Start by marking “The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5)” as Want to Read:
The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5)

The God Catcher

(Forgotten Realms)

Walk the line between magic and madness in Erin M. Evan’s passionate story about the dragons of the City of Splendors...

Tennora would give anything to be a wizard. And Clytemorrenestrix, a strange woman with uncanny blue eyes, whose name means “She Will Thunder in the Sky,” and who claims to be a dragon, promises to make her just that–in return for aid in returning her to
Published February 2nd 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The God Catcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God Catcher

Start your review of The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5)
Travis
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The God Catcher by Erin M. Evans- This is the fifth book released in the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep series of stand-alone novels. This series contains five other entries, which are all written by different authors. With all stand-alone novel series, any of the other entries can be read out-of-order. The series is set in the Forgotten Realm universe. The other novels in the series includes; Blackstaff Tower by Steven E. Schend, Mistshore by Jaleigh Johnson, Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie, ...more
Jim Tyler
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most books based on Dungeons and Dragons you'll keep thinking how the abilities they are demonstrating fall into class categories, but the story is a relatively short introduction to characters and their home in Waterdeep. I enjoyed it and certainly would recommend as a book on Forgotten Realms and Dungeons and Dragons, and it works well as a not so pulp but certainly not epic fantasy.
Lee Dunning
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lot of books tied into a franchise, in this case Dungeons & Dragons, are sneered at as somehow inferior to "real" books. While I have admittedly read many stinkers along these lines, this was not one of them, and it shouldn't be avoided simply because it has the Forgotten Realms logo displayed at the top of the cover. It has a well developed story, with several likable characters, and an interesting premise.

I've owned the paperback edition of this book for several years now, probably since
Brian Chafin
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty generic genre novel. Read it only if you are a D&D junky.
The good: The pace is good. It never bogs down.
The mediocre: The characters are stock and not very interesting. The plot is a common one without significant twists. Except for the God Catcher itself, all the other settings are nondescript and generic.
The bad: On several occasions, the plot was moved forward only through incredible feats and events. And a seemingly bottomless supply of throwing stars.
Hanson Ho
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
So much fun! It feels like watching a really good D&D session - and I mean that in the best way possible.
Liam
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy Erin M Evans.
Sue
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The God Catcher

An enjoyable read, a little slow to build the character but when the story picks up the adventure is quicker.
I prefer Erin Evans other works however
Chris
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While the Waterdeep series has been entertaining from the start, it has slowly gained momentum with each instalment, and this upward trajectory leads to this excellent novel, Erin M. Evans' first.

I had already read (and enjoyed) her second book, Brimstone Angels, so I expected good things from God Catcher - especially since she was the first author in the series that I actually knew of before reading the omnibuses. As Ed Greenwood says in the introduction, the book only gets more intense and
Forgotten Realms Queen
Nothing overly remarkable about the story. I can't even remember the character's names, but it was a fun story.

We join a young woman, trying to be a wizard in Waterdeep and failing, living in the decaying structure of a once-sentient guardian statue called the God Catcher. Now the God Catcher does not play much of a roll in this story, except to randomly spout prophecy that isn't really referenced ever again in the book.

Our young wizards runs into a woman who claims to be a dragon trapped in
Chris Jackson
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: RPG fans
Recommended to Chris by: Ed Greenwood
The God Catcher will Catch You Up!

Erin M. Evans’ debut novel, The God Catcher, a Forgotten Realms—Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep—story, is a wonderful tale that will catch you up in its magic and take you on a wonderful journey. I think I liked it best because it was a completely character driven experience. The city of Waterdeep is a delightful setting, and the plot is just twisty enough without being confusing, but the characters are what truly bring the tale to life. The plight of a girl
Anton
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A highly enjoyable piece of fantasy. Although it is set in the Ed Greenwood Forgotten Realms, it has much more to do with self-identity and friendship then with Dungeons and Dragons. Erin M. Evans delivers a compelling story that takes you through the streets of Waterdeep - that she makes you believe that it is as real as London or New York. The most impressive thing is, that she manages to deliver this sense of coherence without much exposition.
The only thing that bothers me is the ending ...

Yagiz Erkan
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
The God Catcher is a very fast-paced and a very enjoyable book. It quickly becomes a page-turner. I haven't read many Forgotten Realms books but this is pretty irrelevant in this stand-alone story.

Evans' style is very pleasant. I liked the dialogs in the book and the characters are well created (except Cassian who didn't materialize for me). The setting is not sophisticated as the story unfolds in the city called Waterdeep, City of Splendors, but the reader is captured by the plot so the lack of
Fabio Ticconi
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant Forgotten Realms tale, above average. Not my favourite but I would be interested in a follow-up novel.

I actually prefer this to Evans' main series, "Brimstone Angels". Well, I only read the first novel of those though.

EDIT: after finishing that series, I can say I was wrong: Brimstone Angels is pretty cool :)
Matt Cantrell
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Finally: female characters who are realistic, capable, and not overgrown teenagers obsessed with sex and boyfriends! This is a great book set in the fantasy genre that does a great job both telling a story AND illustrating the complex relationships between friends and family. Thank you Miss Evans! Can't wait for your next one!
Deb Richards
I am enjoying Erin's writing style; having a bit of a hard time remembering the characters as they all have fantastical names. Reminding me of a cross between the Harry Potter books and Lord of the Rings.
Juan
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really liked this one, left my at the end wanting to read more about the main characters.
Humfrey
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well written. Interesting plot.
Chad
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent read that mixes the elements of a thriller with the tastiness of the Forgotten Realms and Waterdeep. Fun, fun, fun.
Sean
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good Story. I really wish it would have ended differently though. Either way, worth the price.
Angela
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the story quite a bit although Tennora felt somewhat flat at times. The dragons were pretty cool though.
John Dixon
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Forgotten Realms book yet. It was a good read first and a D&D book second. It seems many other authors have trouble with this mix.
Andrew
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book with a unique and wholly innovative setting. The plot was very light on it's feet and kept you guessing, which is sometimes a rarity in this genre.
Gary
Matthew Brown
Jan 09, 2014
David Schumer
May 05, 2017

• City of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #4)
  • Blackstaff Tower (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Finding Baba Yaga: A Short Novel in Verse
  • Shadowrealm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #3)
  • The Last Threshold (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #23)
  • Charon's Claw (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #22)
  • Treachery's Wake (Dungeons & Dragons Novel)
  • Circle of Skulls (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep, #6)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • Shadowbane: Eye of Justice
  • The Godborn (The Sundering, #2)
  • Elfshadow (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #2; Songs & Swords, #1)
  • Naruto Box Set 1: Volumes 1-27
  • Pep Guardiola: The Evolution

Forgotten Realms (1 - 10 of 283 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)