Start by marking “At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North” as Want to Read:
At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North

At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  466 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This is the remarkable story of a German soldier who fought throughout World War II, rising from conscript private to captain of a heavy weapons company on the Eastern Front.

William Lubbeck, age 19, was drafted into the Wehrmacht in August 1939. As a member of the 58th Infantry Division, he received his baptism of fire during the 1940 invasion of France. The following spri
Published January 1st 2007 by Casemate (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about At Leningrad's Gates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Leningrad's Gates

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North
Bogdan
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: war, world-war-ii, germany
Like other have observed before me this book wasn`t very detailed about the actual war, or the Leningrad offensive, but pluses more on the personal side of living the events.

And that`s not at all so bad as it sounds.

And another thing that worth to be mention is that this book was written at the end of his life, not after the war, so I quite understand that the author hasn`t the vivid pictures in his head like it was at the time of the fighting.

Like I said, there are a lot of small things from th
Leftbanker
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Did Not Finish! I got tired of the character saying how he wasn't a Nazi, how he thought Hitler was a big stinker. Of course, that's what he's going to say when writing for an American audience. What do you expect him to say? "Hitler made a lot of sense to me back then." While I enjoyed the perspective of his point of view, I couldn't take his careful rewriting of history.
Jill Kent
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good memoir.

This book is more of a general memoir. It is not real in depth or gritty, combat wise. it is more like a personal story telling of the 58th. division. If you are looking for detailed descriptions of combat on the Eastern Front, this book is not for you. the overall story is a good read and an excellent overview of life before, during and after the war.
Jonathan
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: wwii
An ok memoir, not so much down in the nitty gritty of combat as most memoirs but written more as a general overview of his childhood, combat experiences, and post war life. Written honestly it feels, would be rated much higher if he had taken the time to give more personal details. Over all not a bad book though.
Kutsua
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tahle kniha v sobě zosobňuje všechny důvody, proč jsou paměti pramenem historické práce jen velmi problematickým.
Pamětník vzpomíná na válečné události na západní i na východní frontě po desítkách let a jeho vzpomínky pěkně učesává do až příliš strojeného jazyka ghost-writer. Jakému účelu kniha slouží? Autor deklaruje, že mu jde o rozšíření perspektivy amerického čtenáře - a to jistě částečně plní -, ale nelze se ubránit pocitu, že to, čeho se autor skutečně snaží dosáhnout, je sebevalidace, smíř
Rockossack
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war-memoir
Guess this will teach me to better read reviews in the future as there was plenty of comments "warning" about the depth of the book.

I am not saying that this was a bad account, I just think that it was too shallow for a war memoir, especially when you compare it to some of the other memoirs available. I think it is also evident that the book was geared mainly towards American readers and felt that it was an instrument for fulfilling Lubbeck's desire to become American himself.

While the book off
Themistocles
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, world-war-ii
Oh boy, this must be the blandest, most indifferent personal war memoir I've ever read.

Granted, it was written decades after the facts, but still if you go by it the war was something along the lines of "must get Anneliese back/unit moved a bit/I must be the best in all I do/phew that was close". You would think there were barely any dead on the Eastern front!

What also really got on my nerves was the writer's self-serving de-nazification. The book is apolitical to an extreme degree, save a few c
Steve Adair
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great First Hand View of The German Army at the Russian Front

This a great first hand view of the German army at the Russian front. The descriptions of being in a foxhole with Russian aircraft bombing and strafing, artillery and mortar rounds exploding all around, and killing comrads and friends made me almost feel like I was in the foxhole. He offers a chilling description of the initial shock of see friends and comrades being killed and wounded.
Steven R. Felstein
A very good book

A unique look at the war from a German soldier point of view. I enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed reading the Ted Roosevelt quote on immigrants from other countries who assimilate. I wish people would think this way today, getting rid of hyphen between their home country and their new adopted country.
Brian Totten
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pleased to read another memoir of my ancestor's trials

A wonderful story, worthy of our times, even now - Powerful, yet down to earth, an historian's treat - Absolutley worth your time!
Mark W
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good personal account of the life of a German Soldier with coverage before, during, and after the war.
djcb
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Title says it all -- German guy grows up in the 30s and ends up with Army Group North, which was fighting for Leningrad. From his own words, he seems to be against Nazism, yet willing to fight for his country. Unlike many, he actually survives the war. Moves to Canada/US with his wife. American dream; finds God etc.

Not to diminish the struggles he went through (let alone the struggles on "the other side"), as a book it wasn't really compelling. Which can happen of course, esp. with auto-biopics.
Michael Flanagan
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ww-2
As far as WWII German Soldier memoirs go this one was disappointing. It was more of a historic overview of the operation the author was involved in, without ever going into any great detail. For me a good memoirs puts me right there in the authors shoes, feeling what he is and seeing what he is, in this regard this book was a failure. While it was at times an entertaining read I found myself often wishing the book was over so I could move onto my next read. As an avid WWII consumer of books I fa ...more
Lew
This WWII memoir is pretty plain. What I actually found very interesting was Mr. Lubbeck description of growning up on a German farm in the twenties and thirties. I also found his story of his and wife's life was after the war. This book doesn't add much to the history of eastern front but it does add to the way rural life in Germany before the war. After the war, it talks about the difficulties of living in West Germany but the family farm was in East Germany.
Walt
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting to see the war from the point of view of a common German soldier. while he doesn't go into great detail on combat or operations just seeing the war from his perspective has greatly added to my knowledge and understanding if WWII. I also found his experience and perspective on immigrating yo America particularly interesting.
Cansalt
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What i liked about this book, is that this book is written by an average german soldier. I was very interested to see his experience and his honest insight into the period. I would like to thank the author and other people involved to bring this book to the shelves. 4 stars because i really enjoyed the book and i believe it is very honest, everyone should read this book.
Dan Lewis
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Paul Oberlin
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good read. I thought it was interesting that the author drew the parallels between how Germans viewed the military and pride in their country in the 1930's and 40's to how contemporary Americans feel about our military and country.
Eileen Tate
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I read this. It is the story of a German and little he really understood of Hitler and what was going on. Fascinating historical account.
Joshua O'connor
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-memoir
Excellent memoir from the German side of the War in the East.
Sergio
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A young man's journey thru a brutal war - no excuses made. When you read between the lines, a very honest and humble man, who would have not chosen to server in any army, appears.
Terry Foster
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot about a young man's exposure to and entrance into the Nazi party.
John
May 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box3, 1history
Good read. The story of a German soldier told first hand about serving on the Russian Front in WW2. Written in 2010 when he was in his late 80's.
Gerald Schrader
George Serebrennikov
Jan 04, 2013
Federico Peyrani
Jan 04, 2017

• Eastern Inferno: The Journals of a German Panzerjager on the Eastern Front, 1941-43
  • Panzer Ace: The Memoirs of an Iron Cross Panzer Commander from Barbarossa to Normandy
  • Until the Eyes Shut: Memories of a machine gunner on the Eastern Front, 1943-45
  • My Life in the Red Army (Annotated)
  • Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front
  • The Last Panther - Slaughter of the Reich - The Halbe Kessel 1945
  • Through Hell for Hitler
  • Against the Odds: Survival on the Russian Front 1944-1945
  • Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross
  • Twilight of the Gods: A Swedish Waffen-SS Volunteer's Experiences with the 11th SS-Panzergrenadier Division 'Nordland', Eastern Front 1944-45
  • D DAY Through German Eyes 2
  • Where Away: A Modern Odyssey
  • SS Panzer SS Voices (Eyewitness panzer crews) Books 1 & 2: Barbarossa to Berlin
  • Tiger Tracks - The Classic Panzer Memoir
  • Voices of the Waffen SS
  • Aluminum Rain: An exciting and accurate historical fiction account of air battles over the Pacific in WWII.: Thrilling Air Battles Over the Pacific in WWII. (The Watson Saga Book 1)
  • Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck