Start by marking “The Moon Was the Best” as Want to Read:
The Moon Was the Best

The Moon Was the Best

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"Here is Paris presented as a series of memories by a parent who understands that 'the special things' to share with a child are not always the attractions featured in the guidebooks....The photographs...are gorgeous....The understated narrative complements but never distracts from the visual feast....An eyeful of delight."--Horn Book.
Published May 27th 1993 by Greenwillow Books (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Moon Was the Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon Was the Best

Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I like many of her other children's books. It seemed like she wrote this book after she got home fro vacation in Paris and wanted to do something with her snap shots. I'm not sure what age child this would appeal to.
Kora Kaos
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A perfect declaration of love for Paris, written and designed with so much love! I love the art noveau border lines and ornaments.
I thought that this book was well written. It included repetition on each page which is a good literary technique for students with emerging literacy. The book included photographs instead of illustrations which gave readers an idea for what each memory was really like. The title seemed to be a bad fit for the book until the end of the book when the mother's favorite memory was revealed. The book has a deeper meaning than most books for children.
"Once a mother and father were going to Paris. 'Remember the special things to tell me,' said the little girl, 'the things I'd like if I were there.' So the mother remembered." This photo essay (Tana Hoban's photos are always lovely) is a wonderful collection of the little things that one person knows another will love.
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Tonight my daughter pulled this book off of her bookshelf, saved as one of the all time favorite picture books in our family, and exclaimed that she wanted to take it with her to camp next week! Words cannot express!!!! The moon, indeed, will be the best!
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: everybody-books
A girl's parents go to Paris and tell her the things they saw while they were there. There are photographs to go with descriptions.
Themes -- Paris, being away from parents
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
The photographs were the best.
Oct 29, 2009
Sep 24, 2010
Theodore Ashford
Dec 24, 2016
Feb 28, 2014
Charlotte Zolotow (born Charlotte Gertrude Shapiro) was an American author, poet, editor, and publisher of many books for children.
She was published by more than 20 different houses (many of which she has outlasted). She was an editor, and later publisher, at Harper & Row, which was called Harper & Brothers when she began to work there and is now known as HarperCollins.
Among the many write
More about Charlotte Zolotow...