Start by marking “The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)

The Meeting Place

(Song of Acadia #1)

A Chance Encounter Forever Changed Their Lives--and Destinies.
Crafted by two masters of inspirational fiction--Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn--and combining the engaging historical settings, rich characterization, and heartwarming messages quintessential to both authors, The Meeting Place is another timeless story for you to cherish.

Set along the rugged coastline of 18th c
Paperback, Repack edition, 288 pages
Published April 1st 1999 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 31st 1999)

The disputed Canadian territory of Acadia, 1753

Catherine Price has just married Andrew Harrow, a captain in His Majesty’s army. They are very much in love, but he is almost always away from home. They live on a volatile piece of land, occupied by their fellow British colonists, French Catholics loyal to Louis XV, and Huguenots (French Protestants, historically persecuted by, and exiled from, their mother country), who swear allegiance to neither king. The drums of war echo in every hill and vall
Olivia
There are some books that are amazing every time you read it. This is one of those. "The Meeting Place" is an example of why I've gotten so picky with the Christian fiction I read ;) I'm totally for description, and Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn describe things so beauitfully.

The story itself is unique. French and British young women meet in a meadow, and strike up a friendship. Despite the trouble between these two countries, the two women find common interests and when Louise needs help Cathe
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Set along the rugged coastline of 18th century Canada in what was then called Acadia (now Nova Scotia and New Brunswick), The Meeting Place re-creates a world that was home to native Indians, French settlers, and English garrisons. Such diverse populations did not live in accord, however. Instead, they were isolated within their own groups by a brewing political tension under the difficult English rule.
Amid such chaotic times two women, both about to become brides and both tryi
Traci
For the most part, I don’t understand Christian fiction. I don’t understand fiction of any religion, really, because overall it seems like it’s preaching to the choir. If I pick up a book that’s marketed towards a specific religion, I tend to find it is full of validations about why that religion is awesome above all other religions. I’m not saying that’s a good or bad thing. And I mean, okay, I’m starting this review in a possibly unnecessarily harsh way, but since one of the main plotlines of ...more
Victoria Minks
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read many of Janette Oke and what I have read was more for younger children in years past. I started reading this just to see if I liked it or not, not really sure what I was expecting. At first, the writing was kind of slow, I thought. It was hard for me to focus on the story in the beginning, especially through a lot of the uber-poetic descriptions. I'm a character-oriented person and tend to enjoy punchier and shorter descriptions, so I was having a little bit of a hard time getting ...more
Ron
A gentle, faith-filled tale as readers expect of Janette Oke, author of eight Love Comes Softly books and a dozen Women of the West. Not really historical fiction so much as Christian fiction in a historical setting. (view spoiler)

If the story suffers at all, it i
Anna
May 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish this book - the only one I've read by Janette Oke that I didn't really care for. I had some trouble keeping the characters straight, and the historical/political context of the book confused me even more. I finally gave up on this one.
Celeste
4.5
Man... I'm crying. This book was a pleasant, quick, and thoroughly addicting read. I don't really know what more I can say without getting into spoilers so I guess that I'll leave it there for now!
paperdollmom
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a favorite book of mine for many years. I love the characters in the book, and how well they were developed. I was unaware of this part of history, and what had happened to the Acadians prior to this book, and I think this book really helps one to understand how hard that time must have been for those people. I have read the other books in the series, and think all of them deserve 5 stars. These books are definitely keepers! To comment on other reviews that keep comparing this book to o ...more
Wen
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Sweet story of 2 women from different town and cultures forming a very close bond. It is set with early American settlers. One town English and the other French. The conflicts between make their friendship harder to have but stronger because of it all. The big question of what happened to them and their families at the very end make you want to reach for book 2 in the series right away.
Amy
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters of the story and the storyline. I felt that it was slow and hard to get into, although it picked up much more at the end. I also wish there had been more detail as to the conflict between the British and French going on during that time period. I was not familiar with the history, and so the storyline did not impact me as much. I am going to read the sequel though, because I have to find out what happens next!
Jerry
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I usually like these authors' books, but this one just didn't do it for me.
LanaDwire
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was hard to put this book down. I just wish it didn't leave me hanging at the end.
Shantelle
This is a great book for people who love historical, romance, and dynamic happenings. The Song of Acadia series is a favorite of mine; bittersweet, but absolutely marvolous!
Christa
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed how this story was so focused on friendship! I'm used to books that are about couples falling in love it's nice to read something different.

I was never board during this book, that said it was a pretty short book haha but I really loved the storyline and reading about a Canadian history!

Sometimes I feel like I give too many books 5 stars but I just really enjoyed this one!

I cannot wait to read the next in the series!
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the place we now call Canada, descendents of French and English settlers live separate but peaceful lives. Their villages exist side by side, yet they keep no contact because of centuries-old hostilities between their old homelands.

Across the Atlantic, England and France are fighting again. The British governing forces in Acadia are forcing the French-descended Acadians to swear an oath to the King. The Acadians may be willing, had there not been a demand in the oath that they take up arms f
David Gregory
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of a five book series coauthored by Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn. The entire series is set in the tumultous era of pre-Revolutionary War days in early America, only in this instance the setting is in Acadia, more recenly Nova Scotia.

The authors set a riveting tale of two families, one Enlish and the other French, only a few miles away from each other but never meeting or relating to each other, OTHER than a meadow high up in woods where two young girls, both engaged to be
Casey
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It’s the third time I have picked up “The Meeting Place” by the talented duo of Bunn and Oke and it’s like I’ve never read it before. The story remains fresh and vibrant across the years since it was first published to just last night when I closed the cover on the final page.

Every good story is about a relationship, a love story. Not a romance, but love. Love between friends, child and parent, a husband and wife, a love for country. “The Meeting Place” has this and so much more. I am always dra
Rachel
“God's hand is on this journey.”

And so the series begins, a story of two young women from very different worlds. Catherine Price is the daughter of an English nobleman, yet Louise Belleveaue is a Frenchman's daughter in a local village. Their lives connect and change forever one spring day in a peaceful meadow – their special meeting place - far away from their nation's conflicts and the rumors of war... once so far away...now growing ever nearer to their beloved homeland of Acadia.

“It is y
Jean
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The authors did a good job in their research of the east coast during the 1700's which is the time period this story is set in. There are French settlers who have been there for generations and they live in villages by themselves. The English haven't been there as long and have their own little settlements. Even though they might live just a few miles apart, the English and the French people do not usually meet. They each have feelings of hate against the other people which have come from genera ...more
Sue
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
‘The meeting place’ is the first in the five-book series ‘Song of Acadia’. It’s set in the 17th century, in ‘Acadia’ on the Canadian coast; England was at war with France, although there was an uneasy peace in the Acadian region.

The novel features two women: one English, one French. They become friends and discover that despite their different backgrounds, they are at a similar stage in life. I liked the way that the story was told, from alternate points of view. A good picture is painted of th
Peggy N
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Acadia History
Recommended to Peggy by: Barnes and Noble Free Books
The Meeting Place is a story based during the English occupation of Nova Scotia and the subsequent exportation of all the French settlers out of Acadia as it was called. I looked forward to reading this as my husband has grown interested in the history and culture of the Cajun people in Louisiana. This book follows the lives of two very different young women, Louise who is French and Catherine who is not only English but the wife of an English officer. The two women met the day before their wedd ...more
Kelley
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two young women, one English (Catherine) and one French (Louise), meet in a chance encounter in a meadow situated in the middle of their respective towns on the eve before their weddings. It is a time of conflict between England and France and the womens' budding friendship could be dangerous for all involved.

There is a lot of history and spirituality intertwined in this story. I developed a great sympathy for both the English and French sides: The French for what they had to endure and the Eng
Helen
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E-Reader Historical - British & French of Acadia

This book will show how important God is in peoples lives, whether they be British or French.
The English have a Ft. Edward at the Cobequid Bay, Acadia (early name of Arcadia & New Brunswick).
An English woman Catherine Price Harrow becomes a French woman's best friend, Louise Belleveau Robichard. They meet in an open field of wild flowers, unknown to many.
They both married the same day. Also had a baby daughter 2 days apart, Elsapeth Catheri
Nadine Keels
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thoughts on the entire series.

With these novels, I joined the ranks of readers who know what it is to be in the midst of a series, waiting, even with bated breath, for the next book in the series to be published.

I appreciate the style and language that Bunn clearly brought into this co-written historical fiction saga with Oke. I remember being totally engrossed and on edge during a certain crucial stretch in The Meeting Place and was floored by the unembellished end to that nerve-racking rush: “
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Watching the Janette Oke series called "Cedar Cove" made me want to check out more of her books and I found this one at the library. The first in the series about a part of the world and a part of history I knew nothing about. During the 18th century, French settlers in the southeastern (I think) part of Canada lived in a small French controlled area surrounded by British settlements. The two groups of people did not mingle as the British were very wary of the French and did not like them since ...more
Pegg
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-read
Set in the Canadian frontier during the turbulent years when France and Great Britain fought for control of the territory. Catherine Price was married to her British office on the same day Louise Robichaud married her French farmer. The two women met by accident in a forest meadow. Could their blooming friendship span a cultural divide steeped in hatred and suspicion?

Wonderful setting and history background to this story. Loved the rich descriptions of the area during this time. The characters a
Sabrina
After reading an 800+ page book, I like to settle next on a small quaint book of fluff. Usually to relax my mind a bit and let myself just enjoy.

I picked up The Meeting Place with this thought in mind. Much to my surprise, this book was definitely not the uncomplicated, simple romance that I was expecting.

This book has a wonderfully complex story built around 2 women who accidentally become friends. What transpires is very deep and for the most part heart-wrenching. I realized when I was coming
Sally Wolfsberger
One of Okes best works.

The book began slowly but became one of my favorites. Looking forward
to the sequel. As usual, Janette Oke does not disappoint.
 Mummy Cat Claire
I enjoyed this book. The reader is introduced to two women from different countries. One is Canadian and the other is French Canadian. I love how they come together and get to know each other in their meeting place, a meadow.
This series is about the conflicts with the French Canadians. I learned a lot about this issue, however it has been a while since I read this book and I feel like I should go back and read it again.
Each of their lives are discussed in this first book. This information is im
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)
  • The Rescue (The English Garden, #2)
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • The Shield of Honor (Wakefield Dynasty, #3)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1)
  • Measures of Grace (Victorian Serenade #2)
  • The Heather Hills of Stonewycke (Stonewycke, #1)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year

Song of Acadia (5 books)
  • The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)
  • The Birthright (Song of Acadia, #3)
  • The Distant Beacon (Song of Acadia, #4)
  • The Beloved Land (Song of Acadia, #5)