Start by marking “Raising A Modern Day Princess” as Want to Read:
Raising A Modern Day Princess

Raising A Modern Day Princess

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In the same tradition as Raising a Modern-Day Knight, this book is designed to equip parents to cultivate strong relationships with their adolescents. Raising a Modern-Day Princess stresses the importance of creating a rite of passage for teen girls—a defining moment in which girls can be blessed by significant adults in their lives, and a call for their families and commu ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Focus on the Family Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Raising A Modern Day Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising A Modern Day Princess

Tima
Mar 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: parenting
It is incredibly difficult to raise a daughter in todays times. Parents and children are faced with difficulties from every angel. Our daughters are special and important, because they are the daughters of their heavenly Father the King. The book is designed around the concept that little girls want to be a princess and need affirmation from their fathers (or respected male in their life) to feel like a princess. Using this idea, the authors created a program to honor the daughters and truly mak ...more
Jill Williamson
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Most girls dream of living out their own fairy-tale romance. They are bombarded from childhood with stories of beautiful princesses swept off their feet by a handsome, noble prince. It’s a beautiful dream, but without practical, life-changing mentoring, girls are often disillusioned when their first love disappoints. Some girls fall into a pattern of giving their heart to the wrong guy. And those of us who’ve been hurt know there is no Band-Aid for a broken heart.

Here is a practical book filled
Erin
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing

The book Raising a Modern-Day Princess by authors Pam Farrel and Doreen Hanna has moved me and it's entirely changed my way of thinking in how to raise my own daughter as well as taught me how to influence the young woman around me.

Grace, dignity, inner beauty, and self worth, traits every daughter of the King should have instilled into her life. Often enough no one is taking the time to celebrate daughter's journey into becoming the woman God has created them to be. It's not hard at at all to d
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-reviews
If you are a Mom, Grandma, Aunt, or an influential woman in the life of any girl you will not only appreciate this book, but benefit greatly from it, too. Pam Farrel and Doreen Hanna have written a book that will encourage you in your relationship with your daughter(s) as well as walk you through many things we want to do, but just don't know how to do. Most of us want to inspire our daughters and breath purpose into their lives and Raising A Modern-Day Princess is the guide to help you do just ...more
Wyndy
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book has some very interesting ideas about parenting teenage girls. Whether you believe in the authors' ideas or not, it is a book well worth reading. They provide good examples of what other societies consider as rites of passage and the influence of fathers and mothers on their children and how the good parts of these rites can be incorporated into your own life. They use sound biblical examples of what is expected of fathers and mothers in their parenting obligations and how the commissi ...more
Sara
Mar 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This book really got me thinking about how to celebrate important moments in my daughters' lives. I like the idea of a Modern Day Princess group and night of celebration, but even if we don't implement ours the same way, the principles of why and what is done were great to think through. Every young girl needs to know the love of her father or another father-figure in her life. I appreciate Pam and Doreen shedding light on this need.
Stacey
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacey by: Sue
Sue Robertson has this book! Fun to find a book on my to-read shelf here.

This book was primarily about rite of passage programs for teenage girls. I am interested in looking further into the curriculum for this program, and going through it with the 6th grade girls here at Mountainview. I think it could have a tremendous impact.
Margaret Chind
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: FIRST
Shelves: own, tyndale-house
What a delightful book dealing with a girl's right of passage. This is definitely something that will be a true treasure as my daughter gets older. The words and lessons in this book are very much needed in today's society. I recommend you look into this book if you have a little girl.
Cindy
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
We've been waiting for this one since Raising a Modern-Day Knight was first published. So much good stuff for parents!
Jen
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book about creating a rite of passage for your young lady.
Matthew
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
As a dad of two daughters, I had high expectations for this book, but it just didn't do it for me. It was good...it just wasn't great.
Jo-Anne Vandermeulen
A Must Read For All Adults Who Have Influential Roles With Teen Girls—A Framework of Thoughtful Ideas and Practical Strategies! PLUS For Mom and Daughter: A Combined Gift – Add ‘Girl’s Journal’.
Lisa
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some really good ideas for rites of passage ceremonies and ways to mark milestones in a growing daughter's (or other special girl) life!
Tiffany Cusick-Bristol
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of great ideas and made me wish I had a rite of passage growing up. I'm currently working on implementing the MDP program at the church my family attends. I have been inspired!
Rebekah
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a giant sales-pitch for the program they were selling.
Adam Parker
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianity
After reading the book Raising a Modern Day Knight and it instantly becoming one of my favorite books on the masculine heart and the process of raising boys to be men, I purchased this book after having my daughter expecting the same quality of work. I was wrong. The book is written by two different women which can be pulled off, but these two were not able to find that balance. At times the authors switched who was writing between paragraphs on the same subject, very confusing to keep track of. ...more
Kurt
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I think that the fact that this book was wriiten by and (for the most part) for moms eventually wore me down a little. The book was still really worth reading for me because it stressed the idea of traditions in family life and the focus is on a rite of passage event in the young woman's life. It also spent a lot of time emphasizing the positive effects of having a mentor. This was all very helpful information for me and I think there are some behaviors of mine that I can change to positive effe ...more
Paula
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I wish I could give this book more stars. I was REALLY hoping for much more from it. It felt like a big commercial for their DOK program rather than giving me the ins and outs of HOW to prepare my daughter or plan the ceremony. If you don't know why you need to give your child a blessing ceremony, then this is a good book. But if you know why your daughter needs a ceremony to usher her into womanhood, this book offers little to help you prepare your daughter for that day. Sadly disappointing.
Lisa
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-booklist
When I picked up this book I wanted to read something that would help offer up ideas about raising my girls. However, for the most part the book focused on doing a celebration ceremony and such. A right of womanhood if you will. Yes, there were a few things I picked up but I wish it had focused more on ways to raise them in faith and strong morals and confidence in their choices.
Connie
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I have always thought a father/daughter relationship is vital for a daughter. This book backed up my thought. The think I found the most interesting was the positive ways that the Jewish community welcome young woman to adulthood.
Jennifer Covington
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't get as much out of this book as I had hoped. There are some good points which I took away, but overall I got tired of all of the personal stories of the ladies they had met, mentored, heard of mentoring...on and on.
Angie
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Good read, lots to think about. I thought the Knight book was done slightly better.
Jurene
Feb 21, 2010
Josh Starcher
Nov 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Raising a Modern Day Knight: A Father's Role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
  • Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl: Guiding Your Daughter from Her Tweens to Her Teens
  • Revolutionary Parenting: What the Research Shows Really Works
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
  • The Father Connection: How You Can Make the Difference in Your Child's Self-Esteem and Sense of Purpose
  • Parenting in the pew : guiding your children into the joy of worship
  • Raising Real Men: Surviving, Teaching and Appreciating Boys
  • For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
  • Creative Counterpart: Becoming the Woman, Wife, and Mother You've Longed to Be
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • NIV Women of Faith Study Bible: Experience the Liberating Grace of God
  • Fertility, Cycles & Nutrition: Self-Care for Improved Cycles and Fertility... Naturally!
  • It's No Secret: Revealing Divine Truths Every Woman Should Know

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99