Start by marking “Two Ways to Count to Ten: A Liberian Folktale” as Want to Read:
Two Ways to Count to Ten: A Liberian Folktale

Two Ways to Count to Ten: A Liberian Folktale

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The noted actress retells this lively, well-paced and involving version of a Liberian folktale.
Published March 15th 1990 by Square Fish (first published June 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Two Ways to Count to Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Ways to Count to Ten

Chessie Folan
This Liberian Folktale that is retold by Ruby Dee is an entertaining story as well as a math lesson. King leopard is looking for the next king amongst the animals of the jungle and only the cleverest will win. The illustrations of this picture book by Susan Meddaugh are detailed drawings of the many animals that live in the jungle.
Emma
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is appropriate for first to third grade. The wise and powerful King Leopard was trying to figure out who was the cleverest beast to rule after he dies. All types of beasts sang and danced in front of the king and his daughter, as well as throwing spears up in the air (and not coming down before they finish counting to ten) to compete for show of strength. Finally, an antelope attempts at throwing the spear, counting 2-4-6-8-10, and the King declared that he won as he demonstrated that ...more
Nicole
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Liberian folk tale about a dying king who needs to find a worthy successor. The next in line to become king must count to ten before the spear hits the ground. Great for use in math lessons when concentration on counting to ten different ways. Hint: there are more than two ways to count to ten.

Ages 4-8.

Lesson Plan for Two Ways to Count to Ten

Name:____Ashley Ashley____ Date:__April 30, 2006__ Age/Grade Level:___5th Grade__

# of Students:_20_ # of IEP Students:_0_ # of GSSP Students:_0_ # of LEP S
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal reaction: I didn't like this book very much until the end, but once we got to the end and there was a twist, I thought it was great! I originally picked this book because it is a Liberian folktale and I know two little boys who were adopted from Liberia. I also picked it because I assumed from the title that it would be about counting to ten in two different languages. I thought this would be a good book to show that there isn't a wrong way to do it, just different ways. I was actually ...more
Chanelle
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, science
I think this is an awesome book for students to think about different ways to a number. In this particular book, the leopard wanted to make sure that his daughter had someone to rule with her by her side when he was no longer around. He decided to hold a contest to see which animal of the wild could hold up to his expectations. Their task was to be able to throw a spear in the air and count to ten. If the spear lasted in the air for ten seconds then that animal would be king. None of the animals ...more
Bailey Scales
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Two Ways to Count to Ten is a Liberian Folktale. This folk tale would be a great a read aloud for a classroom of first graders or second graders. I would ask for a handful of volunteers to act out the story and do a readers theater. Students would be able to get into character and have fun learning the moral of the story. I enjoyed this folk tale because it displayed the importance of cleverness and how to think outside the box. I also was able to connect the animals to Liberian culture and thei ...more
Camille
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Another story I found to use in the Umigo program, but probably for an older group of kids than I'm getting. In order to find a husband for his daughter, the king leopard challenges suitors to count to 10 before the leopard's spear falls back to ground after being thrown. Who will win? Will it be by strength or mathematical wits?
I also think this is great for adapting for reader's theatre or storytelling.
Jana
This is a fun story about a leopard who is king of the jungle. As he gets older he tries to figure out who will be his successor. He has a contest, and the winner will be able to marry his daughter and become prince. The winner has to be able to throw a spear up in the air and count to ten before it falls back to the ground.
Audrey
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a cute folktale that would be a good introduction mini lesson to skip counting. You could read this and go over the different ways to count to 10 with your students. Then you could ask them how high and quickly they can count with skip counting. You could also bring out a number board and see if students notice any patterns when skip counting.
Amanda Harrison
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
This book is an African Fairytale that I hadn't previously read in a different version. The story is about a king who is looking for an animal to be prince and then king of the jungle. The animals must vie with each other in order to see who will be king. The final winner is an animal that is not strong, but who is clever, and who can count by 2's.
Roshunda Harris
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural, math
This is a Liberian folktale about a King who is dying. In order to appoint a successor they must count to ten before the spear hits the ground. This is a great book to introduce skip counting in math.
Irina
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
This book is about animals who are having a contest on who can count to ten the fastest. One of them is clever and counts to ten by twos. This book is great when introducing the concept of counting by twos.
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folktale
This is a good book. It teachss students how to use their how to think trhrough riddles. It's a cute story about who can through a spear in the air and count to ten before the spear comes back down. Only one animal is clever enough to get to ten before the spear comes back down.
Amanda
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Amanda by: Everyday Math
A nice folktale story about animals competing to be king by having to count to ten before the spear they've thrown lands. While they all believe they have to be the strongest, the winner is the cleverest (who counts by twos). Fun to share with my math-loving son.
Joe Ahern
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a cleaver way for the author to incoperate animals, which most children like, with learning how to count. A good way to start children on learning to count. nicley illustrated as well.
Nancy
Jul 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Storytellers / Teachers / Children
A wonderful book to use for storytelling. A clever story on how to test for the next king of the jungle.
Ebono1
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, counting
good book to help children with their counting. Also uses animals as reference and children are able to use them in relating their counting.
Camille Tesch
i dont have a review
Nicole Sandford
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-books
Very clever counting to ten by two's. Grade 2.
Cheyenne
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for teaching skip counting.
Shelly Lindsey
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-lessons
This book helps students learn how to count while incoperating animals.
Dennis