Start by marking “Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know” as Want to Read:
Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know

Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know

NAMED BEST MARKETING BOOK OF 2011 BY THE AMERICAN MARKETING ASSOCIATION How organizations can deliver significant performance gains through strategic investment in marketing

In the new era of tight marketing budgets, no organization can continue to spend on marketing without knowing what's working and what's wasted. Data-driven marketing improves efficiency and effectivenes
Published February 8th 2010 by Wiley (first published January 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Data-Driven Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Data-Driven Marketing

Start your review of Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know
Jim Lavis
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Jeff Bezos had this book listed on his reading list, which I discovered in his book The Everything Store. I’m a bit surprised he rated-it as high as he did. In some ways the book was insightful when it comes to simplifying the key matrices needed to gauge a successful marketing campaign using big data.

The book did a fine job outlining the challenges many organizations have when it comes to interpreting big-data, but it fell short outlining the steps needed to create a successful data discovery
Shikhar Nigam
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, nothing new if you've studied business before, work in marketing or are involved in any kind of corporate function job. Works best as an extended blog article.
Rocio
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
As some of the other readers who reviewed this book on Goodreads, I read this book because it was on Jeff Bezo's reading list at the end of "The Everything Store". It gives you a great understanding of why Amazon is so data-driven and ultimately why they are so wildly successful.

Old-fashioned intuitive marketing has no room in the contemporary world. It is obviously necessary to come up with creative ways to craft a message, but the channels, strategies and ultimate growth need to be data-drive
Alejandro I Sanoja
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a MUST for every marketer, and a should for anyone in sales and/or business in general. No wonder it got selected as book of the year by the American Marketing Association in 2011.

Although there are a lot of details and formulas, which might scare some people, I recommend you to toughen up and keep going with the book. Even if it takes a while to read. There are insightful stories that will spark your creativity, as well as processes that will help you measure you marketing efforts in w
Rick Wong
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book focuses on one of the most important hard skills for product and engineering leadership.
Even though it centralizes on marketing, the techniques and principles for measuring success are phenomenal and applicable to the world of product and engineering. It is easy to see why this is one of Jeff Bezo's most recommended books.

Once your career enters leadership, especially in today's data driven world, this book should be a must read. Mark Jeffrey creates a clear roadmap that connect all
Siva
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Good one for the people who have a prior understanding of the metrics. A big no to the people who are planning to start the book from scratch. if in case someone is doing the same, then you need to spend a little bit of time on youtube or, other mediums to deep dive various topics.
I enjoyed the book because I have worked in most of the metrics in my career, although the book got a bit boring towards the end.
Rajesh Arumugam
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
It is okay-ish book I would say. I don't know people who are not into marketing would understand it easily. It certainly has some useful insights. But it was boring at many places. I admit that I made some notes to refresh.
Mike
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book, definitely worth a read if you are in marketing. Understand the value of the customer, the ROMI, and other important aspects of marketing.
Matthew Hodge
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, business
Somewhat technical and a bit dated but very thought-provoking. Now to work out how to put it all in practice!
Lam
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite cemprensive marketing metric guideline. However, it requires much data analysis and whole infrastructure to do it well
Ahmed
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book awesome, as it simply shows the conclusion of most of marketing campaignin numbers
Divalish Smile
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very handy book regardless of when it was written. Timeless info that has been used during my marketing class.
MMFzl
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Outdated
Luke Lawrence
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this because it was on Jeff Bezos list. but God this book was boring, a little useless if your are already well versed in marketing, and information that has been standard for over a decade now.
Paul DeBusschere
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
My background is not in marketing, it's in information technology, so I readily connected with Jeffery's message, which is that organizations can perform better by measuring their marketing efforts. Although this should be intuitively obvious, Jeffery demonstrates convincingly why organizations fail in the area of measuring ROMI. Having nearly twenty years of experience in IT, I can attest that this phenomenon isn't isolated to marketing organizations.

I rated the book four stars only because Jef
Bharti
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mb
Manu
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting details about how technology driven marketing has become today. the 15 metrics that Mark have shared are pretty interesting & form the basis of data driven marketing. Any marketing organization would need to have the set up to track & measure these metrics. What was most interesting in this book was the real time examples to measure & track marketing in B to B world which has always been a big challenge when it comes to marketing operations. I really got some actionable insights ...more
John
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, 2017-books
3.5 stars. Boring at times but obviously not meant to be super entertaining. If you do any kind of marketing work, or some kind of data work related to marketing, it's probably worth the time investment.
Bryan Rahija
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business
3.5 stars. solid breakdown of the basics of analytical marketing. would've been great to see a bit more detail on how to execute some of the models described, and a bit more detail on experimental design, but overall an informative read, and a decent way to keep the MBA skills sharp. obviously you should ignore this book unless you are in the marketing field (and probably only in marketing for larger companies).
Katie Lyon
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book gives a great overview to new and experienced marketers alike on the how/why of measuring marketing effectiveness. It is jam-packed with applicable stories, and also gives access to user tools/templates. A must read for anyone in business!
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mba, 2012
The book is pretty easy to read, but the sheer volume of the acronyms around every page turn had me wishing I made a cheat sheet. I like the idea of finding a way to put hard numbers to what is normally considered a soft skill.
Andrew Gallagher
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a dry book, that is not read for enjoyment. It gives the non-data business person an insight into the data-driven aspect of business. I am happy to have read it, though I would not recommend picking it up for leisure.
Gina
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Very basic but can be used as a reminder to always keep metrics front-of-mind.
Sam
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview and description of marketing metrics. Good info as it relates to my understanding of data warehousing and analytics and the tie in to specifics of marketing area.
Ionut Tudor
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good book with good insights.
Jean-baptiste
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Useful. Many tips and case study.
Cindy
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Need more in-depth technique but very informative for beginners
Roxanna
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
It's reads like a text book do harder to read on your own vs. classroom or group learning.
Cody Ray
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I flew through this book and am now going back through it taking copious notes. My favorite marketing book by far. And I'm a software engineer. So much goodness in here!
Felix Liao
May 29, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: business
On Jeff Bezo's reading list

• Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Only the Paranoid Survive. Lessons from the CEO of INTEL Corporation
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital
  • Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into a Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com
  • Bold: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World
  • Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur
  • The Outsiders: Eight Unconventional CEOs and Their Radically Rational Blueprint for Success
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

News & Interviews

“In a way, if you are the data-driven marketing business owner, your position is similar to the owner of a football team. You don’t get to train the players or call the plays, you just get to pay the bills but really need results to sell tickets and keep the stadium full.” 0 likes
“IRR is technically calculated by setting the NPV equation to zero and solving for r = IRR.” 0 likes