Start by marking “Paw Tracks in the Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Paw Tracks in the Moonlight

Paw Tracks in the Moonlight (Paw Tracks #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  871 Ratings  ·  178 Reviews
The heart-warming story of one man and his cat

When Denis O'Connor rescues a three-week-old kitten from certain death during a snowstorm, little does he know how this tiny creature will change his life forever. Against all odds the kitten - who he names Toby Jug - survives and forms an unusually strong bond with his rescuer.

Set against the rural splendour of Northumberland
Published October 1st 2009 by Constable & Robinson (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Paw Tracks in the Moonlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paw Tracks in the Moonlight

Mischenko
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on Throwback Thursday @ https://readrantrockandroll.wordpress...

I first noticed this book after my friend Leila was reading it on Goodreads and then I noticed that Luis Carlos Montalvan had rated it highly and reviewed it as well. I got online and ordered a copy and was pleasantly surprised to obtain a signed copy. I’m so happy to have found this gem of a book! It’s one of the best cat stories I’ve read.

This book is the true story of Toby Jug, a Maine Coone kitten rescued a
Luis
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs-cats-horses

"Paw Tracks in the Moonlight" will tug at your heart and paw at your soul. Toby Jug and Denis share a love that is otherworldly and yet so close to home.
Kerrie Sakura
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't often cry at books, but I wept at this one. And then I went and hugged my own cat.
It's definitely worth reading though. Toby Jug was a special cat (and like all cats would relish his story being told) who brought a lot of happiness into the world. That's what made it worth reading, for me - even though it made me sob, it's a lovely reminder that animals can't stay with us forever, but we're lucky that we get the time with them that we do.

Now, go and hug your cat.
Sharon
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this delightful tale about Dennis and Toby Jug.

Who would think that a book with very little else happening apart from the relationship between a slightly eccentric character and his cat would be so interesting. A very gentle paced story that I really looked forward to picking up, and losing myself, to find out what was happening.

It very much reminded me whilst reading of Noodle. We, as a family, were living in Saudi Arabia for a 4 year posting with my husbands job. Sneak was a s
Leila
For me personally, this is one of the most moving books I have read in a long time, though I feel it isn't for everyone. It is autobiographical in content. Lovers of the countryside, animals and cats in particular are the most likely readers of this book. The author has written a gentle,genuine, detailed and intimate portrait covering a portion of his life. It is a true story. Set in Northumberland in the North of England quite close to where I live...the author shares his life with a tiny Maine ...more
Dawn
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cat Lovers
Shelves: biography
I liked this book because there's nothing tacky about it and there's no bad language or sex in it. It is a good, clean read. (It has given me hope that creative writing without sex or swearing in it is still published!)

The book is a bit slow in parts however. The style of writing is clear, but a little dry and boring in parts. Nevertheless there were some quirky bits and what I loved most is Denis O'Conor's tenderness for his pet, and it reveals how people long for something to fill "emotionally
Irena
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Прочетох тази книга на един дъх.
Отношенията между котката и човекът, влюбен в нейния смел, самостоятелен, неимоверно привлекателен характер не подлежат на описание. Въпреки това Денис О’Конър е успял да създаде трогателно и драматично произведение за живота си с Тоби Джъг, котарак от породата Мейн Кун. Историята започва със спасяването на котето като непрогледнало бебе и разказва за неговото превръщане в истински котарак. В това време неговият стопанин минава през терзания и тревоги с нежност, н
Irena Milanova
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Може да звучи ужасно пристрастно, но като потомствен коткар оценявам книжлето изцяло по сантиментално достойнство, а не по стилистично. Разплака ме на няколко пъти, разсмя ме още толкова, значи безспорно ме е докоснало по тънката струна на котколюбивата ми душица. А и без бой си признавам, че подобен род четива, които карат коткофилията ми да избуява, са ми слабост, така че... :3 *отива да намачка котарака* ❤
Christine
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first saw this book on GoodReads as a giveaway (I did not win one). When my local library got it, my name was the first on the list. As a lifelong cat lover (as well as other animals) I could not wait to read. If you have ever had a deep bond with a cat, then you must read this book. AS I read the first page, I knew I was in trouble. I knew I could not put down until finished and I didn't. Toby Jug and Denis O'Connor will melt your heart and put great big smiles on your face. Then along the wa ...more
Devora
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
От няколко дни си имам нов приятел – не знам как се казва, защото името му е дадено от друг и то отдавна, но аз реших да го наричам Тигър заради пухкавата му оранжева козина. Засякохме се на улицата съвсем случайно и веднага си допаднахме. После, точно както направих и с Жоро преди много години, веднага го заведох да го запозная с баба. Почудихме се се какво да го правим, защото му личи, че не е бездомник, а пък вкъщи никой не обича котки. Накрая го нахранихме и го оставихме да намери сам пътя к ...more
Emma
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
A sweet book about a man's relationship with a kitten he rescues and then keeps as a pet. However I later discovered that this is a true story. I couldn't quite understand why the author felt it necessary to write this book at all. He has some pompous and pretentious ideas about animals and nature and the descriptions of his relationship with his cat became a little uncomfortable knowing that the events were all factual. Just a bit odd. Another free Kindle read that I'm glad I didn't pay for.
April
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loan-from-friend
This is my favorite kind of book to read! Beautiful setting in a foreign country, human and a rescued animal, adventures, flora and fauna! I just loved this book and the little cat!
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Paw Prints in the Moonlight tells the story of Toby Jug, a diminutive and charming Maine Coon cat rescued by the author as a tiny kitten, after its mother was hit by a car. From infancy, Toby Jug was an unusual cat, small but curious, cheerful, affectionate, and adventurous. His loyalty to the author was strong enough that Mr. O'Connor was able to take him on walks (usually but not always wearing a harness) and car rides. Toby Jug even accompanied the author on a horseback camping trip -- a memo ...more
Diane
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
For animal and pet enthusiasts this is a great story. Not for those who aren't fond of animals, nature, pets. If, however, your love of animals does not extend to cats, you should give this one a try. I happen to share the author's passions for the natural world, so this was my sort of story. If you're new to this genre, be warned that there is always a heartbreaking end. Animals seldom outlive us, and when they do their fate is seldom a happy one, as they mourn our passing, as well as often fin ...more
Linda
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Author O'Connor tracks through snow in the darkest of winter nights to rescue an injured cat. When he finds her he also finds her two kittens. At the veterinarian's office he watches as both the mother and the babies are on the verge of dying. But one kitten tugs at his heart so much that he takes it home, against the veterinarian's advice because he believes the kitten will be dead by morning.

The kitten does not die overnight and so begins the life and love between a very tiny cat and a man wit
Kimberly
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful. I read this whole, sweet gem, of a book with a smile on my face, through every page, every section. Any animal lover would take to this book, especially lovers of our feline friends. You will fall in love with the cat, whose name is Toby Jug. A Maine Coon breed.

The true story takes place in England, which was a treat in itself. The descriptions of the countryside, the ancient buildings and homes, the quiet fields, the ponds and streams. Written through each season Spring,
Bobbi
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tima
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Denis returns home from work to find a mother cat in a trap. What follows the rescue is a mad dash to the vet to try to save the mother and her kittens. Only one kitten survives and it takes a fight from both kitty and Denis. Kitty earns the name of Toby Jug and soon becomes the author's most beloved companion.

I enjoyed this story. It was sweet and heartwarming. There weren't any big surprises and gripping plots, just a feel good story about the love he found for his little friend. It's a story
Marina Nova
Няма да съм напълно обективна. Обичам котките и отношението ми към тях и изобщо животинското царство е изключително топло и дори сантиментално. В тази връзка и мнението ми за книгата е сантиментално. Да, разказът като литературно произведение не е нищо особено, но като история за спасението, приятелството и всичко между тях е затрогваща, вълнуваща и емоционална.

П. П. Всеки, който обича котките и затрогващите истории, ще оцени книжката. :)
Bettie☯

Kevin Whately reads from Denis O'Connor's memoir.

One snowy night in the wilds of Northumberland, O'Connor is settling in for a night in front of the fire when he hears a cry of pain from the woods outside.
Jan
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is really a sweet biographical story about a man who rescues a tiny kitten and the special bond that develops between the two as Toby grows into a beautiful adult cat. It’s a really fun read for cat lovers, especially anyone with a special cat in their life. It’s cute & lighthearted. It's much lighter than what I usually read. I really enjoyed it.
Gail
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this to my mother in the nursing home, and she enjoyed it a lot. It recounts the rescue of the kitten and his first year. The author is a British psychologist and he is very British. It is an enjoyable story especially if you are a cat person. My mother who cannot have a pet had Toby Jug for a pet as long as I was reading it to her.
Steve
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sentimental journey with a man and the cat he loves. I read it as sort-of a Christmas book, so the time of the year had a lot to do with my reaction. Don't know if Id recommend it if you're not in the mood. I'll admit, I got misty-eyed when the cat died a the end. (This isn't a spoiler because it's in the chapter headings and seems to be an obligatory scene.)
Bookindle
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite
I loved this book! I'm a sucker for anything about cats - and this one didn't disappoint. Toby Jug is the sweetest cat.

A lovely book to read, although I did cry my eyes out at the end. Am looking forward to reading the follow on. I just wanted to hug both my cats at the end!!
Jeanene Palmer
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written memoir of a wonderful relationship with a man and his Maine Coon miracle cat...be ready for laughs and tissues...Toby Jug was an exceptional soul...
Susan
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely marvelous book!! Well-written and most enjoyable story of a very special cat named Toby Jug! A must for all cat people and Anglophiles!
PWRL
Apr 01, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
SM
Ralitsa  Koleva
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: others
It took me really long time to read this one, but it was really beautiful story which made me cry at the end.
Susan
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely marvelous book! Well-written, charming and engaging story about a very special cat named Toby Jug
Valerie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that I was a bit cynical when I first started reading this book, about a man's devotion to a cat, which I bought on offer from Amazon for Kindle. I wasn't being fair. The thing is, the author focuses a lot of the book on waxing lyrical about the countryside but then, as the story progressed, I realised that if he had written merely about his cat, Toby Jug, the book would have been quite short. No, I was wrong. All in all it's a charming and quite old-fashioned non-fiction story base ...more
  • Under the Paw: Confessions of a Cat Man
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas- How a Cat Brought a Family the Gift of Love
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • A Snowflake in My Hand
  • The World According to Bob: The Further Adventures of One Man and His Street-wise Cat
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm
  • I Am Maru
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • A Cat Named Darwin: Embracing the Bond Between Man and Pet
  • Cleo
  • Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • The Cat Who Came in from the Cold
  • Taming Me: Memoir of a Clever Island Cat
  • When Fraser Met Billy: An Autistic Boy, a Rescue Cat, and the Transformative Power of Animal Connections
  • The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats
Denis O'Connor trained as a psychologist and teacher. Throughout his career he taught in schools and lectured in colleges and universities. He is retired and lives with his wife Catherine and his two Maine Coon cats in a remote country cottage in Northumberland.
More about Denis O'Connor...

Paw Tracks (3 books)