Start by marking “Hua-Yen Buddhism: The Jewel Net of Indra” as Want to Read:
Hua-Yen Buddhism: The Jewel Net of Indra

Hua-Yen Buddhism: The Jewel Net of Indra

Hua-yen is regarded as the highest form of Buddhism by most modern Japanese and Chinese scholars. This book is a description and analysis of the Chinese form of Buddhism called Hua-yen (or Hwa-yea), Flower Ornament, based largely on one of the more systematic treatises of its third patriarch. Hua-yen Buddhism strongly resembles Whitehead's process philosophy, and has stron ...more
Published December 19th 1977 by Penn State University Press (first published March 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Hua-Yen Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hua-Yen Buddhism

Mike
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the Huayen vision, and this book is a lovely introduction to it.
Francis Cook, now an advanced Zen practitioner in his right, has presented a detailed and careful study which will serve anyone reading 'The Flower Ornament Sutra' or 'Buddhist Teachings of Totality'
Dc
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good slim read. Like all Buddhist emptiness books - quite technical, so will require repeated readings on my part in order to fully understand and absorb.

That being said, it's not overly confusing and their are some quite simple analogies which are easy to grasp.
Mary-Jean Harris
This was a comprehensive book about the philosophy of Hua-yen Buddhism. I really enjoyed it, and even though the philosophy can be confusing, it was explained clearly and in many different ways. The author also goes into the history of Hua-yen Buddhism and how it relates to Indian Buddhism, and also the ethical aspects of how a Bodhisattva should act in accordance with this view, as well as other people. It was very well written, and enjoyable to read. The concept of emptiness is also gone into ...more
Seth
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A clearly and beautifully written introduction to Huayan Buddhism. There are--unfortunately-- very few English language books accessible to the general reader devoted to Huayan philosophy, and even this book is hard to obtain. Pennsylvania State University Press no longer has it in print, and I was only able to get it in a hardcover edition through Sri Satgugu Publications in Delhi, India. The 1977 publication date means that the author was writing at a time when Western converts to Buddhism wer ...more
Jan van Leent
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is an introduction to the world view of a Chinese form of Buddhism – named Hua-yen (Flower Ornament) – with a fascinating philosophy describing our existence as infinite realms upon realms that mutually contain one another (The Jewel Net of Indra).
Within these realms, there exist infinitely intertwined universes wherein many, many Bodhisattvas and Buddhas - in the past, now and in the future - are involved.

Francis Cook’s book is an excellent introduction in the English language
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not for a novice--well, not for an intermediate for that matter. My rating might be unfair because I couldn't make heads or tails of most of the Buddhist theory in this book--there was always a feeling that it could be very profound indeed, but I could never quite figure it out...
Enso
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is probably the best and most straightforward English language introduction to Hua-yen thought.
T.
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhist-books
This stretched my brain and opened my heart - what more could I ask for?
Adam