Start by marking “Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)” as Want to Read:

Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess

(Olympians #2)

Step into a world of fearsome battle, cruel treachery, and fierce loyalty. Your guides are the three Fates, eerie figures who weave the tale of life. Their subject today is Athena, warrior goddess. Five astonishing tales of brave Athena's adventures lies ahead.

Get ready for adventures you've only dreamed of as the Greek gods come to explosive life in OLYMPIANS. Epic battl
Published April 13th 2010 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Athena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Athena

Ana O
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology, fantasy
 photo 5cf82efd511de2c18a1245997bb95acd_zpsq9azgn6m.jpg

My favorite goddess. This is an absolutely delightful graphic novel, pure fun from first page to last!

photo tumblr_mh5zzvSkUU1qhmiqjo1_500_zpsjmscz2yd.jpg

photo tumblr_mxg1bq7gku1riyr2ao1_1280_zpsfbrapjzm.png

Calista
This is my last one to read for the Olympians series that he has written so far. I hope he writes more of these. They are FANTASTIC!

I like how George uses the fates to tell the tale of Athena. He finds some interesting source materials for her birth that was in D'Aulaire's mythology or other mythologies I have read. Either he makes it up or he reads very widely on the subject from multiple historical perspectives.

Then, one of the stories told is about Medusa, which is such a great tale. Athena
Erin
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought that this was already reviewed, but I am correcting that now. This was my first George O'Connor read and I highly recommend his works to my fellow high school teachers. The illustrations are excellent and really follow the familiar Greek myths well.
Donalyn
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Athena is my favorite Olympian. She is the goddess of wisdom, tactical warfare and crafts, after all. Besides, I have a thing for owls. The illustrations in this graphic novel remind me of superhero comics and it does a superb job of creating a linear "biography" of Athena from several classic stories.
paula
I gave this book a star for School Library Journal and if I could have given it two stars, I would have!
Kellee
In the 2nd book in George O'Connor's Olympian books, he explores the stories of Athena. I really liked how this book was set up more so than the first because I felt that there was more elaboration and details into Athena's stories while in Zeus's book, it was more a history lesson of the Olympians. In this graphic novel, we get to hear the story of Athena's birth, Perseus, Arachne and more.

I also loved this book because Athena is very much my favorite of the Olympians because of her intelligen
Robert
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Weavers and Warriors
I enjoyed this anthology of Athena tales more than the preceding volume on Zeus, mostly because I guess the pesky chore of world-building (in the most literal sense of the term I think I've ever used) was accomplished already and the Grey-Eyed Goddess could be given her fullest due.

Interesting how the author displays a generally admirable figure here but one that is nonetheless touched by tragedy and pride. It definitely makes me interested to see how the rest of the Olympians fare, though it ma
Kirsten
This is a fantastic graphic novel for kids and teens about Athena, one of my favorite Greek goddesses. George O'Connor does a nice job of picking a mix of well-known stories about Athena (such as her role in Perseus's slaying of Medusa, or the story of Arachne) and lesser-known tales. His artwork is really excellent -- the pages are full of motion and excitement, and he captures changes of mood beautifully though subtle shifts in characters' facial expressions. I was reminded strongly of P. Crai ...more
katsok
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm impressed with this new series of O'Connors. This one was different than Zeus. The Zeus volume was more of a narration of his life. This one has the three fates telling different stories of Athena. Starting with a brief recap of Zeus and the battle against Kronos. Then it goes on to explain Athena's unique beginning. Finally it shows how Athena was a bit lost in her place and then events in her life that shaped her.
Maggi Rohde
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Percy Jackson
Richly detailed and creatively structured, this compilation of tales about the goddess Pallas Athena evokes the grim violence and majesty of ancient Greece. George O'Connor's magnificent prose and dynamic illustrations are a winning combination. This is a shining star among dull third-person retellings of Greek myths. Ages 10+.
Rachel
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic, read-2010
A great way to convey the different myths.
Hunter R.
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I like it because most of it is by the book, and now I actually saw "modern" pictures of it!!!
Stephanie
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great series, so much good background information in a wonderful visual format! I don't know whether to love Athena or be irritated by her. Awaiting the next installment!
Edward Sullivan
Excellent retelling of Greek mythology.
Jacq ~A Book Dragon
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was just fun mythology!
Kanmanisign
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2) > Review > Edit
by George O'Connor
Change edition
My rating: 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars[ 3 of 5 stars ]4 of 5 stars5 of 5 starsClear
Bookshelves/tags:
Choose shelves...
read
What did you think? Formatting tips Insert book/author Enlarge text field
Dolly
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the second book in the Olympians series of graphic novels by George O'Connor. It's an entertaining and dramatically illustrated version of the classic Greek mythology. It features the story of Athena's birth, two stories that explain why she is also called Pallas Athena, as well as two more stories in which Athena is a major character.

Our girls love Greek Mythology and we've read a lot of books that feature various Gods and Goddesses. We've really enjoyed the variety of styles, from D'Au
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

This second book starts off with a one page summary of volume one. It also introduces The Fates who are the storytellers of this issue. Different from Zeus, this volume is not one singular story but a collection of vignettes of Athena's creation and birth story and her other adventures. Each story, in the end, tells how Athena added to her Aegis, which became her most powerful weapon. Plus there are two versions of why she took the name Pallas Athena and of
David
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Weavers who should keep their mouths shut, priestesses who should keep their legs shut
The second volume in the Olympian graphic novel series is excellent. I already loved this series after Volume 1 (Zeus), but the enigmatic Pallas Athena, the Goddess of Wisdom, Craft, and War, becomes a real character, and I like that the author, George O'Connor, sticks to the original myths (and really knows his sources) while not being afraid to take a few artistic liberties. The dialog is contemporary, the facial expressions suitable for a young adult graphic novel, and a more or less invented ...more
Chumofchance
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love Athena? She's a badass strong female protagonist, but did you know she's a bit of a 'b' as well? Following the first book in the series, the Olympians #2 follows in the trend of looking in to the psychology of the gods, accepting that they're unknowable but not that they can't be misunderstood. They're people, after all.

It was a smart move going from Zeus to Athena's story, following up on what came of Metis and getting a glimpse in to the generational saga. Athena's always been
Brewer Community School
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book that I just finished reading is called: Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess, by George O’Connor. It is all about the different tales of Athena, the Goddess of Wisdom and War. It talks about how she was born from the head of Zeus, the King of the Gods, who her mother Mitus was, how she battled Pallas and ended up accidentally killing her with her spear. It tells the story of Zeus giving Athena his Aegis because it was sort of his fault that Athena killed Pallas, and how Athena cursed Arachne and M ...more
Christina (Christina's Book Corner)
Book review Athena Read from March 15 to 15, 2015Boom! Pow! Crash!Greek Gods as you’ve never seen them before!The strong, larger-than-life heroes of the Olympians can summon lightning, control the sea, turn invisible, or transform themselves into any animal they choose. Superheroes? No! Greek gods. The ancient pantheon comes to explosive life in this new series where myth meets comic books. Epic battles, daring quests, and terrible monsters await readers within the pages of these books.Volume 2, ...more
Ethan
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like the greek gods
Recommended to Ethan by: no one

This book shows the story of Athena.How she was born and how she was raised.
The story of her outfit and also why she is a god of war.This book is just fantastic
in overall.Thats it for part one theres multiple.

In the beginning we learn of a women Zeus loved named Metis the mother of Athena.Then it goes into the creation of Athena's shield and Armor when Hephaistos,Ares and Poseidon's help.They open Zeus head and Athena comes out.Then we learn of giants who want to take over mount olympus.but the
Ken Yuen
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative. Love the extra info pages in the back. It's great that it covers heroes, monsters, deities that appear in the stories.

I've never seen Andromeda represented with dark skin before. As a princess of Ethiopia, that makes a lot of sense!

I used to really like Athena for what she represented, but man does she curse a lot of people. It's weird to have a book devoted to Athena, and have a bunch of stories that paint her in such an unflattering light. But maybe that's just me bringing my adul
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Nov 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
This would be a nice compliment to the Percy Jackson Series for kids/teens wanting a little more information about the Gods. I found the stories about Athena very entertaining. Already thinking about who I can recommend this to.
ACS Librarian
Like all of the books in this series, this was a fun read. Not only does this graphic novel tell the story of Athena but also Perseus, Medusa, and Arachne.
Kyungnan Gam
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like always, I really like this myth series of George O'Conner. I like his realistic drawings that makes the readers want to read more and be more interested in the books.
Pobes
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought the other two gorgons looked like Medusa but without the "stone eyes" thing. Well, this graphic novel's illustrator totally made the sisters of Medusa looked like green she-werewolves.
Ash Rowe
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One Athena’s birth is pretty awesome. Two: Athena is like THE kick butt female goddess in my opinion. I she’s wise and doesn’t agree with her father that she is ready to be on Olympus she instead trains on Earth. She’s an amazing strategist and fighter.

I enjoyed every story about Athena. From how she got her name Pallas Athena ( both interpretations), How she added to her aegis to make it the most powerful part of her armor, how she came to help Perseus in his quest and the story of Arachne. Al
Kaethe Douglas
Highly recommended. I look forward to reading the whole series. I like the nice, clear Olympus family tree at the front, I like the stories O'Connor chose to tell and the way he told them, and I like all the backmatter including further reading suggestions, comments on the rights not enjoyed by Greek women, etc. Accessible and modern, without being revisionist at all. And I learned some stuff, or maybe re-learned stuff I'd completely forgotten.

• Fable Comics
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders
  • City of Spies
  • Around the World
  • Defiance (Resistance, #2)
  • Bake Sale
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Foiled (Foiled, #1)
  • Cat Burglar Black
  • Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Prime Baby
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
  • Big Bad Ironclad! (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #2)
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He's also the author/illustrator of a new picture book, If I Had a Raptor.
He lives in

Olympians (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1)
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
  • Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)
  • Artemis: Wild Goddess of the Hunt (Olympians, #9)
  • Hermes: Tales of the Trickster (Olympians, #10)
  • Hephaistos: God of Fire (Olympians, #11)