Start by marking “City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #2)” as Want to Read:
City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #2)

City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  18,714 Ratings  ·  737 Reviews
From the celebrated imagination of Dean Koontz comes a powerful reworking of one of the classic stories of all time. If you think you know the legend, you know only half the truth. Here is the mystery, the myth, the terror, and the magic of...
Dean Koontz's City of the Night
They are stronger, heal better, and think faster than any humans ever created-andthey must be destr
Published June 29th 2007 by Bantam Books (first published July 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about City of Night, please sign up.

Mike (the Paladin)
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, thriller
Well....that was interesting. If I could I'd give this one a 3.5.

It picks up almost at the instant the first book ends and follows the story, the characters. It takes a little while to get back to the, development, at the end of said first book. But...oh my....it spins us some new threads.

My concern here is that Mr. Kontz may spin this one out so that he has too many plot threads. He writes good "serviceable" prose. At times he comes across as gifted but his novels (for me) are a mixed bag. Som
Nymphsin
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Koontz and horror. This book was GREAT!
Recommended to Nymphsin by: My aunt Cheryl.
WOW!
Great Book!
The developing story between Ducalion and his maker keep you turning the page.
The New Race has minions fanned out all over the city in very prestigiuos positions.
The Old Race (human's) seems doomed as many have already died at the hands of Victor Helios's New Race.
The relationship between Micheal and Carson also begins to evolve and one becomes more vocal with their feelings.
Carson's younger and autistic brother (Arnie) befriends Ducalion and their relationship is wonderfully writ
[Name Redacted]
A marked improvement over the drivel of the first album, marred only by the unfortunate decision to kill off the only character I really liked. The change of co-authors was a huge help; the style of prose has improved; and while Deucalion and the detectives still feel like unfortunately cliched pastiches, the supporting cast (Randal Six, Cyndi & Ben, and Erika Five in particular) really stands out and any of them could have carried a whole novel on their own.

I hated the first book so much (
Tanya
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bring on the next book! These are fun!
Stephen
3.5 stars. A good sequel to Prodigal Son and I thought the story-line improved from the last book. Looking forward to the third book in the series when it is released.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Michael followed the old woman, glanced back at Carson, and said, "Come on, bitch, this'll be fun."
-Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, City of Night, Chapter 22

I am excited to be re-reading this series with other Koontzlanders. In City of Night we learn the great truth of Snuggle, the fabric softener bear :
"Most of the time when he giggled, he covered his mouth with one paw. I always thought he didn't want you to see his teeth."
"Snuggle had bad teeth?" She asked.
"I figured they were rows of tiny vici
Maciek
Volume two marks an improvement over the first book - the characters are still stiff and the dialogue is as contrived as ever, but the plot is more interesting and the story better paced. This might have to do with the change of the co-writer - Dean Koontz and Ed Gorman are old pals, so work on that book must have been much more pleasant than on the first volume. It even made me curious to read book three, which Koontz wrote alone. I hope it won't blow up like Eyjafjallajökull.
Cindy
Dear Mr Koontz, You are amazing. That is all. I have been a fan of DK since I was in high school but I put off reading this series for a few years for whatever reason. But this is not your grandma's Frankenstein. It's Koontz all over! I could not put it down and picked up the second book as soon as I finished the first.
X
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How can a book about a modern-day Frankenstein and a city full of monsters bent on destroying the world be dull? This book had such a good premise, but just didn't live up to my expectations.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This was not as good as the first and I will probably stop here with this series. I'm just not that interested in reading more. Koontz is really hit or miss with me for the past 10 years.
Greg Z
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first in this series was "just okay", but good enough to read a little more. This is not good Koontz. But he is giving another author a chance in the publishing world, and there are some pretty cool twists and turns. This material is too violent for me, but now I wanna know what happens to all five Erikas. I think a group of women are going to arise and take a horrific vengeance against the still-alive Victor Frankenstein and these ladies will be joined by the original monster. It might be b ...more
John
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
After not liking the first book in the series, why did I ever talk myself into reading book 2? Oh wait! It is because I love Shelley’s Frankenstein so much and thought maybe, just maybe the series would get better. And I have to say, this was better than the first book, but only just.

I liked the exploration of humanity and what separates us from the animals. Frankenstein wants to create the New Race and improve on humans, but in trying to do so, he blunders into a creation that is much more ani
Perry Reed
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm writing one review for all four (so far) of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein books.

In the Koontz take on the Frankestein story, the old Mary Shelley novel was based on true events. And old Dr. Victor Frankenstein (now called Victor Helios) and his monster (who now goes by the name Deucalion) have survived to the present day. Deucalion is no longer a monster in thought and deed, but has learned a lot about the universe and his place in it, some of that knowledge coming from Tibetian monks with whom
Matthew West
Disappointingly mediocre follow up to the original.

The brisk pace of Prodigal Son continues in City of Night, set immediately after the events of the first novel, though it lacks the punch and excitement of its more entertaining sibling.
There is nothing particularly interesting about City of Night. I think it was a mistake to set it straight after Prodigal Son, as all of the best plot devices have been used up already and Koontz can't quite establish the same energetic ideas that were in the o
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following on from ‘The Prodigal Son’ Koontz takes the original Frankenstein story and creates something wonderful. Taking the idea of the classic story, Koontz places Frankenstein and his monster in the modern world. This story leaves you asking who the real monster is – whether it the grotesque monster happens to be the real monster or whether the creator of such a creature was the real monster.

Following on from the first book, the characters are still dealing with the same problem that they or
Angie
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror, monsters medical experiment
Recommended to Angie by: no one
Shelves: dean-koontz, horror
I enjoyed this more than the first as the two detectives weren't as annoying. Victor Helios, or Frankenstein is busy making his creations to take over and kill all the 'old race' .

But things are not going according to plan only he refuses to see this. I feel sorry for all of the new race, they are all so damaged. And changing. I will think this is making them incredibly dangerous because they are starting to do things of there on accord and not to a plan.

Deucalion was not in this as much as the
Karen
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmm, so far this series is not some of my favorites of Dean Koontz, and this one is worse than the first one. I really don't like books which fail to resolve anything, and are simply chapters of a larger story. Individual books of a series should still be able to stand alone. I'll continue with the series and hope it improves.
Teresa
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-usa, e4
Livro II da história de Frankenstein, segundo Dean Koontz. Tal como o primeiro, assim que começo a ler, já não consigo parar. É composto por capítulos bem curtos que mal terminam nos arrastam, irresistivelmente, para o seguinte. As descrições de cenas de terror são "salpicadas" por doses de humor, o que atenua qualquer mal estar que essas cenas possam provocar. Muito bom.
Kimberly
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one. The abrupt ending was a little frustrating but I didn't mind it. In City of Night you see that Victor's plans and creations are not working out like he imagined they would but he refuses to see it. Even though it's a little slow it's still interesting to see all the little cracks get bigger. can't wait to start the third!
Patrick Kiernan
I think Dean Koontz intended this book to be more of a bridge to link in the series. The book mainly just focused on the main plots of the series, it didn't really have a separate story like the first book. But saying all that I really enjoyed the book, the flow from book 1 to book 2 was excellent.
Charles
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is the second in Koontz's Frankenstein Trilogy, set in New Orleans. This one was written with Ed Gorman. I don't know who did most of the writing, but it certainly read more like Koontz to me. It was really good, a real page turner with the situation escalating dramatically from book 1. It ends on a cliffhanger so you'll probably want to have book 3 around when you finish. I do and will start it immediately.
Gary Smith
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this down. Loving how the story is coming together. I may even re-read the fourth novel, granted i read that first not knowing it was a series, it would probably flow a lot better since im reading the previous books to the series. Cant wait to start book three. Deucalion is a badass! Hes awesome!
Hazi
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd book in a series can sometimes lose the rhythm of a story and you slog through it just to find out what happens to the main character (Odd Thomas). That does not happen here. You can hear the countdown clock ticking behind every word.
Accalia
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collection-read
Chilling ... Can't stop, must read the next one!
Kelsey Jayy
I did not enjoy reading this. It felt like when I read Twilight all over again- flipping pages waiting for the good part that never happened. It was a lot of talking and plotting without much acting on the talking and plotting (kind of like Lex Luthor). There was much filler, but since I tolerate Dragon Ball Z, filler capital of forever, I tolerated it here. The book was well written, yeah, but nothing really happened and it kept hitting you over the head with the last book constantly. The Randa ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!!

I mean... why wasn't I reading it all these years ago?

Oh yeah... cuz I didn't think Dean Koontz would be any good.

I retract everything I have ever thought of the man... he is indeed the most awesome storyteller!!

PLOT
Deucalion is still on his mission to rid the world of his creator Victor Helios (aka Frankenstein). Still teamed up with Carson and Michael it's just a couple days after book 1 and so many things are falling apart. Can they track him down before the Old Race be
 Marla
2.5 stars. Disjointed storylines jump around and there are too many characters to keep straight or care about.

Story threads: Victor's wife - Erica 5 wandering around their mansion, Garbage dump and employees, Randall 6 stalking Arnie O'Connor, Vicki caring for Arnie at home, Carson O'Connor and Michael Maddison investigating new race, Deucalian's activities, Victor experimenting, Cindy and Benny stalking Carson and Michael, and other miscellaneous new race characters.

I just don't care. I'm aband
Marsha
It seems that Koontz has done it again, this time with the able assistance of Ed Gorman (what happened to Anderson?). This time they turn the screws even tighter, predicting a decidedly bleak outcome of humanity’s yet unengaged war with the New Race.

Victor’s creations are breaking down one by one. The so-called singularities that he has dismissed as interesting mistakes are happening more and more frequently. Without being commanded to do so, his new beings are killing human beings, reveling in
Samantha
I love that this series takes place in New Orleans, La. I can vividly picture the places they are talking about in my head with a little help from the author. This book has a unique take on Frankenstein and the mad scientists. However, the action is slow to build. As the story is unfolding, there are several aspects that are predictable and some that are not. As I read the book I want to scream, "Hurry up and do something already!!" The detectives have finally realized that they are not alone an ...more
Meran
Dr Victor's creations are replacing important people of New Orlean's at the rate of 5 per day. However, his older creations are seeking different things on their own: happiness, death, mercy -- and sometimes finding it, which nearly always ends up with a dead body somewhere.

We see more of Dr Victor's organization (home, lab, garbage dump) and more of his creations (from Alphas to Epsilons); and Erika 5, wife #5. And some of them are evolving, on their own.

Interesting stuff!

This book, #2, expose
  • The Fall of the Dream Machine / The Star Venturers (Ace Double, 22600)
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Invasion
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Fountain Society
  • Nevermore
  • Twist of Fate: The Locket (The Blackstone Chronicles, #2)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein (5 books)
  • Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #1)
  • Dead and Alive (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #3)
  • Lost Souls (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #4)
  • The Dead Town (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #5)
“You know who used to scare me when I was a little kid? Snuggle the Bear."
"Do I know Snuggle?"
"In those TV ads for that fabric softener. Somebody would say how soft their robe was or their towels, and Snuggle the teddy bear would be hiding behind a pillow or creeping around under a chair, giggling."
"He was just happy that people were pleased."
"No, it was maniacal little giggle. And his eyes were glazed. And how did he get in all those houses to hide and giggle?"
"You're saying Snuggle should've been charged with B and E?"
"Absolutely. Most of the time when he giggled, he covered his mouth with one paw. I always thought he didn't want you to see his teeth."
"Snuggle had bad teeth?" she asked.
"I figured they were rows of tiny vicious fangs he was hiding. When I was maybe four or five, I used to have nightmares where I'd be in bed with a teddy bear, and it was Snuggle, and he was trying to chew open my jugular and suck the lifeblood out of me."
She said, "So much about you suddenly makes more sense than it ever did before."
"Maybe if we aren't cops someday, we can open a toy shop."
"Can we run a toy shop and have guns?"
"I don't see why not," he said.”
3 likes