Start by marking “Brownie & Pearl Step Out” as Want to Read:
Brownie & Pearl Step Out

Brownie & Pearl Step Out

(Brownie & Pearl)

Meet Brownie, a little girl with a flair for the frou-frou, and Pearl, her feisty feline sidekick! They’re heading out on the town for a birthday party, and the celebration is certain to be filled with friends and presents and games and treats. But when Brownie feels shy about ringing the doorbell, will Pearl be able to revive her stepping-out spirit?

With its simple,
Published December 29th 2009 by Beach Lane Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Brownie & Pearl Step Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brownie & Pearl Step Out

Start your review of Brownie & Pearl Step Out
Destiny Dawn Long
My daughter loves this book. As soon as she saw it at the library, she insisted that we borrow it. And since then we've read it countless times. The story is simple: a shy little girl and her cat go to a birthday party, when the girl has doubts her cat takes the lead, and ultimately a good time is had by all. It seems to be targeted toward beginning readers--all of the sentences are short. Structures are repetitive. Word choices are basic. Which are all things that can make it a bore to read ...more
Meg
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, cats
I don't love "reader"-level books as a rule, but I found this one lovable. "It is a birthday party. Cats are invited." Quick, simple, easy-to-read for beginners (this is labeled by the publisher as "pre-level one." Will recommend the series.
A very simple book suitable for very young children. I like the fact that Brownie is feeling shy and nervous about going to the party at first, but when Pearl goes on in, requiring her to follow, she really enjoys herself.
Ryan
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet and simple. A book about going to a birthday party where cats are invited.
Jessica
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
The illustrations were colorful. I like the unique names. A lesson can be learned but is not super obvious for young readers. Not one of my favorite Rylant books.
Athena
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10e-er-fiction
Both my daughters have enjoyed this book series. They have great fun joining Brownie & Pearl in their adventures. We love the great story and illustrations!
Tasha
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this simple, charming story, Rylant explores shyness. Brownie, the little girl, and Pearl, her cat, are going to a birthday party that cats are invited to too. Once they are at the door to the party, Brownie starts to feel shy about knocking. Pearl, though, is not shy at all and enters the house by the cat door, forcing Brownie to have to knock and join the party. By the end of the party, full of cake and ice cream and having played lots of games, Brownie is very happy to have come.

Rylant
Charli Greene
This story book is about a little girl named Brownie who goes to a birthday party that she was invited to. Her pet cat, Pearl, goes along with her. As Brownie gets to the door she suddenly feels nervous about going in and ringing the doorbell. Pearl, her cat, shows her that there is nothing to be nervous about! This story is very sweet and sends a message of "confidence" to its reader. Brownie was insecure about ringing the doorbell, but Pearl showed her that she has confidence in herself and ...more
Julie
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picturebooks
Here is a simple, attractive book suitable for reading aloud (concepts: friendship, pets, birthday parties) but also wonderful for beginning readers.

A little girl named Brownie is on the way to a birthday party with her cat Pearl. At the doorstep, Brownie feels too shy to knock. Pearl confidently steps through the kitty door. Now Pearl must knock and follow her cat. Both have a great time at the party, of course.

No page has more than 4 sentences nor more than 13 words. The illustrations are
The Library Lady
Feb 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I love cats--I have two. I love little brunette girls--I have two. And I (generally) love Cynthia Rylant's books--I have many on the library shelves. So why don't I like this?

Perhaps because it's cloyingly sweet in both art--looks like the worst of Japanese "cute". Perhaps because of the text, which is stilted in a "Pat the Bunny" sort of fashion.Probably both.

Did Rylant really write this? Was she overdosed on last year's Easter candy or something?

And this is apparently a new series.
Jennifer Danko
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Cynthia Rylant did a great job at presenting a simple moral to this great children’s book. Without making it obvious she let the children know that is better to face your fears than to walk away from them all together. The pictures are bright colorful. The hues of pink and flowers everywhere make this book especially attractive for girls. The book is an easy read and great for children who are learning to read. There are only a few words on each page. This creates a less intimidating challenge ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Brownie and her cat Pearl are going to a birthday party. Brownie's not sure about going in, but Pearl is. They play games, eat cake and ice cream, and have a wonderful time.

What I thought: A great book. The text is perfect for preschoolers. The illustrations are great--so colorful. I predict this book will be popular with my Fancy Nancy/Princess fans.

Exciting news, readers! Brownie & Pearl is a series. The second book Brownie & Pearl Get Dolled Up was published in May

Story Time Themes:
Cassie
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brownie & Pearl are headed out to a birthday party for kids and cats. Brownie is a bit shy to actually knock at the door, but not Pearl who boldly enters through the cat door. Good for you Pearl! Brownie has to knock now and at the end of the party, is very happy she did.
The color palette used by Brian Briggs first drew me to this new birthday book by Cynthia Rylant. The cover is eye-catching and very cutsie and the story is fun to share aloud and even great for a beginning reader to share
S.j.reads
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute story with adorable pictures. I expected Brownie to become ill after all the cake and ice cream (I have boys...it's what they'd want in a book) and was glad to see that wasn't the case...although the picture made it seem that way. Still, the girls really enjoyed this one and liked pointing things out in the pictures. Probably not one I'll re-read a bunch or get out again, but nice book to borrow from the library.
Meredith
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Brownie and Pearl attend a birthday party to which cats are invited.

The Brownie & Pearl series in which the odd idiomatic phrases "get dolled up," "go for a spin," "grab a bite," "hit the hay," "make good," "see the sights," "step out," and "take a dip" are illustrated and explored is extremely cute and a hit with toddler girls. However, my husband and I find the lack of parental supervision is somewhat disturbing.
Franki Sibberson
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was very excited to see a new book by Cynthia Rylant! This one is very different from her others and I am wondering if it is going to be a series. A very simple picture book about a little girl and her cat who are attending a party. They are feeling a little shy at the beginning but then end up having a great time! The illustrations will draw kids in.
Jess Brown
Rylant does a nice job of using easy beginning-to-read words combined with bright, attractive illustrations to explore shyness and timidity. Brownie is nervous about attending a birthday party (which I'm sure many kids will feel, naturally), but through the help of eager Pearl, she finds herself having a great time. I like that this book is both a good read aloud and good for beginning readers.
Jean Odom
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My daughter has all of the Brownie and Pearl books. Although she is almost 10 now and has graduated to reading long novels, she still loves the beautiful pictures and sweet stories of the Brownie and Pearl series. We had many a wonderful story time before bed reading them and they are a treasured collection.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I was disappointed by this one. The language was a bit too spare, sounding like a Dick and Jane book. It was very simple. I'd recomend this one if you have a very young girl child with a pretty short attention span.

This book gets girly bonus points for being very pink.
Dolly
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: childrens, birthday, 2010, pets
Cute story about a birthday party and how a little girl overcomes her shyness to enjoy herself. Very cute and colorful illustrations and simple narrative - perfect for beginning readers. We've read this one a few times.
Sarah Souther
Brownie goes to a party with her cat, Pearl, but finds she is shy. Pearl isn't. The story is a bit simple and bland to read to a small child. If there were slightly fewer words on a line, this would be a great easy reader. The illustrations are bright and fun.
Rosa Cline
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: birthday, kids
This is a Ready to Read Pre Level One reader. Fun easy to follow text with fun illustrations of a little girl and her kitten going to a birthday party. The little girl a little shy to go but the kitten go into the kitten door. They are glad they overcome their shyness.
Peacegal
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Brownie overcomes her shyness about attending a birthday party.
Librariansteph
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Brownie & Pearl" is a great series for 2 year olds. Reminds me of Maisy, which my kids loved as toddlers.
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Super easy reader. Preschool and younger. Not too much to the story but has such beautiful pictures that we read it anyway. :)
Jodie
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
An easy read story about a girl and a cat.
Jami
Apr 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
simplistic early reader. the younger ones liked it well enough.
Melissa
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it
A good short book that introduces what might happen at a party (games, ice cream) and how a child might feel (shy, happy). Cute illustrations.
Christi
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The kids gave this one a five! The illustrations are sweet. The Bownie and Pearl books are cute and fun for beginning readers!
MaryLibrarianOH
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brownie is a shy little girl on her way to a birthday party with her cat. A sweet, simple story by Cynthia Rylant. Perfect for toddlers and prechoolers or beginning readers.

• One Dark Bird
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Peter, le chat debout
  • How to Wash a Woolly Mammoth
  • Owen
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Hello Hello
  • Grumpy Pants
  • The Chickens Are Coming!
  • Penguin's Big Adventure (Penguin)
  • Waiting
  • The Readymade Thief
  • The Good Egg
  • Everybunny Dance!
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Spot Bakes a Cake
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more

Brownie & Pearl (8 books)
  • Brownie & Pearl Get Dolled Up