feel pretty dated at times. The dialogue is
Meg
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The X-Men have done it again! When I started Volume Two (which consists of issues 11-21) I was a little concerned. Volume one, while it had been entertaing and good, was a little all over the place. There was no continuing story line, just a different villian for every issue, minus Magneto.

This volume was compeltely different! Every villian was no deffeated in just one issue. In fact, sometimes it took three or four issues to finally defeat the bad guy. The story continues on for our brave X-Me
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Ditto my comments on volume 1. Overwrought prose, annoying villain/evil mutant of the week, silly training exercises. Ka-Zar, really? Silly. (I know, superheros are kind of silly to begin with.)

This volume has the first appearance of Bolivar Trask and the Sentinels, which is the first time that I felt like, hey, there's actually some meat to this thing.

I'd feel a little better about these Masterworks volumes if a. they didn't go out of print so quickly and b. the introductions were better. The i
B. Jay
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Sentinals. Juggernaut. A backstory that explains Xavier's true intent when forming the X-Men- the future of mutantkind? No! Alien invasion!!
Okay, sure, these comics are cheesy like all old comics. Kirby was great, but like Stan Lee you have to try and read these comics as though Marvel was still a ground breaking phenomenon instead of a flimsy outline of what other writers and artists would do in the following decades.
But if you can swallow that pill of cynical suspension, these stories rea
J.R.
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breaking it down by story arc:

1) The Stranger - 4 stars. Reads like a sci-fi Mark Twain short story with a twist.
2) Juggernaut - 4 stars. A great origin story and really suspenseful. Even I (who knows what Juggy looks like) was waiting eagerly to see him through the shadows.
3) Sentinels - 3.5 stars. The sentinels have come a long way since this time, this is a good intro.
4) Magneto Returns - 3 stars. A little gimmicky, but Iceman gets time to shine.
5) Mimic - 3 stars. Cool to see one opponent
B
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
You can tell that the people writing this just did not have long-term plans and thought they could get away with a lot.

Perhaps the most exciting part is when the winged Angel takes flight in a hospital and the nurses gape:
NURSE 1: What's he doing?
NURSE 2: He must be calling the mansion. They have an AUTOMATIC MACHINE that takes MESSAGES!

Also, miracle sulfa drug.

And what's with the character designs of Magneto, Lucifer, and the Sentinels? All exceedingly similar.
Cassie
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm new to the X-Men comics, so I figured I'd start at the beginning, and perhaps not really knowing a whole lot about old school comics, I probably didn't appreciate this the way others would. Comics have certainly come a long way since then, and it's nice to get some perspective on a veteran series like this one, but the scripting leaves something to be desired.

Also, Beast is insufferable. I eventually just started skipping his lines altogether.
Edward Davies
This second volume of original X-Men tales starts off slow, but I have a fondness for the Juggernaut story as it was among one of the first X-Men stories I remember reading. Plus, with the first appearance of The Sentinels and The Mimic, this is filled with some stories that have proven very important as the years have passed.
Aurora
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Classic stuff. More character development, some pretty big villains. My only complaint: why do two different villains wear the same colors? What's so great about red and purple, hmm, Magneto and Lucifer?
Matthew Ledrew
Dec 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: x-men
This is one of the only Stan Lee 60s creations where the stories do not age well. Or at all.

Unreadable.

Read my whole review of this and more books on The Book Closet website
Mike Wierzbicki
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
As with Vol. 1, these issues did not age well.
Tara Calaby
While it's interesting to read the origin stories of the X-Men, these earliest titles have a way to go before reaching their peak.
Clark
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
An improvement over the first 10 issues. Not a giant improvement, but an improvement. The original Sentinels story is pretty solid. Ditto for Juggernaut.
alternBRUNO°°
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The twists are nice.
Jamey
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some people think these are cheesy. I don't care. They're great!!!!
Etienne
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good one in general, some better than the other, but a good 4 stars to most of them! If you like the x-men serie this far, it just keep going in the same direction and style,
Bob Wolniak
  • X-Men Legacy: Salvage
  • Avengers vs. X-men, Round 3
  • FF, Volume 2: Family Freakout
  • Siege: X-Men: Dark Wolverine & New Mutants
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee...

The Uncanny X-Men (1 - 10 of 120 books)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1