Start by marking “Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History” as Want to Read:
Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History

Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History

On February 15, 2003, a group of thieves broke into an allegedly airtight vault in the international diamond capital of Antwerp, Belgium and made off with over $108 million dollars worth of diamonds and other valuables. They did so without tripping an alarm or injuring a single guard in the process.

Although the crime was perfect, the getaway was not. The police zeroed in

Published February 2nd 2010 by Union Square Press

To ask other readers questions about Flawless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flawless

Jill Hutchinson
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
This book could have had an alternate title called "Brilliant" as it certainly falls into that category. In 2003, the largest diamond heist in history occurred and the author delights the reader with the step-by-step preparation and execution of the amazing robbery.

Antwerp, Belgium is the diamond capital of the world and through the ultra secure Diamond District, millions upon million of dollars worth of gems (80% of the world's available supply) pass daily. The electronic and men-on-the-ground
Alex Givant
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, best-of-2019, crime
Excellent account on Antwerp diamont heist. I always amazed how much efforts and thinking criminals put in some high-value heists. Interesting facts about diamond industry too!
Carlos
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 starts for this one . What makes this book a good one is the fact that this actually happened, a group of people robbed the diamond center in Antwerp and made out with almost 500000 $ in diamonds and fleeing currency, 4 people were accused and went to trial , they never talked...even until now there is no clarity as to how it happened but this book tries to answer those question...this book feels like a movie and better than one at the same time . Highly recommend it if you are looking for a ...more
Lisa
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I got this eBook free via Barnes & Noble on Facebook! It's a good read so far -- has the feel of Ocean's 11, except it's a true story. I'm learning a lot of things that I didn't know about the Antwerp diamond district -- which I didn't even know existed.
Whitney
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being largest diamond heist in history- really, one of the largest heists ever, this book is inherently interesting. It answers the burning questions like, how did they do it? Did they get caught? Although we don't really know exactly how they did it (nobody talked), the fast paced action of this book takes you through the process and gives you a taste of the excitement that the thieves must have been feeling as they went through it.

At 230ish pages, it is pretty fast paced. Lots of nonfiction l
Fred Hughes
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fairly detailed account of the world's largest diamond heist.

The thieves made a couple of minor mistakes and were caught and served their time.

But the diamonds were never recovered

Fun book
Vicky Hunt
High Tech Security Rendered Worthless with Hairspray, Electrical Tape, and Styrofoam

Whether family heirlooms, personal investments, corporate diamond industry products, blood diamonds, war/ conflict diamonds, or just black diamonds in general... diamonds represent a highly valued method of portable and exchangeable wealth that is not dependent on currency or political stability. The diamond district in Belgium sees much of the diamond traffic that circulates the globe. This book follows the deta
Suzanne
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The fun of participating in reading challenges is discovering exciting new books. I was challenged to read a book having to do with diamonds, so I selected a non-fiction work about a jewel heist.

In 2003, a group of Italian thieves broke into a secure vault in Antwerp's Diamond District, and stole what could be valued at $500 million in jewels, precious metals and cash. Author Scott Andrew Selby presents a work of narrative non-fiction, outlining the impressive details of the robbery and how law
Jacob
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a decent account of a very interesting crime. I guess I expected the story to be somewhat similar to the movie of the same name, but it was totally different. In fact, the only thing similar besides the name is that it is a story of a diamond heist. Anyway, I don't think that prevents me from evaluating this book on its merits.

There's some good background here on the diamond industry, and the authors are pretty careful to make it clear in the text what they know for sure and what is con
Cheryl Hager
if not for the BR reading challenge, I would have never considered this book, or any true crime book, for that matter. I tried to remember where and what I was doing when all this hit the news in 2003...I don't remember any of it. Just think, if these guys, and others like them, put this same effort into something productive and law-abiding, the world would be less of a sesspool.
JRay
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
Fascinating true story about the largest diamond heist in history. An easy and enjoyable read!
Robin
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Fascinating look at an epic heist. Read like a movie.
Elisha Condie
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was certainly interesting, and entertaining. Leonardo Notarbartolo is a small time Italian crook and he, along with several crook buddies (who form an informal organization called the School of Turin) plan to rob a vault in Antwerp's Diamond District. Just like the cover says, it's all very "Ocean's Eleven". There's the electronics guy, the supply guy, the charismatic leader guy.

And they are so close to getting away with it when just a couple of bad coincidences tie them to the crime. An
Michael O'Neill
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fair to middlin'. What I thought was going to be an exciting thriller, advertised as "the largest diamond heist in history", was rather flat both in the story and in the telling. The details of the planning and the heist itself were described as if our "school of Turin" was a crew of plumbers off to replace the fixtures in a customer's bathroom. And to have the apparently successful heist come undone within twenty-four hours because the masterminds were careless about their trash was disappointi ...more
Bridget
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A group of thieves pulled off a perfect robbery in 2003. The alarms didn't trip and no one was injured. Making it out with over one hundred million dollars in diamonds and jewels. The police were able to find out who the culprits were but they were baffled by how the heist went so smoothly. The big dog of the group was an Italian man named Leonardo who worked out of a Diamond Center office. Scott, a law graduate and Greg, an author, teamed up to find out what really happened during one of the mo ...more
Lori Paximadis
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this well-told, suspenseful story of a real-life vault robbery and how it came together. Lots of interesting information here about the diamond business in general, too, as well as Antwerp's diamond district.
Bridget
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I really enjoyed this book, which was surprising considering I picked it out at random at the library. It's like a real-life Ocean's 11 story. I actually found myself feeling bad that the thieves got caught (but of course they did, or there wouldn't be a book about how they did it).
Ken Eveleigh
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent story of the planning and execution of the "crime of the century". Reconstructed through personal interviews, trial transcripts and extensive survey of the police evidence. A real life "Ocean's Eleven".
Greg Pallett
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed Oceans 11, any of the punk panther movies or The Heist, you out to give this book a read. It's the story of one of (if not the largest) diamond/jewelry/money theft in history.
Ia vanOpstall
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps one of my favorite books of all time. It's an entirely new experience to get in the head of a master criminal and see all the tactics they are willing to employ for one heist. Working in the office above the safes for half a decade so no one suspects him as a suspicious characer, using hairspray, masking tape and a piece of styrofoam to take out one of the best security systems in the country, and the one fatal flaw the gang made in their getaway that led to their eventual arrest ...more
Somnath Banerjee
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting narrative of one of the most daring crime that ever too place, a diamond heist in early 2000. First the book gives a good background of the diamond industry, various operations involved in diamond mining to production and marketing -- which sets the stage for an informed reading. Although I visited Belgium myself, I never knew that Antwarp is the main center of diamond business, having the so-called "Diamond District" -- which was eventually targeted by a very smart gr ...more
Samantha
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book, well written and I just could not put the book down. It is am amazing story! To think that they nearly got away with it is incredible. They had luck on their side the whole time, until right at the very end their luck ran out. But the fact that they robbed the diamond vault with no problem is unbelievable. The whole story is so intriguing. The research that went into backtracking everything to put all the pieces together, however, there are gaps and you make up your mi ...more
Sam Hnatiw
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
While the story itself is fascinating. It feels like the authors were more concerned with hitting a word count than telling an interesting story. Details are repeated to an extent that i found myself rolling my eyes. I had to force myself to finish the final 3rd of the book. Id say if youre a fan of true crime, read this. If you like the repetative catalogue of every last detail, even ones that dont seem relevant, youll love this. But it really wasnt for me. Even the actual retelling of the heis ...more
Travis
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfict-general
The book started with the planning and execution of the heist, moved into a detective story, and ended with a legal drama (or dramedy, perhaps...). It seemed to be well-balanced, avoiding exaggerating or sensationalizing the events while still keeping the story moving and developing the "characters" involved. Would highly recommend it for a glimpse into a real-life Ocean's Eleven! (e.g.: real heists take literally *years* of planning, not a Hollywood timescale of days or weeks ...)
Mike Augustine
An interesting read and a window into the sorted world of diamonds. Amazing the level of incompetence in the security system and even more amazing the balls to go through with the heist. Of course they screwed up the simple stuff. Still, the basically demonstrated that crime can actually pay, big. Well researched. Would have benefited from more diagrams and photos to aid the labored descriptions.
Paige Gordon
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fascinating read detailing the nearly unbelievable story of the heist of the Antwerp Diamond Center. The amount of planning and luck that enabled the School of Turin thieves to accomplish this task is incredible and this book is a fast-paced, thought-provoking, and very insightful read. Simply fascinating history - one of my favorite types of books! :D
Chris
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Rating Scale
1 - Strong Do Not Recommend (Very Rare)
3 - Weak Recommend (Majority)
5 - Strong Recommend (Rare)

I like non-fiction criminal capers much better than those from fiction, and this is a pretty epic one. Plus, some valuable lessons about the dangers of too much security leading to complacency.
Lamadia
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was exceptionally well written for a non-fiction account. It was amazingly researched, according to the copious notes in the back, and as interesting as a fictional heist story. It was even more interesting, though, because it showed how a real heist is done rather than one written for dramatic purposes.
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some of the writing was so-so (like the suggestion that something was as large as 'a jar of peanuts') but this is a fascinating and detailed look at an almost-successful heist of possibly $100M of diamonds. Actually, given that they served five years in prison and the loot was mostly not recovered, maybe it was successful after all.
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book checked the boxes in this year's reading challenge for "true crime" and "book involving a heist." I think the audiobook got me through it. I would probably have skimmed over several sections had I been reading from a hard copy. At times it was very interesting, but often I found myself daydreaming and distracted. It just didn't hold my attention like I thought it would.

• Made Men: The True Rise-And-Fall Story of a New Jersey Mob Family
  • The Art of the Steal: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business from Fraud, America's #1 Crime
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • The Art of Making Money: The Story of a Master Counterfeiter
  • The Best American Crime Writing: 2003 Edition: The Year's Best True Crime Reporting
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • The Art of the Heist: Confessions of a Master Thief
  • King of the Godfathers
  • The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers
  • The Good Rat
  • Provenance: How a Con Man and a Forger Rewrote the History of Modern Art
  • Skyjack: The Hunt for D.B. Cooper
  • The Crimes of Paris: A True Story of Murder, Theft,  and Detection
  • Angel Face: The Real Story of Student Killer Amanda Knox
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • The Snakehead: An Epic Tale of the Chinatown Underworld and the American Dream
I'm a graduate of UC Berkeley and Harvard Law School. I also have a master’s degree in Human Rights and Intellectual Property Law from Sweden’s Lund University, where I wrote his thesis on diamonds. I am licensed to practice law in California and New York.