Start by marking “The Secret: What Great Leaders Know -- And Do” as Want to Read:
The Secret: What Great Leaders Know -- And Do

The Secret: What Great Leaders Know -- And Do

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  1,107 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
In the now classic business fable, The Secret, Debbie, a struggling leader finds herself about to lose her job due to poor performance. In a desperate attempt to save her career, she enrolls in a new mentoring program offered by her company. Much to her surprise, Debbie finds her mentor is the president of the company (Jeff Brown). Debbie decides that all she needs is the ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret

Ayan
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017, hosa
*4.5 stars*

This book was different from any non-fiction book I've read. This book had a"story-telling" element which made it really fun to read. Also it made me feel close to the characters in the book. Like when Debbie was continually growing as a leader I felt so proud!

I also liked the meetings Debbie had with John, and the Q&A feel made me learn more about what it means to be leader and etc.

So I really liked this book! And I liked how it was short and got to the point.

Jane
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Here’s one thing I loved immediately about this book. It is business wisdom told through a story. I read a lot of books, 95% of them being non-fiction. I rarely read novels, but opening up a book by co-authors Mark Miller and Ken Blanchard provides the substance of a factual learning tool, presented with the appeal of a story we can all relate to. Meet Debbie Brewster, an executive in search of becoming a great leader. As a participant in a mentoring program Debbie quickly learns that there’s a ...more
Reid
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed the following comments from an Amazon review:
This is the story of Debbie, a struggling and a failing leader, who learns the lessons of management from her Boss. Miserable with her poor performance, the character of Ken's Book, joins the Mentor Program offered by her company and incidentally, Jeff, the president of the company happens to be the trainer. She thoroughly undergoes the training sessions where she realise her mistakes. She is taught to be a 'Serving Leader' rather than a 's
C.G.
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-book-list
Told in the form of a story, Miller and Blanchard explain the ideas behind SERVE - the acronym for the five steps that will help change you from a self-serving leader, to a serving leader. It's simple, but effective, and in essence, it's exactly what Jesus Christ exemplified during his 33 years on earth - to be great, you must first be a servant. As a long-time fan of John C. Maxwell (who also wrote the Forward for The Secret), I'm happy to be able to add a new author to my leadership shelf.
Gabe Wood
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help-sales
Hahaha a serious copy cat of Leadership and self deception. I mean, the high level boss takes an interest in a lowly team manager and shows them how to be a true leader. Its a story format. Even though it wasn't very original, I think that this is a great format to teach skills by. easy to listen to and inspiring that it could really happen.
Main idea:
Great leader adopt and attitude of service. mainly 5 difference ways via this acronym:

S- See the future. help the people they lead see the destinat
Kalee
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read leaderships book often, especially by my own choice, but each time I read one, I can't help but think,"Why don't I read these more often?" This book was truly engaging and full of knowledge, yet short enough that I read it easily in one sitting. The SERVE method was easy to memorize and relate to, and although, of course, I won't be able to implement all of the ideas in this book immediately as a simple fix to leadership issues, it has provided a sound basis for self-improvement and ...more
Phattranitt Saphu
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ความลับ 5 ขอของคนทีประสบความสำเรจสูงสุด ซึงทังทรงพลัง เรียบงาย และอยูใกลตัวจนคาดไมถึง แคลองนำไปใช ไมเพียงแคคุณจะกาวไปไดไกลกวาคนอืน แตยังดึงดูดโอกาสดี ๆ ใหหลังไหลเขามาในชีวิตอีกดวย " และคุณจะพบวา ความสำเรจนันอยูใกลแสนใกล....แคใตจมูก " ...more
Home Court
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Book was absolutely remarkable. Although I've finished reading it, yet I still find myself going back to it as a reference!!!
Erin Truax
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and easy to relate to. Great information that I can take to my own team.
Lisa Achilles
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-150
As is common with Blanchard, this is an easy read with concrete principles and a memorable acronym.
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful book. Great for those who are in a leadership position or want to be.
Theresa Romero
This is definitely an introductory read in the 'business/leadership' field, but it has many great nuggets of wisdom!
I enjoyed the flow of te storyline and how relatable it was to any person within the professional field.
I would give this book to someone that is entry-level in the (any) business and who wants to grow in leadership and in the field.

It's an easy read that does not have too much jargon terms.
Fernanda
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esto más que un libro es un panfleto informativo para leer en una hora. Es el primer libro que leo con tintes de apoyo hacia alguna posición empresarial, realmente no sabía que esperar, pero al ser un libro demasiado simple con un objetivo bien enfocado y bien empleado, ha sido entretenido.

En general es muy directo, no da rodeos y las maneras de ejercer liderazgo son muy generales, pero creo que puede crear importantes pilares en la formación de una cultura de liderazgo, y si ya se tienen las b
affinozta
The Secret. Bukan cerita tentang pelaku tabrak lari yang dibikin rumit. Bukan, kalo itu Secret korean drama *barbie gagal fokus*.

Daripada buku motivasi, lebih tepat disebut novel motivasi. Tiap babnya adalah lanjutan cerita dari bab sebelumnya, sambung-menyambung, saling merangkai hingga menjadi sebuah cerita utuh dalam satu buku. Dipungkasi dengan ringkasan, poin-poin penting dari masing-masing judul cerita.

The Secret ini buku yang menceritakan tentang perjalanan Debbie Brewster --seorang pemim
Justin
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Justin by: Mark Miller (co-author)
Shelves: q12008
Johnny
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book can be read in one sitting. The story is memorable and close to home for every individual looking to become a great leader. What I like the most about the book is how it is centered on learning the meaning of the phrase "GREAT LEADERS SERVE".

Even months after reading the book, I still remember what S.E.R.V.E stands for.

If you are looking for a step by step guide, this book is not for you. What this book accomplishes is giving you enough material in a very simple thought provoking manner
Ivar Ima
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book for team leaders. Simple style like the One Minute Manager books.
I have given away many copies of this book.
Elizabeth
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book I mistook for the Book that Oprah highlighted. It is NOT the same. It is a good book with valuable information but not the same as the other. I have yet to read the other one still. Which I plan to still do. This book emphasies service to suceed in what ever it is you are trying to accomplish. As stated in the description found on good reads. The five ways in which leaders can succeed through service are seeing and shaping the future; engaging and developing others; reinventing continu ...more
Shea Schrepf
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great elementary introduction to leadership, and was typically immediately the book I gave to all my management potential trainees as we begin to consider them for positions of leadership.
Nada
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read-books
The Secret that great leaders know and do is that "Great leaders SERVE." Originally written a decade ago in 1994, this book by Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller presents the idea of servant leadership in an easy and quick to read package. The ideas are not new, but the book effectively packages them into a clear vision. While written for a business audience, the approach can certainly be applied in other parts of your life as well.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015...

R
Chris
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read...short little "fable" about what true leadership really looks like and how one can become a great leader. This book is as practical as it is encouraging, in that it's a great reminder that anyone can learn to be a leader...even though not everyone has the natural gift of leadership. True, some will fail at leadership and some will not want to be a leader in the true sense of the word, but with the right heart and mindset, achieving leadership "success" is a reachable (and worthwhile) ...more
Lindsay Fouts
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Lots of good points about servant leadership.

See the Future
Engage and Develop Others
Reinvent Continuously
Value Results and Relationships
Embody the Values (it is all about walking the talk!)

I liked the reinvent section, not just continuous improvement for yourself and your staff. Having the structure of the organization be flexible to serve the company instead of the other way around.

Some examples of servant leaders were given in the book: Nelson Mandela, Jesus, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Jim
Steve Schick
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first review on here, so be nice. :) The Secret is not your ordinary leadership book. It doesn't have lists of definitions and procedures to remember. Instead, it is written as a short story with characters. This is important because people are captivated more by characters than by lists. The authors do a great job explaining there leadership philosophy through the use of the short story.
Chantal Bechervaise
This book stands the test if time and is a gem in the realm of leadership books. Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller provide clear and concise information and principles that you can take and put into practice right away. This updated version with the self-assessment and FAQ have improved upon an already great book. If you take what is in this book and apply it to the way you lead, you will see a dramatic change in the way others respond to you.
Mike
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very quick and easy read. Great great concept of a story on how influential and effective you can be as a leader when you are patient with people, and realize they are your greatest asset in business, and in life. I enjoyed this read, and believe it's one you read a few times a year just to be reminded of the "People first, Processes second" mindset. "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."
Anne Lawrence
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What our Office Leadership will be reading & discussing

Loved this book. It gave me an outline to measure my skills and where I am lacking. It also gave me ideas and ways to improve my skills and reach my potential. I want too be a servant leader and this book provides the tools and guidance to do so.
Abbey Ables
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First bought this as an audiobook. The concept in this book is easy to grasp esp that it's in a story format. I love "the secret" so I used it to set foundations and direction at work. My boss and colleagues were impressed. I ordered the actual book after listening to the audio because I want to pursue the lessons. Highly recommended for those aspiring to be great leaders.
Clint
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was another brick to my patch in enrolling at Grand Canyon University for my EMBA in leadership. Ken Blanchard was the executive sponsor and spent time with my Cohort (14!) at our three residencies at the Blanchard campuses in San Diego. I will always cherish my time spent at the Blanchard residence with Ken and Margie.
TarasProkopyuk
На первый взгляд эта книга немного примитивная и банальная. Но в ней собраны наиболее важные принципы и основы такой сложной и обширной темы как лидерство.

Для тех кто только начинает знакомиться с данной тематикой книга станет хорошим путеводителем, а тем кто хорошо знаком с ней поможет оценить свои знания и сделать полезные выводы.
Ivo Stoykov
I'm quoted from Foreword because I cannot find better way to describe it:
"When I learned that Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller had collaborated on this project, I knew it
would be a winner. ... My challenge to you is simple: learn The Secret—then apply The Secret. If you do, your leadership and your life will be transformed forever!"
—John C. Maxwell
  • The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do
  • Ethics 101: What Every Leader Needs To Know (101 Series)
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Nine Minutes on Monday: The Quick and Easy Way to Go from Manager to Leader
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • The Secret Science: For the Physical and Spiritual Transformation of Man (Hermetic Philosophy, Book 1)
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • The Message Proverbs
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...

“Someone saw potential in me, invested in my life, and helped me understand that the rewards of becoming a serving leader were far greater than being a self-serving one. I guess you could say I had a change of heart.” 0 likes
“One of the things great leaders do is establish, articulate, model, and enforce core values.” So” 0 likes