Start by marking “A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars” as Want to Read:
A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars

A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars

This superb historical atlas provides a comprehensive overview of the battles and campaigns of Napoleon Bonaparte between 1796 and 1815.
Published May 1st 1999 by Greenhill Books

Be the first to ask a question about A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars

Start your review of A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars
Erik
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh, there is nothing like sitting back and enjoying a fine book that meets every expectation you had before starting it.

Ok, ok... I haven't experienced that either. But, this book is pretty darn close to being exactly that kind of book. You read the title, and guess what? It is exactly that! Amazing! 5 Stars, right? Whoa... not so fast. I'm not that easy. You have to earn your stars with me.

Seriously though, this book is every bit of a 5 Star book. It does not pretend to be the Napoleonwiki
Gerry Leb
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This, along with Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon, is the best way to learn about Napoleon's campaigns. This book is actually a military textbook intended for careful study by cadets at West Point, the US military academy. Leaving aside the fact that Esposito nearly worships Napoleon, this is a model of usefulness and clarity in learning about how Napoleon succeeded - and failed - as a general and as a leader of the French.

The strength of the book are its maps. These are a model of clarity and
Rob Markley
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, napoleonic
I'm out of step with the majority here but I felt this was very poor. The maps were over generalised and the text was really the main part... however that standard was well below Chandler. Severely overrated at every level!
Ryan
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An immensely helpful resource for those studying and researching the Napoleonic era, especially if you're investigating the strategic and operational sides of the Emperor's campaigns. This contains a breathtaking collection of maps, and is one of the coolest books I own (With much gusto I can pore over this for hours).
Steve Smy
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would say that this has to be my favourite book of military maps. A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars by Vincent J Esposito and Colonel John R Elting, edited by John R Elting, is one of the finest works I’ve encountered on all the European battles in which Napoleon fought, between 1796 and 1815. The large maps are beautifully clear and illustrate the battles superbly, enabling anybody with an understanding of maps to appreciate the terrain that those battles were fought over. ...more
Marc Haegeman
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Obviously not the kind of book to read from A to Z, but even when only browsing and picking out some campaign or battle, it's hard to put down for anyone even vaguely interested in Napoleonic history. The maps are superb and the accompanying texts expertly written.
You will need extra space on your shelf but it's well worth the investment.
Peter Harrison
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, napoleon
Truly superb. This book is a must read for anyone interested in the campaigns of Napoleon. Each page is a map with explanatory text. The scholarship is superb. If there is a criticism it would be that the authors are clearly under the great man's spell. But I can forgive them this. A rich source of research and a wonderful book.
Rich
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you're a Napoleonic military history buff and a big map geek like me, you'll absolutely flip over this book. Putting a nice, like new copy of this classic reference on your bookshelf will cost you a nice chunk of change, but in my opinion, it's worth every penny.
Pierre Sabourin
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maps and strategy. A reference.
Iain
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic introduction and reference into the campaigns of Napoleon. No work yet published has better maps and the accompanying prose are top notch as well.
Gilbert
Jul 15, 2019
Martin Dawkins
Dec 01, 2018

• The Campaigns of Napoleon
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1)
  • History of the Peloponnesian War