Start by marking “Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)” as Want to Read:
Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)

Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  663 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
A smart and successful young attorney, Gail Connor is on the verge of a partnership at a major law firm in the "new" Miami, a city more Latin than Anglo, with a dark side that slides right into the Everglades. But Gail's success at work has masked failure in her personal life: an empty marriage, a daughter she hardly knows, and a past she would rather forget. Then her sist ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by Signet (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Suspicion of Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suspicion of Innocence

Kallia
What an excellent and exciting novel! Can't wait to start the sequel.

By about halfway through I had a guess as to who the killer was, and ended up being right. But the story is written with enough twists and turns that you aren't 100% sure until the very last page.

Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of the novel is the relationship between Gail and Anthony. I found myself reading through as quickly as I could, hoping for Anthony to pop up again.

Overall, a fun and easy mystery with just enough of a
Ronald Keeler
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is almost a generic murder mystery, but it is interesting in its presentation. There is a surprise ending, which I, of course, will not reveal. Somewhere around halfway through the book, I made a correct guess as to the killer, but I had no idea until the end as to the motive. There were enough minor mysteries as the book progressed to keep reader interest alive as various theories, suspects, and motives were adopted and discarded.

I first read the Kindle sample. In the first chapter Jimmy P
Carol Carmichael
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable read.
Hillary
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book follows a litigation lawyer named Gail Connor and she has been working so hard at her law firm and is on the verge of a partnership. She has a successful work life but her personal life, like her marriage, is falling apart. One day her younger sister, Renee, is found dead with her wrists slashed and originally they think this is a suicide but upon further investigation the police believe that someone murdered Renee and they think that Gail did it. Growing up and especially as adults Ga ...more
Barbara ★
Bleh....This was my mother's favorite author/series and I just can't imagine why. The plot is uninteresting and bland; a typical day in the life story of a female lawyer who is accused of murdering her sister. This book developed exactly as I expected. There were zero surprises and it just plodded along. I guess back in 1994, when it was written, it might not have been so cliched and unoriginal but today in 2012, I've read this story a hundred times and this one doesn't do anything new and diffe ...more
Gramy
This was a novel about the intense circumstances brought upon Gail Connor when her estranged sister is found dead possibly murdered) immediately after a party they both attended at their mother’s home, leaving her utterly confused about her complicated feelings about their past together, her present circumstances, and her unknown future. She is especially concerned about her newly developed relationship with Anthony Guintana, a well-known Cuban criminal attorney. There was no lack of suspects in ...more
Cindy
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm making my way through a whole bunch of free kobo book club books and this was one of them. Having formerly worked in a library, I knew this author's work took up like a shelf of space, so I felt reassured that it wouldn't be complete garbage. I was not wrong. It's not a bad read at all. Gail Connor is a lawyer (yay) and it's pretty obvious from the get go that she's going to be suspected of causing her sister's death. While there seemed to be many side stories and useless characters, don't b ...more
Connie
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was very slow at the beginning but started speeding up towards about page 100. The story seems similar to another story that I had read, but the ending was quite different. It takes place in Miami and was about a murder and her sister was accused of the crime. The sisters never really got along and the police felt she had motive to slash her sisters wrists even though there was no clear evidence to this.

I am glad that I didn't give up on this book and would like to read the rest in the ser
Sandy Bartles
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Suspicion of innocence

I bought a copy of this book years ago, when it first came out, and I have read each consecutive book in this series. I wish the author would write more Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana books.

The author began getting my attention at the first page and the tension increased with each page thereafter. Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana, as lawyers, make the perfect adversaries. I enjoyed watching them grow closer as things fell apart in Gail's personal life. I loved how he was
Scilla
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Gail Connor is an up and coming attorney in Miami. Her work has caused a rift in her marriage. Her younger sister, Renee is found in the Everglades with slices in her wrists. Gail has also been estranged with her sister, but tries to help her mother with the funeral and estate. She finds an interesting Indian mask in her sister's apartment which soon has an important place all that happens. She soon finds out that homicide is investigating her sister's death and her husband has been having a pla ...more
Kellie
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
My neighbor gave me a box of paperbacks to do with as I see fit. I was so excited to have a ton of "candy" to read when my bookshelves were empty. Ahhhh this book sucked. Really there is no way around it. The characters were so blah. The main character was so unlikeable I about tossed the book several times. I simply did not care what happened to the self centered beeyotch. Not one to give up, at least the mystery element picked up about half way thru the book. But even that is a stretch. Avoid ...more
Margarette
Oct 12, 2009 rated it liked it
The story is about a young attorney, whose sister is killed. The younger sister having been a thorn in her side her entire life gives the local police reason to suspect her of the killing. She starts her own investigation as to what and with whom her sister was associating and discovers she has several nefarious friends. together a good plot and character development made this an interesting and good read.
Linda
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a murder mystery through the eyes of an attorney and the families of those involved. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. Even though I thought I'd figured out the ending about three quarters of the way through there was another twist at the end that totally took me by surprise

This was a quick read that you won't want to put down once you begin.
Mary
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
An easy read. About a lawyer in Miami whose sister commits suicide but the police realize quite quickly that it was a murder. I thought I had it figured out a couple of times but there's a surprise twist at the end; I have to say, I didn't see it coming. This was a free but from the Kobo Book Club.
Linda
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the first in a series and it is good enough that I will read the second one soon. The heroine is a flawed but likeable woman living in Miami about 20 years ago. She is a lawyer and it is interesting to see how life has changed in the last 20 years. Not much mention of computers and none of cell phones.
Kim Bamber
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Open Road Integrated Media for the electronic copy in exchange for an honest review.

I read SUSPICION OF INNOCENCE years ago, and fell in love with the main characters all over again. Lots of great twists and turns that shock and surprise you the whole way through.
Trina
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Wow! This book was pure agony in the beginning. I even thought about abandoning it! But I stuck it out and about half way through, it became interesting! I actually enjoyed the last half. Happy I stuck with it, but because it started out so slow, I can only give it 3 stars!
Allison
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The books in the "Suspicion" series are hard to put down. They're the perfect mix of mystery and romance (set in the Miami area)! They aren't exactly intellectually engaging, but sometimes it's nice to have a break from all the intense non-fiction!
Tulay
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be patient....

Have to be patient with this story, time to time you'll feel like putting it down. Characters described good, people that knows Spanish will enjoy it more. American Indians, Cuba and Tequesta mask. Warning, ending will make you sick to your stomach.
Judith Kerr
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Well plotted mystery. Knowing little about Florida and the influx of Cubans, I learned a lot from this book.
Patti Terbrueggen
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book.

Good suspense. Good character development. Lots of twists and turns. didn't want to put it down. Look forward to more of her work
Craig
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imported
Slow to get started. But good overall
Katharine Ott
"Suspicion of Innocence" - written by Barbara Parker and published in 1994 by Dutton. Entertaining murder mystery.
Mallorie
Not the best - poorly edited/translated into a digital copy. Predictable - sexuality seemed odd, not enough build up or thought to bother putting it in...
Deb Stevens
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
An easy read, enjoyable mystery.
Jody
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
My newest "favorite" author! Writes about the Miami area so I can identify with the location.
Teri Hand
Oct 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Barbara Parker takes you to the edge of your seat in her Gail Connor series.
Carol
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I think she writes better than Scottolini with more depth and ambience. Great read, quickly became a movie.
carolyn
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!

Couldn't put this book DOWN. I love a good mystery and this was one of the best. Full of twists and turns. Can't read wait to read the second book.
Leslie
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read..........Gail and Anthony together again!
  • Interest Of Justice
  • The Hambledown Dream
  • Peril
  • Garden of Evil (Britt Montero, #6)
  • Maisie Dobbs Bundle #3: The Mapping of Love and Death and A Lesson in Secrets: Books 7 and 8 in the New York Times Bestselling Series (Maisie Dobbs Novels)
  • Invasion of Privacy (Nina Reilly #2)
  • Twelve Hours (Dan Morgan #4)
  • Boy in the Water
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • The Silent Bride (April Woo, #7)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Barbed-Wire Kiss (Harry Rane, #1)
  • Most Wanted
  • Capitol Conspiracy (Ben Kincaid, #16)
  • The Shadow (Borrowing Abby Grace, #1)
  • The Prosecution
Barbara Parker (1946 or 1947–2009) was an American mystery writer. She wrote 12 novels, the first of which, Suspicion of Innocence, was a finalist for the Edgar Allan Poe Award for best first mystery novel by an American author. Parker was on the national board of the Mystery Writers of America and was the chair of its membership committee for two years.
More about Barbara Parker...

Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana (8 books)
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • Suspicion of Deceit (Gail Connor/Anthony Quintana, #3)
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Suspicion of Malice (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #5)
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • Suspicion of Madness (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #7)
  • Suspicion of Rage (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #8)