Start by marking “Blood from Stones Blood from Stones Blood from Stones” as Want to Read:
Blood from Stones Blood from Stones Blood from Stones

Blood from Stones Blood from Stones Blood from Stones

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In the aftermath of 9/11, President Bush froze all terrorist assets in traditional financial institutions and money channels. But Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups have long followed a diversification strategythat has rendered the crackdown by the U.S. and other governments almost useless." Blood from Stones "is the first book to uncover, through on-the-ground reporting, ...more
Published May 4th 2004 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Blood from Stones Blood from Stones Blood from Stones

Marieke
I haven't finished this book. It's very short and I'm stalled very near the end. I borrowed it from work and it was "due" today...so I "returned" it, which means I now have it on an internal loan and cannot take it out of the building. Maybe I'll finish reading it in my office.

Even though I haven't finished it, I've decided to give it three stars. Maybe i'll change that later if I ever finish it. I am giving it three stars because while it began to get on my nerves and I became ever more annoyed
Brian
Douglas Farah was not the first person to write about the conflict diamond trade but he was the first one to make the US government pay attention. His discovery that Al Qaeda was funneling their dollars for conflict diamonds so that the bush (not the president) wars could continue. This is truly one of the most horrifying operations occurring in the US where what can only be described as evil is profiting on all sides. It is an easy to read book with an important message. For those who want to l ...more
David
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Washington Post Book Review
Shelves: read-history
Maybe it's hard to understand the entire war on terror but this book illuminates an interesting corner of it. It's a good book for people who are interested in big issues but also need to have some concrete details. As other reviews have said, it's not too long and good journalism, showing amazing things that the bad guys have got away with. Unfortunately, the sort of people who buy diamonds for fun or profit are unlikely to read or be influenced by this book.
Cole
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research
Very interesting expose on the tentacles of terrorist financing into Africa. I knew a little bit about the subject before, but this book enlightened me on details. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the history of modern terrorism finance.
Scott
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reading to understanding the financial networks of terrorists. You wouldn't believe half the stuff they get away with. Easy to read and not too long. It almost scared me to think the links he made may still exist.
Jcdavison
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political, economics
outstanding again. Farah is a great dense, informative writer who does a very good job communicating situations of different context, geography and topic into coherence.
Mick
Ben Turner
Nov 28, 2008
Marc
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a great look into the financial workings of al-Qaeda.
Anastassia