Start by marking “In the Forests of the Night (Den of Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Forests of the Night (Den of Shadows, #1)

In the Forests of the Night (Den of Shadows #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  13,296 Ratings  ·  509 Reviews
I was born to the name of Rachel Weatere in the year 1684, more than three hundred years ago.

The one who changed me named me Risika, and Risika I became, though I never asked what it meant.  I continue to call myself Risika, even though I was transformed into what I am against my will.

By day, Risika sleeps in a shaded room in Concord, Massachusetts.  By night, she hunts th
Published August 11th 2009 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about In the Forests of the Night, please sign up.
Silverin I haven't read it yet but the author wrote this book when she was thirteen years old! So it should be readable by someone slightly younger than that.…moreI haven't read it yet but the author wrote this book when she was thirteen years old! So it should be readable by someone slightly younger than that. Also it's a vampire book so obviously there's going to be blood and themes of death. Which means it really comes down to the reader's interest/tastes.(less)

Bark
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this one in a day (it's only 147 pages after all) and though it was interesting it wasn't all that memorable.

In the Forest of the Night contains only 147 pages and those pages are filled with big fonts and lots of white space.

Risika is a 300 year old vampire who was turned and torn from everything she loved when she was only seventeen. The story flips back and forth between present day and the time when Risika was a mortal on the eve of her change.

I thought the past story was more engaging
Samantha Ortiz
Jennifer Burton
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!
Gehna
The main reason of picking up this book was that it is written by a 13 year old. I didn't really have high expectations but still I expected it to be better than usual YA stuff still it is written by a young girl and they are the figure of creativity. 3.5 stars to this good including a bonus star for not including romance, handsome vampires and werewolves.

*Spoilers Ahead*

This book is about Risika, a vampire who doesn't want to be a vampire. Anther and Aubrey (Aubrey is a guy, by the way. Wikiped
Susan
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well...So far this book is switching between the present, and 1701.
A vampire girl is telling you all the in's and out's about being a vampire. And disproving the myths we humans made out of thin air.
Then she starts to flash back to when she was alive, 300 years ago. She was killed when a very powerful vampire, who had been attacked by her brother, decided to choose her as her next victim. As payback for the what her brother had done to her.
After she was killed she then was forced to come
Alaina Meserole
“I am one of them.
I am also Rachel.
I am Risika”

(view spoiler)
Larissa
I picked up In the Forests of the Night at the same time that I found Vivian Vande Velde's Companions of the Night and read both books within weeks of each other. This title, however, did not stand up well to competition. But rather than launch into the dissection, I'd rather point out that the book was published when Atwater-Rhodes was 13 years old, and for a vampire novel written by a 13 year old, it's pretty damn good, or at the very least, peppered with a rather lot of small endearments. Atw ...more
Solace Winter
This book has high praise, probably because the author wrote it when she was thirteen. It's a young adult novel with no young adult themes. It's young adult in the fact that it was written by a young adult. Sure, there's a lack of romance or sexuality in it, but it doesn't make it young. It's full of blood, death, and the acceptance of becoming a murderer. The writing is obviously done by a young woman.

There is little actual development in characters, or plot. It's a rush of less than 150 pages
Kat Zantow
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads just recommended to me a book by Atwater-Rhodes, and I had a flashback to how much I enjoyed this book when I was in middle school.

What I remember: a strong female protagonist, shapeshifting vampires, general incivility in the vampire populace, and good old fashioned revenge.

This was a story I encountered long before the trope of 'stuffy moralizing vampire falls in love with teenage girl' nonsense. At least, I don't remember any of that. But I do remember scenes and moments. The same
Heather G Gentle
Can't get into the characters. Written a little strangely...but...

The premise is just interesting enough to have me want to see how the second book continues. If the second one isn't at least some improvement I'll probably skip the others..

And a very very quick read.

I don't do this often but I changed the stars on this one-- I just found out the author was 13 when she wrote this book-- that made me see it in a different light!
Lynne
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Love is the strongest emotion any creature can feel except for hate, but hate can't hurt you. Love, and trust, and friendship, and all the other emotions humans value so much, are the only emotions that can bring pain. Only love can break a heart into so many pieces.”
Risika, In the Forest of the Night, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

This is going to be another novel that is very difficult to talk about fairly. I first read this book right after it came out, and I have to say it changed me. I won't preten
Maddison
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! Little short read, but full of action! And also jumps between 2 times, back in the 1700s, (view spoiler) and the present time, (view spoiler) It never occurred to me that (view spoiler) I love the (view spoiler) ...more
Ravencrantz
Yup, still love it. This book is like home to me, there's no way I can write an impartial review. I'm so happy I'm still able to love and enjoy it after all these years.
Matt
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA readers and anyone else into vampires, witches, fantasy, etc.
First let me say that I took no account to the fact that Amelia Atwater-Rhodes was only thirteen when she wrote this book until after reading it. Why? I find it can create preconceived notions that may hinder one's true experience in reading the book. "Oh she's only fourteen, no wonder she wrote that" "Oh she's fourteen? Well I was going to give this book four stars, but since the writer is only fourteen, I'm going to give it five." This to me is unfair. While it is definitely commendable to get ...more
Mandy
The story is about Risika a three hundred year old vampire who doesn’t get attached to humans who lives in Concord, Massachusetts. Before she was turned her name was Rachel, she lived with her family and she was happy she loved her family. Her twin brother had his own struggles issues with controlling his abilities with fire as well as the voices. When Rachel encounters her brother one night in the dark her life changes forever when she meets Aubrey and Ather.

Ather transforms Rachel into a vamp
Violet
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ellen Shaw
I will start out by saying that I read this book after I read 'Demon in my View' (yes it still made sense)

With that out of the way, Demon in my View lead me to read this one, I only gave it three stars (as well as demon) because while the writing was exeptional (and somewhat cliche/overdone/juvenile at points) and there was a real story line, there wasn't enough!

I wanted this to go farther, I wanted there to be deep rooted explanations of all these people mentioned. Whenever a character was int
Lauren
I hadn't realised the authors age (when she wrote the book) when I picked this one up. It was fine enough for a short novella but there wasn't enough of a story here. What it needed was another character to offset the predator mindset. The lead girl Rachel was well written for the type of person she was but the emotional impact would have been better with another person. I appreciated that a teenager in the 1700's wasn't unrealistically educated with the exception of her admitting she was outspo ...more
chucklesthescot
Jul 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, youngadult
Risika is an old vampire who is being followed by someone from her past who has a grudge against her.
300 years ago Risika was turned into a vampire against her will by the one who stalks her and his powerful allies. She knows the only way to survive is to kill him but is she strong enough to do it?

This is not a particularly exciting book. It is a short novella about this vampire who wants revenge on those who turned her. You get a short chapter on her thinking about this followed by a brief bit
Owen
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this. It was written when the author was thirteen, and it is impressive that it was published, but the writing was very amatuer. (Did I spell that right?) I'm hoping she will get better. As for the plot, it was pretty nonexistent. It felt more like a setup or first half of a novel, but it kind of is considering it's only 147 pages; a novella. I'd say Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is one of my reading guilty pleasures, since she isn't an amazing writer but her b ...more
Lucie Bergsten
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really shows how someone who would of turned into a vampire would feel. The whole book goes back and forth from the present to the past. It gives different points of view of Risika (or Rachel)
from before she was a vampire and how much she's changed now. She lived in the 1700s before she was turned. After finding her brother is killed she's turned into a vampire and struggles with having to kill to survive. In the present she doesn't really stay to long with people so that they don't no
Night Fury
May 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preteens
Shelves: vampire
I didn't understand this book. What point did it have? Mostly it just talked about a vampire chick and about her past, how she got turned in to a vampire, and her feud with her arch-enemy, Aubrey. I'm sorry, but despite Atwater-Rhodes age, her writing SUCKED. I'm the same age the author when she published In the Forests of the Night, and even I can write better than she can! (I'm sorry if I sounded full of myself there, but its what my sister said) You can tell she probably wrote it in a couple ...more
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
i thought this book looked interesting, and then when i read on the back that it had been written by a thirteen-year-old, i became even more curious (being a teenager myself, who wants to get published). i read it pretty fast; it was good. was it amazing? not really. but it was impressive that she wrote it at such a young age. have i written anything just as good or maybe something better than this? probably. i think there was just some coincidence where the author's english teacher just HAPPENE ...more
Midway through the Forests, the lead character - Rachel? Risika? MarySue? - poses the question: "What happens to the damned when they die?" Well, sweetie, they end up in novels like this. Atwater-Rhodes shows us more of a snapshot than a plot here, and it's the kind of pic that ends up gracing a MySpace profile. Credit for being marginally better than her second novel. Demerits for attempts at literary pretension without the skillz to back it up. (C'mon, Blake's Tyger? That's all you've got? Ca ...more
Sarah Marie
In the Forests of the Night was a book I had been looking forward to read. I am glad I checked this book out at the library instead of buying because I would've demanded my money back. The book was boring and short. I felt like I wasn't getting the complete story and that the book wasn't really even book. I wished the book would've been better, but I'm still going to try to read the other books in the Den of Shadows.
Emily
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight lovers or vampire, magical being types
Shelves: book-club
This book was worth reading. I couldn't put it down, but I had to go to sleep. But the book over all was awesome. I think that the book might have god-modding, meaning that the character(s) acts like an invincible person. I say this because of the part where Risika battled Aubrey. I think that her brother, Alexander, shouldn't have hid himself from Risika. I recommend this book for Twilight lovers or vampire, magical being types. This book was over all good.
Jessica
DNF. I tried to give this book a fair shake but then i realized i was writing my review in my head already and not even engaged in the book anymore so i figured there was no point in finishing. Not all the sentences are simplistic but i kinda felt like i was reading a see spot run book. Maybe it was because it was written in 1st person present tense which isnt a format i really like. Add that to the fact that i was halfway in and there was still no plot? Pass.
Sara
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel bad giving this book a low rating because I try to be nice to writer's, as I am one, and in the author's defense she was extremely young when she wrote this. But honestly this book was one of the reasons that I try my hardest to stay away from vampire books. The vampires turning into animals was a cool touch but besides that this book was way too full of vampire cliches and frankly that really turned me off.
V Mignon
May 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books, ya
I read this when I was thirteen. Even then, it was one of those books I read because I gained entertainment out of how bad it was. Despite these feelings about this set of books, I'm actually quite glad to read that Atwater-Rhodes is doing well. Big part of my junior high school life. I even had the magazine, where they interviewed her. Now I'm showing my age.

These books aren't very good, but I have fond memories of them.
Nikki
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a strange little book. I bought this for a few bucks on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised. Even more surprised when I found out the author was only thirteen when she wrote this.

It was a short read and I was able to finish it in just a few hours. I haven't read a vampire story in awhile so it was a nice change for me. This one wasn't all sparkles and glitter and a mushy love story. In fact there wasn't any romance at all.

It says this is a YA but it doesn't come across as one.
  • The Silver Kiss
  • Companions of the Night
  • Betrayed (Fingerprints, #5)
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Escape (Sons of the Dark, #2)
  • Look for Me by Moonlight
  • Vampire High
  • Silver Eyes (Violet Eyes, #2)
  • Gateway to the Gods (Everworld, #7)
  • Vamped (Vamped, #1)
  • Thirsty
  • 666: The Number of the Beast
I grew up in Concord, Massachusetts, where I matriculated through the public Concord-Carlisle school district from kindergarten until my graduation in 2001. The best part of school, from fifth grade until the year I graduated, was definitely chorus. I love music, and I love to sing, and though I never had the courage or the talent to participate in any of the high school plays as a performer, I en ...more
More about Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Den of Shadows (9 books)
  • Demon in My View (Den of Shadows, #2)
  • Shattered Mirror (Den of Shadows, #3)
  • Midnight Predator (Den of Shadows, #4)
  • Persistence of Memory (Den of Shadows, #5)
  • Token of Darkness (Den of Shadows, #6)
  • All Just Glass (Den of Shadows, #7)
  • Poison Tree (Den of Shadows, #8)
  • Promises to Keep (Den of Shadows, #9)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
  • This Is Where It Ends
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
“Love is the strongest emotion any creature can feel except for hate, but hate can't hurt you. Love, and trust, and friendship, and all the other emotions humans value so much, are the only emotions that can bring pain. Only love can break a heart into so many pieces. ” 529 likes
“Those who cannot be aggressive are hunted down while they shiver and hide because the night is dark.” 50 likes