Start by marking “The Art of Prayer” as Want to Read:
The Art of Prayer

The Art of Prayer

A spiritual anthology drawn from the Greek and Russian traditions, concerned in particular with the most frequently used and best loved of all Orthodox prayers--the Jesus Prayer. Texts are taken chiefly from the letters of Bishop Theopan the Recluse, along with many other writers.
Published July 7th 1997 by Faber Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Prayer

David Withun
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This isn't actually a work all its own but a selection of quotes from various Church Fathers and a few others, and especially St. Theophan the Recluse, on the Jesus Prayer and on related topics of Orthodox spirituality. The selections are, of course, fantastic. The book is filled from cover to cover with practical advice from our holy fathers and mothers on how to pursue a more intimate relationship with our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ. I recommend it very much to those interested in eith ...more
Ephraim Lawson Bowick
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Spiritual Father gave me this book when I initially began to be drawn to the Orthodox Church. If you're interested in hesychasm, or seeking further, more intimate relationship with our Creator, I HIGHLY recommend this book. St. Theophan the Recluse will become like a mentor to you after flipping through this book.
Best read in small increments.

Forgive me a sinner,

Lawson
Kristie Soliman
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: orthodox
Very good and helpful read. Repetitive at times, which at first bothered me but I grew fond of the repetition about halfway through the book when I actually started to try to practice the things written here.

This isn't necessarily the best intro to prayer. The part of the book dedicated to the Jesus prayer has a lot of good things for introduction, but as a whole, the writers speak of very high level concepts, sometimes written specifically to monks, and could be confusing or even disturbing to
Joshua Treviño
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I won't write too much on this, as I feel fairly unqualified, for various reasons, to write on religious books. (Though I will say that I find the great Vladimir Lossky to be absolutely impenetrable.) Still, I will note that I got this book long, long before I converted to Orthodox Christianity -- about seven years before, in fact -- and I found it a treasure then, and a treasure now. You don't need to be Orthodox to read, appreciate, and benefit from The Art of Prayer.

The passages in this colle
Rose
Mar 08, 2015 added it
that book really took much time 2 b finished. I can't evaluate it properly. It was good I can't deny that,but how much good don't know. The topics r fantastic. I don't know what type of ppl I can recommend that book to, all I know it's not for beginners, u need to have background about the art of prayer before starting it 2 b able 2 understand the standards the book has.
It has one big goal focused on , that was so good & useful to me.
An advice, if get bored at the start, fight & keep goi
Scott
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As a guide to the Orthodox art of prayer this book is ideal. There is much repetition, but I find sometimes we need that repetition. A slight twist in how a sentence is phrased, or a slightly different context, can mean the difference between understanding and not. Highly recommended for anyone interested in true prayer rather than a superficial litany of material wants and desires.
Maureen E
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an Orthodox Christian anthology, largely taken from the Philokalia, on prayer. It includes sections from St. Theophan the Recluse, St. Ignaty Brianchininnov, and others. Highly recommended, although more for Orthodox than non-Orthodox.
Joanna Eleftheriou
May 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'll always be rereading this book, till I memorize it.
Angelica Madeline
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved every page, the kind of book you should carry with you everywhere or have by your bedside table and re-read over and over again. A true feast for the mind and heart. May God bless St. Theophan The Recluse and all the monks all over the world. “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have Mercy upon me, a sinner”.
Georgie Zhiw
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect.
Julio Alvarado
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this book based off of the recommendation to primarily focus on it's perspective on prayer but from how the ancient patriarchs heard the voice of God for their lives. This book had a few good insights into this process that I was looking for but the majority of the content of this book focus more on the traditional perspective of prayer in terms of what to say in prayer and quoting scripted prayers from different resources.
William Hecht
Oct 26, 2011
Angela Carlson
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Great Lent: Journey to Pascha
  • On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ: Selected Writings
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • Beginning to Pray
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • The Philokalia, Volume 1: The Complete Text
  • Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives:  The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
  • The Triads (Classics of Western Spirituality Series)
  • Bread & Water, Wine & Oil: An Orthodox Christian Experience of God
  • The Orthodox Study Bible
  • Christ the Eternal Tao
  • Wounded by Love
  • On Wealth and Poverty: St. John Chrysostom
His Excellency, the Most Reverend Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia (b. 1934, also known by his lay name, Timothy Ware) is a titular metropolitan of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Great Britain. From 1966-2001, he was Spalding Lecturer of Eastern Orthodox Studies at Oxford University, and has authored numerous books and articles pertaining to the Orthodox Christian faith.