Start by marking “Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots” as Want to Read:
Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots

Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  3,863 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Now with a new foreword by John MacArthur.

J.C. Ryle’s Holiness has imparted a standing challenge to Christians for 130 years. In this new, slimmed-down series of excerpts from Ryle’s masterwork, we aim to present his original message to a whole new generation. Holiness, Ryle argued, was not simply a matter of believing and feeling, but of doing
Paperback, Abridged, 288 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Moody Publishers (first published 1877)

To ask other readers questions about Holiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holiness

Sean
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable number of books that promote 'formulas' for living the Christian life have had their day on the Christian bestseller lists, only to fade away as time goes on. Yet J.C. Ryle's Holiness, which was first published 126 years ago, shows no signs of going out of style. What could possibly account for the longevity of a volume that Reformation & Revival Journal once called "the finest work on living the Christian life available"? I offer three reasons:

1) It gives no formulas. Bishop Ry
Tim
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryle's work is a classic Reformed defense of the pursuit of sanctification as an active enterprise against various late 19th century denigrations of that understanding. He is, in a way, a Puritan out of place in history (and easier to read than John Owen). In Holiness, Ryle stands against extremes among the Reformed and Lutheran that claim sanctification is all about faith, but also against the holiness movements of his day, arising in part out of a misdirection of Wesley's understanding of imm ...more
Amy Ivey
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!! This book was written in the late 1800s, but it reads like it was written today!! Each chapter is a separate paper written by J.C. Ryle, some were sermons, all focused on SCRIPTURAL holiness. Ryle's discussions are beautifully simple and completely scripturally founded. He begins with chapters on sin, sanctification, holiness, then continues on to offer biblical examples of his points. His chapter on Moses clearly represents Moses as a type of Christ: Moses left the rank and greatness and ...more
Suzannah
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to give this a more in-depth review on the blog shortly. Suffice to say I highly recommend it :).
Julia
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
This review so far refers only to chapter VII "Assurance" (pp. 143-181):

Another reading with me doing plenty of underlining throughout. One line of truth even had me updating my Facebook profile quotations since I resonated with it so much.

Reading this chapter wasn't all roses for me, however. I felt that I didn't share the experience he described as so common among Christian believers (a lack of "assurance") but by the end of the chapter I was chalking it up to cultural differences and semanti
Sushant
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, Excellent book!

I believe that a lack of passion for personal holiness is probably one of the saddest aspects of 21st century Christianity. In our effort to move away from legalism, we have given way to lechery, and we have emphasized God's love and forgiveness so much that most of us have no clue what the verse "Strive...for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14) means. This book helps you understand what that verse means biblically.

A generation that is
Ben Hartman
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. It took me a long time, but I finally finished it. Holiness constantly looks Christward, exhorting Christians in the living of a holy life. One of the most often quoted texts was Hebrews 12:14 "Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." This seems to be a somewhat forgotten verse in our day. May we strive daily for greater holiness and conformity to Christ and His Word.
Nick
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This has been a book that I have slowly read for the past 2 years. It's not a fast read by any means, but the writing is mostly clear. Some parts I connected with better than others. It was originally written as a series of papers, so it felt like 20 separate thoughts on holiness. However, this is a book that deserves to be read by every Christian today.
benebean
I really love the discussion over how much of the confusion regarding the pursuit of holiness is really confusion over participation in sanctification vs. justification.
Bob
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: The classic collection by nineteenth century evangelical Anglican J.C. Ryle emphasizing that growth in Christ-like character (holiness) involves not only faith in Christ's empowering work but effort in laying hold of that work and that this basic matter is far too often neglected in the church.

J. C. Ryle was an Anglican rector, and eventually bishop of the then-new Diocese of Liverpool. He lived from 1816-1900. Much of his work was among working class people, and it is evident in readin
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • The Reformed Pastor
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Religious Affections
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols
J. C. Ryle was a prominent writer, preacher, and Anglican clergyman in nineteenth-century Britain. He is the author of the classic Expository Thoughts on the Gospels and retired as the bishop of Liverpool.
More about J.C. Ryle...

“A true Christian is one who has not only peace of conscience, but war within. He may be known by his warfare as well as by his peace.” 35 likes
“I entreat my readers, besides the Bible and the Articles, to read history.” 18 likes