Start by marking “Paid in Blood (NCIS, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paid in Blood (NCIS, #1)

Paid in Blood (NCIS #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  775 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
The death of a fellow NCIS agent in North Carolina leads Will Coburn and his special team of naval crime-scene investigators to discover a drug-and-arms smuggling ring. The investigation leads them to a U.S. military base in South Korea. When a body is stolen from a crime scene, the team discovers that their suspect is not who he seems. Nuclear weapons have gone missing, a ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Paid in Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paid in Blood

Debbie
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-thiller
"Paid in Blood" is a detective suspense novel which ended like an action-packed military thriller. While the reader knows who the main bad guy is and the broad picture of his evil plan, the reader had to learn the details of the scheme along with the heroes and hope they'd solve it in time. Suspense was also created by the various family problems that the characters were dealing with and the physical danger at various points.

The forensic details of the investigation were excellent and woven into
Crystal Starr Light
I really enjoy the NCIS TV series (minus the copius sexual innuendos) and thought this would be a good, wholesome addition.

Plot:
An NCIS agent is killed when checking in on a coworker's stepson. Will Coburn and his team begin to investigate. As they wrap up the NCIS agent's murder, they realize that something worse is going on: military weapons are being smuggled. What follows is a fast-paced ride through the US, Korea, and Okinawa to find the culprits and stop the ultimate plan: to start World W
R Bartel
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Will Coburn leads a specialized unit of NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Services) that goes beyond the ordinary police work of trying to solve murders. In fact, he and his team read crime scenes so well they can trace a good-deed-gone-terribly-wrong all the way to South Korea and back – because he and his team are not only well-trained forensicists, they’re also military personnel who know how to navigate the halls of military hierarchy and find what they need to solve their cases.

Qadir Yasee
Renne
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you love a good military based story with plenty of action and take charge men and women? Then join Will Coburn and the rest of his NCIS team as they struggle in their personal lives and follow the pieces of the puzzle that begin with an NCIS agent being found murdered in North Carolina.
Dijea
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was awful.
Melita Sheppard
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite challenging in places but quite a fast paced book. I read as an ebook and there were a lot of frustrating typos which didn’t help the narration.
Dani
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Lots of suspense and detail. Some military terminology which I’m not familiar with. I’ve always enjoyed the show NCIS and this book is about an NCIS unit.
Rima
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the low price

The story started slow but when it picked up speed, I was hooked. I wanted the characters I am used to but again,they grew on me.
Jedi Knight Siri
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outread-aubrey
NCIS: Paid in Blood – Mel Odom

***Minor Spoilers***

Side note and disclaimer before I begin my review: Thanks to the CBS crime drama “NCIS”, many people know that NCIS stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Millions of viewers (myself included) watch Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs and his team solve crimes involving naval personnel every Tuesday evening. Mel Odom’s NCIS series is not based on the NCIS TV show.

Odom has his own team of NCIS investigators. Commander William Coburn is a na
Bryan Ewert
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Right from the beginning this felt a bit like an ops technical manual. The author spends too much time on specific technical details in a way that pulls the reader out of the experience. Here's an example:

"Maggie manned the digital 35mm Canon SLR. The single-lens-reflex camera was outfitted with a one-to-one system that offered eight megapixel shots that uploaded onto the gigabyte-size flash card. With the ratio resolution, the Canon could reproduce images that were actual size."

The verbose deta
Amy
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think what I like the very best about this book was the authors commitment to referencing God and making sure they were strong Christian role model characters. However the book was a little bit hard to get into because I don't have a military background and I didn't always understand exactly what was going on. But I was able to follow the book enough to get the gist of things. I enjoyed the characters and like the storyline. It was interesting to watch it jump from one area of the world to ano ...more
Em
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free
I've been reading a lot of religious books recently, because I've been able to get them free for my Nook. They tend to be chick flicks. One thing I noticed about this book was that, although it was religious, it wasn't geared towards the same audience as the rest of them were.

The NCIS team in this book, is investigating the death of a soldier, and ends up traveling to Chinhae in Korea. They suffer there, and there are ups and downs along the way, but eventually they solve the crime and save a lo
Tamara Tilley
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mel-odom, own
PAID IN BLOOD by Mel Odom is filled with suspenseful twists and turns, riveting plots, and complex characters. What starts off as a murder investigation of one of their own NCIS officers, ends up leading Commander Colburn and his team to uncover a plot that links together terrorist from South Korea, Japan, Russia, and someone inside the United States Navy.

Though the genre I enjoy most is romance, which PAID IN BLOOD is not, I thoroughly enjoyed this action pack thriller and can’t wait to learn
Laura-Lynne Smith
I really enjoy the television show NCIS so I was immediately attracted to this book. It was a good story with a great pace until the end. I thought it was very anticlimactic & if I didn't know there was a sequel (which I have on my bookshelf) I would have been more disappointed. All in all, bad guys vs good guys and throw in some family drama and some nukes. I will definitely continue this series.
Jeff Miller
Pretty decent military thriller with some Christian aspects. I have read some of the Fantasy books by the author before which I enjoyed and I came to find that he also wrote Christian fiction. This book is kind of CSI meets NCIS as a Navy team follows the clues around the world to stop a nuclear terrorist event.

Though as an ex-Navy Chief I noticed some incongruities in mixing up language from an Army/Marine Core perspective instead of the what sailors would have used.
Lisa
I enjoy CSI, so I loved the topic of this series. It was very interesting, and I liked the explanations of what and why the characters were doing certain things with the crime scene. However, the writing did not flow as smoothly as I would have liked. It jumped around alittle too much, so at times, I was confused. The ending was somewhat abrupts as well.
Stacy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A freebie for my Kindle. Since we love the two NCIS shows on TV, I was hoping I would like this one, and I was correct. Obviously different team members, but the same idea. Good crime procedural stuff, and clean, with slight Christian faith undertones. If I can find the others free or discounted, I would definitely read more in this series (or get them from Prime, if we ever join!).
Autumn
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I just didnt enjoy this book, to many focal characters, and I understand religion is big in some peoples live but this book was trying to beat it into my head that the characters were religious. It was anti climactic because of how transparent the story line was, you know about 3 chapters in what the total outcome is going to be. I would not recommend this story to anyone.
Betty
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. If you go into the book thinking its going to be like NCIS you are mistaken. The characters a flawed and damaged and trying to solve brutal crimes and keep their faith in humanity and God. A lot of North Carolina references since the team is stationed here.
Jeff
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
An engaging thriller that reads like a two hour movie from the CBS series, except its not. The other difference is a few mentions of "how can God do this etc" and the main characters pray out loud in their heads. So that's a little different. An entertaining rainy Saturday read.
Emma
I don't normally read books where there is a tv series of them and in all honesty,I don't much like the tv show...but the book was free and surprisingly good. it felt a little bit rushed towards a conclusion which would be my only criticism...
J. Ewbank
Enjoyed this book by Mel Odom. It was about international intrigue and has a large cast of characters. The cast is so large you might begin to lose track of all of them, but don't worry, the theme and the plot will get you back in.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Margaret Chind
Sep 29, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Deena
T.M.
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read but I wonder why he chose to use ancient terminology for petty officer. Seaman first class and seaman second class are not terms used in the modern Navy. Otherwise a wonderful work of Christian fiction.
Chantelle

The Christian stuff seemed a bit forced. I'm not opposed to Christian lit but I'd prefer that it appear part of the story. Instead, it seemed kind of shoved in to make it work and not an organic part of the story.
Joe O'Connor
Good; Continuing characters: NCIS (first in series); an NCIS team pursues the case of a dead seaman who isn't who he is supposed to be, leading to terrorists
Jack
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An action thriller, with emphasis on American Christianity and shoot outs with the bad guys, who are stereotyped axis-of-evil terrorists
Audrey Grant
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Shelves: e-book
CHRISTIAN, NCIS...Two of my favs wrapped in one book!! Can't get much better! Thank you so much!! MORE PLEASE!!
Leah Sonnenberg
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like cop shows like NCIS. This is just as good if not better.
Bill
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good but the ebook wad screwed up. It kept jumping back pages.
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Shattered: A Daughter's Regret (Secrets, #2)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Medical Error (Prescription for Trouble, #2)
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Blood Ransom (Mission Hope #1)
  • All Through the Night
  • Thicker Than Blood (Thicker Than Blood #1)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Conspiracy in Kiev (The Russian Trilogy #1)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers #1)
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • The Justice Game
  • Elisha's Bones (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #1)
  • Sunrise
  • Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer... One Patient at a Time

aka Jordan Gray

Mel Odom is a bestselling writer for hire for Wizards of the Coast's Forgotten Realms, Gold Eagle's Mack Bolan, and Pocket's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel book lines. His debut SF novel Lethal Interface made the Locus recommended list . The Rover was an Alyx Award winner. He has also written
More about Mel Odom...

NCIS (3 books)
  • Blood Evidence (NCIS, #2)
  • Blood Lines (NCIS, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Ready to Kill (Nathan McBride, #4)
    $5.99 $2.00