Start by marking “At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North” as Want to Read:
At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North

At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North

This is the remarkable story of a German soldier who fought throughout World War II, rising from conscript private to captain of a heavy weapons company on the Eastern Front. William Lubbeck, age 19, was drafted into the Wehrmacht in August 1939. As a member of the 58th Infantry Division, he received his baptism of fire during the 1940 invasion of France. The following spr ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Casemate (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about At Leningrad's Gates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Leningrad's Gates

Leftbanker
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Did Not Finish! I got tired of the character saying how he wasn't a Nazi how he thought Hitler was a big stinker. Of course, that's what he's going to say when writing for an American audience. What do you expect him to say? "Hitler made a lot of sense to me back then." While I enjoyed the perspective of his point of view, I couldn't take his careful rewriting of history.
Jill Kent
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good memoir.

This book is more of a general memoir. It is not real in depth or gritty, combat wise. it is more like a personal story telling of the 58th. division. If you are looking for detailed descriptions of combat on the Eastern Front, this book is not for you. the overall story is a good read and an excellent overview of life before, during and after the war.
Steve Adair
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great First Hand View of The German Army at the Russian Front

This a great first hand view of the German army at the Russian front. The descriptions of being in a foxhole with Russian aircraft bombing and strafing, artillery and mortar rounds exploding all around, and killing comrads and friends made me almost feel like I was in the foxhole. He offers a chilling description of the initial shock of see friends and comrades being killed and wounded.
djcb
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Title says it all -- German guy grows up in the 30s and ends up with Army Group North, which was fighting for Leningrad. From his own words, he seems to be against Nazism, yet willing to fight for his country. Unlike many, he actually survives the war. Moves to Canada/US with his wife. American dream; finds God etc.

Not to diminish the struggles he went through (let alone the struggles on "the other side"), as a book it wasn't really compelling. Which can happen of course, esp. with auto-biopics.
Michael Flanagan
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ww-2
As far as WWII German Soldier memoirs go this one was disappointing. It was more of a historic overview of the operation the author was involved in, without ever going into any great detail. For me a good memoirs puts me right there in the authors shoes, feeling what he is and seeing what he is, in this regard this book was a failure. While it was at times an entertaining read I found myself often wishing the book was over so I could move onto my next read. As an avid WWII consumer of books I fa ...more
Lew
This WWII memoir is pretty plain. What I actually found very interesting was Mr. Lubbeck description of growning up on a German farm in the twenties and thirties. I also found his story of his and wife's life was after the war. This book doesn't add much to the history of eastern front but it does add to the way rural life in Germany before the war. After the war, it talks about the difficulties of living in West Germany but the family farm was in East Germany.
Walt
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting to see the war from the point of view of a common German soldier. while he doesn't go into great detail on combat or operations just seeing the war from his perspective has greatly added to my knowledge and understanding if WWII. I also found his experience and perspective on immigrating yo America particularly interesting.
Jonathan
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: wwii
An ok memoir, not so much down in the nitty gritty of combat as most memoirs but written more as a general overview of his childhood, combat experiences, and post war life. Written honestly it feels, would be rated much higher if he had taken the time to give more personal details. Over all not a bad book though.
Cansalt
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What i liked about this book, is that this book is written by an average german soldier. I was very interested to see his experience and his honest insight into the period. I would like to thank the author and other people involved to bring this book to the shelves. 4 stars because i really enjoyed the book and i believe it is very honest, everyone should read this book.
Dan Lewis
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Paul Oberlin
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good read. I thought it was interesting that the author drew the parallels between how Germans viewed the military and pride in their country in the 1930's and 40's to how contemporary Americans feel about our military and country.
Eileen Tate
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I read this. It is the story of a German and little he really understood of Hitler and what was going on. Fascinating historical account.
Joshua O'connor
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-memoir
Excellent memoir from the German side of the War in the East.
Sergio
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A young man's journey thru a brutal war - no excuses made. When you read between the lines, a very honest and humble man, who would have not chosen to server in any army, appears.
Terry Foster
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot about a young man's exposure to and entrance into the Nazi party.
John
May 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box3, 1history
Good read. The story of a German soldier told first hand about serving on the Russian Front in WW2. Written in 2010 when he was in his late 80's.
Gerald Schrader
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front
  • Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front
  • Black Edelweiss
  • Eastern Inferno: The Journals of a German Panzerjäger on the Eastern Front, 1941-1943
  • Grenadiers: The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt "Panzer" Meyer (Stackpole Military History)
  • Tigers In The Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius