Start by marking “The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)

The Stranger from the Sea

(The Poldark Saga #8)

Cornwall, 1810-1811

Stephen Carrington's arrival in the Poldark household changes all their lives. For Clowance and Jeremy in particular, the children of Ross and Demelza, Stephen's advent is the key to a new world—one of both love and danger. This novel is set in early 19th-century Cornwall.
Published June 1st 2008 by Pan Macmillan (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger from the Sea, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Fiona
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Gayleag They are still around...a lot of filler information of what has transpired within the last 10 years. I wish the guy had not jumped 10 stinking years…moreThey are still around...a lot of filler information of what has transpired within the last 10 years. I wish the guy had not jumped 10 stinking years but it is what it is. His writing is such that you still find yourself still in Cornwall and get used to thinking of these characters as older...still in love though, which is great!(less)

Candi
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Save a stranger from the sea, and he will turn your enemee." - Old Cornish saying

In Book 8 of what is one of my favorite series of all time (in close running with Mary Stewart’s Merlin series), a stranger is rescued from the sea and inserts himself into the lives of the Poldarks. This handsome young man, to my surprise, is quickly accepted by the inhabitants of the surrounding close-knit communities. He is amiable, daring, a bit of a ladies’ man, and rather mysterious. Can we and the people of
Helen White
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Let's be clear this was still good but for me more of a struggle. Two problems - it's all about the kids; Jeremy, Clowance, Valentine etc and there's a lot of social history. The first half is Napoleon and politics the second half is steam engines. I miss all the miners and minor characters like Zacky and Jud and Drake and Sam. Plus I don't like Stephen Carrington - he can go straight back in the sea.
Diane Barnes
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The year is 1811, twelve years after the action in book seven, and along with the changes of a new century, changes abound in the Poldark family. Ross and Demelza have settled into a mature marriage, and while they still love each other passionately, the fiery jealousy and emotions of their younger years have quieted. Now they are also the parents of grown children, Jeremy and Clowance, along with 8 year old Isabella. As with all parents, they watch them make mistakes in love and life, without b ...more
Sara
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Eight of the Poldark Series, The Stranger from the Sea takes place ten years after Book Seven, The Angry Tide. I was concerned that this would mean an abrupt transition from the story of Ross and Demelza to that of the next generation. I have had this happen with other sagas and found it disconcerting. Not to fear, Winston Graham knows precisely how to tell a story with continuity and progress mixed in perfect proportions.

Life has continued apace since we left Ross at a moment of sadness, b
KOMET
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I had had some recollections of the PBS Poldark Series when it was on TV back in the 1970s. But beyond that, I did not know anything else about Ross Poldark and his family. That is, until I read this novel, the first of the series for me.

In this novel, Winston Graham provides rich character sketches of Clowance and Jeremy, two of the Poldark children. Clowance is a free-spirited, sensitive, yet sober-minded kind of young lady. You see her becoming acquai
Tanya
"Save a stranger from the sea and he will turn your enemee."
The Stranger from the Sea (book 8 of the Poldark saga) begins ten years after book 7, The Angry Tide, ended. Life has continued for our familiar inhabitants of Cornwall. Children have grown and more children have been born and the author cleverly catches us up on all the occurences by a chance reunion and conversation in Portugal on the eve of a battle between French and British forces. My knowledge of historic events during this time p
Lori
Andrew
Unlike the previous books, this one does not start in the year the year the last one finished. It opens a decade later, in 1810. The first chapters are set not in Cornwall, but find Ross in Portugal where he is once again fighting in a war. This time it is against the French army led by Napoleon.

He meets up with Geoffrey Charles, son of Elizabeth. On the eve of a battle.

In Cornwall the story opens with widower George wooing Harriet. Clowance is now in her late teens.

This, the 8th in the series m
Jeanne Johnston
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more about the kids than anything. Jeremy is obsessed with steam and a girl he can't have. I suspect he'll become famous for the first train or horseless carriage in the end. Clowance (ugh, that name...) has suitors from every walk of life, including Stephen from the title, who just makes me uncomfortable in every way. Something slippery and unreliable about him, and there was a little throwaway line from Dwight Enys about rescuing a man from sea, he'd soon become your "enemee." No doubt ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8), Winston Graham
Marilyn
SPOILER ALERT!

This book was a gross disappointment after the other delightful Poldark books, mainly because:

a. it focuses too much on war and especially politics; and
b. it leaves out so many characters we've come to love.

After all the time spent on Drake in past books, we get a one liner that he and Morwenna are living away, have one child (guess she got over being touched), and work in Ross' boatyard? And Sam has wooed and won Rosina Hoblyn, but that's about all we hear about them? Almost noth
Tasha
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a favorite but I definitely plan on continuing. I found it to be somewhat boring compared to the others in the series but shouldn't be skipped because there are stories being laid that I'm sure will become more interesting in the next book, at least I hope so. ;)
Cindy
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I cannot quit the Poldarks!
Jamie Collins
3.5 stars. Although this book marks a significant transition to the younger generation of Poldarks and Warleggans, there’s still a satisfying number of pages with Ross and Demelza and George Warleggan.

It’s 1810 and the king’s madness has returned. There is rampant speculation that a Regency will bring about a change of government and an immediate end to the war. Warleggan is one of the speculators, and his unwise investment marks one of the few times we see him stumble.

Warleggan is a bastard, b
Stephanie
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoying this series. I would have given this 3.5 if I could. Definitely setting the stage for upcoming events. Love these characters! So well developed.
Rick Slane
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
The industrial revolution begins surrounded by "soap-opera" like plot lines.
Suz
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, audio
It's all new content for me as book 7 seemed to catch up with where the TV show is now. I found myself stopping and replaying things often because I didn't want to miss any of it.

This book jumps ahead 10 years, though, so the grown characters is an interesting change.
Mrs Kelly Benning
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another winner! This time we delve into the lives of Jeremy and Clowance, Ross and Demelza's older children. Jeremy is now 19, Clowance 17, and they are experiencing life as people on the brink of adulthood. I absolutely adore the warm, friendly relationships that the children have with their parents. I'm so tired of the worn-out trope of the angst-ridden, rebellious, misunderstood teen with the parent who is either distant (or not distant enough), oblivious, unloving, or just plain stupid. It's ...more
Mech
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nooilforpacifists
Clearly a "set-up" for events to come, this book hops over a decade or so to start the stories of the second generation. To be fair, after the ending of the near-perfect book seven, I fully understand that temptation. Yet -- although most of the previous characters still are around -- the personalities of the children need to work up a head of "steam" before any of them become quite as distinct.

As a result, only one thing of consequence (brilliantly slipping Ross into early 19th Century high po
Cynthia  Scott
Very good continuation of the saga of these Cornwall families. Story begins ten years after the prior book in the series so the second generation family members are the center characters. Very good background of the history of the late days of the Napoleonic wars too.
Pat
Difficult read for me. Too many new characters introduced without continuity from the previous book IMO.
 ☆Ruth☆
I found this particular volume rather flat.... nothing of really lasting significance happens, which left me wondering "what was the point?" There's also a lot of technical discussion about boilers, steam engines and pumping machines, which I wasn't particularly interested in and didn't understand anyway!
However as always Graham's superb writing skills and his ability to bring a distant period of history to vibrant life, kept me turning the pages and I am looking forward to continuing the saga
Annette
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the last Poldark book, I could see why Winston Graham finished the series. When he picks up the story- 8 years later, Jeremy and Cowlance are in their young adults and there is another Poldark child, Isabella Rose.
Ross and Demelza are settled into their lives and they watch with concern and pride as their two oldest children begin to make their way in the world.

The story was a bit clunky at first as Graham picked up the threads after years away from the Poldark's story, but it finally fou
Anniek
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Again a wonderful novel in the Poldark-series! At the beginning I had a little difficulty coming into the story, because a period of 10 years had to be covered. To the end however the story took me completely and I can't wait to read the next book!
Lindsey
Ahh this is my least favorite in the series so far, just because it was 80% war political commentary and 20% typical Cornish drama. I was a bit disappointed about the transition from the last book and it’s shocking death ending and the minor mention of it in the big time jump in this one.
Barbara Peters
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
number 8 in the poldark series. Ross and Demelza are growing up, as are their children. The book is more about them and coming of age of the steam powered engines.
Just arrived from Germany through BM.

This is the eighth book of Poldgark's saga.

Stephen Carrington is The Stranger from the Sea who gives the title of this book and Jeremy Poldgark rescues him in a dramatic way.

Apart from that, the author describes the second generation of the Poldgark family, namely Clowance and Jeremy, two of the Poldgark grown up children and the beginning of their adulthood.

Clowance falls in love by Stephen Carrington whereas Cuby Trevanion attracts Jeremy.

After have recentl
Janna Wong
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poldark
Yes, I love Poldark -- the show and the books -- so I profess my bias. But this book, No. 7 in the 12-book series, was adventurous, fun, stressful and entertaining. Our beloved Ross and Demelza are older now so the book shifts to the experiences of their two older children, Jeremy and Clowance. Jeremy has been sneaking off to "fish" many days in the week, to Ross' consternation that he has raised a "flippant" young man. What he does not know and what Jeremy doesn't tell him is that Jeremy and hi ...more
Mimi
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel jumps ahead ten years from the previous one in the series and focuses on the next generation of Poldarks and Warleggans. It introduces a new character - Stephen Carrington, aka the stranger from the sea. He appears to be rather sleazy and makes me feel rather uncomfortable at how he has insinuated himself into the Poldark family. What is his story?

Clowance is now of a marriageable age and we see her various suitors. I was disappointed to learn that Valentine has turned into a rather
Poldark Saga - Wi...: New characters introduced in this book 8 64 Dec 24, 2017 10:42AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Change in Tone? 1 41 Dec 08, 2015 07:36AM
Poldark Saga discussion group 1 8 Nov 24, 2015 12:10PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 1 57 Oct 09, 2015 08:40AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Favorites 16 46 Oct 08, 2015 07:33AM
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)
  • The Lost Prince: The Survival of Richard of York
  • My Enemy's Tears: The Witch of Northampton
  • London: The Autobiography
  • Elizabeth of York: The Forgotten Tudor Queen
  • The Story of English: How an Obscure Dialect Became the World's Most-Spoken Language
  • When Knighthood Was in Flower
  • White Rose Turned to Blood (We Speak No Treason, #2)
  • God's Traitors: Terror & Faith in Elizabethan England
  • The Flowers of the Field
  • The Poison Tree (Morland Dynasty, #17)
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason. The Secret Wars against the Tudors
  • Beyond Recall
  • The women of Eden (Eden #4)
  • Mist Over Pendle
  • The Telling
  • The Complete Midshipman Bolitho: Richard Bolitho, Midshipman, Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger & Band of Brothers
  • Hidden Lives: A Family Memoir
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (FRSL) and in 1983 was invested ...more

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)
“People who brag of their ancestors are like root vegetables. All their importance is underground.” 4 likes
“Children in their youth blossomed and bloomed; then chance, inclination, heredity all played their part” 1 likes