Start by marking “Life Nomadic: How to Travel the World for Less Than You Pay in Rent” as Want to Read:
Life Nomadic: How to Travel the World for Less Than You Pay in Rent

Life Nomadic: How to Travel the World for Less Than You Pay in Rent

Life Nomadic is a book that will change the way you think about travel. Rather than think of it as an expensive luxury, you will understand it for what it is: a surprisingly affordable necessity for fully experiencing life.

In 2007 I sold everything I owned and began traveling the world. I became a nomad. This book is a collection of the travel strategies, tips, and philoso
Published (first published February 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Life Nomadic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Nomadic

Start your review of Life Nomadic: How to Travel the World for Less Than You Pay in Rent
Nick
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top
Tynan is the man. This book started me on the path to minimalism and travel, and did the same for several friends. I also met Tynan randomly in a tea shop, and he's overwhelmingly nice and interesting.
Kl
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

This book is full of some great resources and just different enough from other books that I really enjoyed it. Could have used an grammar editor in a few spots though.
Katrina Morris
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very quick, easy read, but full of great information. A guide to living a minimalistic, nomadic life-There isn't so much information that you don't know where to start, but there is just enough to possibly get you motivated to do something about your life- mostly because he makes it seem like it's not very hard at all. It's not very "fluffy"- meaning it doesn't have much feel-good motivational stuff that makes you think "Hey, I gotta change my life right now." It's organized well and it's minima ...more
Coen
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Another book in which the author is living out his dream. I love reading non-fiction because of this. Because of people and their dreams. It's so refreshing to read about. It makes me happy to know that there are people out there taking risks and feeling fulfilled.

I am definitely looking to take his advice and start traveling after I save up some money. This book makes me feel confident that it's possible. That it's much easier than I think it is. I just have to stop thinking that it is more dif
Ajeenkya
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Life Nomadic is very resourceful. Obviously chucking everything and being a modern day nomad is a little too extreme for me, but it was definitely interesting to learn a myriad of new aspects about traveling. Not just traveling, but traveling light and experiencing more. The minimalist approach of the author really got me thinking of how many unnecessary things I own and how much I keep lugging them around. This book really makes me want to pause my life, travel more and travel smart!
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-books
I really enjoyed this book. The author chucked his regular 9-5 job and began a life of travel. Granted, he had the kind of job that could be done sitting in an airport or in a cafe in Paris. I am so jealous. This book makes me want to sell everything and become a traveling gypsy!
Juliana
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, balance, work-life
Nice little compact how-to book on how to become a minimalist live the life nomadic. Not something I plan on doing--not in my cards right now. But I plan on doing a lot more travel and this book has some great tips on doing just that.
Rachel Gierczycki
Sep 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was a quick and unfulfilling read, although I think it would be of use to someone who was looking to emulate the author's lifestyle. However, I do salute Tynan for living the life he has chosen.
Chloe
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Great, inspiring book! Wish it lasted longer :)
Gina
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 - 4 stars

It is difficult to give Life Nomadic; How to Travel the World for Less than You Pay in Rent a full four-star rating because the content is not very revolutionary in 2018. However, Tynan published this book in February 2010, and I would guess that the nomadic minimalist lifestyle was less common eight years ago.

In early 2010, Tynan's information would have been inspirational to anyone seeking to live (or experiment with) the nomadic lifestyle. At the end of 2018, the information for
The Wanderlust Book Club
The information in this book wasn't anything new or groundbreaking. He gave away all his possessions, traveled for a while, and tells you about the gear he likes. Part of the book tells travel stories with people he doesn't really discuss and leaves the reader confused, and the other part of the book gives you websites to look up and what underwear he likes.

But my real issue with the book was the incredibly poor editing. There were typos on every single page. There were misspelled words, missing
Teri Pre
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-reads
It was probably good a few years ago, but a lot has changed in that time. And his grammar needed a good editor.
Monica L Garrett
Very informative

I enjoyed this book. It was very informative. I shot a lot of great travel advice from it. Thank you
Danielle
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Tynan! He gives good authoritative advice. Not only is he thorough in his research, he makes you think about your own way of doing things.
Teo 2050
2015.01.22–2015.01.27

Contents

Tynan (2010) Life Nomadic - How to Travel the World for Less Than You Pay in Rent

A Quick Note on “Piracy”

Part I: A New Perspective

Introduction
• Life Nomadic
• What is a Modern Nomad?
• • Flexibility

02. The Nomadic Experience
• The Subtle Benefits of Being
Byron
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Why not just ditch everything you own and travel the world full time? Life Nomadic shows how you can do this on just, like, thousands of dollars a month. It also shows how you can make thousands of dollars a month by taking high-paying design and programming jobs on a freelance basis via the Internets, and by "shows" I mean it just says that you should look into trying to get high-paying freelance design and programming work via the Internets.

So yeah, Life Nomadic is not of much practical use to
Zeljka
It was interesting read, considering I did a bit of travelling too, yet not in such a style. I found some advice quite helpful, at same time ignoring some other advice. It is only matter of what are you looking for in this book.
I took it as a story told by a fellow traveller. His lifestyle doesn't mean much to me - I never intend to sell the home I live in, simply because I do not consider it as a hassle and because I love my hometown, friends and family too much to get myself separated from the
Jaroslav Tuček
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I read when I decided to take a 30 month travel-sabbatical and it was immensely helpful to me. Looking back now with what I've learned there are more informative books on the topic out there, however do not overestimate the value of pure information. A lot of it you will forget, a lot will not appeal to your preferred travel style, a lot will not apply to the particular circumstances you'll find yourself in. And you will learn - fast - on your own even if starting complet ...more
Brian
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read the whole 160-page book in one sitting. It's a quick read, and well-written. Engaging, inspiring, and motivating, it was exciting to read - his zeal for life really comes across.

It's reminiscent of the Four Hour Work Week in that it combines ultra-practical information (his section on buying cheap flights reveals a borderline obsessive level of scrutiny - but it's super useful info!) with the more abstract and inspiring stuff. His occasional travel anecdotes are particularly great. Highly
Amlan Roy
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love traveling .......after reading this book I m feeling my guts telling me.....just arrange your backpack and carry on.....as I m on a voyage now trying to plan a future trip immediately after.....
But turning into a Nomad is not that easy......lots of responsibilities ........
Writer has disclosed some valuable information on traveling cheap and efficiently ......which will help almost every traveller ....although the gadgets included here should be updated.. ..
Boris Simba
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read the whole book until 65%, then skimmed it. I went to the book looking mostly how could i sustain himself while traveling. It was in the last few pages, but we doesn't say much. I already knew that i play poker and was building a website. Besides that is a great book for information how to travel.

The last pages, where is the resources section, are a resume of the websites he uses to get cheap flights, etc... great book on info how to get around the world.
Eric
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
One of the best books on nomadic living

A book I read partly for motivation, and partly for strategy. My plan is to leave the country by the end of the year, which is still a while away, and still a lot of money to save up. I'll definitely be referring to it a lot more when I'm actually travelling. Lots of great information, only slightly dated, and a great read for anyone interested in a nomadic lifestyle. Recommended.
Felly
Informative & useful guide for nomadic and traveling life (I put 3.5 stars actually). It is not a great book but quite helpful especially you are considering to be a person like Tynan. More info you can just click www.tynan.com. Anyhow I really agree with simple traveling style. I feel more relax with my 20 liter daypack during my last travelling experience. ...more
Alyson
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
I liked this book because the author had different tips that aren't included in many other travel books, like how to initially get started for example. It was written in a bit of a salesman type language but I can handle that as long as the advice is good and sound and the book well written as was the case with Life Nomadic.
Kris Patterson
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nomadic living

This book offers a great look at living a vagabond lifestyle. I enjoyed the information on securing economical flights. I liked the strategies on implementing minimalism. This book made we want to book my travels plans now. It is written in an easy to read format and will appeal to anyone who is looking for a change in their life.
Kait Lynes
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Great suggestions, incredible detail (down to the brand of wool underwear you should invest in), and the words to fill any traveler's heart with joy. Check out Life Nomadic if you've ever dreamt of leaving everything behind to gain everything you never thought you were missing.
Sara
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
A fascinating guide to minimalist nomadic travel by someone who is living it. While I'm not interested in being a nomad, there is some excellent advice here I will incorporate into my future travels.
D. Redhawk
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: travelers, nomads, minimalists
Recommended to D. by: PixelofInk.com
This is a great little book for the minimalist who wants to travel the world. Good solid information and website links that cover packing, getting excellent deals on travel costs, and how to locate work on the road. At my age, I might be slipping into a mid-life crises and changing my job!
Natasha Gilbert
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad

Had a lot of information about his trips, but he also makes way more money than most of us. Made it hard to relate to at times. Had a lot of good info tho.
Alex Cureton-griffiths
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring stuff. I followed a lot of the advice in this book for helping to simplify life and become a lot more mobile

• How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter
  • Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now
  • Fiend
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT
  • Emotion Regulation in Psychotherapy: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Real Happiness, 10th Anniversary Edition: A 28-Day Program to Realize the Power of Meditation
  • Real Love: The Art of Mindful Connection