Start by marking “The Executor” as Want to Read:
The Executor

The Executor (Vertigo Crime)

3.12  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
THE EXECUTOR is the story of Joseph, a retired pro athlete, who returns to his hometown in upstate New York when he's named executor of his high-school sweetheart's will. In a search to find out what really happened to Miriam following her mysterious death, Joseph is confronted with his own illicit past and the possibility that the two are connected.
Published May 25th 2010 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Executor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Executor

Quentin Wallace
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another good one from Vertigo Crime. I almost think this one may have been hurt by being a graphic novel because this story could have really made a great prose novel and probably reached a larger audience. However, the art is very nice so that's a plus.

Set on an Indian reservation, this is a grim story that deals with some pretty serious subject matter. Dark secret after dark secret is slowly exposed, and the story twists and turns to a satisfying and explosive conclusion.

This is one of the gr
Tobin
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A gritty crime yarn. I just couldn't pass it up when I saw it on the library shelf. It's Vertigo Crime! The imprint hasn't let me down yet.

I gave it an 8/10 on my personal scale.

-tpl
George
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Εφόσον έμεινα απόλυτα ικανοποιημένος από την πρώτη ιστορία της σειράς Vertigo Crime που διάβασα (Area 10), προμηθεύτηκα άλλα δυο βιβλιαράκια, το The Executor που μόλις τελείωσα και το The Chill που θα διαβάσω σύντομα, με συνολικό κόστος δέκα ευρώ. Και το δεύτερο με άφησε απόλυτα ικανοποιημένο, μιας και η ιστορία ήταν άκρως ενδιαφέρουσα και συναρπαστική και το σχέδιο πολύ καλό.

Πως έχει η ιστορία: Ο Joe Ullen έκανε μια σχετικά μεγάλη καριέρα σαν παίκτης του χόκεϊ στο NHL, αν και προερχόταν από μια
Erik
Nov 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Yet another notch in Vertigo Crime’s nascent line of graphic novels that explore a well-trodden genre that never fails to captivate. Mutti may not be the best artist, in my layman’s opinion, for this riveting and sordid tale of a long-ago series of crimes that haunt Joe Ullen, a former pro-hockey player who becomes the titular executor of his late high school girlfriend. Yet Evans’ plot bends in such a way to deliver a wallop when the secrets behind his ex-girlfriend’s recent death – some twenty ...more
Colin Birge
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At its best, The Executor reminds me of Andrew Vachss' "Two Trains Running" and "The Getaway Man," noir-driven stories of small towns with deadly secrets. Andrea Mutti's art is dark, lush, and perfectly suited for the tale. Jon Evans' script betrays a few Canadian touches (a retired pro hockey player as small-town hero?) and starts a bit slowly for a thriller, but ramps up very quickly. His dialog is believable and interesting without being mannered or staccato, and his outsider's perspective on ...more
Jason Seaver
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-read
The newest selection from "Vertigo Crime" is a tight, suspenseful noir comic set against the backdrop of a small town next to an Indian reservation. It does the job well: Quick set-up, story that hints at something bad and winds up getting worse. The art is clean, using gray scales rather than the stark black-and-white of some of the other books in the line.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love 'fish out of water' situations that place individuals in situations they never dreamed they would be in. Someone you cared about in the past names you executor of their will...simple, right? Put this one on your 'to read while passing out candy' list for this Halloween!
Desiree
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Intriguing tale! Things take an exciting turn when the protagonist returns home to execute a will... Recommended for crime graphic novel readers!
Steve
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A tight crime thriller with very clean art that helps the storytelling a great deal. Fast-paced with lots of twists and turns. One of the best Vertigo Crime books yet.
Josh
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Certainly the strongest of the Vertigo Crime books I've read so far. This is especially true in the art department, and I hope to see more from Andrea Mutti soon.
Helena R-D
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brutal and gripping and all too familiar when it comes to bad blood between small towns and their secrets.
Adam
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
One if the better Vertigo Crime books. Better than Area 10 even.
Nikmaack
Nov 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
I decided to check out the Vertigo Crime graphic novels because one of them was cheesy but fun. Others have been god awful. Two looked so bad I didn't even bother trying to read them after the first few pages.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Are they aiming for a depth comics just can't reach? Or is it just that the stories they're aiming for are too complex for a comic book of such few pages?

With this particular novel, I eventually found myself skimming. I just wanted it to be over. When the
Trisha
This is the first graphic novel I've ever read, so keep that in mind.

Frankly, the writing was like a slice of swiss cheese: full of holes. Not holes in plot but holes in story in general.

Also, the illustration left a lot to be desired. While the artist was good with nature and dark imagery, she wasn't able to draw women very well. They all looked like men. Except when boobs were present.

Still, the story caught me toward the end, so that's why it gets 2 stars instead of 1.
Derek
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I honestly feel that this story might have been better served as a regular novel and not a graphic one. The characters are interesting and the story is compelling, but I think the graphic format short-changes the readers on the motivations and backgrounds of several characters, which would have deepened and improved the overall product.

When the title character is informed he's the executor of an old girlfriend's estate, he goes back to his old home town
Nick
Part of the Vertigo Crime series in a nice hardcover binding.

The book starts off with an odd twist, as a man is drawn back to the small town of his childhood by an odd request. His high school girlfriend has died and left a request that he be named executor of her estate. Since he hadn't seen her or heard from her in years, it seemed odd and sentimental, but as he fulfills her will it turns into something else.

For the most part, the story was good, and a truly interesting noir story with lots of
Nicole Romine
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
There are some very unsettling and dark plot lines in "The Executor," from Vertigo's graphic mystery series. Despite the disturbing narrative, I was not engaged in the story. This is probably the result of the graphic novel's dialogue and art, both of which was stiff. A slightly disappointing read.
Stien
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
William Thomas
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Written and paneled like a poorly edited low budget 80's thriller. Nothing special, but not the bottom of the barrel either. Just poor execution.
David
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Digging these Vertigo crime graphic novels. This one was solid. Intense subject matter. Read it in one sitting.
Jennopenny
Really enjoyed the art work. The plot line not so much. Glad I read it though.
Brendan Howard
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Scalped, modern noir, and minimalist dialogue
Shelves: comic-books
A good contemporary thriller of a graphic novel.
Michael Bacon
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Well-told but not particularly unique crime story.
Ryan
  • The Green Woman
  • Artichoke Tales
  • You Have Killed Me
  • The Last Days of American Crime
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London (Sherlock Holmes et les Vampires de Londres #1-2)
  • Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge
  • Why I Hate Saturn
  • George Sprott, 1894-1975

Vertigo Crime (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dark Entries